Fungal infections are most commonly found on the skin. These infections are caused by microorganisms that are mostly present on the body surface. Fungal infections are harmless for individuals with a proper functioning immune system. These infections show mild symptoms and are not contagious.
Fungal infections are not attractive; they look pretty bad and can be the source of discomfort for a person. However, they can easily be treated using home remedies. These home remedies require stuff that is already present in every household.
Here are 20 effective home remedies for fungal infections.
“Fungal infections occur every now and then. The good news is that they are mostly harmless. Here are a few home remedies to help you treat your fungal infection”
21. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is widely known for its healing and antimicrobial properties. It helps treat fungal infections and has proven to be quite an effective treatment.
There are two ways through which apple cider vinegar can be used to treat fungal infections: It can be done by a topical application or by taking it orally.
- Take a cup of warm water.
- Mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in the water.
- Stir and drink once or twice a day to get rid of fungal skin infection.
To use apple cider vinegar as a topical treatment you will need to:
- Carefully clean the affected area.
- Dilute the apple cider vinegar with equal volume of water.
- Soak the affected area in the water for 30 min.
- Dry the skin completely.
20. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil helps fight fungal infections because of its anti fungal properties. It helps eliminate infections and prevents it from spreading. Tea tree oil is very commonly found in the market. A lot of brands use tea tree oil in their skin care products. The benefits of this wonderful oil are endless.
- Mix equal amounts of tea tree oil and olive oil.
- Clean the affected area and apply this oil mixture.
- Rub the oil mixture on the skin.
- Apply this solution several times a day to cure fungal infections.
Yoghurt can be used to treat fungal infections. The yoghurt should be plain, unsweetened and natural. Yoghurt helps fight fungi by controlling their growth; it provides them with an unfriendly environment.
- Dip a cotton ball in plain yoghurt.
- Apply yoghurt generously on the affected area.
- Leave the yoghurt on the skin for a good 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water and pat the area dry.
Yoghurt should also be eaten twice a day until the fungal infection goes away.
18. Baking Soda
Baking soda has antifungal properties. Hence, it is an effective DIY treatment used to fight fungal infections.
- Add half a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water.
- Stir and drink on an empty stomach.
- Continue this treatment for two weeks.
- After two weeks, take a two weeks rest.
- Continue the treatment after rest for another two weeks to completely heal fungal skin infection.
Your fungal infection should be gone by now. If you do not like the taste of this drink, you can use baking soda in your salt water bath. It works just as well.
17. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is another way to treat fungal infections using home remedies.
- Dilute the hydrogen peroxide with water.
- Apply it on the affected area
- Rinse after a few minutes
- Thoroughly dry the area.
This treatment should not be used by people who have sensitive skin.
16. Salt Baths
Salt is a very good cleanser and helps to fight off skin infections. If you have a vaginal infection, a good long soak in a salt bath might be the cure for you. Do not use any commercial salt. For this treatment you should only use natural sea salt.
- Fill your bath tub with warm water.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of sea salt on top.
- Spend at least 15 min in the bath.
- Rinse off all the salt water and dry your body completely using a clean towel.
If you continue this treatment for a few days, you should be able rid of your fungal infections in no time.
Garlic is a natural antibiotic. It has anti fungal and antibiotic properties that help remove nasty infections. The use of garlic is beneficial for all types of fungal infections.
- Take two cloves of garlic and crush them.
- Add a few drops of olive oil to the crushed garlic.
- Mix the two ingredients together until they form a paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected area.
- Leave the paste on the skin for about 30 minutes
- Wash with warm water and thoroughly dry the area.
This treatment should be used twice a day until the infection goes away.
Adding garlic in your food will also speed up the process.
14. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is an essential oil. It helps fight off fungal infections by providing them with an unfriendly environment. It should not be used internally. If you do feel the need to use it internally, you should first consult your doctor.
- Clean the affected area.
- Add up to 4 drops of lavender oil in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Mix the two oils together until well combined.
- Apply this mixture on the affected area 2 to 3 times a day to heal fungal skin infection.
Turmeric powder is a natural antiseptic agent. It helps fight all kinds of infections. Its use is prevalent all over the world. It also helps improve your immune system
Quick link = Turmeric benefits
- Apply the juice of turmeric root on the affected area.
- Leave it on the skin for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with luke warm water.
- Repeat these steps twice a day to get rid of fungal infections.
You can also use turmeric in a drink if you do not want to use it directly on the skin.
- Boil a cup of milk.
- Add one table spoon of turmeric powder and stir.
- Add one tablespoon of honey.
- Drink this concoction every night before going to bed.
12. Olive Leaf
Olive leaf is well known for its antimicrobial properties. It has proved to be a successful treatment for fungal infections. You can either use olive leaf as a paste and apply it externally or use it to make tea.
