An itchy scalp which is a socially unacceptable trait may lead to embarrassment and discomfort if done in public. Moreover, it’s a condition quite commonly faced by adults that might be caused due to any particular skin condition or some other factors. There can be various skin conditions behind this such as eczema, psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis or just dandruff, a normal dry scalp, improper hair care and fungal infections of the scalp.
An itchy scalp tends to become a cause of concern if it happens randomly and creates an immediate urge to scratch the scalp which might further lead to painful spots on the places where scratched while leaving a burning feeling. Furthermore, it’s painful and difficult to undergo a hair wash as just when the water hits the painful spots it creates an uneasy burning sensation which is at times uncontrollable. However, if you’ve fallen prey to this awful condition of having an itchy scalp then you don’t need to go on and about asking people for the best product in market to help cure it but all you need is a few home remedies and you’re good to go! As you continue reading, you’ll come across various home remedies for treating an itchy scalp. So, happy reading and implementing!
“Going through severe itching, pain and burning? Well, that will happen no more as now you have an access to one of the finest home remedies to cure this unpleasant condition.”
15. Baking Soda
Ladies, baking soda isn’t only a bleaching and cleaning agent but also an itchy scalp healer. So if you’ve been complaining of having an itchy scalp and looking for a way to get rid of it then next time you go shopping don’t forget to include baking soda in your grocery trolley. Baking soda is known to be beneficial for a number of factors inclusive of curing an itchy scalp. It contains of alkaline properties which help in balancing the pH of hair and relief’s one of itchiness in return. It is an amazing remedy to cure and prevent itchy scalp hair loss. To make use of it follow the steps described below.
- Create a mixture of baking soda and water.
- Make a paste of it.
- Later, apply it on the itchy scalp and wash it off after a while.
14. Coconut Oil
Raw coconuts, coconut powder and coconut oil aren’t meant for culinary purposes only but for multiple other purposes too. Coconut oil is proven to be good for the skin as well as the hair and most importantly for treating an itchy scalp. As many of you would prefer coconut oil over others because of its sweet smell, now you’ll be considering it even more as you’ve known that it’s a skin and hair agent as well. Moreover, it can do wonders for an itchy scalp. So get going and go buy coconut oil to get rid of an itchy scalp for good. Then all you need to do is,
- Take a handful of coconut oil.
- Next, gently massage it on your scalp.
- Later, wash it off after a while to get rid of dry itchy scalp.
13. Lemon Juice
Lemons are one of the best foods for their amazing health benefits. Lemon brings along blessings and goodness with itself in the form of working as a bleaching agent, skin beautifier and a cure against hair damage. It can also be used with yogurt to cure dry scalp problem. Moreover, it’s can act as one strong home remedy for an itchy scalp. Lemons consist of antiseptic properties which can be used to cure an itchy scalp and help get rid of this condition soon and quick. The steps to use this DIY lemon juice treatment are discussed below.
Quick links = Benefits of lemon water
- First, for a mild itching mix lemon juice with water.
- However, if it’s a severe one; mix lemon juice with curd or yoghurt and apply it on the scalp.
- Next, leave it for 15 minutes and wash it off with cold water.
12. Apple Cider Vinegar
This makes up another home remedy which at one end isn’t costly and on the other end is pretty effective with considerable results. It can be used to treat an itchy scalp in the same manner as mentioned in the home remedies listed above. What you need to do is put some Apple Cider Vinegar in a spray bottle along with some water and then sprays it all over your scalp. Let it be on the scalp for a while and wash it off later. This will help you in having a safe escape from the frowned upon condition of an itchy scalp to a much relief filled peaceful scalp. It will also help you prevent itchy scalp hair loss problem.
11. Witch Hazel
Who knew flowers could be named after witches? Well yes, they do! Witch hazel is a flowering plant which is used for quite a lot of medical purposes. Apart from hazel eyes, hazel colored hair, hazel walnut chocolates and wafers, now you can add witch hazel to your dictionary in regard of the word hazel too. Witch hazel can be used as a skin care agent and act as a home remedy to treat itchy scalp as well. All you need to do to cure dry itchy scalp is,
- Mix a part of witch hazel with a high amount of water as compared to it.
- Once they’re mixed well together pour the paste on your scalp.
- Massage it nice and good.
- Wash it off after a while.
10. Banana And Avocado
Alert! All women with a dry itchy scalp, this is your chance to get rid of it completely just by making use of two readily available fruits. They’ll make you enjoy glowing and moisturized hair too. Moreover, a combination of banana and avocado is known to be pretty vital for fry, dull, rough and damaged hair as they end up adding extra gloss and shine to your hair. Who knew that a secret home remedy to prevent itchy scalp would be lying in your fruit basket? However, now you do and should make the best use of it by following the directions explained below.
Quick link = Health benefits of Avocado
- Mash two bananas along with an avocado.
- Gently rub this mixture on your scalp.
- Let it remain over there for half an hour.
- Later, wash it off clean to get rid of itchy or dry scalp.
9. Jojoba Oil
This is colorless and odorless oil which is made to use for various purposes. It’s used in making cosmetic products, moisturizers, creams, shampoos and lotions. Jojoba oil is that one oil which is recognized as being the nearest to a person’s natural oil produced and can help pretty well for a hair treatment or hair massage. Moreover, due to its natural moisturizer properties it can be used to treat dry and itchy scalps. All that’s needed is a gentle massage of Jojoba oil on the scalp which should be repeated at least twice a week. Its regular massage also helps you to itchy scalp hair loss problem.
8. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is known to be one of the finest home remedy which is used at almost every instance. If you don’t own an Aloe Vera plant until now then go fetch one without wasting another moment because you don’t know what an essential element you’re lacking at home. Moreover, even your mind can’t fathom the huge amount of benefits that it carries along with itself. Although it has sticky edges but the pulp found inside it is worth a lot and helps in curing against worn off skin and damaged hair as well as an itchy scalp. Its cooling properties will help combat against itching and burning sensations. To cure dry itchy scalp, all you need to do is,
- Cut out a leaf of the Aloe Vera gel.
- Next, extract the gel stored inside it.
- Later, massage it over your itchy scalp and wash it away after an hour.
“Looking for a solution to dry and itchy scalp? Well, it’s there hidden inside your home as I unveil to you the best home remedies to get rid of it.”
7. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is amongst other useful home remedies which work great for treating an itchy scalp. It’s widely considered to help curing dry, itchy and a flaky scalp. Like other oils, tea tree oil needs to be gently massaged on the scalp to avoid an itchy and dry scalp. It can be used in two ways which are as follows,
- Mix a small amount of tea tree oil with your shampoo and wash your hair using that only.
- Or, add a tbsp. of vegetable oil to 3-4 drops on tea tree oil and massage it all over your scalp.
- Later, rinse off clean and get rid of dry scalp.
6. Essential Oil Massage
A combination of varied essential oils can help in moisturizing the hair and getting rid of a dry and an itchy scalp. It’s known to be one of the best home remedies to treat the latter cause mentioned behind. An essential oil massage can lead to a person getting relaxed and have a good escape from the daily course of life. A combination of lavender oil, olive oil, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, almond oil, avocado oil and coconut oil can be used to overcome a dry and itchy scalp leaving you with glossy beautiful looking locks. Make sure to use this effective treatment if you’re also suffering from itchy scalp hair loss problem.
5. Sesame Seed Oil
Adding to your information, sesame seed oil contains moisturizing and nourishing elements which can help combat against an itchy scalp. Moreover, it is known to soothe and heal as well and can be used as an efficient home remedy to treat damaged and dried hair or an itchy scalp. As it consists of moisturizing properties, it can be used to add a good amount of lubrication and moisture that your scalp needs and prevent dryness or itchiness. All these benefits make it an amazing remedy for dry itchy scalp. It can be used according to the following steps,
- Heat the sesame seed oil until it’s warm.
- Gently massage it all over your scalp and let it be over night.
- Next, wash it off in the morning.
- Repeat this regularly until you feel a relief from an itchy scalp.
4. Onion Juice
Onions aren’t only supposed to be used for culinary purposes but for treating damaged hair, an itchy scalp and work towards hair growth as well. It’s considered as a great source to avoid hair damage ad it increases the blood flow of the scalp leading to strong roots and consequently, long and shiny hair. Onions consist of antibacterial properties which can easily treat a dry or an itchy scalp quite effectively. Moreover, it has a wide amount of nutrients such as potassium, magnesium and Vitamins B6 and C which works as a protecting shield against an itchy scalp. Onion juice can be used for dry scalp as follows,
- Grind an onion and extract its juice.
- Mix 3 tbsp. of it with some olive oil or coconut oil to avoid its odor.
- Next, massage it over the scalp nice and well.
- Later, wash it after no more than 30 minutes.
3. Neem Oil
It’s a vegetable oil which is emerged from various fruits and seeds of neem. It’s known to be native to the Indian subcontinent and then later, spread amongst other areas too. It has been a primary ingredient for Ayurveda home remedies which can be used for multiple purposes inclusive of the treatment of an itchy scalp. It consists of amazing anti-bacterial and anti-septic elements which help in reducing inflammation and thus, getting rid of an itchy scalp and itchy scalp hair loss problem. It can be used in the following manner.
- Gently massage neem oil over your scalp.
- Let it remain there for about 15 minutes.
- Later, rinse it off clean.
2. 3 Into 1 Puree
Olive oil, mayonnaise and broccoli should be combined and used together for an itching free, shiny, glossy and beautiful hair. All three of them play an equal part in serving for home remedies especially for fighting against an itchy scalp. A puree of the three of them would lead to a moisturized and hydrated scalp which would make way for shiny and lovely locks. It can be used according to the steps listed below to get rid of dry itchy scalp problem.
- Take all 3 of them and make an ample amount of paste through their mixture.
- Rub the paste against your scalp.
- Leave it for no more than 15 minutes.
- Later, wash it off clean and repeat these steps regularly to get rid of an itchy scalp soon enough.
1. Don’t Tie Wet Hair
It has usually occurred to women with long hair that they tend to tie their hair before it’s actually dried. What they don’t tend to realize is that it can cause a head ache, can collect dirt in the hair and can thus lead to an itchy scalp. So it’s essential to dry and brush the hair on the scalp for your hair to appear nice and pretty.
Tips To Remember
- Change your hair care products regularly to much moisturized products in order to lessen the dryness of your scalp. It will prevent you from dry skin problem.
- Follow a proper diet plan which includes nuts, fruits and vegetables.
- Brush and comb your hair nicely every day for tangle free beautiful looking hair.
- Don’t use shampoos or conditioners with Alcohol as an ingredient in them which will most probably lead to an itchy scalp.
- Use a good hydrating conditioner.
- Avoid your hair’s direct contact with the sun.
- Lower your stress levels by various exercises such as yoga, walking, swimming and much more.
- Increase your intake of food which is filled with fatty acids such as Vitamins A, B and C and Zinc which will most probably provide a good escape from dry and itchy scalp.
- Don’t over use hair chemicals to avoid itchy scalp hair loss problem.
- Always avoid washing hair with hot water. Therefore, wash hair with cold water.
- Drink lots and lots of water!