Many experts have tried a thorough research on what exactly memory is, how it works and how it fails. The studies have also highlighted the functionality of memory, the way it works and the way it goes wrong. At the end they have concluded that this is the one which makes a human really a human, but unfortunately this concept is quite misunderstood by normal people. The concept behind memory is just like a small filing cabinet filled with many individual files and folders that contain what you think and remember. They basically store the information you see or listen. It can also be known as neural super-computer of unlimited space and performance. Experts say that the study of memory is far more subtle and complex.
Memory is not at all a single unit, but it is differentiated into two types of memory as short term and long term. These are stored in different ways and different locations of the brain; this is what we can basically understand about memory. Years of studies on patients suffering from brain related diseases and accidents show that memory is quite a complex attribute and fixing it can become a difficult job.
Weakness in memory can be quite a big complain, especially with the growing old age. There are various other factors that make your memory weak such as sleep disorders, nutritional deficiencies particularly vitamins, depression, excess alcohol, smoking, thyroid issues and use of certain medications. Alzheimer’s disease can also be one of the causes of weak memory along with many other symptoms. While dealing with some serious memory issues it is advised to consult an expert for proper treatment and diagnosis.
Our nature is filled with some amazing super foods that help us to retain our memory and let it function properly. The amount of some good nutrients in food also decides the way they will work on your memory. Along with a consumption of these amazing foods, it is also recommended to have a proper sleep, avoid any type of toxins, stay away from depression and eat well and healthy. We have gathered a good amount of useful home remedies that will help you out to sustain and refresh your memory cells and will be great to sharpen your memory.
“According to a study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology, if we take two capsules of 500 mg containing black seeds, it will show a huge improvement in cognitive functionalities, attention and memory as compared to the people who have taken placebo.”
Water also falls under the category of super foods because of its unlimited health benefits. Water is the only drink we have the urge to drink and gives hope to live. As we can’t live without air, the same is the case with water, we cannot live without it. Water is a combination of 2 hydrogen and 1 oxygen molecule. Water provides the necessary oxygen to the body and keeps it hydrated, that’s why we are advised to drink as much water as we can in summer to avoid dehydration. Because the person suffering from dehydration will lose most of his body minerals and nutrients, but water is there to compensate this problem.
Water has those minerals that boost the memory of a common man. It rejuvenates the power of thinking and lets us think and remember properly. It significantly targets the functionality of the brain cells, concentration techniques and decision making. It provides the necessary oxygen to the brain that works as an amazing antioxidants and flushes away unwanted toxins of the brain through your body. This method regulates the thought process on a bigger scale and makes you a better decision maker. That is why it is always recommended to drink at least 8 glasses of water to keep you completely hydrated. Always make sure you are drinking clean and safe water to stay healthy and improve memory.
Apples are one of the amazing fruits that have a treatment for many health diseases. If taken on daily basis, it will keep ones mind and body fresh and healthy, as it is always said an apple a day keeps the doctor away. People are in a habit of consuming apple without skin because they are not aware how many health benefits its skin can provide us. It is always recommended by dietitians to consume apple with the skin, as the skin is rich in high amount of antioxidants known as quercetin. These antioxidants are helpful in treating the early stage of Alzheimer’s.
There are different kinds of apples such as red, green and yellow, but the red apples are the most effective ones for this disease and they also boost the brain power. Red apples carry anthocyanin, which keeps the brain healthy and sharpens the memory. Apples can be consumed in many different ways, let’s have a look at some DIY recipes for memory improvement:
- For a healthy brain try to eat apple as a whole while biting into chunks. This is the healthiest way to consume an apple.
- Slice apples into big chunks and toss them in your favorite fruit salads.
- Mix some yogurt with apple chunks to enhance the taste and health.
- Try to make apple juice along with the skin. It will be extraordinary healthy for you.
- Trying some apple tarts and cakes can also be a pleasure for your craving, thus boosting your memory too.
Here you’ll learn how to improve memory using nature’s best gift honey. Honey is a sweet and tempting natural food made up by bees from the nectar of flowers. It is the hardwork which is done by honey bees and consumed by the people. There are many other types of honey collected by different insects, but the one collected by honey bees is pure and rich with some amazing properties. Honey is stored by the bees in a wax honeycombs situated inside the beehive.
Honey contains some equal amount of fructose and glucose and it is also a great source of potassium, manganese, vitamin B, phosphorus, antioxidants and magnesium. The fructose property of honey works as a brain booster and increases the memory power. It protects the brain from any kind of mental fatigue and keeps it fresh and functioning. There is one great tip to boost your memory whenever you getup early in the morning.
