Dry hair means bad hair days. Dry and damaged hair feels bad to the touch, and if untreated results in split ends and dandruff. You feel good when you look good. Hair contributes a lot to someone’s appearance, if you have dry and damaged hair chances are that you will suffer from low self-esteem and self-confidence.
Almost all products in the market aim to nourish the hair temporarily, and always damage them in the long run. It is better to resort to methods which will only benefit your hair, both in the long and short run. Home remedies are the perfect solution for your dry hair. Here are some easy home remedies for you to try if you have dry hair. They require only basic ingredients and give long lasting results.
“Store-bought conditioners are expensive, use natural conditioners on your hair for a long lasting effect. Here are 20 home remedies for dry hair that will make your hair feel smooth and healthy.”
20. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is nature’s gift to man. It has numerous benefits and absolutely no side effects. Coconut oil can be used for various things. It contributes greatly to the smoothness of both skin and hair when applied.
- Take a few tablespoons of coconut oil depending upon the length of your hair.
- You can either use this oil directly or warm it first.
- Generously coat your hair with the oil.
- Massage your scalp using your fingers in slow motions.
- Let the oil sit in your hair for 2 to 3 hours.
- Wash your hair with shampoo.
The oil can also be left in the hair overnight and washed in the morning. Your hair will feel soft and healthy after the application.
19. Olive Oil
Olive oil is also miracle oil. Its use ranges from the kitchen to the bathroom. It is widely used for cooking because of its various health benefits. Now, it can be used on your hair as well.
You can apply the olive oil directly on your scalp, the same way that coconut oil is applied, or you can apply it as a hair mask.
To make the hair mask, you will need to:
- Blend an egg and a few slices of cucumber in the blender.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Mix well and apply it on your hair.
- Leave the mask in your hair for an hour.
- Wash your hair using shampoo.
You can also use olive oil in conjunction with some other oil such as coconut oil.
Mayonnaise tastes great in burgers and sandwiches. It provides your hair with a wonderful smoothness that no store bought conditioner can achieve. Mayonnaise is packed with proteins; it adds a natural shine to your hair.
- Take the right amount of mayonnaise depending upon the length of your hair.
- Coat your hair with the mayonnaise.
- Let it sit in your hair for 30 minutes.
- Wash using shampoo.
You can also apply mayonnaise by combining it with 2 to 3 tablespoons of almond oil.
Eggs contain many proteins. They are a source of energy for the body and should be included in the diet. Eggs act as a natural conditioner; they nourish the hair from within leaving a healthy glow.
You can apply egg white directly to your hair or you can prepare a mask out of a few basic ingredients.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of yogurt to one egg.
- Beat the two ingredients until well combined.
- Add 2 tablespoons of mustard oil to the mixture.
- Mix and apply the mask on your hair for 30 min.
- Wash using shampoo.
Another easy and effective hair mask is:
- Combine 3 eggs with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Mix well until everything is combined.
- Apply it on your hair for 30 minutes and wash with shampoo.
Dry hair and avocados work well together. Avocado helps strengthen the hair and provide nourishment. It contains proteins and vitamins along with other minerals that are beneficial for the hair.
- Peel the avocado and mash the pulp.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the mashed pulp and mix.
- Apply this mixture on your hair for 30 minutes.
- Shampoo using lukewarm water.
Another hair mask is made by combining mashed avocado with mayonnaise. Both hair masks work well to treat dry hair.
Bananas are an amazing fruit. They contain high quantities of potassium, antioxidants, vitamins and moisture that nourish dry and damaged hair. Bananas help in providing strength and elasticity to your hair.
You can mash one banana and apply it on your hair or you can use it to make a mask.
- Mash 2 peeled bananas with a fork.
- Add one tablespoon of coconut oil and honey.
- Mix well and apply on your hair for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Wash your hair with shampoo.
Honey is God sent. It tastes great and it works wonders for your health, skin and hair. It is a prominent ingredient in many face masks along with hair masks. It nourishes your hair and provides it with a natural shine.
- Mix 2 to 3 tablespoons of honey with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Mix both the ingredients well and form a paste.
- Apply this paste on your hair strands for 20 minutes.
- Wash your hair.
You will be left with soft and smooth looking hair.
13. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is used as a natural moisturizer. It has a lot of beneficial properties for both the hair and skin. Many commercial skin care products use aloe vera as their main ingredient.
- Take out the gel from the plant.
- Add two tablespoons of aloe vera gel with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Mix the two ingredients and form a paste.
- You can also add 2 tablespoons of yogurt to the paste.
- Apply the paste to your hair and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Wash your hair.
