Head lice are a common problem among school going children. Lice are actually little pests present in the scalps. These lice suck the blood from your head as their food thus makes the head weak. A child carrying lice may have continuous itching in the scalps that makes it difficult to sleep and left red marks because of continuous scratching of scalps.
It is not easy to get rid of head lice because of their quick reproduction. The lice can easily be transferred from head to head because of head contracts. So, it is suggested to avoid head contracts. The traditional method to remove lice from head is through combing but it is a long term treatment yet does not ensures full removal of lice. So the treatment of these lice is considered difficult but there are medications available for the treatment. These medical treatments are somehow effective but involve different side effects because of which people prefer home remedies to get rid of these little insects. Apart from these home remedies, some changes to your life style are also needed to prevent the reproduction of head lice. The effective home remedies to get rid of hair lice are listed below. You can choose among these head lice treatments to apply on scalps of children to remove these insects.
“If your child has head lice and cannot sleep easily, you can make them sleep well again by getting rid of these small insects.”
15. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice has sour taste and antiseptic properties that make it a good remedy to treat lice. Lemon juice also treats the scalps infected because of excessive scratching and prevents itching. The method to apply lemon juice as a remedy against head lice is as follows:
Quick link = Benefits of lemon water
- Cut a lemon in half and squeeze the lemon to get juice out of it.
- Rub lemon juice on the scalps.
- Let the juice applied on your scalps for 15 minutes.
- Comb the lice out of your hair after that.
Here we will teach you how to get rid of head lice using onions from your pantry. Onion contains sulfur which helps kill the lice in your head. Onion is an easily available and most effective DIY home remedy for head lice. Massage with onion juice as follows:
- Take onions, 4 in quantity, and grind them in a grinder.
- Put the extracted paste out of grinder in a pot.
- Press the paste to extract the onion juice.
- Massage your scalps with this juice.
- Let the juice applied to your scalps and cover your head for at least an hour.
- After that, shampoo your hair with warm water.
- Use a nit comb to remove lice.
Vinegar is an old method of getting rid of head lice. It is an inexpensive and commonly used method because vinegar contains acidic properties to kill the lice. All these amazing benefits make vinegar one of the best home remedies for head lice.
- Dilute vinegar with water and massage your scalps with it.
- Let it applied and cover your head for some time.
- Shampoo your hair.
- Comb your hair with nit comb to get rid of dead lice and dead nits.
Mayonnaise is another effective way of killing lice. Application of mayonnaise may suffocate the lice and kill them. For effective results, you may need a large quantity of mayonnaise to cover all the hair.
- Apply mayonnaise on your scalps and massage them.
- Let it applied on your head and cover it with shower or swim cap for one night.
- Shampoo your hair and then comb them to free from lice.
11. Olive Oil
Different oils have their good effects on your hair growth and health but oils especially olive oil also helps to remove head lice. Olive oil makes the scalps moisturize and make the lice get out of their hide outs. Once out these lice can be easily comb through the hair. It also acts like a suffocating agent and kills the lice at first place. Here is how you can use olive oil as an effective head lice treatment.
- Take olive oil on the tips of your finger.
- Massage your scalps gently with olive oil.
- Rub your hair against olive oil and let the scalps absorb oil.
- After 15 minutes, start combing your hair to remove lice.
- Repeat the same procedure in a week for better results.
10. Sesame Seed Oil
Learn how to get rid of head lice using sesame oil here. Sesame oil is said to be the queen of oils because of its unlimited benefits for health. Sesame seed oil has antibacterial properties to help solving the hair problem related to lice. You can use this natural insecticide to kill lice and stop their reproduction. For better results you can make an anti-lice oil by mixing different oils.
- Mix sesame oil, Indian lilac oil, tea tree oil and rosemary oil in one-fourth cup, one-eighth cup, one table spoon and half table spoon quantity respectively.
- Now your anti-lice oil is ready to use.
- Apply the oil to the hair and scalps and leave it on at least for one night.
- Shampoo and comb your hair to get rid of the lice and nits.
9. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is an essential ingredient of our kitchen. It has diverse benefits for your hair including getting rid of head lice. Like olive oil, coconut oil also suffocates the lice and kills them. Its sticky nature stops the lice from moving freely and makes it easy to wipe them out of the head. You just need to apply right amount at the right time to get better results. You’ll find coconut oil one of the best home remedies for head lice and also for your hair.
- Take coconut oil and warm it to apply to the head. Warming may enhance its properties.