- Take one cup of warm water and add a teaspoon of honey.
- Add half a lemon juice and stir.
- Have this detox drink first thing in the morning empty stomach.
- Make a routine to drink this mixture every morning, as this is best for detoxification.
- This mixture will help you boost your brain functionality and will flush out unwanted toxins out of the body.
NOTE: While buying honey make sure that you are buying the purest form. There are many honey vendors who sell sugar converted honey which lacks all the nutrients and is dangerous for your health.
Chocolates, what a divine pleasure one can have. Chocolates are the most favorite food among the people of all ages. It is not at all bound to gender, color or race. Everybody loves to have chocolate any time of the day. Chocolate is a special sweet treat, usually brown in color. It is extracted from the cocoa beans in roasted and ground form. It is mostly favorite with vanilla to give an irresistible taste.
Scientific research has found that chocolate contains a compound called epicatechin, which is a group of flavonol chemicals. These flavorless help to improve cardiovascular functions of people and it also increases the blood flow in the brain. Flavonols are found in chocolates, thus eating a little chocolate and gifting it to someone will indirectly boost your memory cells. Dark chocolate is filled with some amazing antioxidants that clears up the brain from bad toxins and refreshes it. Milk chocolate also increases and sharpens the memory along with concentration power. So make sure to eat chocolate regularly for memory improvement.
NOTE: Chocolates are very high in calories, always take care while eating and never consume in bulk.
Almonds are one of the amazing sources of Ayurvedic remedies to improve and boost memory and brain concentration. Almonds are rich in vitamin B6, E, omega-6 fatty acids and omega-3. They are as rich and good as walnuts in boosting the memory strength. Almond has a very delicate flavor and it is available throughout the year. It adds a healthy taste to both savoury and sweet dishes. People call almonds as nuts but basically they are seeds of the fruit from the almond tree. It is a medium-sized tree that bears pink and white flowers full of fragrance. The fruit of the almond tree has a stone-like seed inside which is referred to as the almond nut.
If you’re wondering how to improve memory rapidly, almonds are the best solution. Due to its antioxidant properties almonds can be good for the energy of your eyes and brain. There is a particular way to take almonds on the daily basis. This will boost your memory and will help your eyes to shine.
- Soak 5-10 almonds in water or milk.
- The very next morning peel and grind the soaked almonds.
- Boil these ground almonds in a glass of milk.
- Add some honey for taste.
- Drink this daily for a month to gain a healthier mind.
- Soaked and peeled almonds can also be eaten directly.
Beetroot is a beautiful red colored vegetable that is sweet and quite tender to eat. It has many minerals and nutrients that are healthy for our body. People like to eat this vegetable raw, as it tastes good and eating it raw will be very beneficial for health. This amazing vegetable increases the flow of blood in the body and improves its direction towards the brain. Beetroots carry nitrates that are converted into nitrites. These nitrites help to open the blood vessel, thus improves the blood flow towards the brain. They make the blood flow towards the front lobes of the brain and minimizes the problem of memory weakness and dementia.
Beetroots also help to boost the hemoglobin level in the blood. Due to increased blood flow, the brain functions more maturely and properly with the power of concentration. If you consume beetroots in the following ways, it will surely help you to improve your memory.
- Peel some beetroots and eat them raw.
- Have a glass of beetroot juice. Blend in some beetroots with ice.
- Cut medium chunks of this vegetable and toss them in the salad.
- You can also cook some nice savory dishes with beetroot to improve memory.
- Cut circles of beetroot and keep them on your eye sockets. This process will cool down your eyes thus it will relax your mind and body.
Many studies have found that blueberries as whole work great on your brain and memory. They help to revive weak memory and boost the flow of blood in the brain. These berries are filled with some amazing antioxidants that help to protect your brain from any damage and oxidative stress. They also improve the communication between different neurons in our brain, improves cognitive functionality, learning process, decision making, arithmetic calculations and verbal learning. So if you want to know how to improve memory use these little memory boosters.
Consuming blueberries as a whole can be way too effective, but it can also be consumed as a shake with milk or mixed with freshly made ice-cream. Being rich in antioxidants, blueberries clear up your brain from unwanted toxins and free the blood vessels for an uninterrupted flow of blood, keeping you mentally in shape.
Consumption of walnuts shows a strong impact on human heart and memory. These are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which help to fight against memory loss. Eating walnuts can improve brain health and slows down the process of Alzheimer’s disease. Eating a handful of walnuts daily can boost up your memory function, learning and concentration abilities. Walnuts are also filled with vitamin E that helps to maintain age-related mental illnesses.
