About two-thirds of the U.S. population is obese or overweight; therefore, hardly anyone talks about ways to gain weight. However, being underweight or too thin is also a serious problem and those suffering from it face several issues. The clothes just seem to hang on your body, sometimes there is weakness and lack of energy and also it gives you the appearance of being sick. These are the minute issues with being underweight.
Are you one of those who eats junk food or all the forbidden foods yet are unable to gain weight? All this junk and fast food will only add bad fat to your body. If you are thin that doesn’t necessarily mean you are not at risk of high cholesterol. Being skinny fat is actually very dangerous. This means that since there are no other visible signs of heart diseases you can still have high levels of cholesterol or the HDL. So going for all the junk food is never a good idea. Another myth is that exercise is only for losing weight and people who are skinny think they don’t need to work out. This also adds to the bad cholesterol and lack of energy. Remember when looking for ways on how to gain weight fast you must add foods with nutrients to your diet and also do some form of physical activity. Sometimes if you are unable to gain weight even after trying really hard make sure you are not suffering from any of these serious underlying causes of being underweight. These include:
- An overactive thyroid known as hyperthyroid. This makes your metabolism too fast and cause unhealthy weight loss.
- Gluten intolerance or the celiac disease
- Type-1 diabetes also causes severe weight loss and may often be undetected at early stages
- Any infections such as tuberculosis, ulcers or HIV.
If you don’t have any of these issues than follow some or all of these 30 ways to put on weight fast.
30. It’s Not About Eating Anything and Everything
In order to gain weight you have to increase your calorie intake. Eating more food will certainly make you gain weight but remember higher calories intake is not just about eating anything and everything. When you start to gain weight you either gain muscle or you gain fat. Yes, you will gain by eating more but it is about gaining weight the healthy way i.e. in form of lean muscles; therefore, you need to be conscious of what you put in your mouth.
- Pack on foods which give you protein, good fat and carbs. Remember carbs are not always bad, natural carbohydrates which you get from fruits actually give you the necessary energy that you need for everyday activities.
- Stay away from foods that are high in added sugars and processed fats. The added sugar gets stored in our bodies in form of fat. This gives you metabolic syndrome, type-2 diabetes, Alzheimer and even causes premature ageing.
29. Consume More Calories than You Burn
In order to gain weight remember you should intake more calories than you burn. Obviously it is impossible to calculate the exact amount of calories you burn each day but on an average an adult woman burns somewhere between 1600-2100 calories in a day. There are a number of apps and the latest wearable technology makes it very easy to keep a track of calories you burn every day. In order to answer the question how to gain weight fast for women, the simple answer is consuming at least 500 extra calories that you may burn each day. If you are active whether you play sports, or workout in any way you should also get a rough estimate of how much calories you burn during each session of exercise. To gain weight fast your calorie intake can be estimated as follows:
- Inactive woman:1,600 + 500 + the calories you burned working out
- Active woman:2,100 + 500 + the calories you burned working out
- There are a number of apps available which you can use to estimate how much calories you burn in each exercise session. Simply put in your weight, the type of exercise you do and its intensity and the app will give you a rough idea about the calories burnt.
28. Eat Every Three Hours
One of the fastest way to gain weight is to eat every three hours. Whether you can have a full meal or a snack is totally up to you. If you delay eating by 6 hours or more, your body starts storing the food you eat. The way you can divide your meals is:
- Have your break fast
- Then you can have a small snack at around 11.00 am this could be a fruit or even a smoothie or a milk shake
- Have lunch at around 1.00 p.m., obviously this will be a full meal
- Then remember to snack on at afternoon tea time as well. You can have nuts or crackers or even a light sandwich at this time.
- Have dinner a bit early
- Just before bed time, also snack on something.
- This might be a bit difficult to do in the beginning, but slowly and with a bit of effort you can build up your appetite.
27. Pack Up on Protein
We have already told you that your target should be to gain muscles and not fat. Nothing builds muscle like protein. Try to have proteins in every meal of yours. Proteins provide you with the necessary energy and protect the muscles against wear and tear. Protein can be both animal and plant based. When trying to gain weight always kick start your day with a breakfast high in good proteins. Some good sources of proteins include:
- Dairy products
- Lean meat
- Seeds such as spirulina and hemp
26. Doing the Right Type of Exercise
The exercise that you chose can either really escalate your weight gain or be a hindrance, so choose wisely. Exercises such as running or jogging will completely back fire. Most of the aerobic and cardio routines burn way too many calories. If you do anything like that than obviously you have to increase your calorie intake by ten folds, which is quite difficult to do.
- Hit a gym and spend as much time as you can in the weight room. Pumping iron at least 2-4 times a week will definitely make you reach your weight gain goals.
