Hickies are commonly called as love bites or kiss marks, which occur due to kissing the skin too hard. The appearance of hickies is caused by broken capillaries and grouping of blood which results in a purple or red colored bruise.
There is no need to be embarrassed if you got carried away in the heat of the movement and now bear the proof on your skin. If you’re looking for some instant ways of how to get rid of hickies, you’ve come to the right place. You can cover up and hide hickies using accessories such as scarves and big chunky necklaces. Hickies usually go away by a week, leaving no marks behind.
Use the following methods to get rid of hickies, fast.
20. Heat Treatment
A change in temperature helps in getting rid of hickies. Heat works best for some people. Heat helps to reduce the redness and clot formation. Apply a heating pad over your skin. If you do not have a heating pad, you can easily make your own.
- You will need a large square piece of cloth.
- Keep folding the cloth until it is of the appropriate size.
- Use an iron to warm the cloth.
- Do not iron on the highest setting as that may burn the cloth.
- Hold the warm cloth against the hickey.
- Remove the cloth when it cools back down.
Repeat this process 2 to 3 times daily.
19. Cold Treatment
Learn how to get rid of hickies with the cold treatment efficiently. Cold is the perfect DIY treatment of choice for some people. Extreme cold temperature helps soothe the skin and provide a calming effect. It also helps lessen the pain, if there is some. A cold treatment helps get rid of the redness and the bruise around the hickey in no time.
- You will need a lot of ice cubes.
- Wrap the ice cubes in a small cloth.
- Hold the cloth against your hickey for 10 minutes.
- Repeat this process many times a day to reduce the red and purple coloration.
Do not apply the ice cubes directly over the hickey.
18. Cylindrical Objects
Cylindrical objects such as pen caps and lipstick caps can also help get rid of hickies. A twisting method is used for this application.
- Hold the pen cap over your hickey and press down.
- Press down hard over your skin.
- Twist your pen cap in one direction.
- Hold the twisted position for five minutes.
- This should help break down clots and force blood back into circulation.
Care should be taken when using this method. Do not apply so much pressure that you break the skin.
If you know how to get rid of hickies with the help of a tooth brush, you don’t need to worry any more. A toothbrush is used much the same way as a coin or hair comb is used. The toothbrush helps increase the blood flow in the area and reduce the size of the hickey. Use a new toothbrush for this method as an old tooth brush contains soft bristles. Hard bristles work well to get rid of hickies.
- Use a toothbrush, preferably a new one.
- Wash it with clean water.
- Rub the toothbrush over the hickey in both directions.
- Do not irritate the area of your skin so much that it starts to break.
Use a toothbrush over your hickey twice daily to get rid of them fast.
“Do you have a hickey on your body that needs immediate removal? Have no fear; here are a few ways you can get rid of hickies real quick.”
Toothpastes contain cooling agents that help soothe the hickey and reduce redness. Toothpaste is also used for small burns and acne. It can effectively help minimize the appearance of the hickey.
- Use clean fingers.
- Squeeze a small amount of toothpaste over your finger.
- Apply the toothpaste over your hickey.
- Let the toothpaste dry on your skin, leave it on for as long as you want.
- Wash with cold water.
- Repeat this process 2 to 3 times daily.
15. Frozen Spoon
Use a frozen cold spoon to get rid of your hickies. This method is effective and quick; it only requires one spoon. The cold treatment from the spoon helps to lessen the redness around the hickey; it also helps to decrease the hickey in size. These both ways work to minimize the appearance of the hickey and make it less noticeable.
- Use a clean spoon.
- Rinse the spoon with some water.
- Shake the excess water off the spoon and place it in the refrigerator.
- Wait 10 minutes and then take the spoon out of the refrigerator.
- Hold the spoon next to your skin.
- The coldness of the spoon will help decrease the size of the hickey.
- Take the spoon away from the skin when it has returned back to its normal temperature.
- Keep repeating this process until you feel the hickey fade away.
