For healthy arteries and balanced cholesterol level, you’ll need to lower your LDL level, and to boost your HDL level through these remedies.
Cholesterol is an oily or greasy substance present in the blood that is required for building and maintaining healthy cell membranes. Cholesterol level often gets high due to unhealthy and unbalanced diet of high saturated fats, which may lead to various heart diseases.
For healthy arteries and balanced cholesterol level, you’ll need to lower your (Low-density lipo protein) LDL level, and also try to boost your (high-density lipo protein) HDL level. Here are 27 home remedies you can follow to keep your cholesterol level normal.
27. Orange Juice
Orange juice is rich in Vitamin C, Flavonoids and Folate.
- Drinking 3 glasses of fresh-squeezed orange juice regularly can be of great help in reducing cholesterol level.
A recent study shows that drinking 3 glasses of Orange juice every day can increase the HDL level to 21% and can lower the LDL/HDL ratio to 16 %. So if you’re wondering how to lower cholesterol levels, just drink fresh orange juice regularly.
26. Omega-3 Intake
Fish oil and Fish like tuna, salmon, herring, mackerel, and trout are loaded with omega-2 fatty acid, which helps in lowering the LDL cholesterol, improving good cholesterol level and preventing risks of heart disease.
- Consume 1-4 grams fish oil every day.
- Try to eat at least 2 fish servings.
- If you are a vegetarian, you can go for flax seeds which are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, grind them and mix it with yogurt.
Having a bowl of oatmeal is an effective and easy way to lower your cholesterol level. It reduces cholesterol absorption also.Switching your breakfast to two servings of Oats can help you in lowering LDL cholesterol level 5% in only 5-6 weeks.It is a good source of soluble fiber. Make sure to eat fiber rich foods to lower cholesterol levels.
Other good sources of soluble fiber are Barley beans, Parley, Okra, Eggplant etc.
24. Have A Glass Of Red Wine
Alcohol can also be helpful in raising the HDL cholesterol level by 5-10 percent.Especially the Red wine which is made from high fiber grapes is beneficial in lowering the cholesterol level because it is rich in Poly-phenol antioxidants. A study conducted by Spain shows that a woman should take one glass of wine every day and a man should take two a day only. Excess of it would outweigh the benefits.
If you’re wondering how to lower cholesterol levels, consume one handful of Nuts every day, they are full of monounsaturated fats, fiber, vitamin, proteins, and nutrients. Walnuts, peanuts, almonds, pecans, and pistachios all nuts are full of antioxidants, which help in reducing your cholesterol level. Studies have shown that consuming a quarter cup Almonds a day can lower LDL cholesterol level by 4.4 %. Similarly walnuts are also very beneficial as they contain omega-3 fatty acids and can lower your LDL level by 16 percent. It is highly suggested to eat nuts regularly for lowering your cholesterol levels.
Note – All nuts are high in calories, so avoid overeating.
Onions are also very beneficial for lowering your cholesterol level.
- Grind an onion. Take one teaspoon of onion juice and mix it with one teaspoon of honey.
- You can also mix one chopped onion, quarter teaspoon pepper and one cup of buttermilk. Consume it daily. It will improve good cholesterol level and decrease the bad cholesterol levels.
21. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar also helps in bringing down your cholesterol level.It is an extremely powerful solution for curing many illnesses. Hear is how to lower cholesterol levels using apple cider vinegar.
- Blend 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with a glass of water and drink it 2 times a day for a month.
If you don’t like Apple cider vinegar taste, you can also mix some fresh grape juice, apple juice or orange juice with apple cider vinegar.
Honey is full of vitamins and minerals, which makes it the perfect high cholesterol fighter. Antioxidants are present in honey, which stop cholesterol from entering into the blood vessels.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey to a glass of hot water and have it daily.
- Add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, to honey and water. Drink it every morning for better results in improving good cholesterol level.
