Some holidays are very distinct for specific cultures, but Valentine’s Day is observed by many countries around the world. Over 30 of them celebrate on February 14 but some countries celebrate at a different time of year. Brazil, for example, calls June 12th Valentine’s Day.
No matter where you’re from, it’s a day all about feeling and demonstrating love, friendship and appreciation for the people who are nearest and dearest to us. But the day seems to elicit strong feelings from people. Does Valentine’s Day make you cringe or swoon? Do you hide out and hope the day will go unnoticed, or do you spend a small fortune to create special moments for your loved ones? This year, why don’t you try something different for Valentine’s Day? Whether you’re coupled or single, you need to read on….
This year, to celebrate the occasion, try a little romance of a very special kind – make it all about loving yourself! After all, you are beautiful, unique, created with a purpose and, yes, that makes you fabulous! And you deserve to be treated as such!
As Edmond Mbiaka said, “Your heart truly deserves the priceless feeling of unconditional love that can only come from you to you.” (Read more quotes on loving yourself)
So how can you show some special love for Fabulous-You this Valentine’s Day? Here are just a few simple and inexpensive suggestions:
- Take a bath or a long hot shower. Make it extra luxurious by using a soap or bubble bath that smells amazing. As you do this, savor every sense – the smells, the warmth of your body. Read or listen to soothing music. Whatever you do, do NOT think about unfinished tasks or unsolved problems. Lock the door and tell the family you cannot be disturbed!
- Go for coffee with a good friend; maybe even one you haven’t seen for a long time. Remind her how much you care about her and why you appreciate her. Start to reminisce. You will find yourself laughing, sharing, and connecting over good memories. You will leave that coffee shop with a heart full of joy – and you will be reminded how important and valuable you are in someone else’s life. Believe it and feel loved!
- Try something new – even something as simple as a new food or new restaurant. Challenge yourself to go out of your comfort zone and do something that you’ve never been brave enough to try before. Sure, you run the risk of not enjoying it, but I’m willing to guess that even if you don’t love that veal-brain soup at that new restaurant across town, you will definitely love the fact that you can tell people you were brave enough to try it – because you’re cool like that!
- Order a delicious, magnificent dessert. Do NOT consider the calorie count. Really, beautiful lady, you just deserve it!
- Choose to stay in and celebrate valentine day with your creativity. Alone is best, if you really want to romance yourself. Choose music that you adore and dance around the house; watch a movie of your choice then laugh and cry freely; completely get lost in a good book; paint a picture with some dramatic and exaggerated brush strokes. Whatever you do, do it because you love it and you love how it makes you feel. Just enjoy the moment and notice how special it makes you feel!
Perhaps you have your own ideas for ways to adore and appreciate yourself this Valentine’s Day. If so, why save it for just once a year? Try a weekly date with your super-cool self. The more you embrace how unique and beautiful you are, the more love you will feel for yourself . . and ultimately for others.
Author, speaker, and life coach, Vironika Tugaleva, said: “And you know what’s really amazing about choosing self-love? You’ll be setting an example for all the people around you and all the kids of the coming generation. You’ll be part of a revolution to take back the precious moments of our lives out of the hands of shame-inducing advertisers and back into the hands and hearts of real people like you, like me, like all of us.”
Happy Valentine’s Day to you!