It is also referred to as Willis-Ekbom Disease and results due to malfunctioning in the neurological process. Millions of people are the victims of such a disorder. Following sensations in the legs are felt:
Sometimes there is also an uncontrollable urge to move the feet. Under such circumstances, relief is attained if the legs are moved.
The sensations range from uncomfortable to irritating to painful. If untreated people suffering from such a syndrome may experience exhaustion and fatigue during the day time. There is also difficulty in attaining sleep.
The symptoms such as pains and aches are most severely felt when the person is lying or sitting down. The occurrence of this is more common in women than in men.
Despite the intensity of pain, the following home remedies would help in easing the symptoms of the disorder to a great magnitude.
“By following the above said remedies, you would surely attain a peaceful mind. You would also be able to accomplish the required optimal sleeping hours – a necessitate factor contributing to healthy functionality of mind and body.”
Top 27 Home Remedies to Restless Legs Syndrome
Keeping a proper diet helps to attain peaceful sleep. Therefore, it is essential to maintain a healthy diet and ensure that none of the meals are missed. Alcohol consumption should be kept at a minimum as it can aggregate the existing situation. Plus it can contribute to other negative aspects.
- The intake of caffeine containing beverages should also be kept at a minimum as it can cause sleep deprivation.
- Junk food should be avoided as much as possible.
- You can snack with a healthy food. A healthy diet promotes a healthy mind and a healthy body.
Amongst the vast array of benefits that yoga brings along, it also brings benefits to people suffering from Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS). Yoga involves a combination of practices related to breathing control, meditation and adapting the body to varied bodily postures. According to a survey, people suffering from RLS experience less RLS associated symptoms when they practice yoga.
- The concentration of stress is also sharply reduced.
- The results are best effective when yoga is performed early in the morning in a room where there is proper ventilation or outside on a lawn.
- The duration would be varied depending upon the various activities involved but normally varies between 20 to 45 minutes.
25. Take A Bath
Take a warm bath.
- Add salts for greater effect.
- The muscles of the body would therefore be greatly relaxed and sensation of tranquility would be attained.
- A massage before going to bed also produces similar results.
24. Change Your Temperature
Varying your temperature can also produce effective results. This could be done by changing from hot to cold and the vice versa.
- Use a heating pad on your legs. The duration could be from 5 to 10 minutes.
- A cool towel could be placed over the legs for the same time duration as above.
- Dip your feet in a bucket of cold water.
The practice of even one of the above techniques at a time is sure to bring comfort and peace.
23. Bedtime Routine
Adapting the body to a routine is one of the finest solution to dealing with problems of RLS. It’s basically an approach involving the mind to condition to the hours of sleep.
- This is to ensure that the person does not remain in the bed awake for a long time before falling asleep.
- The moment the clock strikes 11 p.m. or 12p.m, go to your bed. The hours may vary person to person.
- This way the mind and the body would be prepared that the hour for sleep has approached.
22. Reduce As Much Stress As Possible
Here, I know you would be cringing your face saying that nobody takes stress by their own sweet will. Well, there are a certain measures that could be undertaken to ensure that the levels of stress are reduced.
- Keeping stress to the minimum ensures that the symptoms of Restless Legs Syndrome are not exacerbated.
- This could be effectively performed by engaging oneself into a hobby that helps in easing your levels of stress.
- Yoga, meditation and visualization are equally effective.
21. Use Muscle Rubs
Over-the-counter muscle rubs are very effective in relaxing the muscles, improving the blood flow and promoting comfort. It is most effective if done on a regular basis before going to bed.
20. Chamomile Tea
The consumption of chamomile tea induces sleep hence it is an effective measure. It is also tasty – surely a plus point!
- Place one teaspoon of dried chamomile leaves into a cup.
- Pour hot water into the cup.
- Allow infusion for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Strain the mixture into another cup.
- Add few drops of lemon.
- Add half a tea spoon of honey.
- Stir and then it’s ready to drink.
“By practicing the above said remedies, you would attain the desired result immediately. None of the measures have any associated side effects. You could recommend these measures to your family and friends, who would not only be impressed by your vast knowledge but would also thank you for helping them out of their misery.”
19. Avoid Heavy Meals Close To Bedtime
A popular saying goes like: “have breakfast like a king, lunch like a rich person and dinner like a pauper”
Well, it holds a lot of truth. One must ensure that dinners are not heavy. Avoid fried foods. This is to ensure that you easily get sleep and not spend restless hours turning in the bed trying to get some sleep.
18. Wear Socks To Bed
The people suffering from RLS tend to have cold feet – literally I mean! Therefore, it is wise to wrap your feet around fabric to prevent it from experiencing lower temperature than normal. This would also promote a sound sleep. The connection, however, has not been understood but it is always wise to take precautionary measures.
17. Get Moving During Lunch Time
Sitting hours could be stressful especially when you are on an office break, nibbling on a sad soggy sandwich. The best approach here is to eat while you walk. Your restlessness would be eased to a great extent as it would act as a distractive measure.
16. Jogging On The Spot
Don’t care what people might think of you, start jogging on the spot whenever you feel discomfort in your legs.
- This would help ease you existing restless situation.
- 4 to 6 minutes of jogging would do the trick.
15. Rood Trips
Rood trips could be long and hectic. Under such circumstances, restlessness gets enhanced and an uncontrollable urge to move around dawns upon you. So, stop tormenting yourself and take frequent brakes while driving the car or even when being a passenger.
- Take a stroll.
- This would immensely help with your situation and would promote greater peace.
Exercise is a great way to dealing with RLS.
- According to a study, it has been found out that people who exercise for a time span of 40 to 60 minutes experience less fatigue and pain. Also, better sleeping habits are attained.