- You can also mix a teaspoon of ground cinnamon with hot water. Cover it for 40 minutes and strain it. Add one teaspoon of honey to this mixture. Consume it daily on an empty stomach and you will feel better.
19. Coriander Seeds
Studies have demonstrated that coriander can bring down the levels of triglycerides and cholesterol. Coriander seeds have hypoglycemic effects which are very beneficial for diabetic patients also.
- Add 2 spoons of coriander to one cup of water and boil them. Strain it; add sugar, milk and cardamom to it. Drink it thrice daily to lower cholesterol levels.
18. Red Yeast Rice
Red yeast rice is a kind of traditional Chinese medication that is utilized to bring down the cholesterol level. It contains monounsaturated fatty acids, isoflavones, monacolins and sterols.
- Take its supplement of 1200 to 2400 mg once a day.
Note – Must take a physician’s advice before using.
Soybeans are a rich source of phosphorus, protein, iron, B complex vitamins, magnesium and calcium. Eating soybeans, soy nuts or other products made of soya are a good way of lowering your cholesterol level. It is also effective in improving good cholesterol level. It is suggested that devouring 25 grams of soya protein a day can bring down the cholesterol level by 4-6 %.
Note –Some eating soy might face digestion problems like stomach ache, loose stools etc. So do consult a doctor before including it in your daily diet routine.
16. Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberry is a rich source of vitamin C and other minerals that deal with many ailments. It is a powerful antioxidant agent that strengthens your heart muscles by lowering the cholesterol level, keeping the blood vessels and arteries clean. Make sure to learn how to lower cholesterol level using Indian gooseberry.
- Take a glass of warm water. Add and stir one teaspoon of Indian gooseberry in it. Drink it onempty stomach in the morning.
Garlic is used in the kitchen all the time because of its high nutritional value. It plays a major role in curing many diseases like high blood pressure. It has sulfur content and anti-clotting properties which helps in maintaining the cholesterol level and prevents clotting in vessels saving you from heart strokes.
- Have grated garlic in your salads, dal or soups.
- You can also eat 2 – 3 cloves of garlic with water every day to lower cholesterol levels.
14. Brown Rice
Brown rice is loaded with fiber, vitamins and minerals. Replace your white rice with brown rice if you want to balance your cholesterol levels. Brown rice contains saturated oils which play an important role in maintaining your cholesterol levels. A study conducted shows that one cup of brown rice contains 11% fiber.
Turmeric is used as a healing and beauty element in Asian countries. It has antiseptic properties for healing wounds and can cut down the plaque on the walls of blood vessels and arteries.
Quick link = Turmeric benefits
- Adding a dash of turmeric powder to vegetable or a meal is one of the best ways of consuming turmeric daily. It will help you improve good cholesterol level.
- Boil some water and mix 2 tablespoon of cooked eggplant and ¾ teaspoon turmeric to make a paste. Spread it on a bread slice and eat it regularly.
12. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is considered to be very beneficial for high cholesterol level, though it is a saturated fat. If you want to know an effective way of how to lower cholesterol level naturally, then use coconut oil in your meals. Coconut oil contains lauric acid, which increases the HDL level and maintains a good HDL/LDL ratio.
- Add some amount of organic coconut oil in food while cooking.
- Take at least two tablespoons of coconut oil daily.
Note –Use pure organic coconut oil, not refined or processed.
11. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds are a good source of potassium, zinc, iron, calcium, manganese, selenium, vitamin A, vitamin B and vitamin C. Steroidal saponins, present in fenugreek seeds help in reducing the absorption of cholesterol in the body. Its regular use effectively reduces bad cholesterol levels.
- Take about 2 ounces of fenugreek seeds daily to lower down the cholesterol level 14 %. It also reduces the risk of heart attack by 25%.
- Fenugreek seeds powdered form can be consumed with water.
- Fenugreek leaves can also be added to the salad or you can add it to the meals as a spice or herb.
