When you stand all day and as you retire on your bed at the end of the day you see an obvious bulge on your ankles. Your feet and ankles are swollen and you just want to relax and feel better. But this could take more than just relaxing because there are different causes of swollen feet. It could be a cause of some renal disorders or sodium retention. With different other symptoms like pitting edema there is an absolute indication of any liver, kidney or heart disease. And when the skin gets bluish accompanied with chest pain, shortness of breath and swollen feet one must not delay in rushing to the emergency ward.
These were different causes for swollen feet and certain conditions in which swollen feet give an indication for any underlying disorder. Swollen feet during pregnancy are also common. But here we will provide with the remedies that could be done at home to treat the swollen feet effectively.
“Your swollen feet that are painful will no more be the same with these home remedies provided.”
10. Lifting The Legs Higher
While you’re standing all day on your feet, there is a good chance that your feet pool up with edema. Edema is the accumulation of body fluid in the body cavities or tissues. So, the best way to avoid or reduce it is by
- Lifting the feet after intervals
- Or when you sit keep your feet on an elevated surface or a pillow in the evening or whenever
Much of it is due the gravitational pull. Many pregnant women are also recommended to sit with elevated feed or wear tight socks to avoid the pooling as much as possible. It will significantly cure swollen feet and ankles.
9. Epsom Salt Immersion
Epsom salt brings many benefits within itself. Its composition is magnesium sulphate which absorbs through the skin and also helps with better circulation of blood. Many doctors recommend salt dissolved in luke warm water as it gives a soothing effect to the pain. If you’re experiencing swollen feet during pregnancy, this simple method is really effective.
- One can go about by dissolving some salt in the bathwater.
- Or if you just want to use a little water, you can soak your feet in a small tub of luke warm water and feel the pain release out of your swollen ankles and calves.
You can even do this on daily basis before going to bed as it helps to get better sleep and moreover the feet also smell better.
8. Foot Massage
With long tiring days at work sitting or standing, feet tend get swelled up. It even occurs during the hectic long international flights when you have to sit in more or less in the similar posture for lengthy hours. During all this time the blood circulation gets very slow in the lower extremities therefore one can
- Enhance the blood flow by having a good professional massage after the flight lands
- While another option and a cheaper one is to do it at home staring with the ankles and toes going up to the knees and back.
This could be very soothing for swollen feet and ankles if done with chamomile or lavender oil. Consistent foot massage can be useful in healing the cracked feet as well.
7. Water Intake
Dehydration an issue which nobody pays attention to is the basic reason behind many problems. The reason here what causes feet to swell is the retention of water by the body as a protective mechanism due to dehydration. Our body naturally plays a role to protect itself in order to function properly. So, when there is a lot of dehydration occurring as the body is not getting the required amount of water, it starts reserving the already present water, hence causing swelling. Proper water intake is also very important in healing swollen feet during pregnancy.
- To avoid such swellings, one must drink at least 12-16 glasses of water per day.
- To make it more beneficial adding a slice of lemon with ginger can make the water act as an anti-inflammatory agent.
“Help your exhausted and swollen feet relax and free of any swelling by trying the tips given.”
Swimming is an amazing exercise for every age group. Apart from being a healthy exercise it is also good way to provide relaxation to the body. This relaxing exercise can help to reduce the pooled up blood in the lower extremities by helping the blood circulation better there. So ,swimming can be very effective treatment for swollen feet and ankles.
- While you swim the weight of your body is lifted from your feet and they are relaxed providing a relief to them
- Even if one doesn’t want to swim full lengths, one can just sit and relax while paddling in the pool.
5. Compression Stockings Or Socks
Many pregnant ladies are recommended to wear compression stockings or socks during their period of pregnancy. While the period of pregnancy there is a lot of pooling of blood taking place in the limbs particularly in the lower limbs. One can’t even fit into her shoes properly and there is also a chance of developing varicose veins for good. So compression stockings can be very effective for swollen feet during pregnancy.
- Hence compression hose or socks are recommended by the doctors to the patient who will take some pressure off the extremities and keep them tight avoiding any pooling of blood.
- While some people who have a profession where long periods of standing or sitting is required like teaching or air crew, they also go for compression hose in order to avoid any swelling of the feet.
4. Taking Less Sodium And Caffeine
Sodium is another factor besides caffeine that causes water retention in the body. More sodium, more is the water retention. Sodium makes the fluid more concentrated in the body therefore in order to balance the concentration there is water required, hence more water is drawn which in turn causes bloating or pooling. This mechanism in the end results in the swelling of feet in the body. So reduce sodium intake to avoid the problem of swollen feet and ankles.
- Taking caffeine more than usual causes the similar water retention issues, which in turn causes swelling.
- Avoiding caffeinated and salty food items from the diet is the best solution and a healthy one as well.
Yoga helps to keep your body and mind fit. The particular postures and the exercises are healthy for the body as well as the mind. There are certain poses that helps in better blood circulation and also to avoid the problem of swollen feet and ankles.
- With the posture and exercises that help to increase the blood circulation in the lower limbs are helpful for swollen feet.
- With daily yoga exercises there are very less chances (until there is any underlying cause) for swollen feet to occur.
“Try these methods to see if your swollen feet reduce their swelling and back to their usual look.”
2. Magnesium Supplements
It’s said that magnesium deficiency can lead to swollen feet. In this case taking magnesium other than from diet is by having magnesium supplements. These supplements must be taken with the doctor’s consent and after the dose he recommends. It has been noted by certain ladies that when they take magnesium supplements during pregnancy suffer from reduced swollen feet.
1. Essential Oils
These are usually the derivatives of herbs, hence are very relaxing for us. They act as anti-inflammatory and as a pain reliever. Essential oils are also very helpful in reducing problem of swollen feet during pregnancy. Regular use of herbs and oils can be one of the best home remedies for corn on feet to get rid of.
- Chamomile acts as anti-inflammatory for the body
- While eucalyptus helps in the reduction of swelling and also provides with pain relieving effect
- Whereas, peppermint oil gives a cooling effect which gives a soothing effect.
Do’s And Dont’s
- One should always take care of the water level and take maximum glasses of water per day and increase it more during the days of summer.
- One should avoid food with more sodium.
- Taking caffeinated products is harmful for health in excess so it should be avoided.
- Taking breaks during work hours and relaxing the feet by keeping in an elevated position shall be made a practice.
- Always consult a doctor when the swelling of feet remains persistent to mark out any underlying cause.