Dental cavities are basically small holes in the teeth that develop as a result of tooth decay. Tooth decay is typically caused by lack of dental hygiene or insufficient amount of minerals in the diet that lead to the accumulation of plaque and bacteria in the mouth, thus causing demineralization of the hard tissues of the teeth.
Cavities are also caused by a number of other reasons. These include food particles that remain in your mouth for a long time, improper oral hygiene, taking snacks frequently, dry mouth, eating disorders, and not getting enough amount of fluoride.
But the question is how can you know that tooth decay has set in? Elders can easily observe the changes occurring in their teeth, but it is difficult for children to understand these changes. If you have kids at home, then you should often keep a check on their teeth and make sure to regularly take them to the dentist. Apart from cavities getting prominent in the teeth, the onset of tooth decay is also identified by sticky deposits of dark color that can be found on the teeth, along with the presence of plaque that causes bad breath.
There are various signs and symptoms of cavities depending on the type and intensity of the problem. Some of the most common symptoms include a bad toothache, pain while drinking and eating, prominent holes in the affected tooth, and white, brown or black stains on the surface of the tooth. If not treated on time, cavities can lead to severe teeth problems like infections or tooth loss.
Despite regularly visiting the dentist and taking all precautions, you probably might suffer from tooth decay and cavities at some point or the other in your life. In such a case, you can try out some quick and effective, easy home remedies to prevent dental problems. It was believed earlier that only dentists could treat cavities but now with these natural home remedies you can keep tooth decay at bay.
Given below are 20 of the most useful and effective home treatments for cavities and tooth decay:
20. Homemade mineralizing toothpaste
One good remedy for tooth decay is to prepare mineralizing toothpaste at home. Although there are a number of fluoride-free toothpastes available today in the market, it is better to use a toothpaste made with special homemade ingredients.
- Take 2 tablespoons of baking soda, 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, 15-20 drops of peppermint or clove essential oil, 1 tablespoon of xylitol or 1/8 teaspoon of stevia, and 15-20 drops of minerals such as calcium powder or magnesium. Mix all these ingredients together to form a paste and apply it o your teeth daily.
Cavities and other dental problems can also be treated by using clove. Clove has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help eliminate toothaches and cavities.
- Gently chew a clove and keep it on one side in your mouth in the affected area between your teeth for some minutes. The “spicy” juice or oil that is extracted from the clove in your mouth will heal the cavity and reduce the pain.
- Mix ¼ teaspoon of sesame seed oil with 2-3 drops of clove oil. Dip a small cotton ball in this solution and apply it on the affected tooth. Do this daily before you sleep.
18. Avoid Sugar
A major cause of tooth decay and cavities is having too many sugary foods like biscuits, candies, chocolates, cakes, pastries and, even cold drinks. So, if you want to get rid of cavities and tooth decay permanently then you have to avoid sugar. Remember to rinse your mouth thoroughly with lukewarm water whenever you take any sweets.
17. Make Use Of a Fluoride Mouthwash
Using a fluoride mouthwash is always good for your teeth as it helps re-mineralize them and prevents tooth decay. Lack of sufficient minerals is an important reason for tooth decay and cavities and a fluoride mouthwash works as an effective remedy here.
You can also use salt for treating cavities and tooth decay. The antibacterial and antiseptic properties of salt help eliminate pain, inflammation and any kind of bacterial growth in the mouth.
- Take half teaspoon of salt and mix it with a little mustard oil or a few drops of lemon juice. Use this paste to gently massage the affected gum area for some minutes and then rinse with warm water. Following this remedy twice a day will eventually kill the bacteria and eliminate inflammation.
- You can also mix 1 teaspoon of salt in a glass of lukewarm water and rinse a mouthful of this solution for about 2 minutes, focusing on the area of the affected tooth. Repeat this thrice a day until the problem is resolved.
Garlic is highly recommended for tooth decay and cavities due to its antibiotic and antibacterial properties.
- Eat a chunk of raw garlic regularly to avoid cavities and tooth aches.
- Rub a little garlic oil on the affected area of the gums or teeth to get instant relief from pain due to cavities.
- Take 3-4 pieces of crushed garlic cloves and ¼ teaspoon of rock salt. Mix together to form a paste and apply it on the affected tooth. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and then rinse with a good mouthwash. Repeat this twice a day for some weeks.
Another highly effective remedy for cavities and dental issues is using turmeric. Turmeric has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that are helpful in keeping the gums and teeth healthy by preventing bacteria formation and tooth decay.
Quick link = Turmeric health benefits
- Take half teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix it well with some mustard oil. Massage this mixture on your teeth and gums and leave it for at least 10 minutes before you rinse it off.
- You can also apply a little bit of turmeric powder on the affect area of your teeth. Leave it there for a couple of minutes and then rinse off with warm water.