Going to a party but don’t know how to get rid of hickies or love bites, massage will do perfectly for you. A finger massage can do wonders for a hickey. If you have tried everything and nothing else works, try massaging your skin. This will help increase the blood circulation of that area and you will soon be free of the embarrassing hickey.
- Clean your fingers before the massage.
- Massage your skin using gentle and soft motions.
- Start massaging from the centre of the hickey and work your way outwards.
- Repeat this process a few times daily to divest yourself off the hickey.
Using a coin to get rid of hickies sounds strange and weird, but it works! This method is perhaps the most painful of all. But desperate times call for desperate measures and this method will definitely help you get rid of the hickey. The scraping of the coin over the skin will cause redness, but the redness from the scraping will fade away faster than the redness from the hickey. You will need a large coin for this method.
- Wash your hands and the coin. Do not use a dirty coin for this method as that can lead to infection.
- Use your one hand to pull the skin from opposite sides, making the surface flat and taut.
- Use the edge of the coin to scrape your skin.
- Put pressure on the coin and scrape hard.
Do not scrape the skin so hard that it starts to bleed. Exert a steady amount of pressure on the coin in your hand.
Peppermint is useful for reducing inflammation and improving blood circulation. It also helps in the healing process. Use peppermint daily to see amazing results; do not use it more than once each day.
Apply peppermint based toothpaste on your skin immediately after getting the hickey, leave it on the skin for 15 minutes and wash with cold water.
- Apply peppermint oil over the hickey.
- Massage the oil gently in to the skin.
- Rinse with water after 15 to 20 minutes.
Peppermint can cause a tingling sensation when applied on the skin.
11. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is another life saver, if you’re looking for ways of how to get rid of hickies instantly. Aloe Vera has soothing and calming properties that help clear the skin and reduce inflammation and redness. The uses of aloe vera are limitless. It is beneficial for almost everything from the hair to the skin to cuts and bruises, aloe vera can help heal all.
- Cut a leaf from an aloe vera plant.
- Cut the leaf open with a knife and extract out the aloe vera gel.
- You can also use store bought aloe vera gel, but the fresh kind works the best.
- Apply the aloe vera gel over the hickey.
- Leave it on the skin for as long as you want; there are no side effects of aloe vera.
- Rinse your skin with clean water.
Repeat this process daily for a good outcome.
10. Rubbing Alcohol
Rubbing alcohol is the ingredient to use if you have just developed a hickey on your skin. It has cooling and soothing properties. It also helps prevent infection.
- Wet a clean cotton ball with some rubbing alcohol.
- Apply the wet cotton ball over your hickey.
- Apply some lotion on your skin afterwards.
- Repeat this process daily.
9. Vitamin C
Vitamin C helps in collagen formation and in skin repair. It is an important vitamin needed by the body. Vitamin C also helps heal the skin. These properties work together to get rid of hickies in no time at all. A lot of vitamin C creams are available in the market that can be applied over the hickey for good results.
You can also increase the use of oranges in the diet. Oranges contain high amount of vitamin C. Drink fresh orange juice after developing a hickey. Drink in excess.
“Hickies are usually the cause of embarrassment if seen in the workplace, but no more. Here a few easy ways you can get rid of your hickies fast.”
8. Vitamin K
Vitamin K also helps in fading out the hickey. A hickey is caused by broken capillaries and clot formation. Vitamin K is a very powerful anti-coagulant; it helps to break down clots and returns the blood back to circulation.
Increase the intake of food sources rich in vitamin K such as leafy green vegetables, brown rice and fish oil for better health.
Tuna helps get rid of hickies. All you need to do is follow some easy steps.
- You will need a tin of tuna and oil.
- Put a coating of this over the hickey.
- Leave it on the skin for 10 minutes.
- Apply a warm compress or use a hairdryer to apply heat to the area.
- Wash it all off with warm water.
The appearance of your hickey should have lessened to a great degree.
