Almost one-in-four people, 90% of which are females, experience the appearance of cellulite on their bodies, usually on the hips and thighs. Cellulite is basically a collection of fats that gets deposited under the subcutaneous layer of the skin. This layer of the skin has numerous connective tissues in which the fats and fluids get settled. The skin appears bumpy because these fats push against the connective tissues which in turn cause the skin above it to get hardened, giving it a dimpled and cracked appearance.
Cellulite is genetic; it occurs normally due to hormonal changes in the body or due to excessive harmful toxins. Although cellulite isn’t harmful, most people want to get rid of it because of its disgusting “cottage-cheese” or “orange peel” like appearance. This kind of appearance is common in areas such as thighs, hips, buttocks, underarms, and around the stomach. Cellulite can become worse within a short span of time if left unaddressed.
Thankfully, treating cellulite isn’t that difficult nowadays – you just have to change your eating habits, dressing and focus more on exercise. Besides that, there are other steps you can take to get rid of the cellulite problem naturally by changing your overall lifestyle. Let’s take a look at some of these natural ways to get rid of cellulite forever:
20. Drink Water
Drinking plenty of water is the first and foremost tip to get rid of cellulite. Make a routine of drinking at least 8 glasses of water every day; drink one glass especially in the morning before breakfast. Drinking water keeps your body hydrated for a long time and helps remove the toxins from your body. This in turn gives your skin a healthy glow.
19. Improve Your Diet
Another great way to get rid of cellulite is to improve your eating habits. Consume more fruits and green vegetables. Avoid eating too much junk food as it will only make your cellulite worse. Instead, try to eat foods that are organic, without any artificial flavors and colors. Such foods do not contain a great amount of pesticides. Eating healthy foods will make your cellulite disappear in no time.
18. Dry Skin Brushing
It may sound a little odd but brushing your skin definitely helps reduce cellulite to a significant level. We know that the main cause of cellulite is the high level of toxins in your body. Most of these toxins lie just beneath the skin. So, the best solution is to scrub the affected areas of the skin with a dry brush.
You just have to buy a dry skin brush from a bath and body store. Make sure that the brush has thin bristles made with natural fibers – preferably plant or vegetable derived. Before brushing, make sure that both the brush and your skin are dry, so the best time is before taking a shower. You can do this once daily or even twice a day only for about 5 minutes. Always gently brush towards the heart – start from the feet, moving up the legs on both the sides including your thighs, and then do the same starting from your arms up towards your shoulders and chest. While brushing, you should focus more on the areas that have the most cellulite. Finally, take a shower to wash the impurities and dead skin cells.
Brushing towards the heart enhances blood circulation, cell renewal and also promotes tighter skin. This technique also removes the extra toxins in the upper layer of the skin which eliminates the appearance of cellulite. If you follow this tip for a few months, you’ll notice improvement in your skin texture with a glowing and smooth complexion.
17. Switch To Sea Salt
Taking too much table salt might be another reason of having cellulite. Usually, processed salt is acidic which means that it increases the level of toxins in the body. Moreover, table salt dries out the skin which leads to various skin issues such as cellulite. So, it’s better to switch to sea salt because it makes your body more alkaline. In this way, the toxins that lead to cellulite are more rapidly removed from the body.
16. Eat Gelatin
It is said that consuming gelatin helps improve cellulite problem and since we don’t include foods in our diet that contain gelatin, the problem of cellulite is increasing day by day. Gelatin consists of specific amino acids that are extremely useful for skin, hair and nail growth, and also for weight regulation and for our immune system to work properly. These amino acids are typically found in the bones and organs of animals that we don’t consume much. This is why gelatin is also known to be good for joints and it also improves the digestive system.
15. Tangerine Oil
Another natural way to get rid of cellulite in thighs is to use tangerine oil. This oil is great for increasing the blood flow, thus breaking down the extra fat and cellulite. It is also good for detoxification of the body.
- To boost your metabolism and reduce cellulite, drink tangerine oil daily by adding two to three drops of this oil to a glass of warm water.
