Constipation is a disorder resulting from poor bowel movements. It could cause severe pain in the abdomen making certain sitting postures difficult. The passing of faeces is through difficulty or in severe cases not at all. The exit of anal gases is also restricted as a result of this condition. If faeces are passed they are either too small or too big.
Other symptoms of this disorder are bloated stomach, headache, loss of appetite and even bad breath. There are also some other symptoms of constipation.
It’s no use lying around in pain but the wisest decision would be to go for a home remedy for constipation relief. Within a matter of days the problem would come to an end and you would be able to return to your normal lifestyle.
“If you have constipation – it is not the end of the world. Without doubt, it could cause extreme uneasiness and abdominal pain, but the above said remedies could easily treat it. It is essential that such measures are not only adopted at the time of occurrence but should be regularly followed in order to avoid future circumstances of its occurrence.”
20. Increased Water Intake
- It’s generally advisable to take 8 to 11 glasses of water a day.
- If the surrounding environmental temperature is elevated then one should enhance the numbers to 15 – 20.
This is to ensure that the body is at all times fully hydrated because water is the main component of our blood in which all the metabolic reactions occur. Water softens the stool making easy passage of the faces out of the body.Thus water has multi fold advantages and is the very thing upon which life exist. So make sure to use this simplest of the constipation remedies for better results.
Oranges are not only tasty but are rich in Vitamin C and fiber content. The combination of fiber and water enhances bowel movement. It is one of the simplest but the most effective home remedies for constipation you can find.
- Daily intake of oranges – one in the morning and one in the evening would relieve one from constipation in a matter of days.
- Orange juice could also be prepared.
- Sugar and salt could be added to taste.
The cartoon character ‘Popeye’ eats spinach. The makers of this cartoon have certain information to promote to kids and that is the high nutritional content of spinach. It cleanses and revitalizes the digestive tract. It is highly recommended to use for constipation relief.
- In order to effectively combat constipation you should take 100 ml of spinach juice along with equal volume of water twice daily.
It would supplement an individual with a whole range of other nutrients too.
No doubt fruits are a blessing of God. They are not only tasty but help cure many disorders. Guavas have soluble and insoluble fiber stored in them that promotes enhanced mucus production in the anus and along with the peristaltic movements occurring in the intestinal walls – the faeces are passed through the digestive tract smoothly and easily. Its one of those constipation remedies that are commonly known.
- Two to three guavas should be eaten a day.
- Guava juice could be easily prepared at home and most effective results are produced when consumed in continuity.
Lemons also cleanse the digestive tract. The easy movement of stools occur because of the salt content present in lemons. It also helps in the detoxification process. Lemon is one of the best home remedies for constipation and also for digestive system.
Quick link = Benefits of lemon water
- The method for lime drink preparation is extremely simply. All you need to do is squeeze two lemons into a glass of Luke-warm water.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Effective results are produced if drank early in the morning with an empty stomach.
Raisins are packed with high levels of fiber that act as a laxative for constipation relief.
- All you have to do is to soak a small bunch of raisins in water and leave it through the night.
- Take them first thing in the morning.
Pregnant women can also use this approach.
14. Castor Oil
Castor oil is effective in treating many disorders. Its usage produces prompt positive results. From ages it is being used among some effective constipation remedies you can find.
- Take a tablespoon of castor oil and mix it in a glass full of Luke- warm water.
- Drink this mixture before going to bed.
It is also successful in killing intestinal worms that may also be a cause of constipation.
One finds it hard to resist the aromatic scent of coffee especially in the morning. This remedy would bring a smile on the face of coffee lovers.
- Consumption of coffee once or twice a day helps in the treatment of constipation. This is because of the caffeine that is present in coffee. It acts as a natural stimulant to the digestive system.
- However it is important that the intake of coffee does not exceed the prescribed limit or else adverse effects would be produced. Due to excessive liquid consumption, one would urinate more often and this would dehydrate the body causing constipation. Hence if only taken in controlled amounts, it would produce desired effective results.
12. Baking Soda
About 90% of the time the use of baking soda has found to treat constipation. Baking soda indeed serves versatile functions and lies at the heart of all home remedies.It has bicarbonate present in it which encourages the air to come out of the body – relieving oneself from the abdominal pain. The pain ends because of the release of pressure. So if you’re looking for some really effective home remedies for constipation, just follow this suggestion:
- All you need is one teaspoon of baking soda mixed with quarter cup of warm water. It is important that you do not leave the mixture but drink it as quickly as possible for effectiveness.
Aloe is successful in helping a person with constipation.
If you have an aloe plant growing in your garden, then you have reduced yourself the trouble of purchasing one from the market. Pure aloe vera gel from the plant is very effective for constipation relief.
- It is recommended to consume only two table spoons of this gel since it is very concentrated.
- You can also mix the said amount of gel with fruit juice.
- Alternatively you can also purchase aloe juice from the market. One cup of such juice a day would help you with your problem.