- If you are new to training or are completely out of shape you might want to hire a trainer who will guide you about the exercises which make you bulkier
- To build your stamina initially you might want to do a cardio workout, but chose something with low intensity, which does not burn too much calories
- Don’t forget to have a pre-workout snack to give you the necessary energy.
- Go for resistance training, and always remember to increase your calories as you add exercises. This will help in muscle build up as the calories consumed will be transformed into muscles.
- Don’t forget to refuel post-workout.
25. Add More Butter and Oil
The usual advice is to avoid butter and oil but for someone who wants to know how to gain weight fast the simple rule is to add more of oil to your food when cooking and add just a bit more butter to your toast or bagel. However, a rule to remember here is that we need to watch what type of calories you intake. You don’t have to go all overboard here. Look for healthier alternatives.
- Use olive oil for cooking just increase its quantity. Olive oil is pure fat but it is the good kind of fat.
- You can find margarine and other spreads too which are made of olive or sunflower oil for this purpose.
24. Have More High-Calorie Snacks
As we already told you above that you need to eat every three hours. Whenever snacking opt for high-calorie snacks. Usually people who are unable to gain weight have high metabolism rates, if you keep on snacking on high calorie food throughout the day at regular intervals this will keep you from consuming all your calories. Remember you just need extra calories at regular intervals. Some high-calorie snack ideas:
- Whether you are having toast or bagel spread a thick layer of full fat cheese on it.
- Spread cream cheese on your crackers
- Have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich
- These snacks will not only up your calorie intake but also leave you feeling energized all day long.
23. Drink More Dairy
If I wanted to gain weight I would have milk in any form all day long. Dairy products make your bones strong and full fat milk is high in dense calories. It is more important for women to have calcium than for men so if you are a woman looking for how to gain weight for women indulge as much as you can on full cream dairy products. You can add practically anything to milk and yogurt for extra flavor and calories.
- When it comes to full fat milk shakes you can go bananas from ice cream shakes to Oreo shakes or even adding some of your favorite fruits
- The same goes for smoothies make flavorsome smoothies using full fat yogurt and any of your favorite fruit. You can even add some whipped cream on top which others would just look at with envy.
22. Drink Your Calories
Soda is one of the main causes of increased obesity. So you want to pack on some pounds add a few cans of sodas to your daily routine. Any type of carbonated drink is high in sugar and gives you the energy. However, too much of anything is not good and the same goes for carbonated drinks. So it is better to indulge in different kinds of drinks. One of the best options being fruit based drinks. How to add drinking calories to gain weight fast?
- Have at least one can of soda everyday
- You can easily have a cappuccino or latte during midday, don’t forget to add whipped cream to your coffee
- Have fruit juices or drinks with every meal
- Have an energy drink before going for your workout and don’t forget one post workout too.
21. Eat Larger Portions
When trying to gain weight fast, gradually try to increase your appetite. This might be a little difficult for some people to do. So start doing it gradually. Eating slowly sends signals to your brain that you are full, so when trying to increase your portion size and eat more you would want to do the exact opposite. Some simple ways to help you increase your portion size and how to gain weight fast:
- Eating in larger plates, always makes you eat just a little more and increase your portion size
- Always go for a second serving
- When ordering out upsize your meals
- In breakfast if you have two slices try to add just another one, the same goes for pancakes or anything else.
20. Indulge on the Forbidden Foods
There are these foods which are usually classified as the forbidden foods. These are rich in fats, carbs and starches. For anyone trying to shed a few pounds these are a complete no; however, for anyone trying to gain weight fast these can be you allies. Try to have as much of the white starch as you can.
- Have a slice of cake or a doughnut with every meal
- Always opt for white rice, white pasta and white breads
- Remember though, these things are not considered too healthy, so indulging on them for too long or too often is not a good idea for anyone. Just remember to add them to your diet here and there for an extra helping.
19. Cut out Vegetables High in Water Content
There are fruits and vegetables with naturally high water content. They are great to keep you hydrated but the downside is that they give you a feeling of being full. So if you indulge on these you naturally eat less. Instead, when trying to gain weight fast do the exact opposite.
- Avoid: Cucumber, celery
- Have more: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots
- These vegetables are your natural source of carbohydrates, a healthier alternative to artificially sugar.