- Apply the oil on the scalps and leave it on for at least one night.
- Shampoo your hair in the morning.
- Comb the wet hair to remove the nits and lice easily.
“Get rid of the head lice by adopting some of the simple home remedies from above.”
Garlic can also be used as an effective head lice treatment. Garlic also has such fragrance which suffocates the lice and ultimately kills them. Garlic is considered as an acid to kill lice from head but it may create some itching or swelling to the damaged portions. This is why it is important to mix other ingredients like lemon juice or oil to dilute garlic. The method to apply garlic on your scalps is very simple.
- Peel the garlic cloves and then grind some cloves to make a paste.
- You can add lemon juice or olive oil to it for more effective results.
- Apply it on the scalps and rub your scalps with it.
- After half an hour, shampoo your hair.
- Comb your hair with nit comb to remove lice.
Salt is also an easily available ingredient with bitter taste to treat head lice. Its acidic properties make it a killer medicine for head lice. To get rid of the lice you can apply salt on hair as follows:
- Mix 1 tbsp. salt in either vinegar or water to make a juice.
- Use this juice and apply on the hair.
- Leave it applied for 1 hour.
- Wash your hair with shampoo.
- For positive results, repeat the same procedure every three days.
6. Tea Tree Oil
If you want to know an effective method of how to get rid of head lice, just use tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is extracted from a plant named meleuca alternifolia. This oil contains antiseptic and anti-fungal properties that make it effective to kill lice without any side effects to your head skin.
- Sprinkle tea tree oil on your hair.
- Massage your scalps with this sprinkled oil.
- Let the oil absorbed then comb your hair to get rid of lice.
- You can also add different oils with tea tree oil to make it more effective i.e. Coconut oil, olive oil and lavender oil.
5. Petroleum Jelly
In some effective home remedies for head lice, petroleum jelly is at the top of the list. Petroleum jelly is used on hair to fight lice. It makes the hair slippery and suffocates the lice. Hence the lice are killed and easily washed away from the hair. But it is important to rinse off petroleum jelly properly from the hair else it can damage your hair. You can apply petroleum jelly the same way as mayonnaise. After washing the hair apply some oil to remove the unpleasant effect and left particles of petroleum jelly from hair. Repeat the process for several nights for complete removal of lice and their eggs.
4. Indian Lilac
Indian lilac or neem is considered as the most effective way to get rid of lice. Neem is a pesticide agent so it can kill lice and free your head from these little monsters. Neem also has antiseptic properties and anti-inflammation that prevents scratch marks and itching to the scalps. You can use this head lice treatment using these tips:
- Grind some neem leaves and create a paste.
- Apply this paste to your scalps and massage softly.
- Keep the paste applied until it is dried in your hair.
- Wash your hair with warm water.
- Repeat the same procedure, for some days, twice a day to get rid of lice effectively.
Rubbing alcohol to the scalps is also an effective way to get rid of the head lice. Alcohol is a powerful antiseptic and kills lice and nits fast.
- Rub alcohol onto your hair the same way as oiling your hair.
- Leave it for 5 minutes on your hair.
- Use a nit comb in your hair to take out the lice.
- Shampoo your hair afterwards.
- Repeat the same process once in a month.
2. Old School Listerine
Old school Listerine is an old but cheap method to kill head lice. You can see a visible difference even after the first treatment. Listerine is easily available in market.
- Soak your hair with Listerine.
- Put on a shower or swim cap to cover your head.
- Leave it for 4 hours and then rinse off with warm water.
- You will see some surprising result after first wash.
Cinnamon is also one of the most effective home remedies for head lice. Cinnamon has antiseptic properties that kill these insects and free you hair from lice. Cinnamon is generally used with some oil for application to hair.
Quick link = Benefits of cinnamon
- Add cinnamon powder in the olive oil.
- Mix these ingredients and then apply them on your scalps for some time.
While adopting some of these home remedies remember some Do’s and Don’ts to avoid any kind of harsh circumstances. We have listed some Do’s of Don’ts that will help you understand the best and worst practices for treatment of head lice.
- Comb wet hair to remove the lice.
- Use a nit comb regularly.
- Clean hair care products regularly and do not share them.
- Use an anti-lice shampoo.
- If nothing works, consult a doctor.
- Don’t use same wears with the person with lice.
- Avoid head contract.
Just by following few of these tips and techniques you can easily get rid of head lice and can make your children feel better.