Arthritis is a disease that is directly related to the joints and bones of your complete body. It is a typical pain, aching, swelling and stiffness in and out of one or more of your joints. It is characterized as one of the rheumatic conditions that may turn severe if not taken care of. There can be a sudden or gradual turn in the symptoms so always take complete care of yourself. This rheumatic condition may also involve the disturbance of the immune system and functionality issues of internal organs of the body.
Some serious forms of arthritis like rheumatoid arthritis and lupus arthritis can affect the functionality of many multiple internal organs and can cause some extensive symptoms. It is the most common disease among the people aged 65 and above. But arthritis is not limited to senior citizens; people of all ages including children can also be affected by this disease.
There are basically two kinds of arthritis, osteo and rheumatoid. These both affect the joints of the body in different ways. Osteo is a form of arthritis where the cartilage in the joints wears out, until the two bones grate on each other. Rheumatoid is just a quick form of arthritis which happens due to the autoimmune disorder of the bones causing inflammation, swelling and can cause bone loss. There are almost 100 types of arthritis and all of them have different treatments and methods. Osteo arthritis can be hereditary if you have some old family history of having this disease.
The most common signs of arthritis are joint pain, swelling, stiffness, mostly whenever you get up in the morning. If you are having this disease you may also experience a problem in the movement of joints, along with redness on the skin that is around the joints. In rheumatoid arthritis another symptom that worries are a tired body and loss of appetite. It is all because of the inflammation your body dares and disturbs the immune system. This may cause anemia or can experience slight fever. If this disease is left untreated it may cause joint deformation.
We can try treating painful arthritis at home. The main goal is to get rid of the pain you are bearing in your joints and prevent any sort of severe consequences. There are certain home remedies that may work well on your bones and joints and will give a fresh air of relief. Stay tuned as we will discuss a number of helpful home remedies for your convenience.
20. Pectin And Grape Juice
Pectin is one of the useful carbohydrate substances that is found in the cell walls of plants and is water soluble. This substance helps to keep the cell walls together and gives a complete firmness when the fruit ripes. It is taken out as a substance and mostly used like a gelatin for setting purposes in jams and jellies. It has become way popular as one of the amazing home remedies for arthritis when combined with some grape juice. When this mixture is taken it makes the synovial tissues more lubricated and elastic, which helps in proper movement and reduced pain.
Pectin helps to return connective tissues and reduces the pain and inflammation in the joints. Thus more studies on this substance are required for some more outstanding results. Grape juice is an optional choice as it reduces the inflammation. This treatment is equally beneficial for rheumatoid arthritis. The method for this treatment is quite simple.
- Liquid pectin – 1 tablespoon.
- Grape juice – 8 oz.
- Mix both the ingredients and drink it 1-2 times daily.
- You can keep the mixture in a jar and refrigerate it for few days.
- The results will appear in a week or so.
19. Golden Raisins And Gin
It is never recommended that if you have arthritis, you go to a bar and have Gin. It is one of the ingredients in the treatment that will help you to reduce the pain in arthritis. This is one of the old and interesting home remedies that really work out to ease arthritis symptoms. Juniper berries have some serious anti-inflammatory properties and Gin is basically derived from these gorgeous berries. Golden raisins contain sulfide which are helpful in the treatment of arthritis. These sulfides are easily found in both chondroitin and glucosamine. This remedy is almost two decade old and many people have sworn the success of this home treatment.
- Gin – 1/2 cup.
- Golden Raisins – 1 cup.
- Shallow dish.
It all depends upon the amount of raisins you are going to use for the treatment and you need Gin just to cover them up. The prescribed amount of raisins is to just give you a rough idea that how the treatment will work. Fill the dish with one cup of raisins and pour in enough Gin to completely cover the golden raisins. Cover this mixture with a towel and store it for about two weeks in a dark place or until the gin has evaporated. Make a routine to eat 9 raisins daily but keep one thing in mind the results will take at least a week to show up.
Note: Only golden raisins are recommended, no other type of raisins will work for this treatment.
