Your grandma is an asset for you, she’s doesn’t just love you like a mother and narrates you with her childhood tales but she is also a doctor for you! How so? People in the early times were not much advanced in science so they used to treat a number of diseases using natural herbs and food items. And even today when you don’t feel like going to a doctor and pay a little heavy amount as their fee so you can just go to your kitchen and look around for the natural antibiotics to treat your ailment. Read below to find the antibiotics which you never knew could benefit you so good:
“Want to avoid medicines? You surely can! As now we have provided you with best natural antibiotics that can heal your ailments naturally.”
Honey was kept in a laboratory for its research as an antibiotic. And it was proven to show that it hampered the growth of the bacteria:
- Staphylococcus aureus.
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
Its action in the human body is still unknown for these bacteria.
Honey which is darker in color is supposed to give better antioxidant as well as good anti-bacterial properties. The amazing health benefits of honey place it at the top of the list of natural antibiotics.
Other uses of honey:
- Honey has anti-inflammatory properties and thus can help with mosquito bites.
- Its anti-inflammatory propertied as well as anti-bacterial properties can help with burns and wounds as a first aid treatment.
- Honey protects the cells to be damaged by the free radicals as it is rich in polyohenois which an antioxidant.
- Honey can also be given in bacterial gastroenteritis and ulcers,
- Honey can also be given in coughs.
Note: Honey must be avoided in infants as it may give a chance to develop botulism in them.
Garlic has been tested and proven to contain Allicin. Allicin is a volatile compound which is released when garlic is sliced up or crushed down. This compound as acts as an antibiotic but it’s very short lived. The compound stays just for a few hours and when garlic is being coked the compound gets decayed.
Garlic helps the WBCs (white blood cells) in our body to fight infections. Garlic is actually proven to act just as a modern antibiotic named chloramphenicol, given in conjunctivitis and typhoid.
Other uses of this natural antibiotic are:
- Bacteria like E. coli, lactobacillus and H.pylori can be killed by garlic.
- Garlic is an anti-viral agent as well.
- Helps to prevent any food poisoning.
- Is used as natural preservatives in foods like pasta, coleslaw etc.
Turmeric is an orange yellow colored spice which is crushed into a powder form to use it in various food items. Turmeric is not only used in the food items but also serves to provide medical benefits. It is known as one of the best herbal antibiotics you can find.
Turmeric acts as an antibiotic for it is being used on the minor cuts and wounds to kill the bacteria and get a faster and a better healing. Moreover turmeric is also used in scabies, leprosy and skin ulcers.
Quick link = Turmeric benefits
Other effective DIY remedies using turmeric are :
- Helps in cough.
- Lowers down the raised cholesterol.
- Acts as an analgesic to reduce pain.
- Can also be given in asthma.
- Is a natural anti-inflammatory agent.
- Works to prevent bloating.
- A stomach ulcer healer.
Be it cranberry ,blueberry, blackberry or any other berry family fruit ,they are supposed to be the most recommended items for anyone who has a urinary tract infection (UTI) or infected bladder problems! These fruits have an ability to fight E. coli bacteria by adhering to the walls of the bladder and acting against the infection.
Other uses of these natural antibiotics are:
- Helps reduce cholesterol.
- Works an antioxidant.
- Helps to maintain normal blood sugar.
- Promotes a normal blood pressure.
- Improves digestion.
16. Fermented Foods
Fermented food items are having beneficial bacteria in them which help to fight the non-beneficial bacteria. Fermented food items contain probiotics and digestive enzymes and not only this but also health boosting nutrients too.
Fermented food items include kombucha, yogurt, sauerkraut etc.
- Immunity boosters.
- Improves digestion.
- They increase vitamin content in food and also improve their absorption in the gut.
This green vegetable has antibacterial properties that help to combat bacteria like H.Pylori. Its amazing health benefits make it an important natural antibiotic. This vegetable might also be helpful in treating jaundice too!
- It is anti-inflammatory.
- Helps to reduce cholesterol.
- Contains vitamin C.
