Sick and tired of congestion? Here we will give you the home based remedies for nasal congestion. You get irritated by the running nose, sometimes get embarrassed by the sounds that came out when you are breathing and having congestion as well and when you try to wash your nose and wants to blow it out, then nothing came out of the nose. This really makes us feel awkward and sometimes we may lose our self-esteem due to this in the society or the party that we are attending.
What basically causes the stuffiness in the nose? The answer to this is that the nose also contains some blood vessels; these blood vessels get inflamed due to cold, flu, allergy etc. and causes clogging in the nose. This is the reason that you cannot breathe properly and get irritated and sick and frustrated even, due to nasal congestion. In the long run, if you want to get rid of these congestion, try these simple home remedies for nasal congestion to protect and recover yourself from nasal congestion.
“There can be many reasons to stuffy clogged and irritated nose. Try out these home remedies. Taking steam, or hot shower or use of nasal sprays, using of menthol or camphor are the most commonly tried procedures that come up with really good and effective results. That is the reason that these home remedies are highly followed and accepted.”
15. Inhale Steam
Learn how to get rid of nasal congestion using this simple but effective technique. This is the most common method that is usually followed in homes to get rid of congestion especially nasal congestion. Nasal congestion is one of the most tiring and disturbing processes. Although it is also said that running nose usually prevents you away from other big and dangerous diseases.
- Bring a bowl and add boil water in it.
- When the steam is coming out of it, inhale that steam from your nose by keeping your nose close to that vessel.
- Be careful, do not hurt your nose or make it burn by bringing it too close to the vessel or the bowl.
- You can also do this with the steam humidifier. It is specifically designed to give you relief from such pains. Nasal saline sprays can also be a good source of inhaling.
14. Drink Plenty Of Fluids
Drinking Fluids really helps in giving break from nasal congestion. It breaks up your congestion when you are drinking water or lemon juice; this act is saving you from dehydration as well as helping you to keep your throat wet. An average capacity of drinking is 8 to 10 glass of water. This is your daily body requirement. Keep on drinking water, natural energy juices, herbal teas, fruit juices, ginger tea, also the chicken stock or soup will be a good source to avoid nasal congestion.
13. Blow Your Nose In Nasal Congestion
When you are having congestion, just blow your nose in a proper manner. By doing so, you will feel relaxed. The proper way to blow out your nose is by putting finger on one nostril of your nose, allowing the other nostril to pass the nasal air out with pressure. Apply this procedure to both of your nostrils. Do not blow your nose with pressure without putting figure on it as this will cause your ear to feel the pain and then you will be in more trouble as you will be facing more than one problem at the same time. Often you will feel headache.
12. Use Of Sprays Or Make It Of Your Own
If you’re looking for some simple and easy ways about how to get rid of a stuffy nose, this is probably the simplest of all. There are many saline nasal sprays available in the market. Or if you do not want it then make your own spray with home remedy to stop the irrigation of nose. Make your own salt water spray. Salt water spray helps in rinsing the nose properly and also allow the particles of bacteria and virus to be removed from the nose. One of the methods of making salt water spray is given below.
- Mix three table spoon of iodine free salt with 1 tea spoon of baking soda and mix it and put it in air tight jar.
- Now whenever you are free, heat on some water, heat it to the temperature that your nose can manage, that means Luke warm water.
- Now take a bulb syringe and mix that air tight mixture in the Luke warm water.
- Now take this syringe to the basin and start pressing it’s water slowly into your nose by keeping one finger, lightly pressed, on to one nostril and keep that mixture squirting into the other nostril.
- Repeat this method with the other nostril in the same way.
11. Keep Yourself Warm
We know it’s hard to give yourself a rest in such situation but at this moment you really need rest and you should try to keep yourself warm as well so that you may get free from the nasal congestion as soon as possible. So the best home remedies for nasal congestion are these simple prevention methods.
- Keeping yourself warm and rusty, when you were first attacked by the congestion, will help your body to direct the energy towards gaining the immunity that was somehow got trapped.so give your body some rest by lying in some blanket and allow it to regain that energy.
10. Gargle With Warm Salty Water
Gargle is an effective DIY remedy that will help you in giving ease to the scratchy and sore throat by allowing it to get wet for some time. Here is how to get rid of nasal congestion using this effective method:
- So make a solution of gargle, by adding a minute or a pinch of salt into the Luke warm water and start gargling.
- Use it four times daily by giving equal break to the procedure.
- If you want to reduce the tickling in your throat then use an astringent gargle that is having the tea that contains tannin in it.
- Another type is the making of viscous gel type that is made with honey and commonly used in medicines as well.
9. Hot Liquids
Drinking hot liquids will also give your throat and your nasal congestion a good relief for some time. These hot liquids are very advantageous as it helps in giving relief form nasal congestion, dehydration and also it soothes the uncomfortable clogging that is held responsible for your nose congestion and also for the throat tickling.