- The exercise does not have to be intense and for people beginning their exercising schedule for the first time, it is better if they begin with activity time of 10 to 15 minutes.
- This is to ensure that the body is gradually prepared. It needs not to be forced beyond its capacity.
13. Sleep Environment
Certain measures could be taken to ensure that the sleeping environment is free from any distractions.
- Remove digital clocks and any devices that glow light.
- Use thick drapes to prevent street lights from being a source of distraction.
- Use soft comfortable linens to promote a more peaceful sleep.
12. Increase Vitamins Intake
The symptoms of RLS could be due to deficiency of certain vitamins in the body. It may be due to vitamin B, folic acid, iron, and magnesium deficiency. To determine the exact vitamin deficiency, it is essential that you take a blood test. Therefore, according to the proven vitamin deficiency, dietary supplements could be taken. It is essential that you consult a doctor before taking any dietary supplements. There are also certain foods from where essential minerals and vitamins can be obtained from. However, it should be noted that folic acid deficiency could not be restored with foods. Folic acid supplements are vital. Therefore, they cannot be a substitute to the dietary supplements but could be taken side by side.
Foods rich in folic acid
- Dried beans
- Citrus fruit and juice
Foods rich in magnesium
- Dark leafy greens
- Dried fruit
- Whole grains
It should be kept in mind that over consumption of such foods should not occur as it can cause diarrhea.
Foods rich in Iron
These would include the following:
- Dried fruits such as apricots and raisins
- Red meat
- Dark leafy green vegetables such as spinach
It also helps in overcoming anemia.
These would include the following:
It should be noted that the consumption of such foods should be kept at a minimum to ensure that cholesterol level does not rise. This thing should be kept under scrutiny especially for adults.
Note: If you are pregnant ask your doctor before taking the supplements. The doctor might hold you off until after the baby is born.
It has been told again and again to abstain from the horrible habit of smoking.
- People suffering from RLS should be especially cautious in ensuring that the deleterious element is kept far away from you as much as possible.
- Smoking aggregates the symptoms of RLS – making you feel even more jittery and tense.
- Therefore, its complete cut down is absolutely essential.
Sometimes, medications that you are taking might aggregate your existing condition of RLS.
- Insomnia might be resulted or greater stress might be inflicted upon your muscles.
- Therefore, it is essential that you review your medications with your doctor.
9. The Home Stretch
Whenever you are experiencing a strong urge to move your legs, start rubbing them. You could also stretch them, making sure that your toes are pointed during the process. All this will send signals to the brain which in turn will help in curbing the strange tingling sensations. You could also massage your legs by sitting at the edge of the bed. This would promote greater stimulation for the legs. Be sure that you stop immediately when you experience leg cramps – this being an indication of magnesium deficiency.
If you do not get any relief despite going through the above stated measures, then you could walk around the house. Take long steps and bend your legs to promote enhanced muscle stretch.
8. Muscle Relaxation
It is a very effective technique employed in patients dealing with RLS. The steps involved in this process are as follow:
- Take a deep breath.
- Tense muscles in your feet.
- Hold this tension for a few seconds.
- Tense muscles in the calf.
- Hold and then relax.
- Tense your thigh muscles.
- Hold and relax.
Continue with this pattern of tension and relaxation, gradually moving to upper regions of the body – the neck and the face muscles.
After completing the entire process of tension and relaxation, you would surely be comforted and relaxed.
“I am sure you would be content with the information that has been brought to you and these remedial approaches would bring you the comfort that you had been searching for, for a long time.”
7. Exercise Your Brain
Sitting still triggers the symptoms of RLS. This may be when you are sitting in front of the television or are sitting at a bench in the park. Therefore it is essential that you indulge in some mind activities to avoid the eruption of RLS associated symptoms. Solving puzzles, reading an interesting story book, playing a video game; are some of the ways via which the mind can be distracted.
6. Enjoying Time With Friends
One of the best approach in attaining peace is by hanging out with friends. You could scope up plans and do various activities together. This may include:
- Eating out
- Going to a concert
- Have a spa treatment
- Watching movies
Even a simple chat would brew positive results and would keep you distracted from stressful elements of life for some time.
5. Appropriate Area Of Sitting
It would be wise if you sit on the seat near the aisle when travelling on an airplane or in a movie theatre. This is to ensure that you have ample space to stretch your legs – when situation demands it and can get up easily if severity in symptoms are felt.
4. Deep Breathing
Stress created as a result of Restless Stress Syndrome can be effectively released by breathing deeply. This practice is best effective if performed outdoors during the morning hours. This helps in clearing up the mind and the brain also gets a break from the strenuous daily routine. It’s a proven fact that such a method accomplishes the purpose and promotes greater peace.
3. Listening To Music
Listening to music also relaxes the person to a great extent.
- It also acts as a measure to temporarily distract the person from the stress that the person might be suffering from.
- However, it is essential that the music is not played at a high volume or for longer periods of time.
2. Watching A Movie
Watching a movie greatly reduces your levels of stress.
- Violent movies should be avoided.
- Comedy and romantic movies are the most preferred types.
- Longer periods of distraction would also be attained by such means.
1. Turning Off
It is essential that the individual does not watch anything on the television or work on the computer just before going off to sleep. Therefore, experts suggest that bedrooms should be deprived of the availability of computers and televisions.
- Make a routine to exercise regularly.
- Attain doctor’s advice before starting on the dietary supplements.
- Eat regular meals.
- Keep a healthy diet.
- Do not exceed the recommended dosage of dietary supplements.
- Do not smoke.
- Limit alcohol consumption.