13. Cod Liver Oil And Butter Oil
Butter oil and cod liver oil are both rich in vitamin A, D and K which are helpful in maintaining dental hygiene. You can take a capsule that contains these two supplements or consume each of them separately in your diet.
12. Oil Pulling
The practice of oil pulling or rinsing your mouth with oil is an ancient practice that is effective for cavities and bleeding gums.
- Take 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and put it in your mouth. Gently swish it in your mouth for at least 20 minutes and then spit it out. Do not gargle or swallow the oil. Rinse your mouth afterwards with warm water or salt water and then brush your teeth as usual. Do this daily in the morning after you wake up. You can also use sunflower or coconut oil instead of sesame oil.
11. Calcium and Magnesium
Rinsing your mouth with a mixture of calcium and magnesium powder is also an effective remedy for tooth aches and cavities. It helps re-mineralize your teeth and keeps your mouth free from cavity acids.
Licorice is really helpful in keeping the teeth healthy. This herb contains effective antibacterial compounds that helps get rid of plaque and cavity producing bacteria.
- Take a soft stick of licorice and use it as a toothbrush to brush your teeth daily.
- Alternatively, you can use dried licorice powder to brush your teeth on a daily basis.
9. Vegetable Oil
Tooth infection, cavities and pain can also be eliminated by using vegetable oil.
- Take a cup full of vegetable oil and swish it around your mouth for at least one to one and a half minutes and then spit it out. Doing this regularly twice a week will eliminate pain caused by tooth decay and cavity.
8. Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberry, also known as amla, is another famous herb for reducing cavities and tooth decay. It is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants and combats many dental infections. It also helps heal and develop the connective tissue of the gums.
- Consume one fresh Indian gooseberry daily for effective results.
- You can also take half teaspoon of Indian gooseberry powder with half glass of water on a daily basis.
7. Bone Broth
A bone broth is a kind of soup that is made from the bones of animals such as beef, lamb, poultry, bison etc along with water. It has a number of benefits: it helps enhance the digestive system, strengthens your nails, skin and hair, and being rich in magnesium and calcium, it also helps fight tooth decay and cavities.
6. Mustard Oil And Rock Salt
Rock salt and mustard oil are two very useful ingredients found in almost every kitchen.
- Take equal quantities of rock salt and mustard oil and massage your teeth with it for 5-10 minutes. Rinse afterwards to get rid of the salty taste in your mouth.
Wheatgrass is a rich source of vitamin A, E and many other minerals such as calcium, magnesium and iron, all of which are necessary for healthy teeth. It has natural antibacterial properties that help combat bacteria and tooth decay, as well as eliminate the pain caused due to cavities.
- You can have half glass of wheatgrass juice daily in an empty stomach to help kill the bacteria in your mouth.
- Alternatively, you can take some wheatgrass and chew it slowly. This is a really useful and healthy exercise to have stronger gums and teeth.
- You can also mix one part wheatgrass with six parts of water and swish it around in your mouth for one minute and then spit it out. Do this twice or thrice daily for best results.
Using neem has been an effective way to get stronger teeth since ages. Chewing a branch of the neem plant makes the gums and teeth healthier, plus the oils and other compounds that get released in the mouth while chewing prove to be extremely effective in fighting dental bacteria. Neem is also rich in fiber which helps get rid of plaques.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is another effective way to get rid of tooth decay and cavities.
- Take a little bit of tea tree oil and gently massage your gums and teeth with it for a few minutes and then rinse your mouth with lukewarm water. Follow this twice daily for best results.
2. Oregano Oil
According to various studies, oregano oil has been said to be an effective home treatment for cavities and tooth decay.
- Prepare a toothpaste by mixing some oregano oil with a little salt. Brush your teeth with this mixture at least once daily in order to keep your teeth and gums healthy. It might take you some time to get used to the flavor and taste of the oil.
1. Use a Mouth Spa
Germs get highly active at night when you go to sleep. So, you have to make sure that your mouth is free from any kind of bacteria before you go to bed. Always wash your mouth with lukewarm water mixed with salt every night to get rid of any germs.
Therefore, with these natural remedies, you can maintain good dental health and proudly show off your smile. Besides, there are also some do’s and don’ts that you must keep in mind in order to keep your teeth and gums forever healthy:
- Always brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes twice a day, in the morning and before going to bed at night.
- Change your toothbrush at least 2-3 times every year.
- Clean your tongue everyday and floss daily.
- Always rinse your mouth with water after eating or drinking.
- Regularly visit your dentist for proper diagnosis and treatment.
- Eat calcium rich foods.
- Use an antibacterial mouthwash to get rid of bad breath.
- Avoid foods and drinks with artificial sugar because they can cause plaque.
- Don’t be harsh on your teeth – always brush gently and slowly. Aggressive brushing can do more harm than good.
- Never ignore a toothache or any kind of pain in the teeth.
- Avoid starchy foods.
- Avoid carbonated soft drinks.
- Avoid sugary breakfast cereals.