- If you are unable to sleep at night than make this liquid to comfort you, hot some water and add a tea spoon of honey in it.
- Mix it and drink it.
- You will feel good.
8. Take A Hot Bath
If you want to learn how to get rid of a stuffy nose quickly, just take a hot bath. Taking a hot bath will also help you the same way as the intake of hot liquids or steam does. Hot shower moisturizes your nasal tracks and helps you to get relaxed. If you are tired of the flu and congestion, then go and take a bath, keeping you to sit on the chair. When you will come out after taking shower, you will feel fresh and easy.
7. Mentholated Slave
This is also one of the most effective and amazing home remedies for nasal congestion you can use. Try a small piece of mentholated slave under your nose and try to inhale it.
- This will helps you in the opening of the nasal passages that are blocked due to flu and congestion.
- This will open up the breathing and helps to restore the senses of irritated nose.
- Menthol, eucalyptus and camphor all have the same soothing and cooling effect, that’s why they are commonly used in medicines as well as in shampoos.
- Try out any of these, if easily available and feel the difference and feel your smelling senses as well.
6. Apply Hot Packs
You can get it from the nearby stores or from the pharmacy shops. These are easily available in the market. So If someone asks you how to get rid of a stuffy nose, just suggest this:
- Apply these hot packs around your congested sinuses.
- If you did not get it from the market then you can also make it of your own.
- Just take a neat cloth and microwave or heat it on some pan for about 30 seconds.
- Then apply it on to your nose.
- But before applying directly on to your nose, do check the temperature of that cloth that either your nose will bear that temperature or not.
5. Extra Pillow Under Your Head
Whenever you go to sleep during nasal congestion, try to have at least two pillows under your head. This will keep your blocked passages of the nasal in a breathing position. If you are not feeling good after placing two pillows than try to adjust it somehow, as you like, so that your head is in an inclined position.
These positions will make a difference without any doubt.
4. Avoid Chlorinated Pools
Although you might think the moisture will help, the chlorine in pools can irritate the mucous membranes in your nasal passages but that is not true that much. The chlorinated water may create some problem in your nasal or may create irritation to the nasal tracks. You can try other forms of water to enjoy the shower or the feeling of the water.
3. Use Of Ginger
If you’re wondering how to get rid of nasal congestion using natural remedies, ginger is the perfect one for you. Ginger is also the best source to get ease from the flu or stuffy nose. If you are getting nauseatic or you are dealing with any type or problem of congestion or if you are going through the process of indigestion, there are many chances that you will get the solution or answer to your problem in the form of ginger or any other form that contains ginger in it. It really calms down the nasal congestion or even the chest congestion and also gives a sudden relief from pain.
Quick link = Benefits of ginger
- To make a ginger tea you need some gingers, honey or lemon and some hot water.
- The best way to make the ginger tea is given below.
- Other forms of ginger tea usually decrease the effect of the ginger according to various researches.
- Get some water and allow it to heat, not up to the boiling point of water.
- Make it just a bit warm.
- In a mug, in which you will drink the ginger tea, add some slices of ginger in Julian cutting, after pealing its skin from the body.
- Add some honey or lemon, whatever you like in it, add it a bit, just to enhance the taste of it.
- Now add water on to the ginger in the jug.
- Leave it for some time and then drink it sip by sip.
- You will feel the smoothness’ in it as soon as it reaches your intestine.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
That is one of the tastiest solutions for some people. It is used in the indigestion of food as well as to free you from nasal congestion, chest congestion etc. Apple cider vinegar helps in giving relief to such problems. In all home remedies for nasal congestion, this one is known for quick relief.
- All that you will have to do is to add apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.
- Water should be a bit warm.
- After that allow it to cool to the room temperature and then drink it.
- If apple cider vinegar is not available then you can use normal vinegar in it but in a very light quantity.
1. Herbal Tea
Herbs are no doubt the best means of getting rid of most of the problems or diseases. There are many people in this world to which the medicines does not affect in a proper way, herbs is the best solution for such people. Herb is the relaxant that not only will solve your gaseous problems but it will also help you in giving break from heart burn or inflammation, nasal congestion, flu or even will provide you a feeling of relief from that stressful condition that you bear in congestion normally. Herbal tea is now available in form of tea bag also.
- All that you will have to need is warm water, some honey or lemon, herbal tea bag and a mug in which you want to drink it.
- Prepare it just like a tea and give a break to your nasal congestion.
- If you have asthma, ask your doctor before using a humidifier.
- Try out these remedies at home and you will feel good.
- If one remedy does not suit you, try the other one.
- Do not use nasal sprays if your body gets reacted very fast or is very sensitive.
- Keep a proper checkup of your body in order to avoid any other issue regarding health.