Teabags help reduce the swelling and redness around the hickey. They work to lessen the appearance of the hickey and help in its quick elimination.
- Use a soothing and calming tea.
- Boil a cup of water on the stove.
- Pour the water in the cup and place one teabag in it.
- Leave the teabag in the water for five minutes.
- Remove the teabag when it is sufficiently warm.
- Hold the teabag against the skin.
- Discard the teabag when it cools back down.
Repeat this process whenever you crave some tea; this way nothing goes to waste and you will get rid of your hickey fast.
5. Use A Hair Comb
The use of a hair comb can help get rid of your hickey. This method requires you to be careful, as you can easily break your skin.
- Wash your hair comb.
- Apply the correct amount of pressure on the hair comb, not too much and not too little.
- Rub the hair comb over your hickey.
The teeth of the hair comb will help increase the circulation in that area and force the gathered blood back into the vessels.
4. Banana Peel
Banana peels are another strange but effective remedy for the removal of hickies. Banana peels have soothing agents in them, which help calm the skin around the hickey and reduce the redness. This helps to make the hickey less evident even when it is in plain sight.
- Peel a ripe banana.
- Cut the banana peel of the desired length.
- Place the inside of the banana peel next to your skin.
- Hold the peel against your skin for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Discard the peel and rinse your skin with cold water.
- Repeat this process 2 to 3 times daily.
3. Almond Oil
Almond oil is an excellent moisturizer. It works to make the skin around the hickey smooth and helps in the healing process. A gentle massage using almond oil can help break down the clot and increase circulation.
- Warm some almond oil in the microwave.
- Apply a warm compress over your skin.
- Remove the compress and dip your fingers in the warm oil.
- Use your fingers to gently massage the area of the hickey.
- Work your way from the centre to outwards.
- You can either leave the oil on your skin or rinse with warm water.
Repeat this process twice daily for good results.
Aspirin is a great medication that you can use to treat hickies. It is also great painkiller, which makes it perfect for those times when your hickey starts to hurt. Aspirin functions to thin the blood. It is an anti-coagulant that breaks down the clots and improves circulation.
Do not use an aspirin immediately after acquiring a hickey; use it after 20 to 24 hours.
1. Give It Time
Be patient with yourself and your skin. A hickey will not start to disappear immediately; it takes time just like all other functions of the body. Do not resort to measures which will make the hickey even more prominent and visible. Do not apply too much pressure in your haste, as that will only aggravate the area of the hickey further.
Let the hickey go away on its own, do not try to get rid of it until absolutely necessary. Try to hide the hickey using different articles of clothing. Try to wear buttoned tops instead of shirts with a huge neckline. Avoid wearing strapless or sleeveless shirts. Opt for clothes that will help conceal all areas of your body. You can also layer different clothes over each other.
Conceal it using makeup or hide it using a scarf. You can also hide your hickey by wearing big chunky necklaces if the hickey is present just above your chest area. Change your plans if they involve swimming or going to the pool. You can also opt for cover-ups if going to the pool with friends is crucial.
- Try to conceal the hickey instead of getting rid of it.
- Give your skin time to adjust and heal.
- Use cold and hot treatments.
- Use just the right amount of pressure on the coin and hand comb
- Use peppermint, aloe vera, burning alcohol, tuna, shea butter and almond oil.
- Massage using clean and gentle fingers.
- Use warm tea bags.
- Use aspirin 20 to 24 hours after developing a hickey.
- Use a banana peel to soothe your skin.
- Increase the intake of vitamin C and K in your diet.
- Use a toothbrush with hard bristles, preferable a new one.
- Stop treatment if you feel the hickey starting to get worse instead of better.
- Do not be too rough on your skin.
- Do not apply too much pressure on your skin.
- Do not use too much heat.
- Do not use aspirin immediately after developing a hickey.
- Do not apply ice cubes directly over the skin.
- Do not continue any application if you see the condition of the hickey get worse.