Morning sickness is one form of health issue that is also known as nausea gravidarum, emesis gravidarum, nausea/vomiting of pregnancy (NVP) or kind of pregnancy sickness. It is a condition that affects almost 60% of the pregnant women. In this condition woman feels vomiting and nausea. She also feels tired and dull almost all the time. Ladies who use contraceptive pills might also face this kind of sickness.
A typical morning sickness happens early in the morning and slowly improves in the coming hours. As compared to its name, many experts say that it can occur at any time of the day. The form of nausea can be mild or severe to induce vomiting. Some symptoms of this sickness get so severe that the woman feels dehydrated, alkalosis (Blood acidity level drops), will lose weight and hypokalemia (Blood potassium drops). When symptoms get severe the condition is called hyperemesis gravidarum and develops in 1% of pregnant ladies. According to a study, 28% of women may feel nausea without vomiting.
This sickness happens latest in the 6th week of pregnancy, but in some cases it may occur even before that. For many ladies, these symptoms can be the very first symptom of being pregnant. Studies have shown that morning sickness comes to an end after 12 week but for some women the symptoms of morning sickness persist for the whole pregnancy.
Morning sickness symptoms are something that a patient reports and feel while a sign is something that other people notice. The most common symptoms of morning symptoms are:
- Severe nausea and vomiting.
- Passing little amount of urine.
- Cannot keep away from the liquid.
- Urine is darker in color.
- Feeling fatigue.
- May vomit blood.
- May faint when stand up.
- Heart palpitation.
A pregnant woman is so likely to develop the problem of morning sickness. However, the risk factor may get severe:
- The woman has experienced morning sickness in her previous pregnancy.
- Before her pregnancy, the woman has gone through nausea or vomiting due to motion sickness, annoying smells, migraines or birth control pills.
- The woman is expecting a surprising twin, triplets, quads etc.
Studies have not shown any specific factor that causes morning sickness. Most experts agree that hormonal changes are the most common factor that causes morning sickness.
- Estrogen Level: Morning sickness may occur due to the increase in the circulatory level of estrogen hormone. Estrogen levels in a pregnant woman increases 100 times as compare to a normal woman.
- Hypoglycemia: When the placenta is draining energy from mother’s body the blood sugar drops and causes morning sickness.
- Progesterone Level: While a woman is pregnant her progesterone level also increases. Increased level of this hormone relaxes the muscles of uterus and controls early childbirth. Its increased level may also cause this kind of sickness.
- Sense of Smell: During pregnancy a woman’s sense of smell increase and sometimes annoy her lot that may cause nausea and vomiting.
These factors usually cause sickness that disturbs the health and environment of a pregnant lady. The treatment for pregnant ladies is usually very limited, as she cannot take a lot of medications. But a few worth health tips morning sickness remedies must be tried to get rid of this problem:
- Rest – The most important factor that has to be followed to eliminate nausea and vomiting, so get plenty of rest.
- Food – Eat healthy and natural. Avoid food high is sugar and oil as they may cause health issues.
- Liquids – Liquids should be taken in fewer amounts but frequently. This may help reduce the problem of vomiting and nausea.
- Stomach – Pregnant ladies should always avoid being an empty stomach.
- Home Remedies – There are a few very effective home remedies that can be followed carefully to get rid of this annoying problem during pregnancy.
Let us have a look at some amazing and effective natural home remedies that cause no side effect and you can surely combat the problem of morning sickness.
Crackers are one amazing food that is light on the stomach and they are very helpful in eliminating the feeling of nausea or vomiting. It is a very useful day to start your day with a consumption of 2-3 crackers during the first few months of your pregnancy. Eat a few crackers throughout the day to combat the problem of morning sickness and also before going to bed.
Make a habit of keeping crackers, salty biscuits, popcorns or whole wheat crackers beside your bed or in your purse, as you need them on a frequent basis and will be quite handy.
14. Potato Chips
Potato chips are usually considered as house fat and carbs but for pregnant women it is just one perfect solution of morning sickness. They should not feel guilty while having them. Their craving for potato chips should be entertained anytime. Eating a few potato chips can be easy on your stomach and really help if you’re feeling nauseous.
Consumption of potato chips can lessen the problem of nausea due to some over-production of saliva. The salt present in the chips helps dry and reduce the saliva that causes vomiting and nausea. Do not over indulge your craving; take a few chips to help keep the sickness away. If you are diet conscious you can have some non-fat variety of chips.
