The problem of chapped lips is also known as Cheilitis which is basically the inflammation of lips. This type of inflammation may include a problem in the perioral skin that is the skin present outside the mouth, the labial mucosa or the vermilion border. Usually, the skin around the vermilion border is involved in inflammation and labial mucosa is less affected by allergic and inflammatory reactions.
Chapped and cracked lips are commonly termed as dry lips by most of the people. Lip chapping can be caused by many factors such as excessive biting and licking, extreme dry weather or intake of certain medicines that may harm your lips.
When it comes to how to get rid of chapped lips, it can be cured following a simple treatment and other effective preventive measures. But if you feel your lips are severely dry and cracked, it is better to consult a specialist as soon as possible. There are some common symptoms that may show the appearance of cracked lips.
In all these situations, we have to consider that actually cause the problem of cracked lips. Lips usually don’t contain oil glands like many other parts of the skin. Because of this the lips are more prone to dryness and form cracks very quickly. Like of hydration and moisture in the skin can also cause the problem severe and worse whether it is because of weather conditions or just lack of your skin care attention. Excess dryness and lack of humidity during winters usually causes chapped lips or excess sun exposure can also cause this problem.
The problem of chapped lips is not limited to any age and gender. People from all age groups whether young or old can face this problem, particularly if they carry dry skin. Taking certain medications can also increase the severe risks of having dry lips, also including:
- Retinoids (Retin-A, Differin)
- Vitamin A.
- Chemotherapy medications.
- Lithium ( A medication used to treat depression)
People suffering from malnutrition and dehydration are most likely to develop the problem of dry and chapped lips as compared to other patients. These both are very serious medical situations that must be treated on the immediate basis.
Sometimes severe dryness and cracking appears that are not treatable at home will let you see a dermatologist. Cheilitis is known as the severe case of chapped lips. This is usually the appearance of cracks and cuts on the corners of the mouth, along with some deep and severe cracks on the lips. If you see this type of condition, your lips usually:
- Have a lumpy thick texture.
- Be red in color.
- Have ulcer.
- Have white plaques on the surface of the lips.
Cheilitis which is the severe case of chapped lips is commonly attributed as inflammatory and infectious diseases, mostly chronic in nature. Dental accidents and excess development of saliva may also convert a regular case of chapped lips into Cheilitis which is most common in people of age 49 and above.
Chapped lips can be easily treated at home with little attention and care. There are some amazing natural home remedies for chapped lips you can use. You have to make sure that your lips are hydrated and still caring some moisture, which can also be accomplished by:
- Drinking more fresh water everyday.
- Applying lip balm, Chapstick or Vaseline on lips everyday.
- Using a humidifier at home.
- Avoid extreme cold weather and covering your face when needed.
Too much sun exposure can also cause chapped lips, especially at later years of age. Apply a lip balm that has sun protection agents such as SPF 15 or 30 before heading outdoors. The balm helps to moisture your lips and provides necessary water content while sunscreen minimizes the cause of having dry lips. Other than all this we have also gathered a few home remedies that will help you to retain moisturized and soft lips. Then follow these tips and say bye bye to dry and cracked lips.
15. Almond Oil
Learn how to get rid of chapped lips using almond oil. Almond oil is form of sticky oil that is extracted from the almond seeds which is loaded with proteins, vitamin B and E along with many essential minerals and health beneficial fats that can show some wonder on your lips. The riboflavin that is one of a kind of vitamin B2 is lavishly present in this oil will help to retain the moisture of the lips and wherever you apply it on the dry skin or lips. It also protects your lips from excess skin exposure because of its sunscreen properties. Almond oil contains some emollient properties that purifies your dry skin and rejuvenates the softness on your lips locking up important moisture.
- Take a few drops of almond oil on your finger.
- Apply on your dry lips and gently rub with your index finger.
- Repeat this procedure thrice daily until your lips are properly cured.
14. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains an amazing chain of fatty acids that the skin can absorb easily, including lips. This oil has some excellent emollient properties that soften your upper layer of your lips and keeps them hydrated and moisturized for a longer period of time. There is another one factor that makes this oil amazing is the vitamin E content and antioxidants that give a complete care and health to hydrate lips for a longer time. All these benefits make it an amazing chapped lips remedy.
- You just need to take a few drops of coconut oil on your index finger.
- Gently rub it over your lips whenever you feel them dry and chapped.
