Irritation in vocal cords, result in inflammation and prevents you from speaking. This inflammation is called laryngitis. You will suffer with some strange voice or no voice. Even, the voice gets hoarse or become too silent or quiet to hear. When the vocal cords gets bacterial infection or viral, it is most likely to get laryngitis. The effect of laryngitis may take two weeks; in short, you may not speak for two weeks.
The other laryngitis symptoms you may get are sore throat, which may be painful. With sore throat, you can also get fever, cough, and irritation in throat, headache and congestion, which keep you disturbed for a week. Excessive speaking or taking with abuse voice may also cause the inflammation in vocal cords, called laryngitis. Sometime laryngitis may be chronic laryngitis, often occurred by excessive smoking, consumption of alcohol and exposure to pollution.
Though effective home remedies best cure various throat infections or irritations, but if you suffer with chronic laryngitis, you need to see your doctor. With latest research and testing, here are effective home remedies for laryngitis;
12. Onion Syrup
The fresh prepared juice from raw onions can be an effective treatment for laryngitis. The juice is beneficial to cure the sourness and pain of throat. Even the inflammation or burning caused by laryngitis can be prevented from onion syrup as onion acts as a natural expectorant. Here is how to get rid of sore throat using these treatments.
Preparation Of Onion Syrup
- Cut few onions into small chopped pieces and boil it in 5 cups of water.
- Boil the mixture for 30 minutes, until it gets thick solution just like syrup.
- Add 5 tablespoon of onion juice in a glass of warm water.
- Add lemon and honey in a small quantity (1 tsp.) into onion juice.
- Drink the syrup slowly.
“In the list of several throat infections, laryngitis is also common illness occurred with most of the people. The reasons can be many from excessive loud talks to too much consumption of smoke and alcohol. Laryngitis is an inflammation in the voice box that restricts you from speaking. The time period of laryngitis can be, vary from few days to 2 or 3 weeks. Gargling with salt water and intake of particular green tea also works perfect.”
After onion, time for some garlic. Value your kitchen ingredients, they are too beneficial. Garlic, when used in sliced or crushed form, produces antimicrobial substance, called allicin, and allicin kicks out bacteria and viral infections from throat. Individuals, suffering with laryngitis are most likely recommended to eat garlic to reduce the viral and bacterial infections. You can use this effective laryngitis treatment using following ways:
- Suck the juice of two raw garlic cloves, kept on both sides of your mouth. Crush them and absorb the juice. Swallow the garlic afterwards.
- The other method is to make syrup of raw garlic cloves with apple cider vinegar and water in equal proportions. Mix well the ingredients and allow it to rest for 4 hours. Add honey before keeping in refrigerator. Take 2 to 3 tablespoon after 6 hours.
Learn how to get rid of sore throat using this simple but effective remedy. Gargling always works when you are suffering with any of throat illness. It is one of the safest and simplest solutions for sour and painful throat. Regular use of remedy can recover you from voice box. Individual can get little relief from sourness and hoarseness. Salt is an anti-bacterial ingredient that also heals sour throat and kicks out the prevailing germs or bacteria in throat.
- Take a glass of warm water.
- Add salt in warm water, stir well the mixture.
- Gargle three times a day with salty warm water.
The sweetened thick honey works perfect for your throat and voice box. The astringent properties of honey are effecting in treating irritated, pained and inflamed throat. With that, the anti-bacterial properties prevent further growth of bacteria in the voice box and works for reducing the infection.
The following methods for laryngitis treatment will also clear mucus blockage in the nose and throat, resulting in quick healing of the infection.
- Swallow directly a tablespoon or two of honey at regular intervals to observe positive changes in throat.
- Adding a tablespoon of honey into matcha green tea can also be effecting in treating throat infection.
8. Voice Rest
If your voice box is suffering from burning inflammations and sore throat, it is time to give rest to you voice. Laryngitis sufferers are asked not to put pressure on voice box and to relax. If you have to deliver speech to large gatherings, use microphone. Excessive talking or loud singing can take long time for treatment and may cause an increase in the infection.
- Rest as much as you can. Try to avoid whispering as it puts more strain on your voice.