- You can also add four to five drops of this oil to 1 tablespoon of olive oil and massage it gently on the affected area of the skin for 10-15 minutes. Don’t go in the sun for at least an hour after applying this oil.
14. Coffee Scrub
Using coarse coffee grounds as an exfoliating scrub is also a very useful technique to get rid of cellulite. Massaging with coffee grounds removes dead skin cells and stimulates the growth of healthy new cells. It also stimulates the blood flow and has a tightening effect for skin as well.
- Take ¼ cup of coffee grounds, 2-3 tablespoons of melted coconut oil and 3 tablespoons of sugar or brown sugar. Mix all these ingredients well together to form a paste. Apply a little bit of this paste on the affected area of the skin and firmly massage for several minutes. Wash with lukewarm water afterwards. Use this remedy two to three times a week.
- You can also make a wrap of olive oil and coffee. Take half cup of coffee grounds and mix with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil. Heat the mixture in a microwave for 20 seconds. Next, apply the warm mixture on the affected area and wrap that area with a plastic. Leave it there for at least 30 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water. Follow this twice a week until you get the desired results.
13. Detox Baths
Nothing can be more relaxing than a warm bath, or rather a warm relaxing detox bath that also deep cleanses the body. A detox bath is incredibly great for the skin as it not only helps remove the build-up toxins in the body, but also tend to make you tired, so it’s better to do it before going to bed. Given below are some detox bath recipes that are easy, simple and totally inexpensive:
- Clay detox bath: Take half cup of bentonite clay, half cup of espom salts and any of the essential oils if required. In a warm water bath, mix the espom salts and add the essential oils as per your desire. Now for the clay you have two options. You can either mix the clay in a small amount of water with a plastic spoon until the clusters get dissolved to a certain extent, and add this mixture to the warm bath and soak yourself for 20 minutes. Or you can mix the clay in water to make a paste and while standing in the tub, rub that mixture over your body to make a skin mask and let it dry for 5 minutes. This will pull out the toxins from your skin effectively. After that, soak yourself in the warm water for at least 20 minutes and while soaking, use a cloth to scrub any clay left on the skin.
- Oxygen detox bath: Take 2 cups of Hydrogen peroxide and 1 tablespoon of dried ginger powder and add these ingredients to a tub full of warm water. Soak in the tub for at least 30 minutes. This detox bath will help eliminate any kind of illness since ginger helps in alleviating body aches and congestion. It is also helpful for skin allergies and irritation.
- Salt detox bath: Take ¼ cup of sea salt or Himalayan salt, ¼ cup of espom salt, ¼ cup of baking soda, 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar and an essential oil as desired. Add sea salt, espom salt and baking soda in hot water in a jar and keep it aside. Next, add apple cider vinegar in a tub full of warm water and then pour the salt mixture and add a few drops of the desired essential oil. Soak in for about 30 minutes. You’ll feel tired and relaxed when you get out. This detox bath is amazing for soothing all kinds of skin irritations.
Seaweed works as an exfoliating agent, improving blood flow and skin texture and washes out the dormant toxins from the body.
- It is good to take seaweed baths to reduce cellulite. Fill your bath tub with lukewarm water and add four sheets of seaweed in it. Immerse yourself in it for about 20 minutes. Follow this at least two times in a week to get the desired results.
- Alternatively, take 3 tablespoons of ground seaweed, ¼ cup each of extra virgin olive oil and sea salt, and a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Mix all these ingredients together and apply the mixture on the affected area. Massage gently for 10-15 minutes before taking a shower. Apply a good moisturizer after showering. Use this remedy once everyday for a couple of weeks.
11. Body Massage
It is said that “myofascial body massage” or “myofascial release” is good for getting rid of cellulite. It is a type of massage that smoothes the layer of the connective tissue below the skin, known as superficial fascia, in which cellulite is formed. This massage also helps eliminates joint and muscle problems related to unevenness in the fascia.