18. Peppermint And Eucalyptus Oil
Peppermint and eucalyptus both are know for their medical reasons and soothing intense fragrance. Its mixture itself doesn’t change the problem of arthritis but they do have some pain relieving and analgesic properties. They basically form a cooling sensation that can temporarily heal the pain and discomfort of joints. The effect of both the oils is quick and you may feel a sudden relief from the drastic pain in your joints. The method to follow this arthritis treatment is quite easily and must be followed by these simple steps.
- Peppermint oil – 10 drops.
- Eucalyptus oil – 10 drops.
- Carrier oil (Almond or olive oil) – 2 tablespoons.
- Dark colored glass bottle.
- Mix together both the oils and then mix in 2 tablespoons of carrier oil.
- It’s up to your choice which kind of carrier oil you like almond or olive. The requirement of carrier oil is to reduce any type of irritation on skin that may happen because of the essential oils.
- Store the mixture in a dark colored glass bottle away from intense direct sunlight.
- Keep it few days and then apply it on to your joints.
- Try rubbing your joints two times daily and feel the instant result.
Exercise is one effective remedy to get rid of any sorts of pain and discomfort. Whenever you feel pain and it is difficult to move, the very last thing that comes in your mind is to jump up and start exercising. Though jumping up for an arthritis patient is not at all easy and it sound quite unpleasant. Exercise is very important for the ones having arthritis issues such as stiffness or joint pain. This technique will help then to reduce their weight if they have obesity issues and will strengthen their muscles which will support their joints. This also allows lubricating the joints together and thickening of the cartilage, hence improves their movement. The synovial gel in our joints becomes thick whenever we are inactive but it starts lubricating and becomes more viscous the time we starts exercising. It is suggested to use this treatment to further avoid rheumatoid arthritis. So the best remedy is to exercise on daily basis even for few minutes to get rid of this trouble making disease. For your daily routine try out these simple jerks.
- A brisk walk for about 15 minutes daily in fresh air.
- Joint-target exercises that will help you to relief pain, swelling and stiffness of joints.
- If you are sitting try to keep your legs and arms moving in forward direction after some intervals.
16. White Willow Tea
A long way before aspirin, the Greek physiology has details of white willow bark, way back in 5th century BC. But in the 18th century it was completely discovered that white willow contained an active agent called salicin that was extremely effective. When white willow is taken it is converted into salicylic acid which is similar to acetyl salicin acid, the main and active ingredient in aspirin. The time this ingredient passed through the stomach, it caused less irritation and very low side effects. It is both available in capsule and tea bag version. To benefit from this wonderful tea to ease arthritis symptoms, just go through the following steps.
- Chipped or powdered white willow bark – 2 teaspoons.
- Water – 1 cup.
- Boil 1 cup water and then reduce the heat.
- Add 2 teaspoons of white willow tea and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it rest for few minutes.
- Add honey or lemon for flavor.
- Drink this tea twice daily.
NOTE: The tea is a bit bitter; you can have it like this or can add some flavors.
15. Cayenne Ointment
Capsaicin is commonly available in many OTC pain relievers. This component is actually hot peppers that restrain something called Substance P. This substance P transmits deep pain signals to your brain and when the capsaicin interacts with this, it will minimize the discomfort alerts and therefore a great relief will be on your way. This is one of the best and effective remedies for arthritis treatment which is used externally. An effective cayenne ointment can be made at home very easily . This method is just temporary and must be used carefully.
- Cayenne powder – 3 tablespoons.
- Grapeseed oil – 1 cup.
- Grated beeswax – 1/2 cup.
- Double boiler.
- Airtight glass jar.
- Mix cayenne powder with 1 cup of oil and heat them in a double boiler.
- Boil it for 5-10 minutes over low flame.
- Now add 1/2 cup beeswax and stir constantly until it is dissolved completely.
- Cool down the mixture and refrigerate it for 10 minutes.
- Transfer it in an airtight jar and keep it in a refrigerator.
- Apply whenever you feel the pain in your joints.