13. Fennel Seeds
The aromatic fragrance of fennel seeds can calm the uneasiness of stomach. It has licorice taste that reduces the problem of nausea and vomiting and gives a fast and effective relief from morning sickness. Its anesthetic property helps reduce nausea and calms down dizziness. So don’t hesitate to use fennel seeds if you’re feeling morning sickness symptoms.
- Take one teaspoon of fennel seeds and chew them raw after every meal. This will help in the digestion process of pregnant ladies.
- You can also try some fennel seed tea. Take about one cup of boiling water and add a teaspoon of fennel seeds.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, strain and drink.
- Mix honey to add flavor.
- Drink this tea whenever you are feeling uncomfortable due to sickness.
12. Vitamin B6
A number of experts and physicians recommend intake of vitamin B6 supplements during morning sickness. The usual dose should not be more than 25 mg three times a day, just to combat the problem of nausea and vomiting. Other than supplements naturally enriched vitamin B6 foods must also be tried such as meat, fish, poultry, nuts, lentils and some of the vegetables and fruits. These foods can be consumed as a part of savory dishes or can be taken as salads or juices. Always keep your diet simple and healthy and go for natural products as they might not throw any side effect.
11. Lavender And Thyme
The sense of smell of a pregnant woman becomes more strong and pronounced. Odors and smell that didn’t bother you before can now feel you helpless and annoyed. The most common smells that annoy are of dirty laundry, some foods, fragrances, perfumes and many others. To battle this problem you can keep a satchel filled with some dried herbs such as lavender and thyme. These both herbs have an appealing smell and give a soothing effect. A scented handkerchief with some lemon extract can also work amazingly well to eliminate nausea and vomiting. Keep these handy satchels near your nose and breathe in deeply so that the fragrance enters your nose and will sooth you sour stomach. So make sure to use them if you’re feeling nauseous.
The anesthetic aroma of mint helps in reducing nausea and vomiting. It also reduces the stomach’s gag reflex. It has some amazing antioxidant properties that help to flush away all sorts of toxins out of the body and refreshes the blood by providing proper oxygen to the mind and the heart. Mint coolers and mint tea can be tried to stop any sort of nausea attack. All these amazing qualities make it one of the best morning sickness remedies.
- To make a mint cooler, take a few leaves of mint and add them to a glass of child cooled water.
- Add a few slices of lemon along with a teaspoon of honey to add some flavor.
- Drink this 2 times daily to refresh yourself.
- To make mint tea, take few leaves of fresh mint and add them to a cup of boiling water.
- Steep for 10 minutes and drink it while warm.
- This drink helps to clear out all sorts of toxins out of the stomach and you will surely feel better after drinking this.
A dehydrated expected mother can be a victim of nausea and vomiting. It is always recommended to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water in order to keep you fresh and hydrated. Pregnant ladies should keep a bottle of cool fresh water whenever traveling or while sitting at home; it should always be in their reach. Water is a natural hydrant and it keeps all toxins away from your body. There is a very popular tip regarding water, drinking cold water can keep your fresh, and drinking before a meal will keep your stomach fuller, keeping you smart and healthier. In simple morning sickness remedies, water is at the top of the list.
8. Bael Juice
It is a very effective treatment if you’re feeling morning sickness symptoms. Bael is an amazing fruit that has similar properties to apple. It is also known as wood apple or stone apple and is native to India. The fruit is either eaten fresh or in the dried form. Its juice is also extracted and strained to give a drink that is similar to lemonade. It can be made into a refreshing drink that be used as a welcome drink for your guests. Besides this, it is very useful for pregnant women encountering morning sickness and it also helps in good digestion and prevents stubborn constipation.
- Extra juice of the bael fruit and add about 4-5 tablespoons of it to a bowl of cooked or boiled rice.
- Eat this dish at least one daily to prevent mild sickness and in case of heavy sickness eat this 3 times daily.
Pickle is a form of relish that contains vegetables preserved in oil or vinegar. These are soaked to avoid spoilage and to give an amazing and unique taste to the preserved vegetables. The traditional South Asian pickles have a tangy taste that makes it amazingly tasty and that will certainly help expected mothers to survive the morning sickness. It also provides some very important vitamin and minerals and being an antioxidant it will keep you away from any sort of toxins. The irresistible taste of pickle will help you combat nausea and vomiting that troubles most of the expecting ladies.
- Add a few teaspoons of pickle with your regular diet.