7. Lemon Juice
The lemon that comes in your home as a cooking ingredient can be effective in treating laryngitis. The acidic nature of lemon is beneficial for treating bacterial infections prevailing in the throat. The fresh juice of lemon is known for hydration and it keeps stimulating the production of saliva in the mouth. Regular intake of lemon juice can be curative in reducing the mucus blockages in the nose and throat. Make sure to use this treatment if you’re feeling laryngitis symptoms.
Quick link = Benefits of lemon water
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice and take it on regular intervals.
- You can add honey to add a sweetening flavor in the limewater.
In order to reduce the symptoms caused by laryngitis, use of ginger is effective. Ginger works perfect for reducing the inflammation caused by laryngitis and it also reduces the risk of getting common cold symptoms as fever, cough and irritation. It also has the anti-microbial property to soothe larynx and relief from pained throat. Here is how to get rid of sore throat using garlic.
Quick link = Health benefits of ginger
- Chew small pieces of garlic and suck the juice of garlic to overcome inflammation and irritation.
- Go for boiling method. Boil two cups of water with 2 teaspoon of grated or crushed ginger. Boil until water reduces to 50% and filter the solution. Add honey for more taste and effective results.
- Garlic tea can also be effective in treating throat infections.
5. Slippery Elm
You can try slippery elm for treating laryngitis. Slippery elm is a nutritious plant or tree, mostly available in North America. Slippery elm when mixed with water takes shape of slippery gel lubricates the throat, mouth and intestines, aiming to provide relief from irritation. You can make gruel from slippery elm, as an effective laryngitis treatment to heal your illness.
- A simple decoction can be made from slippery elm by mixing small part of powdered bark into 8 to 9 cups of boiling water.
- Mix the mixture and drink the solution half a cup, three times a day.
Precaution: Watch out for possible reactions. Take a very small quantity of slippery elm in order to avoid over dose.
4. Steam Inhalation
Dehydration and presence of dry weather are causes to make throat suffer with excessive dryness. The dryness of throat can be thwarted by steam inhalation twice in a day. You can go for one in the morning and one, before you go to sleep to reduce laryngitis symptoms.
- Boil a large pot of water for about 15 minutes. Remember to cover the pot with lid. Place the pot on a safe area, cover your head with towel, and inhale the steam properly. Breathe in and breathe out.
- You can also VicksVaporous in the boiling water.
3. Moist Your Throat
Dryness of throat can be acute problem in throat infections, including laryngitis. If went ignored, dryness can get worse. It is equally important to moist your throat with plenty of fluids intake. For quick and instant recovery, take lots of water to keep your throat hydrated and overcome dryness.
- Healthy fluids and green tea with lemon also works perfect to moist your throat.
- Water, being the basic need, should be taken in an increased amount as an effective laryngitis treatment.
2. Eucalyptus Oil
If you’re wondering how to get rid of sore throat, try eucalyptus oil for quick relief. With natural products, eucalyptus oil also acts to treat symptoms of laryngitis. To provide relief and soothing effect on throat, eucalyptus oil can perform recovery. The natural antiviral and antibacterial properties in the oil can also reduce the bacterial infections to some extent and stops further growth of infection in the throat.
- Inhaling steam of eucalyptus oil is the best use of this remedy. Put few drops in pot of boiling water. Cover your head with a towel and inhale the steam. Repeat the process for two times in a day.
- It also works effectively to moisturize your infected and pained throat.
In order to alleviate laryngitis, regular use of mouthwash can also be effective. People suffering with throat infections, including laryngitis should use antibiotic mouthwash that lessens the bacterial infections in the mouth and throat. The regular use of mouthwash can be an effective remedy for curing laryngitis and its symptoms.
- Besides providing a refreshing smell to mouth, it also reduces swelling and inflammation in throat.
- Speak softly when suffering with laryngitis.
- Give complete rest to your larynx.
- Remember to humidify the atmosphere. Use humidifier to reduce laryngitis symptoms.
- Go for plenty of liquids, particularly water.
- Avoid drinking or eating anything for half an hour after gargling.
- Avoid intake of alcohol and caffeine.
- Avoid whispering.
- Quit smoking until you get out of this treatment.