Wisdom teeth are generally part of your jaw and appear between the age of 17 and 25 or maybe later in life. They have nothing to do with person’s wisdom and are just called that without any specific reason. People usually have more than one wisdom tooth. Whenever it emerges, it causes a lot of pain when you eat or bite anything. One cannot stop wisdom teeth from growing, but some remedies can be followed to stop the chronic pain.
A person gets pain and uncomfortable feeling when his wisdom teeth grow and gets not enough space. It then grows in the wrong angle or sideways giving you pain and discomfort. They just get impacted as they are obstructed by other teeth. The person’s wisdom tooth comes out at the wrong place and at different angles or half in and half out causing lot of pain. These are the very last teeth to grow and are known as the third molars and appear at the very end of the lower and upper gums. People usually get four wisdom teeth.
Whenever wisdom teeth appear, they typically affect the placement of other teeth and become impact and painful. The patient may feel a lot of pain and other teeth may also get damaged. Even if there is no suspected damage but the wisdom teeth is more prone to disease. The most common signs and symptoms of having wisdom teeth impact and pain are:
- Bad breath.
- Strange taste in mouth.
- Bitter flavoring.
- Swollen gums.
- Swollen jaw.
- Bleeding gums.
- Oral ulcers.
If the wisdom teeth pain persists then most dentists recommend extracting them out as this will not cause any harm in future. Wisdom tooth pain usually occurs without any sign or warning causing intense pain and uncomfortable feeling. It can be quite unbearable and will disturb your day-to-day chores. A little hardwork by following some effective home remedies can prevent you from having this pain and will reduce the uncomfortable feeling. Let us see how you can overcome this problem by following home remedies.
“The most reliable remedy to reduce wisdom tooth pain is the use of clove buds or clove oil.”
15. Ice Pack
An ice pack is the one hot solution for wisdom tooth pain. It works best and gets rid of swelling due to heavy inflammation in the wisdom tooth and reduces the level of pain. The method is just simple:
- Take a cotton cloth or towel and fill it with ice cubes.
- Grab the cloth like a pack and place it constant on the desired swelled area.
- Give little intervals if you feel it is too cold for your skin.
- Try this method 2 times daily or till you feel the pain is fully cured.
14. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil which is popularly known for its anti-inflammatory properties shows some wonders in order to solve this painful problem. The tip is to apply a few drops of tea tree oil on the wisdom teeth and massage gently, also apply it on the gums for some quick relief. Keep it for about 30 minutes and then rinse your mouth with warm water. Repeat if pain persists.
13. Lavender Oil
Lavender is special essence oil that has some soothing agents and is extensively used in different aromatherapies to ease and soothe different body and mind problems. When this oil is applied on the affected area, it provides instant relief from the pain and soothes the desired area.
- Take a few drops of lavender oil on the finger tip and massage it over the cheek where the wisdom tooth is placed.
- This oil is for external use, avoid putting inside your mouth,
- Its strong essence will heal the problem.
- Keep it for few minutes and you will feel an instant coolness and relief from pain.
12. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is a very old and reliable technique for curing bad toothache, abscessed teeth and gum problems. This method is widely used among people who believe in home remedies and natural products.
- Take about 1 tablespoon each of coconut oil, sesame seed oil and sunflower oil and mix it well in a cup.
- Now take this mixture in your mouth and swish it around between your teeth and gums for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Spit the mixture out when you are done with it.
- Now take some warm water in a glass and add a teaspoon of salt in it.
- Swish this mixture in your mouth and rinse out after few minutes.
- Repeat the method whenever required for instant relief.
Potato can give an instant solution to many problems related to your body. It is a natural product that has shown some very good past experiences. The method to use this for wisdom tooth pain is quite simple.
- Take a medium sized potato and keep it in a freezer.
- Let it chill for a while.
- Now take the chilled potato and cut a thin slice out of it.
- Place this slice on the wisdom tooth where pain prevails.
- The chilled potato slice will numb the tooth nerves and will give you an instant relief from the pain.
- It also calms the nerves and soothes the pain.
10. Vanilla Extract
Vanilla extract is rich in antioxidant property and contains a low level of alcohol. Its application on the painful wisdom teeth can numb the nerves and will give you an instant relief. The method of its application is just simple to follow
- Apply few drops of vanilla extract on a cotton swab.
- Keep it on the affected wisdom teeth and hold it for some time.
- Repeat this 2-3 times until you feel a relief.
Note: Vanilla extract is very different from vanilla essence used in cooking and baking.
9. Wheat Grass
Wheat grass is an amazing natural product that can help you to get rid of the wisdom toothache. It is a natural antibiotic and will help you to draw out any kind of toxins and bacteria out of the mouth, in order to reduce pain.
