Migraines are amongst the most severe kind of headaches and according to World Health Organization it is considered amongst the 20 most disabling medical condition. Migraine is usually starts with an aura. Every person has different triggering factors, some are triggered by stress (80 percent), while about 65 percent of the people are triggered by hormones and 44 percent are triggered by pungent odors. There are about 38 percent people who are triggered by light and 36 percent by smoke. The remaining 30 percent are triggered by heat and 27 percent by food. Whereas there are some other disruptions as well.
Here are some of the common migraine symptoms that will help you recognize it. Migraine is characterized by a throbbing pain which might stay either at one side of the head involving the eye of that side too or it might get to travel on the other side of the head. There are about four different types of migraines each one characterized with different regions and conditions.
Migraine could also be genetically inherited while it can also be merely due to certain brain chemical changes. Following are some simple but effective migraine relief remedies by using natural foods and herbs.
Ginger has a strong taste and is utilized in cooked, powdered form, its juice could be extracted and is used in fresh as well as dried form. Ginger has been used since ages for the gastric problems. And not just gastric problems but it is also used for arthritis, inflammation and other issues like high cholesterol cough etc.
Research has also proven that ginger is good for the migraine patients as it blocks a hormone called prostaglandins which promotes muscle contraction and also regulates the inflammation in blood vessels.
- Chewing ginger root could be helpful with migraine relief.
- While having ginger tea thrice a day on the onset of migraine can help you with it.
Peppermint is another solution that could be helpful in migraine relief. Besides being a good home remedy for migraines it is also useful for stomach indigestion, nausea and diarrhea. Peppermint is also given for its calming effect in conditions like menstrual pain or depression related to anxiety muscle pain etc.
Quick link = How to get rid of a headache
- Inhaling peppermint helps in relieving the headaches.
- Drinking peppermint tea is also a good way to release headaches.
- One can also massage a few drops of peppermint oil on the temples as well to reduce the pain.
18. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea is supposed to be an effective reliever from migraine headaches. Chamomile tea leaves is basically made from the dried chamomile flowers, which are used to make chamomile tea. It is known to cure anxiety, stomach cramps and is also helpful in treating dermal problems like eczema.
German chamomile is the one which is considered for migraines.
- You can seep equal amount of chamomile, meadowsweet and horehound in a cup of hot water. Let it sit for five minutes. It’s ready! Just strain and drink.
- You can also just seep two teaspoons of chamomile tea leaves in a cup of hot water and strain after five minutes to drink.
17. Cayenne Pepper
Capsicum or cayenne pepper is used in any dishes to add colour and taste to the food. It contains capsaicin, a chemical which is used in arthritis and muscle pain. As it stimulates the circulation and improves the blood flow, it is very useful in migraine relief.
- To drink cayenne water you need to chop it in small little pieces
- Add these into a cup of warm water
- You can also add lemon if you want.
- Drink this water during migraine time to time.
“Do you wish to subside your migraine the next time you have it? Read and find what could possibly help you with it.”
16. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar an amazing detoxifying agent is useful for migraines. It is used by many for the purpose of weight reduction and blood pressure control. Usually taken in a warm cup of water as first thing in the morning. Apple cider vinegar is also found to work in controlling the blood sugar levels and relieving constipation. Here is a simple remedy to use it if you’re feeling migraine symptoms.
- For the beginners who are not used to apple cider vinegar must start with one teaspoon of it.
- Mixing it in warm water and drinking is the trick.
- After a certain while, one can increase the quantity of apple cider vinegar to 2 to 3 tablespoons.
15. Ice Packs
Cold and frozen ice packs are a good way to numb the nerve endings, which makes the desired area become pain free for a while. Hence using ice packs during migraine headaches is also one of the options.
- Taking a block of ice cube and wrapping it with a towel is what you need to do.
- Place it on the temples, forehead and back of the neck to numb the pain.
- Do it for 15 minutes.
- One can also use hot compress alternatively with the cold ice packs for much better results.
With good massage skills one can get rid of almost any kind of pain. Science has found several pressure points in the body which are related to different regions in the body. When these pressure points are pressed for a few seconds repeatedly then the pain is relieved from the related areas.
- Some pressure points are found in the feet
- While some in the palm, others in the ear lobe.
- Massaging the temples with relaxing essential oils is also used for migraines.
Feverfew is used for many health benefits which includes relieving migraines, reducing stress and is also good with menstrual cramp reduction. It is also used to regulate the blood pressure and also works to improve the appetite. Feverfew is an herb that works the neutralizing prostaglandins which sends the signal for pain, in return reducing the pain.
- Take a few leaves of feverfew and a few dried leaves of peppermint.
- Steep these into a cup of warm water for 30 minutes.
- Strain and drink it till the pain is reduced.
- Besides this you can also chew a few leaves of feverfew.
You’re planning to stay up all night to work on the project due the other day coffee is your best friend to help you stay awake. And if you take it as your breakfast beverage then it surely helps you boost your energy. Coffee is supposed lower the risk of hepatic diseases and also prevents diabetes. This is also said to reduce depression and migraine headaches.