- It is an anti-oxidant.
- Rich in sulphur compound.
A black little spice which is an unopened flower bud of a clove tree is a good antibacterial agent. Cloves are usually used in the food items to give it flavor to cooked dish.
Clove oil is an amazing analgesic for the tooth pain. So next time when you are lying down at night and suddenly you sense a sharp shooting pain it your tooth try applying some clove oil to it. If you don’t have clove oil then just chew a clove right under the aching tooth and let it stay there. Cloves are among well known herbal antibiotics you can find.
Cloves are proven to be very effective while treating bacterial infection caused by cholera.
- Helpful during cough.
- Can be given during nausea.
- Reduces bloating.
- Fights stress.
- Cures acne.
Coconut is packed with water as well as edible fruit inside it. Its brown hard hairy shell is difficult to break! But once broken the water inside is all ready to be drunk especially during the hot summer days! This natural water is known to be a mineral water which is given in bacterial infection caused by cholera, hence making it an anti-bacterial agent! Whereas, coconut oil helps to combat against Candidal infection. Its amazing qualities make it one of the most amazing natural antibiotics you can use against diseases.
- It helps to reduce cholesterol.
- Regulates the arterial blood pressure.
- It contains vitamin C, therefore be given in vitamin C deficiency.
- Vitamin B in it helps to replace the worn out tissues and cells.
12. Cumin Seeds
Cumin seeds are tiny little wonders which are used as whole or in the crushed and also in the powdered form. They contain thymol, which works against helmentic infections in the body particularly against the hook worm infections.
Other benefits of this natural antibiotic are:
- Helps to detoxify the liver.
- Boosts the immunity.
- Aids in indigestion.
- Promotes sleep.
- Fights the free radicals.
- Can be given acidity.
Ginger is one of the main ingredients in the sub-continental food items especially in the India and Pakistan. It has got a strong taste and a number of benefits hidden inside. Ginger is an important member of herbal antibiotics family. Bacterial infections like cholera are well treated by having ginger. So, the next time you have diarrhea try a bit of ginger juice. Ginger is found to be an effective antimicrobial agent for wounds as well.
Quick link = Ginger benefits
- It is an anti-inflammatory agent.
- Helps to reduce the muscle pain.
- Helps in indigestion.
- Acts as a stimulus for the heart and the circulatory system.
“Going for grocery? But wait did you write down the natural antibiotics that would help you fight your ailments without any medicines? If no then read out for the top 20 antibiotics here and add them to your list.”
Lemon is a sour little citrus fruit which is rich in vitamin C. Along with this property lemon are highly antibacterial too. It is supposed to be acidic in nature and with its citric acid, pectin and limonene it is able to boost the immunity and fight infections. They contain minerals like calcium and magnesium as well. In natural antibiotics it is at the top of the list.
Quick link = Benefits of lemon water
- Helps in digestion.
- Can be given in nausea and vomiting.
- Can also be given in travel sickness.
- Used for acne.
- Promotes weight loss.
- Helps to reduce alkaline effect.
They are a bunch of little red beads which are cluttered together inside a red semi hard shell. Sour or sweet both work great for the body. They latch on to the bladder walls and help fight the bacterial infections causing UTI (urinary tract infection). It is also given in dysentery and diarrhea infections which makes it an effective natural antibiotic.
- Immunity booster.
- Has anti-oxidant properties.
- Rich in vitamin Ca and potassium ions.
- Can be given in stomachache.
- Helps to lower down the raised blood pressure.
- Aids in brain health.
This crunchy vegetable is widely used in lot salads. People who are diet conscious prefer taking carrots in their meal as they produce very less calories. Besides this carrots are also anti-bacterial as the studies carried out to test its anti-bacterial properties have shown its active effect against E.coli.
- Carrots are good for vision.
- Helps improve the skin.
- Has anti-aging properties.
- Antiviral effect.
- Aid in digestion.
- Improves the renal function.
Pineapples are sour to sweet in taste. Mostly used in the canned form is a rich source of vitamin C. It contains bromelain that helps fight throat infections and reduce the pain. Therefore, you can surely have some pineapples if you have any throat infections next time.