- Take a few wheat grass shoots and chew them slowly. Do this whenever you feel pain in the tooth.
- You can also extract the juice and use it as a natural mouthwash in different times of the day.
Sage is an amazing natural pain killer and is very effective when applied on the concerned area. It provides instant relief to the wisdom tooth pain and gives a very nice soothing feel. It is a herb that has natural anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties that can cure any type of pain also gingivitis, bleeding gums and mouth sores.
- In a glass of water add a teaspoon of dried and crush sage along with a teaspoon of salt.
- Pour in a little vodka.
- Keep it for 5 minutes and swish your mouth with this mixture for 5 minutes.
- Spit it out and rinse your mouth.
- Repeat the method if required.
- Follow this effective remedy at least 2- times daily to suppress the pain.
“Always keep your teeth properly brushed and mouth washed to reduce any kind of oral infection.”
Old Ayurvedic remedies are always very effective and timely solve the problem. Asafoetida also known as hing works amazingly well in reducing the wisdom tooth pain. It has some amazing antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties. All these combine to provide an effective remedy at home.
- Simply place a pinch of asafoetida on the affected area for quick relief from pain.
- Take 1/4 teaspoon of asafoetida in 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and heat this mixture a bit. Now soak a cotton ball in this mixture and place it on the aching tooth for quick relief.
You can use any of these remedies for instant relief from pain.
6. Guava Leaves
Guava leave works excellently to reduce wisdom tooth pain. They contain quercetin that is well-known bioflavonoid that has some amazing antispasmodic properties. They are also rich in antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
- Take 2-3 leaves of guava and chew them slowly in your mouth so the juice comes out. Soon you will feel a good relief from the pain.
- Another very good method is to boil 4-5 guava leaves in a cup of water for 5 minutes and then strain the mixture. Cool it down and then perform a mouthwash for quick relief.
Peppermint is also very old an effective remedy to reduce tooth pain. This amazing herb is rich in aesthetic property and helps you to get rid of the rigid pain. Also, it will get rid of stubborn bacteria in the mouth that may cause the infection.
- Take few drops of peppermint oil and rub it on the effected area. Keep it for sometime and then rinse your mouth.
- You can also try another method where you can take a teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves and boil it in a cup of water. Steep it for 10 minutes and then strain.
- Use this mixture to swish your mouth for about a minute and then rinse it off.
Both these remedies are quite effective for the wisdom tooth pain.
Another very effective remedy for the day is the use of salt. It helps reduce pain and inflammation in the gums and prevents your teeth from having any type of infection.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt in a cup of water and swish your mouth with it for quick pain relief.
- Also try mixing an equal amount of salt and pepper with a few drops of water and apply it on the affected teeth. Keep it for 10 minutes and then rinse your mouth. You will feel much better after this.
Onion has some amazing antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that provides instant relief from wisdom tooth pain and can kill germs that can cause an infection.
- Take few slices of onion and simply chew them.
- If you don’t feel like eating onion because of taste and smell. Place a small piece of onion on affected teeth for quick relief.
Use both of the remedies several times in the day for proper relief from the pain.
Garlic has some very good medicinal properties such as anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antibiotic and antioxidant that helps reduce wisdom tooth pain. It also prevents your mouth from having any type of bacterial infection.
- Crush a clove of garlic and place it against the affected tooth.
- You can also try chewing a clove of garlic to get instant relief.
- You can also crush 2 cloves of garlic into a paste and mix with some black salt. Apply this paste on the painful wisdom tooth for quick relief. Rinse your mouth after some time.
Cloves are the very best solution for wisdom tooth pain. Its analgesic and antiseptic properties can numb the gum nerves and suppresses the pain. Plus, its antibacterial property prevents your mouth from having any sort of infection. Both clove oil and clove bud can work efficiently.
- Bad a cotton ball in clove oil and place it against the wisdom tooth in which you feel pain. You can also reapply the oil if you feel pain constantly.
- You can also try placing a clove near the affected teeth. After sometime the clove will start releasing its essence oil which will kill the pain in the wisdom tooth.
Some Amazing Tips And Tricks
- Drink lots of water in the whole day.
- Deep breathing and relaxation can also give a relief from the wisdom tooth pain.
- Properly brush your teeth and tongue on the regular basis. Also floss your teeth once a day.
- Eat less sugary stuff to protect your teeth from bacteria.
- Avoid chewing hard food.
- To reduce inflammation, use an antibacterial mouthwash.
- Oil pulling can also reduce this annoying pain.
- Chew a sugar-free gum after every meal to fight germs and stimulate saliva.
- A piece of cheese on the affected area can also reduce the pain.