Women spend hours in the malls looking out for the perfect outfit, then they head down towards the salon for good makeup and hairdo, but least do they bother about the health and beauty of their hands and feet which can easily either bring up or down a look you have invested so much into. Just like our hair, our nails too are basically the part of the body that is not living but still it manages to get affected drastically by whatever is happening inside or outside in its nearest environment.
Brittle and weak nails take away the beauty of your hands. You are not able to get a fine manicure because whichever product goes on to your hands makes no effort to beautify it rather the fingernails hardly manage to stay on and firm for a matter of mere minutes. Many women get sick and tired of their nails breaking half way when they are trying to grow them out for an occasion or event and end up getting fake nails to compensate. Brittle nails are caused by a lot of reasons that account for either internal deficiencies or external harmful exposures to chemicals and the likes. However there are many cheap and inexpensive home remedies that will save you a lot of bucks that you intend on spending over costly chemical based product for brittle nails.
15. Fix It With Olive Oil
Oils are thought of as natural DIY remedies and cures for a lot of things. With the word oil we only think of stuff that might be harmful for the body but we do not understand the fact that only excess of everything is bad and that these oils when used in moderation can save us from a lot of issues. In fact, olive oil is very good for your fingernail health. For brittle nails we can always go for an olive oil soak on a daily basis. The oil is best to soften the skin and produce a natural shine. Along with that it has a high penetration rate that easily gets into the neglected corners of the nails and provides extra nourishment.
- The trick is to soak your nails in a bowl of olive oil for about 10 minutes.
- Give your hands and nails a good massage afterwards, additionally wear some gloves depending on the weather of the area that you reside.
14. Weekly Regime Lemon Juice And Hot Oil
These remedies actually indicate to us that our skin is actually pretty malnourished with respect to what we think of it. It is not getting the right proportion of moisture, nutrients and the good fats that it require for its strengthening and glow. This is the main reason why women whine about getting patchy and rough skin without any softness or glow. Try this simple lemon olive oil remedy to cure your brittle nails.
Quick link = Benefits of lemon water
- This remedy is pretty easy and it gives your skin an instant boost of softness and shine.
- Because the Vitamin C in lemon juice actually scrubs off the dead skins cells that give away a dead and dull effect.
- Just add a small amount of lemon juice either freshly squeezed or from an extract to some hot olive oil or coconut oil.
- The rest is to dip a cotton ball in this mixture and then cover the affected nails with the cotton ball.
- Secure it nicely with a foil and let it stay for about 10 minutes.
- The result after a use of a couple of days will give you shinier skin and will also get rid of that yellowness that often appears on the nails
13. Go With Sea Salt
Many women go through the luxury of having those expensive and luxurious spas that are enriched with all kinds of natural essential oils and bath salts that leave you behind with such relaxed and rejuvenated feelings that you cannot imagine anything else. But not everyone can pick up their pockets for such luxuries and for this reason sea salt turns out to be great in order to scrub off dead skin cells and heal the parts of the body that have been long neglected. Here how you can use to heal your fingernails. You just need a small amount of sea salt, about 4 teaspoons mixed well in some warm water.
- Simply dip your nails and hand in this mix for 10-15 minutes.
- Take them out and pat dry with a clean and soft towel.
- You will notice that just after your first use your nails look healthier and quite a bit stronger than before.
12. Believe In The Power Of Milk
Milk is one great substance that is known to strengthen your bones and bring that healthy glow to your face and skin. Milk is enriched with all the essential vitamins and minerals that strengthens our immunity and also nourishes our body. Milk has almost the same properties even when used externally and in fact it is a great natural cleanser that many women use in order to clean their faces of any dirt or excess oils. You can use milk effectively for improving your fingernail health.
- Our nails are composed of calcium, meaning they belong to the family of bones.
- However they are not as strong as a bone but still they can do wonders when in the right mode.
- To give them a healthy dose of calcium directly, simply soak your nails in a bowl of warm milk and give them good 10 minutes
- With the frequent use of milk soak you will find that you nails will not break in the middle or the sides and wouldn’t really peel off either.
11. Use Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil extract has a number of benefits for the natural glow of the skin and problems and issues related with the skin. Tea tree oil is rich in its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties and can be used as an agent to clear up acne and even the dark spots that are left behind after hard acne. This is an active ingredient in many skin care products. Try the following tea tree oil recipe to cure your fingernails.
- A gentle massage of just a few drops of tea tree oil on the nails will get rid of any previous damage that has been caused due to nail breakage.
- It will also soften and condition the cuticles along with strengthening them.
10. The Evergreen Vaseline
Vaseline is like the go to remedy for all kinds of dry skin problems. If we are having cracked heels to chapped lips our one remedy that works like wonders is Vaseline. Vaseline is the miracle product that is based on a number of oils mixed with glycerin and is also known as petroleum jelly.
- The simplest of use of Vaseline is to apply it every night on both the hands/feet and the nails before bed time and then cover them up.
- We suggest covering up the skin is because most of the movement at night from changing sides to grabbing the sheets takes away the application and it does not get that much time to heal the affected areas.
- Vaseline is a natural softener and provides the essential hydration saving them up from dehydration.