14. Boswellia Supplements
Boswellia which is also known as frankincense is a native flowering plant from Africa and Asia. It is a gum like extract that is a very good anti-inflammatory agent and an excellent pain-killer. As an anti-inflammatory agent it disables the white blood cells that causes swelling, pain and also helps in shrinking the tissues that are inflamed and very painful. Boswellia supplement is usually taken in a tablet form like vitamins, but there is a tea recipe that can be taken for the relief. Boswellia is easily available in the market and can be taken daily for the relief of joint pain.
- Boswellia tea – 2 teaspoons.
- Water – 1 cup.
- Boil water and then reduce the heat.
- Add Boswellia tea and simmer for few minutes.
- Add honey for a good flavor.
- Drink this tea one daily for few days for a continuous relief.
13. Borage Seed Oil
Borage is a flower also known as starflower which is an annual herb. It is from a plant that is native to the Mediterranean region and is also available in many other localities. It is basically grown in a garden environment and within the climate like UK and they remain there for years to years from self-seeding. Its leaves are edible and are used for medical purposes. It is now commonly grown in many countries of Europe. This plant is also extensively cultivated to get borage seed oil which is extracted from its seeds. This oil has some amazing anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties that help to relieve the symptoms of arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Borage seed oil massage must be regularly done on the affected area to get rid of tenderness and swollen joints.
- 1 teaspoon of borage seed oil can also be taken for pain relief. This oil is safe to drink and will not cause any type of harm.
- People who have arthritis problem will get a quite relief from this amazing remedy.
- It also maintains the physical health of patients, so that they can fully enjoy their life.
NOTE: do not digest borage seed or any other part of the plant directly.
Cherry is one of the refreshing fruits and it has some amazing properties. It is excess uric acid in the blood that causes joint pain, swelling, inflammation and tenderness. Many studies have found that uric acid can be reduced in the blood just by taking 2 cups of red cherries. They can also reduce inflammation by cutting off the amount of C-protein from your blood. Cherries basically contain potassium and magnesium and both of them helps to cover the arthritis problem. Potassium gets rid of inflammation and magnesium tries to reduce the pain in the joints. The method to take cherries is just simple as that.
- Eat 10-12 cherries on the daily basis. It is always best to use fresh cherries.
- You can also try out the cherry syrup. You just have to boil some deseeded cherries in water until it creates sweet and strong syrup like mixture. Drink this daily for few months.
- You can also have these cherries mixed with some of the seasonal fruits to reduce arthritis symptoms.
- Don’t try to add extra sugar which will be just an add-on to your health problems.
11. Fish Oil
Fish is the biggest source of protein and many other vitamins and minerals. Omega-3 fatty acids which are present in fish oil help to reduce the inflammatory problems in joints and bones of arthritis patients. It also reduces pain and restricts it from coming back. Fish oil is available either as edible tablets or in the form of pure oil. Regular consumption of fish can also reduce the arthritis problem. You can use this amazing arthritis treatment this way:
- Directly take 1-2 teaspoons of good quality fish oil daily.
- Taking fish oil tablets daily in the morning with an empty stomach can also reduce stiffness and swelling of joints.
Along with fish oil, products with high omega-3 fatty acid must also be included in your diet to get rid of this painful disease. Use of cold water fish in daily routine can benefit your body and will give relief from many unwanted diseases.
10. Juniper Berry Tea
A research published in the “Journal of Ethnopharmacology” says that juniper berries help to reduce arthritis pain just because it contains a miraculous component called terpinon-4-ol. The component terpene suppresses the white blood cells that transmit signals of inflammation to the brain. They are also called monocytes and are part of our immune system. In rheumatoid arthritis, the immune system targets the normal joint tissues that cause inflammation, pain, swelling and stiffness. If juniper is taken daily, it will reduce the arthritis symptoms by easing inflammation and pain. Only two varieties of junipers are effective, prickly and common.
- Dried Juniper berry tea – 1 teaspoon.
- Water – 1 cup
- Honey for flavor.
- Boil 1 cup of water.
- Add juniper berry tea in a mug and pour in the boiling water.
- Let it steep for 20 minutes.
- Drink 1 cup twice daily for fast actions.
- Add honey for some good flavor.
NOTE: Pregnant women should avoid drinking this tea at all costs.
