Let us first clear the cause of Multiple Sclerosis for those who don’t know about this disease at all.
What is MS or Multiple Sclerosis? Multiple Sclerosis or MS is an autoimmune disease. It affects the central nervous system which comprises of Brain and Spinal Cord. Multiple Sclerosis Association of America has been doing a lot of research over this disease. They haven’t come up with an exact cause of the disease. Though, experts somehow have tried to explain the cause. According to them, it is the myelin that is attacked by the immune system. Myelin is a sheet that protects and covers up nerve fibers present in the brain and spinal cord. Without it communication system of brain and spinal cord with the rest of the body is totally damaged.
Who are at risk of developing Multiple Sclerosis?
20 to 40 aged people are more at risk of developing multiple sclerosis. But it is not the border line; people of any age can develop this disease. However, women are at higher risk than man to develop the disease.
Factors that increase the risk of Multiple Sclerosis:
There are several factors that are considered the cause of multiple sclerosis including
- Family history
- Viral infections
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Temperate environmental conditions
- Some diseases like thyroid related diseases, diabetes, bowel diseases etc.
Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis
Multiple Sclerosis symptoms’ appearance depend upon the area where nerve fibers have been damaged. Some of the common multiple sclerosis symptoms of this disease are:
- Loss of bowel and bladder control
- Infection in the urinary tract
- Muscle spasms
- Fuzzy or blurred vision
- Unclear speech
- Concentration lacking
- Tingling in the limbs
Treatment of the disease
Since the disease is still under research, there is no proper cause has been found. Similarly, there is not a proper or proven multiple sclerosis treatment that can be used to cure the disease. Yet there are drugs and medicines that a doctor might prescribe to weaken the strength of the disease, demolish its progress and treat attacks. There are some home remedies that are truly something to rely upon. These natural remedies really work wonderfully as effective multiple sclerosis treatment. They are meant helpful in coping up the symptoms and speedy recovery from the attacks.
“Multiple Sclerosis is a disease whose cause hasn’t yet been achieved. There are several home remedies that are helpful in fighting the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis. All these remedies are totally natural and there have been a lot of research upon each one of the remedy.”
Some of the Home remedies for Multiple Sclerosis are given as follows
12. Apple Cider Vinegar
This is found really helpful for those suffering from multiple sclerosis. The acetic acid present in this MS remedy helps the body absorb and extract more vitamins and minerals from the intake of food that patients of Multiple sclerosis eat. In addition, it keeps the body healthier and infections controlled that may stimulate the Multiple Sclerosis symptoms. Here are instructions that you can adopt to stay away from severe symptoms and attacks:
- In a glass of water, add two drops of apple cider vinegar.
- Add a little amount of honey in it.
- Drink it twice a day.
Ginger is helpful in fighting with many symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis. It plays a very critical role in protecting the body and brain against oxidative stress and neurological diseases. This is the reason ginger tea and food made of ginger is considered very beneficial for health. Moreover, regular use of ginger may help prevent Multiple Sclerosis shortly known as MS:
Quick link = Health benefits of ginger
- Have 2 to 3 cups of ginger tea daily.
- You can have salads with the garnishing of grated ginger.
- Boil a cup of water and add 1 teaspoon of ginger root to it. Strain it and add honey in it. Drink it daily.
If you want to know what is MS and how you can prevent yourself against it, must use chamomile regularly. Three properties of chamomile are helpful in protecting a person against Multiple sclerosis. The properties of chamomile are:
- Immune boosting properties.
There are a few instructions for a patient of multiple sclerosis to use chamomile, which are as follows
- Add dried chamomile in a cup of water after boiling it. Cover it for 5 minutes. Strain it and have the remaining extract regularly.
- To relax your muscles and reduce tension, try having a chamomile bath.
- To have chamomile bath, add dried chamomile in a jar of hot water for 10 minutes. Pour this hot water into the bath tub. Stay in there for 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat it a few times in a week.
9. Indian Gooseberry (Amla)
Amla is a special growth of Indian land which is helpful in fighting the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis. This ingredient is rich in vitamin C and valuable nutrients which makes it a perfect DIY solution for MS. It is also known for strengthening the immune system and helps it to function properly.
- Eat amla fruits daily. If not available, drink its juice.
- Have a glass of water with amla powder every morning having your stomach empty.
Turmeric is a spice that has numerous qualities and properties that improve health and immune system. Its neuro-protective and anti-inflammatory properties help eliminate multiple sclerosis symptoms.
A study was published in the journal International Immunopharmacology, in 2011. According to the study, a compound curcumin found in turmeric is a very important constituent for the dealing of Multiple Sclerosis. Instructions for it usage are:
- Take about one teaspoon of turmeric daily.
- Turmeric should be included in your daily diet.
- Don’t forget to consult your doctor before taking turmeric supplements.
Also known as withania somnifera or Indian ginseng, this herb is helpful in fighting against Multiple Sclerosis. This herb has numerous benefits from stimulating the brain to boosting the immune system. It also weakens the symptoms of the disease like pain, fatigue, stress and anxiety. Here is how you can this as an effective multiple sclerosis treatment.
- Mix one teaspoon of ashwagandha powder in a glass of warm milk and have it every morning.
- There are ashwagandha supplements available in market but before taking them, consult your doctor.