Walnuts can be consumed as a whole, but they can also be processed for convenience. You can take out walnuts from the shell and grind them to powder. Every morning when you getup add a tablespoon full of this walnut powder in warm milk and drink it. This way you will get both the nourishment of milk and walnut and early morning consumption will perk up your mental process and improve memory.
12. Cinnamon Powder
A mixture of cinnamon powder with honey works well on the nervous system. It helps to release any sort of nervous tension and improves the memory. Studies have shown that simply smelling the aroma of cinnamon can enhance our memory and other cognitive functionalities. Also eating honey before bed time also improves our sleeping disorders and releases stress. This is one proper way to consolidate our memory.
Quick link = Benefits of cinnamon
Cinnamon carries some powerful antioxidants and helps to revitalize brain cells. It is one special spice that prevents any type of oxidation, improves blood circulation in the brain and enhances the process of memory, keeping you fresh and vitalized all day long.
- Take one pinch of cinnamon powder and mix it well with a tablespoon of honey.
- Consume this mixture on daily basis before going to bed for effective memory improvement.
Consuming this mixture at night will give you a good night sleep. It will help your brain to provoke sleep cells and will relax your mind through out the night.
Why not eating some miraculous dates to improve your memory? Yes for sure, because this God gifted pleasure is filled with some amazing minerals, vitamins and nutrients one cannot imagine. This delicacy also contains fiber, oil, sulphur, calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorus, copper, magnesium and manganese which are super beneficial for your health. Experts say that eating a date on the daily basis is important for a healthy and balanced diet.
Dates are one of the best antioxidant agents and are also known as the fruit of Arabia. They contain a good quantity of health-enhancing flavonoids polyphenol antioxidants known as tannins. These tannins work hard to prevent any sort of infection, inflammation and toxins. They also increase the blood circulation towards your brain and provide necessary oxygen. This property of dates also prevents any type of brain oxidation. The method of consuming dates in easy and is always a sweet treat. Here is how to improve memory using dates:
- Soak 3-4 dates overnight in a cup of milk.
- Next morning grind the dates with the milk.
- Drink this mixture for a tempting please along with some amazing benefits it will provide to your brain.
- If fresh dates are not available you can also try some in dried form.
- Dates filled with almonds, walnuts and cream can also be consumed.
NOTE: While consuming dates remember to a keep a check on the calorie count, as they are high in calories and can affect your weight scale.
“To improve your weak memory, you can try out some amazing home remedies but always consult a doctor in case of any serious consequences.”
10. Asian Ginseng Tea
Asian ginseng is a form of roots that are taken from a Panax plant and is also available in the form of tea. It is very old and traditional content that is used in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicines as one of the memory enhancers. Asian ginseng is a knotted root that looks similar to a human body with some strong shoots stringing from arms and legs. Old herbalists had a thought that because it looks like a human body, it might treat many human health problems, from memory weakness, stress, cancer to asthma. Scientists are still working hard to study the memory strengthening potential of this amazing herb.
It is recommended that ginseng should not be taken for a prolonged period, but should be consumed in cycles. People who take this herb often feel more active and alert. Studies have shown that Asian ginseng also boosts learning and thought process. They also improve the process of arithmetic, memory and concentration. Asian ginseng is very easy to consume, as it is available in the form of tea which also works as a pure antioxidant for the cleansing of your mind and improve memory.
- Boil one cup of fresh water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of Asian Ginseng tea and further boil for a minute.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain and enjoy the tea.
- Drink this tea but not more than 15 days. Give an interval of about 10 days.
- The tea is quite strong to consume, so keep its quantity less.
9. Ginkgo Biloba
Ginkgo is one of the unique species of tree that is available as a dietary supplement in the market. It is also known as an effective supplement to boost brain cells and other cognitive activities in people having cognitive problems. Advance researches have been done and found that it has possible treatments for Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. Ginkgo biloba is often used as a memory booster and it also improves the flow of blood towards the brain helping it to perform well. There are many studies that negate the performance of this Ayurvedic substance. According to them it may not be helpful for people having healthy memory for further memory improvement.
The dosage of ginkgo biloba to be taken is not specified yet; still some herbalists recommend 40 mg, three times a day for the one suffering from dementia. For the ones who are already healthy and their memory is functioning properly 120 to 600 mg of this herb can show some good results. It is available in the form of supplements that can be taken as it is or mixed with milk or water for easier consumption.