- Neutralizes acidity.
- Helps in digestion.
- Aids in the arthritis pain reduction.
- Contains beta carotene that is good for the eyesight.
- Contains potassium helping to reduce high blood pressure.
Onions when slice give a very strong smell that can stimulate the tear gland and produce tears. Onions contain sulphur compounds which have a natural property to fight against bacteria and yeast. Onions could be given in sinus tract infections, thus relieving sinusitis. It has been an important part of herbal antibiotics and cures from ages.
- Acts as blood thinner thus reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Reduces the raised blood pressure.
- Lowers triglycerides.
- Acts as a blood purifier.
- It is anti-cancerous as well.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is supposed to treat many infections like candidal infection, sinus tract infection and gum infections. It also works to react with certain toxins in our body and helps neutralize them into less toxic form. It is considered among the most amazing and multi-purpose natural antibiotics groups.
- Helps in the reduction of blood pressure.
- Curtails extra amount of cholesterol in the body.
- Given in arthritis to reduce inflammation.
- Can be given to dissolve the kidney stones.
- Given in asthma.
- Works to prevent acne problems.
- Maintains a balanced pH.
- Helps to detoxify the body.
- It also regulates the blood sugar in the body.
Horseradish belongs to cruciferae family, to which sprouts also belong. Its leaves are also used to make medicines. It is tested to act against bacterial infections such that which causes urinary tract infections, sinus tract infections and other respiratory infections.
- It provides calcium potassium as well as magnesium.
- Helps to fight against cancer, especially its root plays a role to combat cancer in the body.
- Acts as an immunity booster.
- Rubbing horseradish root on the chest helps to relieve chest congestion.
- Aids to enhance the blood flow.
Eucalyptus is a plant which was initially cultivated in Australia. Its leaves are used in the extraction of eucalyptus oil, which has a number of uses. It is used as an anti-microbial agent plus it is also used for fragrance, flavoring and as a repellent.
The effect of pathogenic bacteria present in the respiratory tract could be countered by eucalyptus. Moreover it is also used for the oral hygiene maintenance as it has ant microbial properties in dental care too.
Other requirements of this amazing natural antibiotic are:
- Massaging eucalyptus oil on the chest can help relieve chest congestion.
- It also helps regulate the blood sugar levels.
- Works to be anti-inflammatory.
- Acts as an analgesic for muscular pains.
- Can also treat skin infections.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Herbal antibiotics are incomplete without adding tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is used to treat the topical infection i.e. the infection of skin. It is antibacterial as well as anti-fungal in nature. Tea tree oil actively works against MRSA.
- It’s used to treat athlete’s foot.
- Applied to kill the bacteria on skin that causes acne.
- It is also applied on the boils.
- Tea tree oil can be used for eczema and psoriasis.
- Warts on the foot could be applied tea tree oil.
- It is an effective insect repellent so could be used to avoid insect bites.
- Has wound healing properties.
1. Oregano Oil
Oregano is an herb which is used in a lot of food dishes. Oregano oil is extracted from its plant and flowers to provide with an antibacterial agent. It has other uses as well. Thymol present in oregano oil acts on the outer membrane wall of the bacteria and breaks it to kill the bacteria. It is active against E. coli, staphylococcus, campylobacter, salmonella, listeria and a few other bacterial infections. These qualities make it an important natural antibiotic against diseases.
- Helps in the maintenance of body weight.
- Fights against flu.
- Is an anti-fungal agent.
- Protects against cancer.
- Helps relieve menstrual cramps.
- People allergic to oregano oil must avoid it as it can cause reactions in the body.
- People sensitive tea tree oil must avoid applying it as it causes swelling and redness with itching.
- Horseradish could be irritating for the lining of the mouth and urinary bladder so it should avoided in vast usage as it may lead to vomiting and diarrhea.
- Eucalyptus in oil taken in large amount could be toxic hence it should be avoided in large quantity, orally or topically both.