- It is best effective if consumed early in the morning.
“They are not strict measures but simple techniques via which one can attain peace of mind and body. This simple approach is sure to bring you excellent results. It fast, easy and effective and produces positive results promptly.”
10. Olive Oil
Don’t think oil could only get a car running. It has many other advantages as well. Home remedies for constipation are incomplete without olive oil. Pure olive oil is a healthy approach to relieving constipation. The digestive system gets stimulated through its intake and smooth passage of stools occur.
- It is advisable to take one table spoon of olive oil in the morning with an empty stomach.
- If you have eaten something then wait for a while before taking the olive oil.
- You could squeeze few drops of lemon juice. Also when both are combined together, more effective and rapid results are produced – since both the ingredients play a role in treating constipation.
A great cure for constipation is prunes or prune juice. It acts as a natural laxative because of the high amount of fiber present in it. It also contains sorbitol which helps in softening of the stool. Sorbitol also causes a lot of water to be drawn while passing through the intestines and thus adds bulk to the stools. However one should not exceed its intake as it can cause softening of the stool to a great extent.
- It is recommended to drink one glass of prune juice in the morning and the other one at night.
- Several prunes could also be eaten instead of drinking the juice.
Excessive consumption can also lead to diarrhea
Grapes are also very helpful in producing bowel movements at a regular pattern. It’s because of the insoluble fiber which it contains. The amazing taste of grapes make them one of the most delicious constipation remedies you can find.
- A small bowl of grapes could be eaten daily or half a glass of grape juice could be prepared which would equally serve the purpose.
- Dry seedless grapes could also be used by mixing them with milk and drinking the resulting solution during the evening hours of the day.
7. Eat Fiber Filled Foods
Fiber is very essential for preventing and relieving constipation. This is because fiber cannot be digested by our body and thus gets removed from our body, but it doesn’t leave alone. It absorbs water from the surrounding area and acts like a sponge making the stool soft and providing it with the bulk required for its movement out of the body. Thus, water consumption is also essential. Fiber rich foods include
- Potatoes (avoid chips)
Thus, one can easily make a salad out of such ingredients which would not only help out with this problem but would also be a treat.
6. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt plays a vital role in helping out a person with constipation – mainly because of two reasons.
- First, salt has a natural ability to absorb water from its surrounding area; thus making the stool soft which in turn helps it along its digestive tract.
- Second, the magnesium present in it stimulates bowel contractions – providing the waste bulk with the necessary force to move along the way.
Table salt could also be used but it is devoid of magnesium. Thus it is preferable to use Epsom salt if available for constipation relief.
- The very simple approach is to dissolve two teaspoons of Epsom salt in a cup full of water.
- Epsom salt could also be mixed with fruit juice.
- If there are no signs of bowel movement after 3 to 4 hours, then another dose could also be taken.
Dandelions are also very effective in curing constipation. The reason is because it acts as a natural laxative. They are not one of the very well known home remedies for constipation but their effectiveness makes them one of the best ones.
- You can add 1 to 2 teaspoons of dried dandelion leaves into a cup of boiling water and leave it to steep for 8 minutes.
- It is most effective if taken three times a day.
It is essential for our body to have good bacteria. Its depletion can also be a cause of constipation. This acts as a healthy gut flora promoting greater working conditions of the gut. It can be most easily be provided in the form of yogurt.
- This could be taken in the morning along with your breakfast.
- It could also be eaten during any other part of the day for constipation relief.
3. Get Moving
Opting for sedentary habits is not a healthy approach to life. Exercise is essential. This promotes greater muscular activity of the intestinal walls. As a result the stools are passed out of the body easily. There are many activities that an individual can indulge in. These kinds of constipation remedies will also make you fit, healthy and smart.
- Simply walking for 20 – 40 minutes daily is also very effective.
So it’s high time that we should stop becoming a couch potato and work for better health conditions.
Other activities include:
2. Establish A Routine
Potty schedules work not only for toddlers but are effective in adults too. It helps in regulating the bowel movements and hence the condition produced by constipation can be relieved and even avoided.
- For this purpose it is essential that the person sets aside 10 – 15 minutes twice a day.
- The key to this approach is to be patient and wait even if nothing happens.
You will soon get into a routine as your bodily functions would get conditioned to this timely process.
1. Nature’s Call
Whenever you have an urge to go to the washroom, it is essential never to neglect. This is a preventive measure to avoid future bouts of constipation.
- The simple technique is that whenever you feel like going to the washroom – just go! It’s as simple as this.
The reason behind this is that after some time, the bowel movements would come to an end. This is the reason that when you really feel like going to the washroom and wait for some time, then the urge stops. Thus, whatever you are doing can be delayed but its timely removal from the body is essential for the maintenance of normal bodily functions.
- Follow the remedy strictly.
- As for the dietary supplements, always consult a doctor before its consumption.
- Do not continue with a remedy if you have an allergic reaction towards it.
- Do not exceed the prescribed limit.