NOTE: People taking any kind of antidepressants should not take ginkgo biloba, as they may experience some life-threatening side effects including high risk of developing serotonin syndrome.
8. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the edible oil that is extracted from the meat or kernels of ripe coconuts taken from the coconut palm. Coconut can be used for a variety of applications like food, drink or medicine. Because of its higher level of saturated fats it takes a longer time to oxidize and therefore last up to 2-3 years without getting spoiled.
Coconut oil can help boost the brain cells and improve human memory and concentration process. It is also believed to be one of the healers of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. It also helps to boost your energy, improves your skin and hair and reduces cholesterol. Coconut oil has different ways of intake and application.
- Eat one teaspoon of organic, virgin and cold-pressed coconut oil two times daily to spot some amazing results.
- Coconut oil can also be added to bakery items, drinks, salads and savory goods to improve memory.
- Massaging your head with coconut oil can boost your brain cells and nervous system. This will revitalize your energy and you will feel fresh and relaxed.
Brahmi is an Ayurvedic herb that is very good in the treatment of mental illness. Brahmi is basically a plant that is extensively used in the manufacturing of Indian medicine known as Ayurveda. This miracle herb works as a natural brain tonic, an effective antioxidant and has neuroprotective effects. Brahmi herb is used to treat Alzheimer’s disease, enhancing memory cells, hyperactivity disorders, tension and anxiety and chronic stress. Brahmi stimulates brain cells by releasing some chemicals that helps to boost thinking, concentrating, learning and many other brain functionalities. Some of the new research has found that it also protects our brain from the chemicals that cause Alzheimer’s.
- Consume Brahmi juice extracted from its fresh leaves 2-3 times daily. You can keep the quantity around 1-2 teaspoons. Add a little honey for better taste.
- Add one and a half teaspoon of Brahmi powder in warm milk, add a little pinch of cinnamon and consume this mixture once daily for memory improvement. You can also add some clarified butter.
- Take this amazing herb as a supplement by taking around 300 mg of Brahmi extract daily t boost your memory.
NOTE: Try to follow these remedies at least for few days.
6. Fish Oil
Fish oil is a form of oil that is extracted from the tissues of oily fish. Fish oil contains Omega-3 fatty acids and some other important health acids that are popularly known to prevent inflammation and provide relaxation. It has many other health benefits and provides one-time treatment for many chronic diseases. Many studies in the 2000 era have shown that fish oil may reduce the risk of suicide by minimizing depression.
Fish oil is available in the form of gel capsules that are easy to swallow and provide the same benefits as the raw oil. These capsules contain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids that work on the body by lowering the level of triglycerides. A higher level of this compound may lead to stroke, excess depression and heart diseases. Intake of fish oil along with exercise can lower the level of triglycerides in the blood, thus it improves the blood flow towards the brain and improves the memory. Fish oil may also prevent the birth of brain plaques that are linked to Alzheimer’s disease. Here is how to improve memory using fish oil.
- Take fish oil exactly the way doctor has prescribed.
- Swallow the fish oil capsules, do not try to puncture or open them.
- Take fish oil capsule supplement that contains around 600 mg DHA on the daily basis.
- You can also add some other fatty fish like salmon, sardines and herring in your diet as a brain booster.
5. Black Seeds (Nigella Sativa)
Black seeds which are scientifically known as Nigella Sativa, also known as kalonji, have some great and amazing mind boosting enzymes. This is all because of its antioxidant, neuro-protecting and anti-inflammatory properties that help to improve the process of concentration, learning and thinking. According to a study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology, if we take two capsules of 500 mg containing black seeds, it will show a huge improvement in cognitive functionalities, attention and memory as compared to the people who have taken placebo. It is not necessary that black seeds must be taken in the supplement form; these can be taken fresh as seeds that provide greater benefits as compared to the one which are processed and added to the capsules.
- Take a pinch of black seeds with warm water every morning with empty stomach.
- Make a mixture of 1 tablespoon of honey with half a teaspoon of black seed powder. Consume this twice daily as a memory booster.
- This herb can be taken in the supplement form to improve memory but not without doctor’s consultation.
Avocado is one of the super foods that have some amazing curing abilities. It is also called the world’s perfect food and has some unlimited health benefits. It is claimed to carry some outstanding nutrients that every person needs to survive. It is also found that this amazing fruit works as prevention for many mental diseases such as Alzheimer’s and dementia.
