It is certainly very irritating when your ears are blocked but by following the simple procedures below, the problem could be dealt with. By performing just these simple home remedies, you would feel that your hearing has been restored, pain diminishes and weird sounds echoing in the ear come to an immediate halt.
Causes of blocked ears:
- Accumulation of wax.
- Sinus problem.
- Pressure difference in the middle ear.
- Disrupted flow of air through the Eustachian tube.
You may experience the following symptoms:
- Feeling of fullness.
- Muffled hearing.
- Pain in the ears.
Clogged ears can occur both in children and adults but children are mostly targeted by this issue when they have a cold. This may make them irritable and angry at times. If you’re looking for some effective ways of how to unclog ears, natural remedies have perfect solution. However, the situation could be promptly dealt with; producing desired results in a short span of time. So stop worrying and follow the following remedies to attain the desired results.
Following remedies when opted produce great results:
25. Garlic Oil
Garlic is very effective because of the inherent properties and health benefits it possesses. If you are suffering from ear pain caused by an infection, then this remedial approach is all that you are looking for. This is because garlic is a natural antibiotic – fights vigorously against the infection and seizes its existence. Consequently, relief from pain is also attained. Regular usage of garlic oil not only fights against infection but is also successful in dealing with stuffy ears by clearing Eustachian tube. For this purpose, oil at an elevated temperature (i.e. more than room temperature) is required.
- Take 3 cloves of garlic and peel the skin.
- Make a paste of the peeled garlic by using a knife or a mortar.
- Add one teaspoon of oil into the pan. ( you could use olive oil, sesame oil or mustard oil)
- Throw in the paste and allow it to infuse the oil with its sharp taste for 3 to 4 minutes (Stir constantly to ensure that garlic paste doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan).
- Remove from heat after the stated time.
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes till the temperature drops slightly.
- By using a dropper, put the oil into the affected ear. ( Make sure you are lying down on your side while following this step)
- Cotton pad could be used for keeping the oil inside the ear.
- Keep the oil inside the ear for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Then, drain out the oil.
- Perform this procedure every day till relief is attained.
24. Hopping On One Foot
This is an amazing and effective DIY therapy for this problem. You have to believe me! I am not joking. This technique is extremely effective and positive results are derived in a matter of minutes. The force contributing its service for attainment of accomplished purpose is none other than the Gravitational Force. I bet you never even pondered the advantages that the gravitational force of attraction brings along. Well, here is a chance for you to avail this free service given to us by God for clearing clogged ear.
Follow the following steps
- Hang one foot in the air; with keeping the other foot firmly to the ground. ( If you get wobbly bring the other foot down)
- Tilt your head sideways – with your affected ear facing ground.
- Start hopping while maintaining your tilted head posture.
- Performing this activity for 5 to 8 minutes is sufficient to bring the required results.
Note: Time required may vary person to person.
Repeat this procedure whenever you have the sensation of a clogged ear. Children would be more than happy for performing this activity.
Another procedure involves the following steps: (This also makes use of gravity)
- Lie down on your bed with your affected ear pressing against the pillow. ( Keep a sheet below the pillow)
- Stay in this posture for a time duration of 20 minutes.
- The fluid trapped inside finds its way out conveniently. As a result pressure regulation in the middle ear occurs.
The great advantage of such a method is that it doesn’t even matter if you fall asleep. Even in your unconscious state the process for “unclogging the ear” would continue.
The simple technique of swallowing can help you with your clogged ears. It simply requires the act of swallowing. Repeat this act as many time as possible.
Glycerin is very effective in dealing with this problem. Follow these steps if you’re really looking for ways of how to pop your ear easily.
- Place few drops of glycerin into the plugged ear.
- Keep your head tilted for 2 to 5 minutes.
- By using a Q-tip remove the glycerin along with ear wax.
“Hopefully, this article would have helped you in easing your state of clogged ears. The steps are simple and easy and do not require much effort on your part. It’s effective in both adults and children and poses no harmful side effects.”
21. Chewing Gum
I say “can life get any simpler”. By just chewing the gum you could deal with clogged ears. Its helps in opening up the Eustachian tube for free and easy passage of air through it. The tense pressure built up in the ears is also released. This method is especially helpful when the airplane is landing or taking off. The need is most severely felt at this particular instant because rapid changes in pressure occur as the airplane changes its height above the ground.