- Also use this oil regularly especially before a goodnight sleep.
13. Olive Oil Balm
I you want to know how to get rid of chapped lips, just use this olive oil treatment. Like many other healthy oils, olive oil also contains some healthy fats that can lock the moisture of your lips as well as skin in no time. It is also a good source of vitamin E that is an excellent nutrition for your skin. Due to its amazing anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, olive oil makes a very good home remedy for chapped and dry lips. You can make it further effective by adding coconut oil and honey to it, just to make an excellent hydrating lip balm.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon of olive oil with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Add 3/4 tablespoon of honey and stir well.
- This will be enough for your whole day use.
- Apply it gently on your lips and save it in an airtight jar.
- Use this balm for few days until your lips are softening.
12. Sea Salt Scrub
When your lips are dry and they begin to crack and flaky which is not a good sign, you just have to take some extra care and using a sea salt scrub can be the best solution for the time. You just need to exfoliate your lips by applying an amazing sea salt scrub. It eliminates the dead skin from the lips so that you may get soft smooth shining lips. While you can always try rubbing your lips with a damp soft cloth or a soft brush, it is always effective and beneficial to use a scrubby lip balm. Sea salt is one amazing ingredient that contains some minerals which help to sooth and heal your sore lips. Let us see how we can make an effective sea salt scrub at home. Follow these suggestions for a quick chapped lips remedy.
- Take 1 tablespoon coconut oil and 1 tablespoon sea salt.
- Mix them together and stir well.
- Dab it on the cracked lips and rub gently.
- Do this for some time until your lips become soft and manageable.
- Now wash your lips and dry them.
- Apple a moisturizing for further effectiveness.
Note: Do not over do scrub as this may further dry your lips.
11. Mango Butter
It is one of the best home remedies for chapped lips you can use. Mango butter or mango oil is one of the main ingredients in many of the lip balms available worldwide. The unique combination of fatty acids with mango butter and its nutrients like vitamin A and E can show some wonders on the lips. Its antioxidant feature will flush out all the bacteria and toxins fro the lips that may be causing the severe dryness. Mango butter is extracted from the mango kernels and is extensively used worldwide in many skin products, soaps and creams. The feel of mango butter is similar to shea and cocoa butter and effectiveness is almost similar, but it differs in fatty acids that make it more effective and an excellent emollient.
- Take some mango butter on your finger.
- Apply all around your lips just by gently rubbing.
- Used it 2-3 times a dry or whenever you feel the dryness on your lips.
10. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera is the best natural remedy if you want to know how to get rid of chapped lips. If your daily routine is to stay for most hours out in dry and harsh weather conditions, you may think of using aloe vera gel for chapped lips just because of its hygroscopic properties. This property of aloe vera gel helps to seal moisture and water molecules inside the cracked lips. That is why when you will apply aloe vera gel on your dry lips, it will make them absorb moisture will make them soft.
- Split and open a piece of aloe vera leaf and take out some fresh gel.
- Apply this on your lips and keep it for some time.
- Wash it away and pat dry your lips.
- You can also mix some aloe vera gel with coconut oil to form a lip balm and that can be extra effective.
9. Rose Hip Seed
Rose hip seed oil is one of the popular anti-aging essential oil that will help in producing elastin and collagen that makes your skin soft and supple. Whenever you apply this oil on your dry lips, it not only makes your lips soft but gives them a soft pink color by producing fresh skin cells. It also removes scars and protects your lips from harmful sun rays. Use this simple chapped lips remedy if you for a quick healing.
- Take 1-2 drops of rose hip seed oil and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Mix them well together.
- Apply this many times a day for complete care.
- You may also apply it is a night balm.
- Instead of coconut oil, you may also use other essential oil such as almond r olive oil.
8. Rose Petals
Rose is one of the oldest ingredients that have been extensively used for skin care or to increase the beauty of skin even more. It is a herb that is suitable for all skin types, especially for aged and dry skin. Rose petals carry some especial oils that can lock moisture in your skin giving it softness and preventing dry and chapped lips. Natural astringent agents are present in rose petals that give a toning effect to the skin, making it softer and moisturized. It also reduces inflammation and redness on the skin caused by extreme sun exposure. All these benefits make it one of the best home remedies for chapped lips.
- Take a handful of rose petals and soak them in milk for few hours.
- Blend all this together to form a thick paste.
- Apply it on your lips.
- Leave for 5-10 minutes and was it thoroughly.