- As far as migraine is concerned it is helpful for it because it blocks certain pain receptors which might be active during migraine.
- Hence taking coffee during migraine is a healthy way to reduce the pain.
Note: coffee in some people can worsen the migraines. So you should be well aware of the fact that in which category you fall into.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away. So, having an apple daily is a long lived recommendation for all of us. Apples are a good source of iron and are supposed to manage diabetes mellitus. People who want to go on a weight loss diet should prefer eating apples as they help in cutting down cholesterol. Other than this a medical condition Alzheimer’s has been found to get prevented by apples.
- For migraines it has been said that eating an apple before the episode can help prevent it.
- Whereas, its smell can also be helpful in the pain reduction.
10. Dark Chocolate
Dark chocolates can be bitter in taste but they are far more beneficial for our health than their bitterness. They are said to be antioxidant in nature as it includes antioxidants like polyphenols, flavanols, catechins etc.
Talking about cardiac conditions, dark chocolate helps in reducing the low density lipids and increasing the high density lipids in the body. If you’re experiencing migraine symptoms, dark chocolate can be very effective in proving relief.
- Dark chocolates are believed to improve the blood flow by producing nitric oxide in the arteries hence could somewhat be helpful during the migraine as it helps improve the blood flow.
- In a 100 gram of dark chocolate 58 percent of magnesium is present which is thought to be linked with reduced migraine pain.
Around seventy five percent of our body is composed of water, so one can imagine how important it is to take the right amount of water for your body. Water helps our body with the nutrients to absorb them as well help remove the toxic waste to exit from our body. For healthy and juvenile skin with many other nutrients water is also one of the factors that help to keep the skin young and fresh.
- As far as headaches and migraines are concerned, so yes, drinking proper amount of water and staying hydrated helps a lot in reducing the migraines or even preventing it from getting started in the first place.
- There are different recommendations for adults and children to drink water and one should follow the average quantity of water that has been recommended in order to avoid any dehydration and its related consequences.
“If you are tired with your migraine pain after every few days, weeks or months then you should definitely read here and find something to help reduce the pain for yourself or your family member.”
8. Taking A Good Nap
Sleep when in pain! It may not eliminate the pain completely but it will help you stay disconnected from it. Some people when feel sleep deprived start having a severe headache because of sleep deprivation. So, it better for them to sleep and renew and freshen up their mind before the pain gets worse. In fact, sleep deprivation can be one of the migraine symptoms. So make sure to sleep properly to avoid it.
7. Eat Good
Sometimes not getting enough diet is also a reason for migraine headaches. The ones who are not on a balanced diet usually suffer from headaches.
- A balanced diet is a must for every age group.
- Taking a meal which is healthy for the brain must be at the top of the list at all times.
This lovely little fruit is loved by all. Its taste is sweet and it’s a melatonin containing fruit which means it is good to deal with insomnia. It not only helps to sleep better but also facilitates to improve the immunity of the body. It is a great source of vitamin A.
- Cherries contain antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Reports suggest that the intake of cherry juice is quiet helpful with migraines and headaches.
5. Taking A Hot Shower
Some people love to sit for hours under a hot shower. The reason behind it is very simple, hot showers are very relaxing and secondly as the water falls on the body with certain pressure, it helps the body get a massage automatically. Some even prefer having a hot water bath mixed with some salt because that too is very soothing. Hence soothing and relieving effect helps to reduce the migraine pain in individuals.
This might bring to your mind the thought of needles. But, no it’s not about needles it is just simple pressure being applied by the thumb and the index finger on certain points on the body. This technique is found to be very effective in migraine relief.
- It is suggested to pinch at the point between the thumb and the index finger until the onset of a dull ache.
- Keep on holding until you feel the pain in the head subsiding.
Yoga is not just an exercise it is a way to deal with your life in a healthy way. Yoga helps the body to stay fit and healthy without any external medications or any other treatment. It is a very healthy way to start off with the day, to bring energy throughout the day.
- Yoga helps the body to maintain a healthy blood pressure, improve the circulation and helps the body relax.
- All these factors listed above sum up to reduce the migraine pain.
2. A Smooth Gut
Some people are unaware of the fact that their irregular bowel habits could be the culprit for their severe and lasting migraines. A smooth gut is a sign of a healthy body, there are many issues that rise inside the body just because of a stuck up bowel.
- Constipated intestine could be a possible reason for your ongoing migraines.
- It might not be a direct link but somehow it is related to migraine headaches.
1. Iron Sufficiency
People with hemoglobin deficiency are most likely to suffer from any form of headache or can experience migraine symptoms. It could be a common headache or might be a severe migraine. It is because of the obvious reason that hemoglobin is the carrier of oxygen and for the proper functioning of the body cells oxygen is required. Therefore, less oxygen supply to the brain could cause the onset of migraine.
- Having food rich in iron must be part of the diet,
- Any severe iron deficiency must be covered by iron supplements, if needed.
Do’s And Dont’s
- One should always take fibrous diet to avoid any constipated stomach.
- Yoga is the best way to keep one’s self healthy so start doing it from today.
- Do not take too much caffeinated items as it is unhealthy.
- Always keep track of your diet and keep it healthy.