- Take a gum.
- Chew it rigorously.
- That’s it!
This mode is also very helpful in dealing with clogged ears. This technique is effective because steam ensures that mucous and ear wax gets loosened and thus instant relief is attained. You can try this technique to clear Eustachian tube by following this procedure:
- Pour hot water into a bowl.
- Add few drops of lavender oil into the water.
- By using a towel cover your head and bend towards the steaming bowl of water and oil and inhale deeply. (Ensure that the bowl is also covered with the towel to ensure minimum steam escape and maximum inhalation)
- Continue with the process for 15 to 20 minutes. ( you can pop your head out of the steam tent to breathe into the fresh air before going back in)
You can repeat this process as many times as possible during the day. The nasal pathway is also cleared up as a result. Hence, this method helps in unclogging both the ears and nose.
This method is easy and fast and requires minimum input of effort.
19. Warm Water
Warm water works miraculously with plugged ears.
- Warm half a cup of water.
- Use a syringe to insert few drops of water into the ear.
- Pull down your ear lobe to provide ample passage of the ear canal where water can be inserted.
- Stay in the tilted head posture for about 5 minutes.
- Then take the water out.
18. Hydrogen Peroxide
The wax built-up can be effectively wrecked by inserting a few drops of hydrogen peroxide. Try the following steps to clear your clogged ear.
- Put into the plugged ear two drops of hydrogen peroxide (hydrogen peroxide’s concentration is 3% and the remaining 97% constitutes of water).
- Keep your head tilted to ensure that the liquid remains within the ear (Fizzing sound would be heard the moment you insert the drops into the ear; don’t worry – it’s absolutely normal).
- Continue the process for about 10 minutes. (The fizzing sound seizing is also an indication that it’s time to remove the liquid from the ear as its effect has now been exhausted).
- Tilt your head in the opposite direction to remove the solution and the ear wax. Use a Q-tip to clear the ear.
A simple method as yawning can help you fix your clogged ears. This is because the pressure within the middle ear gets regularized promoting desired results.
16. Jaw wriggle
You might seem absurd wriggling your jaw in public – so I suggest do this at home. It’s effective in unclogging your ears instantly.
- Open up your mouth as widely as you could possible do so.
- Now start wriggling your jaw rapidly from side to side.
- Continue this for at least a minute.
- A pooping sound heard within the ears would be an indication that the ears have been successfully unclogged.
15. Warm Soups
Warm soups are also successful in softening the mucus – responsible for clogging the ears. Thus any flavored soup is capable of accomplishing the mission. Broths – both vegetable and chicken are also equally effective. Chilies could also be used to spice up the broth and would bring an added advantage since spicy foods are also responsible for unclogging the ears. So if you were looking for some delicious ways of how to pop your ear, just try these soups.
14. Avoid Diving
Here, I am informing you regarding a preventive measure. If you have an infectious ear that is clogging your ears or a cold, then it is wise to avoid diving. This is to ensure that the situation does not get worse than it already is. Under such circumstances, the ear is exposed to increased infection. Therefore, greater care and precaution is required if you want to avoid clogged ear situation.
13. Hot Foods
Learn how to unclog ears using these spicy foods effectively. Hot foods also play a pivotal role in decongestion of the ear. This is because of the heat that such foods bring along. There is the availability of a variety of foods that generate heat and are also referred to as spicy foods.
Examples of such food are as follow:
Spiced curry is also very effective in the attainment of desired results.
Note: People who are sensitive to the intake of spices must avoid this approach or should only eat it in milder forms.
12. Avoid Sleeping While The Airplane Is Landing
Extreme and rapid changes in pressure occur while the airplane is landing. This is because of rapid changes in the altitude. Directly, such changes pose an effect upon the ear – clogged ears occur. There is a simply remedial approach that you can opt to ensure that you do not face such a situation. Simply, do not sleep while the airplane is landing.
Following approaches could be opted while the plane is landing:
- Chew a gum.
- Move your jaw rapidly from side to side.