9. Try To Deal It From The Inside
So we know how to do things from the outside that can help strengthen the nails and try and bring out that natural glow. But often we fail to get the desired results or the ones that are actually prescribed on the products or are discussed with the remedies. This is because the problems though external still have a close internal link. The skin gets dry because it gets dehydrated from the inside. Make sure to eat healthy foods for improving your fingernail health. We know the science that of skin perspiration which means it gets rid of the water and oil from the inside. So if we are lacking it all from the inside the skin won’t have anything to let out and will end getting dry and dehydrated.
- Enrich your diet with foods full of Vitamin B, Biotin.
- It is easily found in foods like lentils, nuts for instance peanuts and also cauliflower.
- Get some oil inside your body saturated fats, of course.
- Go after coconut oil and fruits like avocado that help work up your metabolism and bring these essential oil towards the cells.
8. File Them Well
Many women don’t really bother about the shape of their nails and even after a sacred nail cut of a month they do not file their nails and pretend that all is well without nail filing. This actually is not true and might be one of the ugliest habits a woman can possess. If you really want to have healthy fingernails that look good as well, then always go for proper weekly nail cuts and also file the nails afterwards because poor nail hygiene will not only get you sick but will also cause nail damage.
- Try and keep your nail edges filed and rounded, this prevents extensive nail peeling.
- Also always go for one sided file motion because moving the filer back and forth only makes the nail weaker.
7. Regular Massages
Massage is one of the best treatments that you can surprise your body with. Massage and that to a good massage actually regulates the flow of blood throughout the body, this means that after a massage your head and body both will feel lighter as ever. To make your nails feel better and grow better you should be massaging your nails and cuticles each night before going to bed with a good moisturizer. Why not add in massaging your hands and feet along with it?
6. Save From Excess Water
As much as we are going to talk about hydrating your skin and nails we still recommend avoiding excessive contact with water. When your hands are soaked in water for a long period of time they naturally get far soft and also expand than the usual and this causes unwanted nail breakage and the essential oils from the body and the nails are drained in the water. It is always recommended to wear gloves when you are involved in works of water like washing clothes, dishes, or even working with dirt like gardening and farming. After you have done your work, take off the gloves and give yourself a good moisturizing massage.
5. Addition Of Vitamin E Oil
We have been suggesting the use of oils of all kinds from the beginning and this is what we are going to do yet again. Vitamin E is one solid Vitamin that is known to have strong positive effects on the condition of hair, skin and nails. This is the reason why vitamin E based oils and capsules should be readily available in every girl’s go to drawer and vanity kits. It is an essential part of your skin and fingernail health.
- Whenever you intend to give your hands/feet and nails a good soak, just add in a capsule or two of vitamin E or a few drops of Vitamin E oil to enhance the magic.
- Soak it well for 10-15 minutes and once you are done you will feel your skin and nails being much more nourished than before.
4. Have A Beer Soak
As strange as it may sound but this might be one of the funniest soaks of your life. Women are fond of beer and there is no hiding from it. There aren’t only men that fill up their fridge with beer; women too are often found to be guilty of it. So whenever you grab yourself some beer remember to add in a couple extra for your nail’s sake. You can simply collect all of the beer leftovers that are a headache after a party and the next day do this simple trick:
- Warm up about a cup of olive oil and then add in it equal parts of apple cider vinegar. To this mixture add about half a cup of beer and then give your nails a good soak in it.
- After 10-15 minutes get your nails out and simply rinse with cold water and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Trust us you will fall in love with your nails afterwards.
3. Try On A Herbal Mask
By now you have read through a lot of oil based treatments for brittle nails but this one is a complete herbal mask and for those who are herbal regime enthusiasts can enjoy going through this simple and quick herbal nail mask. What you need to do is:
- Soak some chamomile and peppermint tea leaves in some warm water for about 45 minutes.
- After they are soaked well and the water seems to have taken away the essence, strain the water.
- In this water add about a teaspoon of olive oil and 2 teaspoons of wheat flour and form a thick paste.
- Apply this herbal paste on to the nails and let them dry and get hard.
- After about 30 minutes to 45 minutes give the nails a good rinse and see the difference.
2. Make A Milk And Egg Yolk Mask
Yes egg yolks smell ewwy but what to do when you need to get rid of these painful and annoying brittle nails that take away the glam of your hands? You do what is meant to be done. Milk and egg is one tough combination. Where the milk provides all kinds of nourishment, eggs work on towards balancing the protein levels to strengthen the nails and prevent them from breakage and nail peeling. You can use this treatment well in a week to find better results.
1. Lower Down Use Of Nail Polish
Yes we know that you are yelling and screaming at us right now but for now you need to know that the chemicals that are a part of the nail polish actually take away the moisture from the nails and the skin along with it. Take a casual break from applying nail polish for a couple of months this will let them have a free life and breathe free, where you can always survive without colored nails you cannot possibly do so with broken and brittle nails.
- You can always go for the home based products in comparison to emptying your pockets buying expensive skin and nail care products that are based on tons of chemicals.
- Just go into your kitchen and look after things that are high on hydration and moisture.
- Proteins on the other hand will strengthen the damaged bonds.