- If you’re feeling nauseous, just suck up a few pieces of pickled mango or lemon.
During pregnancy, it is recommended to eat a lot of proteins in order to regulate the blood sugar level. Many studies have found that eating some protein-filled foods can help you to overcome the problem of morning sickness such as vomiting, nausea and dizziness. It is very useful especially when you are craving for some carbohydrates.
Eating cheese can make you feel good, as you may feel like vomiting from eating something else very annoying. Some variety of cheese can be tried such as cottage, cheddar or mozzarella. Try these simple steps if you’re feeling morning sickness symptoms.
- Toss some cottage cheese cubes in a bowl of fresh salad.
- Try some cheese slice on a slice of bread or cracker.
- Or indulge with just eating plain cheese.
5. Peppermint Gum Or Essential Oil
A peppermint has a very nice anesthetic effect that can sooth and calms the trouble in the stomach along with reducing the severe results of vomiting and nausea. This is why peppermint is considered to be one of the most effective morning sickness remedies.
- Always keep a pack of peppermint gum near you such as your side drawers, kitchen cabinets and purse. Eating this gum will reduce the effects of nausea and vomiting and will relax your upset stomach.
- You can also try adding a few drops of peppermint essential oil on a piece of cloth and inhale the soothing smell.
Ginger is one of the natural foods that contain some amazing chemicals such as gingerols and shogaols. These chemicals help combat nausea and vomiting during pregnancy. It also prevents from having an upset stomach and helps in proper digestion. So make sure to use ginger if you’re feeling nauseous for quick recovery.
Quick link = Benefits of ginger
- Take a tablespoon full of honey and add about 5-6 drops of ginge4r juice. This mixture will help relief the problem of nausea and vomiting.
- Add some grated ginger in boiling water and cook till the quantity is half. Add a teaspoon of honey for flavor and drink this tea daily to avoid morning sickness.
- Sucking and chewing a small piece of ginger will also help combat this early morning problem.
3. Curry Leaves
A mixture of curry leaves juice, sugar and lime juice can work as an amazing Ayurvedic medicine. This Ayurvedic mixture can help treat the problem of nausea and vomiting along with soothing the harshness of the stomach.
- Extract the juice of 15-20 curry leaves by placing them on the sieve.
- Add two teaspoons of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of sugar or honey and mix well.
- Drink this mixture at least twice daily.
High-protein foods such as nuts and peanut butter can help reduce the sickening effects of nausea and vomiting. These nuts can be consumed all along or can be mixed with some liquid to form a soothing drink. The quantity of the nuts and peanut butter should be kept consistent so that it may not give adverse effects to the stomach.
- Take 5-6 hazel, cashew or walnuts nuts and add them to a glass of milk.
- Blend them together and add a teaspoon of honey.
- Have a glass of this mixture whenever you feel nausea or vomiting.
Lemon is considered number one citric fruit to combat nausea and vomiting. Due to its tangy flavor it solves a soothing effect to the stomach and solves many problems such as indigestion and constipation. It effectively reduce morning sickness symptoms and give you a fresh feeling.
- While you are feeling nausea, mix one teaspoon of lemon juice with a teaspoon of mint juice along with half a teaspoon of ginger juice and honey. Take this mixture 2-3 times daily.
- Alternatively, add a tablespoon of lemon juice and mix it with a teaspoon of mint juice and sugar. Consume this mixture at least 2-3 times every day.
- Squeeze in a full fresh lemon in a glass of water and drink it whenever you feel nausea.
- Smelling lemon and tasting its zest or lemon itself can reduce the problem of nausea.
- Never take a risk with your pregnancy, in case of severe circumstances always consult your doctor.
- Always try to have fresh and natural ingredients, as they give best possible and positive results.
- When using any foods as a home remedy, always keep the quantity consistent, as increases quantity may not give favorable results and may cause some problems.
- Never eat anything old or rotten out of the fridge, this may cause stomach problem along with severe vomiting and nausea.
- Take plenty of rest to avoid this morning problem.
- Avoid too much of oily and spicy foods.
- Always get up slowly. Don’t put yourself in a hurry and take a time to get up from the bed.
- Have food but in small portions.
- Keep yourself busy in some light physical activities to keep yourself active.
- Keep yourself hydrated with lots of water and fresh juices.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothes, as tight clothing may cause the problem of nausea.
- Sniff fresh scents and fragrances. Don’t go for intense and strong scents.
Quick link = Benefits of lemon water