18. Have More of Sugary Fruits
Just like vegetables there are some fruits which are rich in fiber and water content. You must avoid them. This doesn’t mean you can’t have them at all but then again we are trying to increase our portion size calorie intake. The fruits high in water will be a hindrance when you are trying to do those. Some of the fruits to avoid include melons, cantaloupe and watermelons and some of the fruits you should be having more of:
17. A Little Whipped Cream on Top
You want to know how to gain weight fast, add some cream on top or side or just use it as a dip! I mean who doesn’t enjoy some whipped cream? One of the best ways to gain weight is to just stir in some cream whenever you can. You can:
- Have all your milk shakes and frappes with cream on top
- Add it to your waffles and pancakes
- You can even use it as a fruit dip
- Stir some cream to your gravies and soups for an added flavor and calories.
16. Make Sure You Have a Balanced Diet
We have given you a fair idea of what to eat and what to avoid. It is very important that you plan your diet in such a way that there is an adequate balance between proteins, carbohydrates and fats. Having too much junk food and fat can be dangerous for you in the long run. Also having too much fat and sugar can affect your memory and brain function and it also makes you lethargic. Therefore, it is very important to keep a balance diet. You should aim for:
- Start with 30% protein, 40% carbohydrates and 30% fats
- Eventually as you get closer to your weight gain goals aim for 30% protein, 40%-50% fat and 20%-30% carbohydrates.
- Keep these ratios in mind as you increase your portion sizes add in more foods.
15. Maintain A Food Journal
Start maintaining a food journal. It doesn’t have to be anything too complex just keep in account how much calories are you suppose to intake every day and how much of those have you consumed. Sometimes it can be a little difficult to keep track of all the calories. You can find some great apps on Android and apple store. You just enter whatever food you took, and it will give you a rough estimate of the total amount of calories that food has. There are many benefits of maintaining a food journal and it will help you in reaching you to gain weight fast. A food journal will:
- Helps you in seeing what is working
- Helps you in keeping a track of your progress
- Helps you in keeping a check on yourself and makes you stick to your goal
- Sketches out your food habits and keeps you accountable.
14. Stay Persistent
If you have been underweight all your life or if you have had a small appetite, it will take a while to reach you goal weight. You might start your weight gain journey with high spirits but fall off the wagon after a few weeks. The key is to stay persistent and stay motivated. Remember
- Set realistic goals, there is a limit to what one can gain in a week’s time
- Break your goal into little milestones, achieving each milestone will get you further motivated.
- If you go back to your old eating habits, you might lose the weight you gained pretty fast as you have high metabolism, so stick to your routine and make alterations as you start seeing the changes in your body.
13. Have Supplements
There is a wide variety of supplements to choose from if you want to gain some weight. These formulas are available in powder form and you can either have them with milk or in water. Most of these supplements increases your appetite and help you in weight gain fast. If you are clueless about these it is better to talk to an herbalist or a pharmacist before you make a big purchase
- There are protein shakes and calorie supplements which work very well with working out.
- You can even add these to your milk shakes and get your own protein shakes, these supplements are very popular among athletes and body builders who want to gain mass.
12. Make Sure You Have Enough Fuel before You Workout
Although it is a common belief that you should work out on an empty stomach, you should also ensure that you don’t start a workout with low energy. Just make sure you have enough energy going into your workouts. This is very important and will keep you from feeling tired. Have a small snack 20-30 minutes before you hit the gym, something in between 100-200 calories.
- You could have a croissant or a small cupcake
- You could even snack on bananas which are known to give you an energy boost
- Having something like spreading a banana on a toast slathered with peanut butter makes a yummy energy boosting meal.
- It alleviates your blood sugar levels and gives you the necessary energy for the workout.
11. Don’t Forget that Post Workout Meal
This is as important as what you had before you hit the gym. In order to get the most out of your workout you need to have something small within twenty to thirty minutes after you leave the gym and a full meal after two and a half hours of working out. This is very important; remember we said you want to gain mass and not fat. This is to protect your muscles against any wear and tear that took place during the workout. Now what sort of meal you have post workout is also pivotal keeping in account what sort of a workout you did.
- If you spend maximum time in the weights room, have something high in protein. Proteins are your muscle’s building blocks and fueling your body on proteins will develop strong muscles fast.
- You could snack on a small protein bar or protein shakes and then follows up with a meal which includes chicken or turkey or any other rich source of protein.
- If you spent more time doing aerobics or cardio then you must replenish your energy with something which has more carbs. Having a fruit juice or an energy bar will do the trick for an instant boost of energy.
10. Eat Out More
Restaurant food is much higher in calories than a home cooked meal and there is no arguing about that. Even the salads with all their dressing and the entrees with all the dips are more calories laden than any fancy meal you will put up in your own kitchen. People who often dine out generally put on weight very easily. So if you want to put gain weight fast eat out at least twice a week. Period! Here is what you can do
- Maybe once or twice a week leave for work early and take a pit stop for breakfast. Opt for pancakes with whipped cream on side
- You can have doughnuts or a bagel to go with your coffee
- Dine out on the weekend or have a girls night out which includes dinner.