9. Blackstrap Molasses Drink
Blackstrap molasses is thick black syrup that is produced during the refining of sugar cane in order to produce white sugar. These blackstrap molasses contain high values of minerals such as calcium, magnesium and potassium. It is one of the very best home remedies for arthritis for past many years. It is basically what we get when boiling the sugar syrup for the 3rd time and it is filled with nutrients. As a supplement, blackstrap molasses syrup can help to reduce the symptoms of arthritis such as joint pain, inflammation and swelling. It also regulates the nerve and muscle system of the body along with strengthening the bones. This amazing remedy is also very effective in treating and preventing rheumatoid arthritis.
- Blackstrap molasses – 1 tablespoon.
- Warm water – 1 cup.
- Heat 1 cup of water until warm.
- Add a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses syrup and stir until dissolved.
- Drink a cup daily for the pain relief.
NOTE: While having this mixture always take care that it can sometimes have a laxative effect.
8. Dandelion Leaves
Dandelion leaves are incredibly high in vitamins such as A and C. These leaves help to repair damaged tissues and take the liver clear toxins out of the blood. Studies have shown that these also carry anti-inflammatory properties because of linoleic and linoleic acid. Linoleic is one of the essential fatty acids that the body requires to produce prostaglandin that regulates the immune response system and reduces inflammation. Because of this, dandelion leaves shows a great success when it comes to treat the arthritis problem. For an effective arthritis treatment, you can use dandelion leaves can be served with the salad or can be used as a tea.
- Dried dandelion leaves – 1 teaspoon.
- Boiling water – 1 cup.
- For salad handful of fresh leaves.
- Olive oil to be drizzled on the leaves.
- To make dandelion leaves tea, boil a cup of fresh water.
- Add a teaspoon of dried dandelion leaves in it and simmer for few minutes.
- Drink this tea twice daily for better results.
- To make dandelion leaves salad, chop up some regular salad and toss fresh leaves of dandelion.
- Drizzle some of the olive oil as a dressing.
- Enjoy the salad with your regular meal.
NOTE: Dandelion tea is very bitter; add some honey for a good flavor.
7. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Olive makes lubrication of joints easy and it also reduces the arthritis pain and it turns out really well. The main component of the extra virgin oil is oleocanthal that is used to reduce inflammatory enzymes such as COX-1 and COX-2, the way Aspirin and Advil does. The studies show that 1 1/2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil is equal to 200mg of ibuprofen. But it is not necessary that every type of oil is made equal. Heat destroys the properties of oleocanthal that is why extra virgin olive oil is used in the cold form. The level of oleocanthal is highest when the olives are ripe, so the stronger is the tasting of olive oil; the higher is the level of oleocanthal. It can be used as an internal medicine but due to high in calories it is replaced by other fats like butter or cooking oil. It is equally beneficial in treating rheumatoid arthritis.
- Take 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Massage your sore joints with this oil twice daily.
- You can also take 2-3 teaspoons of olive oil, but always take care of your calorie count.
6. Alfalfa Seeds
Alfalfa has been used as an herbal medicine for more than 1000 years. It is extensively use din Chinese medicine to treat digestive issues and kidney problems. It is rich in calcium, protein and other minerals such as Vitamin B, C, D, E, and K. The sun-dried alfalfa hay is a high source of vitamin D which is incredible for joints and bones. Alfalfa is best used to take care of arthritis pain and to maintain the pH levels. This also reduces the inflammation between the joints and gives a soothing effect.
- Alfalfa seeds – 1 teaspoon.
- Water – 1 cup.
- Boil 1 cup of fresh water.
- Add in the alfalfa seeds and simmer on low flame for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and drink it twice daily.
Ready made alfalfa capsules are also available in the market that can be taken daily to reduce the harmful effects of arthritis.
Cinnamon is a spice that is rich in fiber, calcium and iron. These minerals are very impressive antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents. It is best for the treatment of arthritis pain. With its powerful medical background, this spice has many health benefits and has been used for more than 1000 years. It relives the arthritis pain along with joint discomfort and swelling of the bones. Good use of cinnamon in your daily meals can be very beneficial for your health and also for easing arthritis symptoms.