Avocado is also known as alligator’s pear, very high in fiber, vitamins, sodium and is cholesterol-free that can provide almost 20 more nutrients. It is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids and potassium. This fatty acid works great for your brain and lets it work like a perfect super-computer. Foods that are the natural source of omega-3 fatty acids are widely called as one of the secret to healthy brain and heart.
- The easiest way to consume avocado is cut into two halves and sprinkle some herbs or maple syrup.
- Chop up an avocado and toss it in the salad.
- Mash up some avocados and use them as a spread for bread and bagels.
- You can also try some amazing fresh avocado juice for memory improvement.
3. Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberry also known as amla is used in many Ayurvedic treatments. It grows on an Indian gooseberry tree that is extensively cultivated in India and many Middle-Eastern countries. It has been used for the past thousand years in many Ayurvedic medicines for the treatment of heart and brain diseases. Indian gooseberry reduces the level of cholesterol by including fatty acids such as triglycerides without affecting the level of good cholesterol. It also improves the memory and strengthens your nervous system.
According to the study published in the Journal of Physiology and Behavior that an Ayurvedic preparation of Amla can stimulate brain cells along with improving memory and managing Alzheimer’s disease. Because of its high antioxidant and vitamin C contents, it also boosts the immune system.
- Take 1-2 teaspoons of Indian gooseberry powder three times daily for at least a month.
- Another very effective option is to mix one teaspoon of Indian gooseberry powder with one teaspoon of sesame seed powder. Add one tablespoon of honey to the dry mixture and eat it once daily for some effective results.
- Amla powder can also be applied on the head when mixed with some essential oil like coconut or almond. This will stimulate the nervous system and will provide relaxation to the brain cells.
2. Flax Seed Oil
Flax seed oil is extracted from the flax seeds that are taken from the plant Linum usitatissimum. This special oil has been used for thousands of years because of its immense health benefits. Studies have proved that it contains a great concentration of omega-3 fatty acids known as Alpha Linoleic Acid (ALA). It also carries EPA and DHA which are also well known umega-3 contents. They work against any type of oxidation, inflammation and maintain a proper blood pressure. It relaxes the brain cells and helps the person to revitalize his memory along with improving with other mental techniques. And it helps the brain to function properly and other cardiovascular problems. Even if the person is healthy and he is not having any sort of brain dysfunction omega-3 can help boost up your memory and learning skills.
This should be always kept in mind that 60% of our brain is made up of lipids that can be found in the plasma membranes of our neurons. The omega-3 fatty acids in flax seeds stimulate these neurons and help the brain to function properly.
- Flax seed oil can be consumed as 1-2 teaspoons daily.
- It cam also be added to sweet and savory foods like in daily cooking for memory improvement.
- Massaging with flax seed oil can reduce any kind of inflammation. If applied on head it can relax your mind and stimulate brain cells.
Rosemary is one of the popular herbs that work well to improve memory. Rosemary is commonly used in many cuisines especially fresh and Italian. This herb is so strong in its contents that even sniffing its aroma can heal many mental illnesses. According to a study conducted by the University of Northumbria in England, that aroma of rosemary can help to improve prospective memory, concentration, learning and other cognitive activities. Prospective memory is the ability to remember something in advance.
Rosemary contains carnoisc acid that is loaded with brain protecting shields. These acids work on the brain cells and helps to improve the functionality of your memory. It also works on many brain disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease and helps the brain to lower its risks.
- Take one leveled teaspoon of rosemary in one cup of boiling water. Boil it for about five minutes. Strain the mixture and drink daily for few days. Add honey to enhance the taste.
- You can also breathe in the tempting aroma of rosemary or add few drops of rosemary oil in your room diffuser.
NOTE: The strong aroma of rosemary is not at all recommended for children. Always consult your doctor before in taking any strong medication.
- Try to avoid any type of saturated fats and replace them with some good unsaturated fats.
- Make your brain to workout for sometime with some challenging brain and arithmetic exercises and by solving some puzzles like crosswords or Sudoku.
- Keep a mnemonic device in case you want to remember anything.
- Get some proper sleep because insomnia or any other sleeping disorder can lead to many mental diseases.
- Try to control your anger and stress.
- Try out a little sun explosion, this will stimulate brain cells as it provides you vitamin D.
- Engage yourself in some physical exercise to increase intake of oxygen towards the brain. Physical exercises also stimulate nerve cells.
- Always eat a well-balanced diet. Try to add vitamin and mineral enriched foods.
- Include some special herbs and spices like holy basil, black pepper and turmeric to your diet. They work as an amazing antioxidant and it also boosts the memory.
- Keep a check of your blood pressure because higher blood pressure can lead to disabled brain functionality.