- Breathe in deeply and then exhale.
- Sipping a drink.
The above stated measures are surely preventive measures for clogged ears.
11. Avoid Extreme Temperatures
You should avoid extreme temperatures – whether it is cold or hot. This measure should be strictly followed when the clogging of the ears is as a result of sinus.
Avoid the following situations:
- Avoid cooking by standing in front of the stove.
- Avoid going out for a walk when the temperature is extremely low.
- Avoid staying in a room where air conditioners are on showing a thermostat of 16 degrees to 18 degrees.
10. Tonybee Maneuver
Tonybee Maneuver is the name given to the following technique:
- Take a sip of water.
- Pinch your nose while the water is still in the mouth.
- Keeping your nose pinched, swallow the water.
This technique ensures pressure equalization. As a result the ears are unclogged. You could repeat this process as many times as you want until the desired result gets attained. It’s very effective in clearing Eustachian tube.
9. Valsalva Maneuver
If you want to know how to pop your ear instantly, learn this simple technique. This technique involves the following steps:
- Keep your mouth closed.
- Pinch your nose while keeping the mouth shut.
- Blow through your nose till a “pop” sound is heard.
The “pop” sound is an indicator for the attainment of unclogged ears. You can repeat the process until the desired result has been achieved. However, you should be cautious while blowing through your nose – do not exert a lot of pressure as it can cause damage to the ear drum.
This method is effective because it builds pressure in the chest and the air. Therefore, pressure gets equalized.
8. Good Sleeping Posture
The right posture during the sleeping hours is essential for avoiding clogged ears.
The 2 methods are as follow:
- If you are sleeping on your back, then ensure that you do not use more than a single pillow. Pilling numerous pillows promotes enhanced chances of ear congestion in the morning.
- Sleeping on the side is very effective in dealing with clogged ears. This is because during such a posture, the pressure does not build up within the ear.
7. Gargling With Warm Salt Water Solution
You must know this effective remedy if you’re learning how to unclog ears effectively. Salt water solution at a slightly elevated temperature helps in dealing with stuffy and clogged ears.
The steps involved are as follow:
- Heat a cup of water. (do not boil)
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt into the water.
- Stir the solution.
- Take a sip and swish the fluid in your mouth.
- Gargle for about 30 seconds.
- Spit it out.
The process can be repeated as many times as possible to ensure the required result has been attained.
6. Tea Tree Oil
WE all know the amazing health benefits of tea tree oil. Here you can learn how to pop your ear using tea tree oil effectively. Tea tree oil is very effective in getting unclogged ears. If the reason for unclogged ears is a common cold, then the following steps would brew instant positive results:
- Boil water and pour it into a bowl.
- Add 5 to 6 drops of tea tree oil. (you can substitute this oil with lavender oil)
- Face the bowl directly and breathe in the vapours. (you can cover your head and the bowl with a towel to ensure that minimum vapors get escaped)
You can do this process as many times as possible during the day. It’s best effective when done before going to sleep.
5. Drink Plenty Of Fluids
It is essential that during ear congestion, one must enhance their fluid intake. It may be in the form of water or juices. This is because it works in thinning the mucus and preventing a blockage within the ear especially in Eustachian tube.
4. Avoid Smoking
You can’t learn how to unclog ears if you’re not following healthy lifestyle. Smoking can aggregate the existing situation. Therefore, it is advised that smoking should come to an end. Plus, its prevention can result in many advantages.
3. Avoid Alcohol
Alcohol consumption can also worsen the condition of clogged ears.
With such equipment in your bedroom, appropriate moisture level would be maintained at all times. This would ensure that ear congestion does not result. It is an essential remedy especially for people with sinus.
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil is very effective in dealing with clogged ears and clearing Eustachian tube.
- Heat some extra virgin olive oil.
- By using a dropper, put a few drops of the oil in the affected ear.
- Keep your head tilted sideways to ensure that the oil does not leak out of the ear.
- Remain in this posture for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Use a cotton swab to take out the fluid from clogged ear.
- Do the steps with regularity.
- Consult a doctor if the situation gets worse.
- Do not increase the stated quantity unless said so.
- Limit the cups of caffeine consumed.