Aloe vera juice can also be applied directly on the hair without combining it with any other ingredient. Wash it after 10 minutes and run your hands through your smooth and soft hair.
12. Argan Oil
Argan oil is the rage these days. Many companies have started selling their own brand of argan oil. It is widely known for its valuable hair strengthening properties.
- Take a few tablespoons of argan oil depending on the length of your hair.
- Coat your hair with this oil and massage your scalp.
- Leave the oil in your hair for 2 hours.
- Wash out the oil with shampoo.
Continuous application of argan oil will help maintain your smooth hair and prevent it from getting dry and damaged.
Yogurt conditions the hair. It helps in curing split ends and prevents the hair from turning dry and dull. Yogurt can be applied alone by itself on the hair for 30 minutes or it can be made into a mask.
To make the mask you will need to:
- Mix half a cup of yogurt with 1tablespoon of honey.
- Mix well and apply it on your hair.
- Coat your hair from your roots to your tips.
- Wash with lukewarm water.
“If you have dry and damaged hair you should use home remedies to treat them.Using home remedies has numerous benefits and absolutely no harm”
10. Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter is a natural conditioner. It protects the hair from harm and helps cure its dryness.
- Mix raw cocoa butter with 1 ounce of sweet almond oil and 2 ounces of jojoba oil.
- Combine the three components well.
- Apply it to the hair.
- Wash after few minutes of application.
Pumpkin is packed with vitamins and minerals. It aids in hair growth and provides the hair with nourishment.
To make a pumpkin mask you will need pumpkin and yogurt.
- Boil a quarter of the pumpkin.
- Mash the boiled pumpkin into a paste.
- Add 3 tablespoons of yogurt and mix well.
- Apply this hair mask for 20 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
Milk is used on the hair in many regions. It contains many minerals and proteins that are needed by the hair. Run milk through your hair when in the shower and massage your scalp. Wash your hair with shampoo after 5 minutes.
Your hair should feel smooth after the application.
Beer helps condition the hair. It can be used instead of a conditioner as well. Pour in some beer in a spray bottle and use it to spray beer on your hair after the shower. Leave it in for a few minutes and use blow dry.
Your hair should feel soft and smooth.
6. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is the perfect solution for dull and dry hair. If your hair lacks moisture and your scalp feels itchy, lemon juice is your new best friend.
- Apply lemon juice to your washed hair.
- Only apply 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, not more than that.
- Pat your hair dry using a towel.
5. Almond Oil
Almond oil is oil that contributes greatly to dry and damaged hair. Apply almond oil to your hair and massage it on your scalp. Leave it in your hair for 30 minutes. The amount of oil you use dependsupon the length of your hair. Wash your hair using a mild shampoo.
4. Wash With Clean Water
The water you wash your hair with contributes greatly to its health. A lot of the times the cause of all your hair problems is the water you use in the shower. Get your water tested and make sure that it does not contain any harmful contents. You should use clean and pure water in the shower to prevent your body and your hair from harm.
3. Watch Your Diet
You might have heard the saying – You are what you eat. That is very true. All that you put inside your body contributes to your health. If you have a high intake of junk food and a low intake of healthy food, your hair, body and skin are going to suffer. Before applying hair masks and natural conditioners to your hair, you should try to strengthen your hair from within.
Eat healthy meals and increase the intake of fruits and vegetables. Once you change your diet, you will start seeing its benefits and will never go back to your old ways.
2. Shampoo Every Other Day
Shampoo helps clean the hair. It helps wash out all the dirt and provides your hair with a clean and fresh feel. It also contributes greatly to volume and presents your hair with a nice smell. But shampoo should not be used daily.
Many people make the mistake of shampooing their hair daily. This damages the hair and strips the hair off of its natural oils. Try shampooing your hair on alternate days instead of everyday. Once you make this change, you feel a huge difference.
1. Skip The Styling Tools
Almost all styling products use heat and heat is one of the biggest causes for dry, dull and damaged hair.
Try using styling products only on special occasions. Do not use heat on your hair every day. Let your hair air dry instead of using a hair dryer. You will see your hair start getting better once you skip the styling products or limit their use.
Also try to steer away from gels and mousse.
- Wash your hair on alternate days.
- Wash your hair with clean water.
- Maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
- Use olive oil, coconut oil and almond oil.
- Use natural conditioners on your hair.
- Use less styling products on your hair.
- Wash your hair with cold or lukewarm water.
- Don’t wash your hair every day.
- Don’t indulge in junk food all throughout the day.
- Don’t use styling products that use heat.
- Don’t use a strong shampoo that contains many chemicals.
- Avoid washing your hair with hot water.
- Don’t brush your hair while your hair is wet.