9. Have Ice Creams Twice a Week
Remember the excitement you would get when you would hear the ice cream truck roll into your alley. Rekindle that! Start having more ice cream. Indulge in the dessert whenever you get a chance to. Don’t just stop there have caked Alaska or banana split or anything else that tickles your fancy.
- There is nothing like eating ice cream straight out of the tub, so make watching T.V. treat time whenever you can.
8. Have More Nuts
Almonds, peanuts, walnuts, Brazilian nuts, cashews and even dried fruits like raisins, figs, sultanas or prunes all are packed with calories and healthy fats. Eating nuts in moderate amounts is very healthy as they are packed with minerals and all other sorts of nutrients. So whenever you are on the go snack on nuts.
- Add chopped nuts to your cereal
- You can add walnuts and roasted peanuts to your salads, they taste great too.
7. Have Breakfast Twice
Breakfast happens to be the most important meal of the day and my favorite too. So if you want to increase you calorie intake and you are eating every three hours have two breakfasts instead of one. You don’t have to go too heavy off course, but have something at 7 a.m. and then again at 10 a.m. This will keep you energized and also give you a burst of calories to kick start your day.
- If you can’t wakeup without coffee maybe have eggs or cereals first thing in the morning
- When you eat again at 10 a.m. have some juice or a doughnut or if your appetite allows you have some pancakes or waffle with plenty of syrup and whipped cream.
6. Have a Bed Time Snack
Most of the people who are unable to put on weight have high metabolism rates. Chances are by the time you are about to hit bed you must have already burnt off most of your dinner. So having a light snack just before going to bed would be really good for you. It will also keep your blood sugar levels from plunging too low during the night. Have something 15-20 minutes before going to bed.
- Have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a glass of milk
- Have some cookies or crackers
- You could even have a bowl of ice cream without minding the portion size
- However, keep this snack light as you don’t want to be up all night trying to digest this last meal of the day.
5. Have More Smoothies
Although people turn towards smoothies when they are trying to lose weight but with just a bit of change smoothies can be one of the best way to gain weight. How to make a smoothie to gain weight fast?
- Blend together yogurt, two bananas, some pineapple and berries of your choice. Add some peanut butter and two scoops of protein shake to it and blend well. You may want to add sugar or honey to it for added calories.
- You could use any fruit of your choice, just add a dash of coconut oil or peanut butter to this and you will have your calorie packed smoothie ready.
- Try to have it twice or at least once a day with your meals and your meal’s calorie count will reach roughly 600 calories.
4. Reduce Your Activity Level
Yes, we are actually telling you to be lazy, how is that? Mostly people who are to lose weight are to stay active as much as possible; however, in your case it will be the total opposite. If you can, completely stop exercising for a while.
- Instead try taking up some breathing exercises and simple yoga.
- Don’t do anything strenuous just do some relaxing pose. Yoga is a great way to pack on lean muscles and might even help you in regulating your periods.
3. Get More Rest
We cannot emphasize enough on the importance of getting enough sleep. Make sure you are never sleep deprived. Sleep deprivation can lead to a number of problems along with just lethargy. Your body relaxes and rejuvenates while you sleep and you regain your physical strength as you sleep.
- Aim for at least eight hours of sleep every night
- If your routine allows you also take a short nap in the afternoon.
2. Go See a Doctor
This has got to be one of the most important advices in this entire article. If you eat well and are overall ok, you must visit a doctor to make sure there is no underlying cause which has kept you from gaining weight.
- Before making any drastic changes to your diet and indulging in high calorie diet it is very important to get your blood-sugar levels checked.
1. Stop Stressing
Most of us lose weight when we are under stress. Generally people who worry more about little things find it harder to gain weight. Stress can lead to other health related problems as well. Therefore, it is very important to not just take care of your physical health but also your mental health; as they both go hand in hand. Stop stressing and start relaxing. There are many ways to relax, such as:
- Deep breathing
- Listening to music
Some More Tips on How to Gain Weight Fast
We have given you our 30 ways to put on weight fast. Here are some more helpful tips.
- Start with realistic goals in mind. If you have been skinny all your life you would have to give this some time.
- Opt for French fries or mashed potatoes as sidelines
- Have a potato everyday
- Indulge in dips and condiments for extra dose of calories in every meal and snack
- Whenever out for movies always take upsized meals. Have plenty of cheese nachos and buttered popcorns
- Milkshakes and fries is one of the quickest combos when you want to gain weight fast.
- Whenever having coffee use cream and sugar generously.
- Whenever having meat have the fattier portions.