Diverticular Disease and Diverticulitis are digestive conditions that threaten the large intestine (colon). When small pockets are formed on the lining of the large intestine – the disease diverticular occurs. When these pockets are inflamed and infected then the condition is referred to as diverticulitis.
An individual can be diagnosed with diverticular disease by the occurrence of the following symptoms:
- Abdominal pain occurs. This is usually at the right side of the abdomen.
- The individual feels bloated.
- There are changes in the pattern of the bowel movement.
When the patients do not have symptoms of diverticula; then the condition is referred to as diverticulosis. If initial occurrence is not identified, they condition may persist to take a severe form that should be immediately tackled with.
The symptoms of diverticulitis are as follow:
- There is the occurrence of severe abdominal pain occurring on the left side.
- The body temperature of the individual elevates to 38C or more.
- The bowel movements would be irregular accompanied by the unpleasant state of diarrhea.
With the advancement of time, many remedies to diseases have been sought that are simple and easy in approach. It only requires a little time and energy on your part, but are sure to bring the desired positive results.
“Illnesses and diseases are a part of our lives. They come and go. Some are more severe in form than others are. It is always wise to react immediately to any disease, in order to reduce the chances of it taking a worse form.”
Top 28 Remedies for Diverticular Disease and Diverticulitis
The bright juicy yellow fruit (lemon) does not only taste good but also possesses an array of benefits. Due to large amounts of Vitamin C stored in it, it is capable of flushing harmful toxins out of the body. You can say lemons exhibit inhospitable attitude towards the toxin trying to inhabit the intestinal lining. It is also good for the immune system that’s why expert suggest to include lemons in diverticulitis diet.
Quick link = Benefits of lemon water
Preparation of this amazing DIY lemon drink remedy is very simple
It’s fast and very easy.
- Squeeze one lemon into a glass of water.
- Make sure the water is Luke-warm.
- An elevated temperature would make it more effective.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Pour the golden syrup (honey) on top.
It is recommended to drink one glass a day; early in the morning with an empty stomach. This drink would also revitalize you from inside out – a great way to begin your day!
27. Avoid Extremely Hot Or Cold Drinks
It is best if extremely hot and cold drinks are avoided. This is because such drinks are more likely to produce gas.
Oranges also contain large amounts of Vitamin C. They have an anti-inflammatory action. It also helps boost the immune system. So make sure to eat oranges regularly if you’re feeling diverticulitis symptoms.
- Orange juice could be easily prepared. Make sure you drink the pulp too.
- Vitamin C supplements could also be taken as prescribed by your doctor – the dosage of which usually is 3000 to 8000 mg daily in divided doses.
Antibiotics are not only found packed up in boxes in a pharmacy but are available to us naturally as well. Ginger is an antibiotic made by nature. It aids in the process of digestion and dramatically reduces any swelling and irritation in the gastric canal which makes it an important diverticulitis treatment.
- Remove the white transparent skin of the garlic clove and mash it.
- Take it three times a day.
- It could also be added into our daily meals. Along with a great aroma and taste, it would provide you with health benefits as well.
- It could also be substituted with garlic supplements. In that case two garlic capsules are to be taken thrice a day. Recommend a doctor before its usage.
Garlic is also very useful in curing:
24. Flax Seeds
Flax seeds are very useful in the treatment of diverticular disease. It acts as a natural laxative. This means it softens the stool – making its passage along the tract easy and fast. Flax seeds also reduce inflammation. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids that play an effective role in dealing with this disease. To make it a part of healthy diverticulitis diet, do this:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of ground flax seeds in a glass of water at room temperature.
- It could also be added on top of cereals or yogurts.
Due to bromelain present in pineapples, it is used for treating indigestion. It also has an anti-inflammatory action.
- It is recommended to eat 4 to 5 pineapple slices between meals.
Chamomile is also a very good remedy for this disease. It is responsible for stimulating the digestive system.
Note: It should not be taken by those who are pregnant or who are taking birth control pills or any medicine for thinning the blood.
- Add three teaspoons of chamomile into a cup of boiling water and steep it for 5 minutes.
- Add honey, strain and drink.
- It’s best effective if consumed thrice a day if you’re feeling diverticulitis symptoms.
Ginger is useful in diverticular disease and diverticulitis. It gives soothing effect to the intestines. Cramping, nausea and intestinal gas – associated with this problem can be dramatically relieved by the consumption of ginger. It also ensures the removal of harmful bacteria that may also be trying to camp in the intestinal walls of the body. As a result the risk of diverticulitis is reduced.
Quick link = Benefits of ginger
- Cut a small cube of ginger of about two- inch into long slices.
- Place it in a pan of warm water.
- Leave it to simmer for 10 minutes on low heat with the lid on.
- Strain the mixture and drink away.
It is best to drink it three times a day, preferably before your meals. As an alternative you can also take ginger supplements. 2000mg of such capsules are recommended to be taken thrice a day. Consult your doctor before taking the supplements.
20. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
This is mostly found in fish oil. It plays a role in lessening the inflammation. They also protect the cells of the intestinal wall. Lymphatic system is also improved as a result of omega-3 consumption.
- Omega-3 supplements could also be taken, only on the advice of your doctor. Usually 100 mg capsules are recommended to be taken thrice a day.
Fiber helps a lot in helping with this condition. It keeps the stool bulky and lubricated so that its movement along the digestive tract is easy and fast. As a result constipation could be avoided. Food also does not get trapped in pouches formed as a result of diverticular disease. Food stuck in pouches can be a cause of infection hence such a situation must be avoided.