- Repeat 2-3 times a day for best results.
Note: If you are allergic to dairy products and cannot use them, just replace it with some honey.
7. Sugar scrub
Learn how to get rid of chapped lips using this simple remedy. Sugar, when consumed can be harmful for your health as it helps to gain weight but when applied on skin can show some effective wonders. It will give you soft smoothness that will make you touch and feel your skin instantly because sugar is one of the natural humectant. It takes moisture from the surrounding and helps to hydrate the area of the skin where it is applied. It also locks the moisture into the skin making it soft and pink.
- Take 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 teaspoons honey and some warm water.
- Mix together honey and sugar.
- Apply it on your lips and scrub it gently.
- Leave it for few minutes and wash it with warm water.
- You can also add some essential oil for extra moisturization and care.
6. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil is known chapped lips remedy that is recommended by experts. One of the awkward remedy is to apply mustard oil or clarified ghee on to the navel to get rid of many health and skin problems. It is a very old custom and medication practiced in India. It is the navel through which all the nutrients pass and the rest body receives, especially in small children. Mustard oil has some good Omega Alpha -3 and 6 fatty acids that works as antioxidants and helps to reduce dryness of the lips and repairs the cracks by moisturizing them.
- Take some mustard oil and apply it on your navel.
- Gently rub it and keep it on the spot for some time.
- This will transfer all the nutrients present in the mustard oil to the skin, making it sift and hydrated.
In these home remedies for chapped lips, cucumber is at the top of the list. Another very simple and effective solution for dry and chapped lips is to use cucumber regularly. Cucumber has excessive water content that will help to hydrate and moisture cracked lips. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties will help reduce redness and itchiness of the lips. It will also prevent your lips from being dark and flaky.
- Take a slice of cucumber and gently rub it all over your dry lips.
- Apply in a way so that its juice covers all the chaps and cracks.
- Keep it for about 5-10 minutes and then wash it with water.
- Do this several times to hydrate the lips.
4. Petroleum Jelly
Petroleum jelly is very popular in curing the problem of chapped lips. It is easily available in the market and is commonly available in many homes. Because of its oil based properties it has an effective result on dry skin. Its application is easy and it leaves the skin hydrated for a long time. You can use this chapped lips remedy any time if you don’t have any other natural ingredients.
- Simply apply some petroleum jelly to your dry and cracked lips several times a day to keep them soft and moisturized.
- Reapply it before bedtime to keep them hydrated for the whole night.
- You can also put a layer of honey onto your lips and then apply some petroleum jelly for some extra effectiveness.
Dehydration can be the main reason behind dry and chapped lips. It is the water that keeps you hydrated in summers throughout the day, feeling you better and fresh. To keep your skin twinkling, fresh and happy, you need to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water per day, this keep you hydrated and you will experience fewer skin problems. Also, water helps flushing out harmful toxins out of the body, keeping your skin soft and glowing.
Honey is one of the great moisturizers that helps heal and hydrate your chapped and dry lips. Its antibacterial properties work amazing and help in the treatment of chapped lips. It has also some excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce dryness and redness from the lips.
- Take some organic honey and apply it instantly on your dry lips.
- Make a routine to apply it several times a day.
- You can also make a paste of honey and glycerin and apply it before a goodnight sleep.
1. Milk Cream
Milk cream carries some high quantity of fat that makes it a natural and most amazing lip moisturizer. This is the form of a cream that usually appears at the top of the milk when we boil it. You can keep it aside for your skin caring routines.
- Take some fresh milk cream and apply it on your lips.
- Keep it for 10 minutes and remove it gently with a cotton ball.
- Repeat it everyday to help heal your lips faster.
Useful Tips And Tricks
- With the using of these amazing home remedies, always remember to drink loads of water to keep your skin and body hydrated for a longer period of time. This will cure the dryness and will make chapped lips softer.
- Sometimes lack of vitamin A can also cause dry lips. For that eat rich vitamin A foods such as carrots, tomatoes, leafy vegetables, whole grains, etc, just to fight the dryness of the skin.
- If your are crazy about applying lipstick for the whole day, keep it in mind to apply creamy and moisturizing lip creams rather than putting dry and matte lipsticks. Try to apply lip gloss that can save your lips from drying.
- Avoid licking your lips with your tongue, as this may make your lips dark and dry.
- Always eat healthy, drink lots of water and stay happy.