- Grind olive leafs to make a paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected area.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and rinse.
- Dry the skin thoroughly to get rid of fungal skin infection using this method.
To make olive leaf tea, you need to steep a few crushed olive leafs in a cup of boiling water. Strain your tea and drink. This should help eliminate your fungal infection quickly and efficiently.
11. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is very well known for its skin benefits. It also contains antimicrobial and anti fungal properties. It helps soothe and calm the irritated fungus infested skin. Here is how you can use it to get rid of fungal infections.
Quick link = How to get rid of toenail fungus
- Take a small amount of coconut oil.
- Apply it on the affected area.
- Use your clean fingers to spread it in an even thin layer.
- Repeat this process twice daily.
You can use this treatment when you wake up in the morning and before going to bed.
“Several factors can cause a fungal infection but you only need a few to treat them. Here are 20 easy home remedies that will help you get rid of your fungal infection in no time.”
Iodine is a natural killer, it helps fight all infections. It is widely used over cuts and scrapes to prevent infections. It helps kill germs; therefore, it is an effective treatment against fungal infections.
Do not use Iodine if you have an autoimmune disorder; consult your doctor first and foremost.
- Add one drop of iodine (liquid iodine) to 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Mix the two together.
- Apply this oil blend on the affected area.
- Rinse after 15 minutes of application.
Be careful when applying this treatment, iodine stains clothes.
9. Lemongrass Oil
Lemongrass oil is another essential oil that has amazing health benefits. It is not as widely used as tea tree oil, but is quite effective against fungal infections due to its properties. Essential oils also help eliminate the bad odor that comes along with a fungal infection. Lemongrass oil has the same application as lavender oil to get rid of fungal skin infection.
- Mix up to 4 drops of lemongrass oil to 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Apply on the affected area twice a day.
Everyone loves drinking tea, but what many people do not know is that tea can be used to clear up fungal infections. Tea has various properties that help kill the growing fungi on the skin. It also helps in the healing process in all kinds of fungal infections.
- Place two or three tea bags in warm water for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags from the water and refrigerate them.
- Apply cold tea bags on the affected area.
- Repeat this process twice a day until the infection goes away.
7. Black Seed
Black Seed does not help clear the fungal infection directly. Instead, it helps improve your immune system. Black seed helps your immune system function ten times better.
Black Seed (Nigella Sativa) should be taken daily. Take 1 teaspoon of black seed daily for quick results.
6. Nail Polish
This is a quick home remedy to remove fungal infections that appear on nails. The use of nail polish or nail polish remover helps remove the fungal infection. The nail polish provides the fungi with a hostile environment and prevents its growth.
- Apply a thin layer of nail polish on the infected nails.
- Leave it on for a day.
- Remove the nail polish using a nail polish remover.
This quick treatment helps dry out the area.
The use of baby powder is helpful if you feel that an infection is about to start. Apply baby powder on your socks. This helps dry out the area and prevents any fungal infection that might be waiting to happen. It’s a really effective way to get rid of fungal skin infection.
Clove is another easy and quick home remedy. You can apply it either in a powder form or an oil form. Apply the clove oil or powder on the affected area for a few minutes daily. This should help start the healing process. It is equally effective in all kinds of fungal infections.
3. Diet Plan
You need to watch your diet when you have a fungal infection. There are some foods that you need to avoid. Eat foods that improve your immune system and help it function better.
Corn Syrup, cheese, acidic foods, chocolate, alcohol, coffee, junk food, spicy foods and sugar should be avoided. The intake of these foods strengthens the infection. Therefore, a lot of care should be taken.
2. Keep The Area Dry
It is of utmost importance that you keep the affected area dry. A wet environment will not only strengthen the infection but will also aid its growth.
Use a clean towel to dry of the affected area. Do not use the same towel on other parts of your skin. You can also use a hair dryer to avoid fungal skin infection.
1. Proper Cleansing
A good hygiene can do wonders. It is important that you practice cleanliness in all parts of your body, especially your feet. Feet are sometimes neglected by many people in the bath; they should be scrubbed thoroughly.
A good and clean environment will prevent all sorts of infections. It will also make you feel better. Remember that prevention is better than any treatment. Use a gentle exfoliator on your body every now and then to remove the dead skin cells. Your skin will feel clean and new.
- Practice good hygiene.
- Eat healthy foods that help boost your immune system.
- Use essential oils such as Tea Tree oil, Lavender Oil and Lemongrass Oil.
- Wear loose clothes.
- Keep the affected area dry.
- Use garlic and turmeric for their anti fungal properties.
- Don’t wear tight clothes
- Don’t wet the affected area.
- Don’t eat foods that are spicy and acidic.
- Don’t use any of these home remedies if you have an autoimmune disorder, consult your doctor.
- Don’t continue application if it irritates your infection.