Quick link = Benefits of cinnamon
- Cinnamon powder – 1 teaspoon.
- Water – 1 cup.
- Honey for flavor.
- Boil one cup of water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and simmer for a while.
- Drink this tea every morning with an empty stomach.
- You can also apply a paste of cinnamon powder with honey on to your joints for the relief of pain.
4. Epsom Salt Soak
Epsom salt contains a substance called magnesium sulfate which sounds a little scary. Being one of the natural minerals, magnesium sulfate has been extensively used to get rid of arthritis pain for many years. It is just because of the high level of magnesium, it works well on the joints and bones. You can use this remedy as an effective arthritis treatment this way:
- Epsom salt – 1/2 cup.
- Warm water.
- Large bowl.
- Take a large bowl of warm water.
- Add half a cup of Epsom salt and stir continuously till the salt is completely dissolved.
- Soak your sore joints in the mixture.
- If there is a problem soaking your joints, take a bath with Epsom salt soak.
- Fill a tub of warm water and add 2 cups of Epsom salt.
- Soak for at least 15 minutes.
3. Turmeric And Giner Tea
Turmeric and ginger both are natural ingredients and carry a high level of anti-inflammatory agents. These are one of those herbs that have been used as an effective arthritis treatment from ages. It helps to reduce both osteo and rheumatoid arthritis pain. Turmeric itself is a very old that has many health benefits and it is very famous for its miracles in medical science. It has an active ingredient called curcumin that is a very powerful antioxidant. It also lowers the level of two enzymes that causes inflammation which is a painful part of arthritis. These are also available in capsule form, but a cup of fresh turmeric and ginger tea will relief the arthritis pain completely.
- Water – 2 cups.
- Ground turmeric – 1/2 teaspoon.
- Ground ginger – 1/2 teaspoon.
- Honey to add flavor.
- Boil 2 cups of water.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of ginger and 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric.
- Simmer the tea for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add honey for flavor.
- Drink this tea twice daily.
NOTE: The serving of the tea is for two persons.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a rich source of minerals like calcium, phosphorus, potassium and magnesium. It is a very helpful tonic that shows some promising results on our health. It helps to reduce joint pain and inflammation. It also removes the built-in toxins between the joints and connective tissues. This vinegar is commonly used in our kitchens and is easily available in the market. You just have to learn the tricks to get rid of problems like arthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. Home remedies cannot completely cure arthritis, but they can surely suppress it to the maximum level.
- Warm water – 1 cup.
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 teaspoon.
- Honey – 1 teaspoon.
Add apple cider vinegar and honey in the warm water and drink this mixture daily. Alkalizing effect of this drink will suppress the cause of arthritis.
1. Giner And Caraway Seeds
Another very good and popular home remedy for arthritis is a mixture of ginger and caraway seeds. Ginger being an antioxidant will clear out the toxins from the joints and its anti-inflammatory agent will suppress the pain. Caraway seeds, on the other hand have a strong peppery effect which will give a warm dose to the joints when rubbed. Let us see how these both join to eliminate the joints pain.
- Grind a mixture of 6 teaspoons of dried ginger, 3 teaspoons of black pepper and 6 teaspoons of caraway seeds.
- Keep this mixture in an airtight bottle and use whenever required.
- Take a teaspoon of this mixture and dissolve in warm water.
- Take this drink thrice daily.
- Eating raw organic ginger can also help to relief the joint pain. It also improves the blood circulation.
- Try to add fresh ginger in your meals for easing arthritis symptoms.
Points To Ponder:
- Try to use one remedy at a time. Multiple remedies can affect the results and may cause allergies and severe problems.
- Always use fresh ingredients.
- Avoid any type of added sugar.
- If possible try to look for some organic material.
- An arthritis patient should always keep a healthy oil massage in his routine.
- Before massaging or rubbing any sort of ingredient, keep in mind that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients.
- Take only those drinks early in the morning with an empty stomach that are highly recommended.
- Always take care of the amount of ingredients required. Never underestimate the actual amount of ingredients.
- If using any leaves or berries always check that those are free from any sort of insects.
- It is recommended if any other person can do the message on your joints other then you yourself, it will be more effective.