Fenugreek seeds have a bitter taste. So do not use it in excess quantity. You can remove the seeds bitterness by soaking the seeds overnight in water. Whereas fenugreek leaves are not bitterand can be used in large quantity. They give a very nice aroma and taste to the meal.
Beans are loaded with soluble fiber that helps in lowering the cholesterol level. They keep your heart healthy by lowering the LDL level. There are many different types of beans available in the market now such as chickpea, butter beans, kidney, pinto, navy etc.
- Have a cup of any of these beans for 6 weeks daily and you will see your cholesterol level go down by 10%.
9. Olive Oil
Olive oil is made up of monounsaturated fats, which brings down the LDL cholesterol level maintaining a good HDL level.
- Have at least 2 tablespoons of olive oil daily by cooking food in it. You can also roast vegetables or chicken with it.
- You can also use it in salads or for marinating fish to improve good cholesterol level.
Note – Olive oil is full of calories, so don’t use it in excess.
Apples are rich with antioxidants like flavonoids and pectin that helps in lowering the cholesterol level which makes them an amazing super food for your health. It also keeps your lungs healthy.
- Consuming an apple a day adds 4 grams of fiber, vitamin A and C to your body.Love and enjoy this fruit to the fullest.
Other fruits like oranges, pear, pomegranate and grapefruit, all contain high fiber content and maintain a good cholesterol level.
Note – Try eating fruits with their skin as fruit’s skin are also loaded with healthy fiber.
Celery consists of antioxidants, which help in lowering the risk of heart strokes and maintains a good LDL cholesterol level due to the presence of butylphthalide. It is highly recommended to use in your meals to lower bad cholesterol levels.
- You can eat it in the form of salads, soups or vegetable juice.
- Add 2 stalks of celery in your lunch box to lower your LDL level by 7%.
6. Mustard Greens
Mustard greens are rich in calcium, sulforaphane, fiber, vitamin C and has anti-inflammatory properties which balances both the cholesterol level and blood pressure in your body. They help in reducing the LDL level because of low sodium content.
- Must take at least a half cup of mustard greens every day to reduce your cholesterol level by 12 %.
Chocolate is a good source of antioxidants, which balances the HDL cholesterol level.It contains flavones and plant sterols usually found in dark chocolate, which can reduce the LDL cholesterol by 2-5%. The flavonoids help in unclogging the arteries and preventing blood platelets from sticking together.
- Eat one ounce of chocolate every day to boost up the good cholesterol level in your body.
Note – Dark chocolate without milk is best for it.
Tomatoes are a good source of antioxidant, lycopene. Daily consumption of lycopene lowers the LDL cholesterol level. If someone asks you how to lower cholesterol level naturally, just suggest them to use tomatoes regularly.
- Simply eat raw tomatoes or take tomato juice.
Note – Cooking tomatoes with some oil helps your body to absorb more lycopene.
Regular consumption of one cup of plain yogurt can reduce your LDL (bad cholesterol) by 4 percent. It also reduces the risk of heart diseases by 10 percent.
Herbal Home Remedies for Lowering High Cholesterol
2. Green Tea
Matcha Green tea is a rich source of antioxidant compounds that can lower the cholesterol level by protecting LDL cholesterol particles from oxidation. It also relaxes the blood vessels preventing blood clotting.
- A cup of green tea has far more antioxidants than fruits or vegetables. So you must drink at least 3 cups of green tea every day to reduce bad cholesterol and improve good cholesterol level.
Ginger is an herb that adds flavor to your meal along with lowering the cholesterol level.
These home remedies will play a very good role in maintaining your LDL cholesterol to a great extent. Stay healthy!
- Exercise daily. It is very effective in maintaining good cholesterol levels.
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, which will keep your heart healthy.
- Keep a balanced and healthy weight.
- Eat small meals.
- Avoid smoking.
- Avoid foods that contain high saturated fats.
- Don’t consume excess of butter, hard margarine, fatty and processed meat and dairy fats.