Sources of fiber:
- ground linseeds
18. Slippery Elm
Slipper elm is also very useful in warding off the symptoms of diverticular disease and diverticulitis. Due to high mucilage content present in the elm, the digestive tract is protected, soothed and also healed. Bowel movements are also regulated. The soluble fiber contained in elm also prevents the individual from constipation. This is because it provides sufficient bulk to the stools, for its convenient passage along the tract. So it suggests that slipper elm is a very effective diverticulitis treatment.
“Home remedies are persistent since a very long time. Nature provides us with uncountable Blessings; then why not uses them in an effective manner. The above said methods are sure to bring improvement in your condition in a matter of few months or even weeks in certain cases. Be sure to continue them without bringing a gap in between. Also,do not lose hope if you do not get immediate results, because in some cases it is a time consuming process.”
17. Alkaline Drinks
Inflammation is caused as a result of hyper acidity. In order to change the pH level of the body or for lowering the body acidity, alkaline drinks could be consumed. So make sure to include these healthy drinks in your diverticulitis diet.
Theses may include:
- herbal tea
- green drinks
- almond milk
- pure water
- soy milk
- vegetable broth
There are also a variety of alkaline foods that could also be consumed.
Marshmallow is helpful in dealing with diverticular disease and diverticulitis symptoms. It promotes healthy bowel movements. Inflammation along the digestive tract is also soothed due to its consumption. However it should be avoided if one is suffering from diabetes.
Probiotics are healthy bacteria that aid in the digestive process. They also maintain the health of the intestines. Take prescribed amounts by your doctor.
14. Wild Yam
Wild yams are also used to reduce inflammation caused as a result of diverticulitis. They also help in maintaining hormones of the body.
This leguminous plant is a very successful remedy for diverticular disease and diverticulitis. It provides the body with vitamin K; which the body is mostly deprived from during digestive disorders. High amounts of chlorophyll packets are stored in them – making it a detoxifying and a healing agent. All these benefits make it a very effective diverticulitis treatment.
It has an anti-inflammatory action. The inflammation caused in the gastrointestinal tract is drastically reduced as a result of this. It also aids in the softening of the stool by adding bulk to the matter. So make sure to include it as an important part of healthy diverticulitis diet.
- Add licorice root powder (half a tea spoon) to a cup of water. Boil the resulting mixture for a few minutes. Drink it two to three times a day.
- You can also use licorice capsules as prescribed by your doctor.
People having heart and kidney problems, high blood pressure and hypokalemia should take the dosage under the supervision of a doctor in order to avoid adverse effects.
Prunes are a successful remedy for constipation. You can eat plenty of prunes during the day or prepare a prune juice. However, stop immediately if diarrhea occurs.
Peppermint is very useful as it promotes digestive comfort due to the hidden ingredients present inside it. Peppermint tea could easily be made.
9. Aloe Vera
It’s a plant whose advantages are more than one can imagine. It is very good for constipation as it acts a lubricating agent to the stools. It also heals, soothes and cleanses the digestive system. Make sure to use Aloe Vera if you’re feeling diverticulitis symptoms.
8. Exercise Regularly
Exercise is a key to the cure and prevention of many illnesses. One can easily devote an hour of every day to this purpose. This would promote regular bowel movements. The pressure inside the colon would also be reduced as a result. It means exercise is an important part of diverticulitis treatment.
“This article would surely have relieved you as it brings instant solution to diverticular disease and diverticulitis.”
7. Drink Plenty Of Water
Water is essential. Apart from uncountable advantages attached to its consumption, it also helps in the removal of toxins and other harmful substances from the body. Proper water intake is an important part of diverticulitis diet. More elimination of such substances gives less opportunity to the germs to cause any harm inside the body and reduce the chances of diverticulitis.
6. Avoid Alcohol
The symptoms of diverticulitis and diverticular are aggravated by alcohol. It could cause bleeding of the intestinal wall, making the condition worse than it may already be. The normal functionality of the bowel is also disrupted. Increased abdominal pain and discomfort would also occur. Such results would be erupted even if you are following a healthy diet plan and taking proper timely medication. Thus, it is best if alcohol of all forms is avoided.
5. Avoid Tea And Coffee
Tea and coffee should be avoided as they promote abdominal discomfort. If very hard to be controlled, then one should not take more than one cup of it per day. So make sure to control your tea intake if you’re feeling diverticulitis symptoms.
4. Avoid Fruits With Large Number Of Tiny Seeds
Fruits that contain tiny seeds in large amounts within them should also be avoided. These would include passion fruit, grapes, pomegranate, tomatoes, figs and gooseberries.
3. Reduce Animal Protein
Animal protein is difficult to be broken down. It may cause inflammation in the gut and increased risk to infection occurs.
2. Reduce Wheat And Bran
Prevention is an essential part of diverticulitis treatment. Wheat and bran can easily be trapped in the pouches formed by diverticular diseases. Food encaged in such pouches, paves way for infection. Wheat bran causes a lot of irritation to the digestive tract. Oats and brown rice are okay since it poses no harm.
1. Avoid Too Many Eggs And Dairy Products
Eggs and other dairy products are bad for two main reasons:
- First is that it increases the amount of cholesterol and fat deposition in the body.
- Second, calcium increases constipation – a condition that would only worsen diverticular disease and diverticulitis.
- Take the prescribed amount of the remedy.
- Continue with the remedies in a continuous pattern.
- Do not use dietary supplements without the supervision of a doctor.
- Do not continue with any remedy if it gives you an allergic reaction.