All the supplements or herbs that stimulate and boosts up immune system, should be taken after consulting doctor because they may decrease blood pressure or may stop the effects of medicines already taken.
6. Ginkgo Biloba
Ginkgo is a natural herb that is effective in treating Multiple Sclerosis symptoms of fatigue, muscle pain and some complex cognitive functions. There are supplements available for Ginkgo Biloba in the market that you can use to treat MS.
- Take 40 to 80 mg of dosage of Ginkgo Biloba 3 times a day.
- Ask a doctor before taking this supplement as mentioned before that it may interfere with the effects of certain medicines.
5. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 can be used as an effective multiple sclerosis treatment and also for prevention. National Center for Complementary and Integartive Health (NCCIH) has done research over this supplement and has claimed a type omega-3 fatty acid which is called DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) that has the following qualities:
- It improves blood flow.
- It improves muscle activity.
- It improves brain functions.
- It also guards the central nervous systems.
- Top of all, it treats Multiple Sclerosis.
Instructions to use the supplements are as follows
- Have these supplements regularly after the consultation of a physician.
- Also increase the intake of yogurt, walnuts, milk etc. to increase the amount of essential fatty acids in your body.
4. Vitamin D
It is considered that vitamin D deficiency is the cause why Multiple sclerosis symptoms shoot up. The level of Vitamin D should be maintained in the body for preventing and treating Multiple Sclerosis. Vitamin D itself is very important for absorbing calcium and fighting osteoporosis while osteoporosis is a serious complication of Multiple Sclerosis. There are some sources and instructions for maintain an optimum level of Vitamin D in the body which are as follows:
- Sun is the main source of Vitamin D. For this, sit in the sunlight for 15 to 20 minutes early in the morning.
- Fish, mushrooms, milk, cereals (fortified), orange juices, liver oil are considered rich in Vitamin D. They should be taken frequently to increase Vitamin D amount in the body.
- Consult your doctor for taking the dosage of Vitamin D, They should be taken daily for normal functioning of the body but after consulting doctor only.
Note: Multiple Sclerosis patients should check their Vitamin D level every 3 to 6 months.
As we all know that exercise is the best remedy that helps one to fight through many disease even the trivial ones. It has the following benefits:
- It increases the energy content of the body.
- It balances the flexibility of the body.
- It strengthens muscles and give it rigidity.
- It increases stamina and helps one get rid of various diseases.
- It reduces spasticity.
- Exercise makes us fitter and help fight the symptoms of the diseases.
There are a few instructions that a Multiple Sclerosis patients should take in order to find exercise helpful in fighting the harmful disease. The instructions for multiple sclerosis treatment are as follows:
- Do walking, strengthening and stretching exercises which are considered mild type of exercises.
- Stationary bicycling and low-impact aerobics are considered important for boosting up the body.
- Swimming is an important exercise for multiple Sclerosis patients. But beware, don’t do swimming in heated pools.
Your physician or therapist may help you in this criteria more effectively. For exercise, take their help. They will guide you more than we can. As we said, you should not worry because nothing is impossible.
2. Chill Out
According to Bowling’s research, to improve thinking, strength and fatigue with walking and vision properties; cooling is an important phenomenon. The symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis are sometimes so severe, it warms up the body. Experts have suggested cooling phenomena which involves drinking cold beverages, staying inside cool air conditioned rooms for soothing up the body. In addition there are some specially-designed cooling garments that are helpful in reducing the heat of the body and help reduce MS symptoms.
Meditation is a mind-body therapy which reduces and somehow eliminates stress and anxiety. “Meditation may help Multiple Sclerosis, helping in fighting fatigue, quality of life and pain” says Dr. Rensel who has been treating the patients of Multiple sclerosis. There are some ways to meditate that are given below:
- Doing deep breathing exercises helps you focus on your mind. While doing this, recall or gather a word or a phrase that helps you calm down and soothes up your tensions and anxieties.
- Take a quiet room for doing meditation where no outside voice distracts your feelings and focusing power. Do this at home if it is feasible.
- Try for joining tai chi classes if available.
- There are some movements done during meditation called slow-flowing movements. These movements are helpful in improving walking abilities.
Meditation is a perfect therapy that is helpful in defending against various diseases. It helps you bring your body and mind to one point and avoids the clashes of body movements against your cognitive thinking. Moreover, meditation brings in one peace of mind as well as body. Multiple sclerosis patients are instructed to meditate in their free times especially when they are not feeling good.
- Regularly drink cold beverages.
- Stay indoors.
- Eat fresh organic foods and vegetables.
- Eat small meals at regular intervals.
- Include yogurt in your meals.
- Calcium intake is necessary for a healthy nervous system.
- Dilute ¼ cup of 100% unsweetened cranberry juice is necessary for 1 cup of water.
- Try acupuncture, acupressure.
- Meditation is necessary for reducing tension.
- Venom therapy is helpful for treating multiple sclerosis treatment.
- Avoid hot baths.
- Do not smoke.
- Avoid fatigue activities.
- Reduce exposure to second hand smoke.
All these instructions are helpful in fighting against the disease. These instructions and remedies are considered to have a soothing effect. We have gathered up this information for you all, so that the ones who are fighting with the disease and are having a tough time might get their lives at safer side. Nothing is impossible and advancements in science and technology are what making things easy for everyone. So don’t feel yourself pushed back. Be strong because you only live once!