10. Cayenne Pepper
Regular intake of cayenne pepper helps reduce the harmful toxins form the body which in turn helps in the removal of cellulite. Cayenne pepper enhances metabolism and blood flow in the body. It also helps get rid of dead skin cells and stimulates the growth of new healthy cells.
9. Kettle Bell Workouts
Another good way to get rid of cellulite is to do kettle bell workouts. These workouts are one of the best and the most effective ways to burn extra fat and build muscle, which in turn reduces the appearance of cellulite on thighs.
8. Juniper Oil
- Add 10-15 drops of juniper oil to ¼ cup of olive oil and mix them well together. Apply the mixture on the affected area of the skin and massage gently for 10 minutes. Follow this twice every day and you’ll find your skin soft and more firm after a month.
7. Use Natural Moisturizers
Just like detox baths, natural moisturizers are also helpful in reducing toxin deposits in the skin. Avoid using the chemically processed moisturizers available in the market; rather moisturize your skin naturally using honey, coconut or olive oil as these natural moisturizers are really effective in keeping your skin toxin-free and smooth as well.
6. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 fatty acids are required by the body for the repair and strengthening of smooth skin and tissues. Consuming a significant amount of omega-3 fatty acids helps eliminate cellulite problem. These fatty acids are also important for many other functions in the human body. Foods that are rich in these fatty acids include salmon, which is rich in antioxidants and helps break down the fat cells in cellulite. You can also take cod liver oil daily which is extremely beneficial for healthy skin.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Since apple cider vinegar contain minerals, calcium, potassium and magnesium, it is very effective in getting rid of cellulite. These elements are essential in removing the harmful toxins from your body. Apple cider vinegar also helps in weight loss and thus less fat means few pockets of cellulite.
4. Hormonal Balance
Imbalance in the hormones plays a vital role in the formation of cellulite. This is the reason why mostly women are affected by it. Therefore, working towards maintaining balance in your hormonal function is important and can effectively help reduce cellulite.
3. Green clay
Green clay is considered to be extremely effective in reducing cellulite appearance. This is because green clay helps stimulate blood flow; it removes the dead cells in the skin, absorbs fats and impurities, and repairs and maintains the connective tissues in the skin.
- Take half cup each of green clay and seaweed, ¼ cup of fresh lime juice, 1 tablespoon of organic honey and 3 tablespoons of hot water. Mix all these ingredients together to form a thick paste. Apply the smooth paste on the affected area of the skin. Rub gently in circular motions for 10 minutes and cover the area with a plastic wrap. Leave it for at least 30 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
Cellulite problem can be solved by daily workout or exercise. Usually, professional women who work 8-9 hours a day sitting at their desk are more likely to be affected by cellulite. This is because sitting in one position continuously for hours prevents enough blood flow to the bottom area and thighs. Thus, it is important especially for working women to walk around for a few minutes at any time of the day. This will allow the blood to flow through the troublesome areas of the body and will prevent problems such as cellulite.
1. Ivy Leaves
Using ivy leaves is another good tip for eliminating cellulite. Fresh ivy leaves enhances blood flow and are also helpful in removing the excessive fat from underneath the skin.
- Pour half liter of olive oil in a dark bottle. Add 10-20 fresh ivy leaves, around 10-15 drops of rosemary oil and some drops of lemon juice. Keep the bottle in a hot and dark place for 40 days. Apply the mixture on the affected skin area daily and leave overnight for the result.
Following the above mentioned natural techniques and treatments, you will be able to get rid of cellulite forever and show off your well-toned thighs and legs in any dress you want!
Apart from these treatments, there are some do’s and don’ts that you should follow when treating cellulite problem:
- Always use warm water when treating cellulite since using hot water will only make your cellulite even worse.
- Eat foods that have a high content of water in it like melons, bananas and cucumbers.
- Drink green tea because it helps boost metabolism.
- Avoid eating too much salt and sugar.
- Do not drink too many soft drinks and beverages.
- Don’t forget to drink water.