Colds can become very annoying specially if you work and you have a runny nose all the time. It happens because the cold air goes inside our breathing system and it causes release of mucous as a reaction. The mucous prevents the cold from getting inside. It is as a result of body’s self-defense, but it causes a lot of problems to the person bearing it. Excessive mucous can be a source of pain in the sinuses and it is continuously released by the nose and comes in the mouth, which is a very nasty feeling to experience. There are some foods which if taken can help get rid of the mucous and can help to fight the symptoms of cold.
19. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is one of the ingredient that should always be in your kitchen and bedroom cabinet. Apple Cider Vinegar is an acid with alkaline properties.
It is an active ingredient when it comes to cleaning. But you can use it actively for many health purposes. To combat common colds and minimal allergies, we can use the Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Take one table spoon of Apple Cider Vinegar and mix it in a glass of water.
- Consume every morning and evening
- Do not take above the prescribed dose as this may cause acidity in the stomach.
Ginger contains many antioxidants and Vitamins which help to heal the cold and cold symptoms. They provide instant relief in sore throat and help in restoring the health of the respiratory system.
Quick link = Health benefits of ginger
- Grate about half an inch of ginger.
- Boil some water.
- Take the boiling water off the flame.
- Add a teaspoon of honey in it.
- Add grated ginger to the hot water.
- Let the ginger steep for two minutes.
- Mix and drink this tea after straining.
17. Elder berry
Elderberry contains a great amount of Vitamin C and helps in strengthening the immune system of the body. It helps in timely control of any common colds or small infections.
- You can mix the elderberry fruits in a cup of warm water.
- Blend the mixture.
- Drink it while still warm.
- You can add a teaspoon of honey if you don’t like the taste.
Garlic has a lot of healing properties and can be used to treat small ailments in the body with success. Garlic contains anti allergens which are natural and this vegetable can do miracles in treating common cold.
- If you cannot chew garlic, grate or chop a clove of garlic and mix it with a teaspoon of honey.
- Eat that mixed in honey garlic with a glass of warm water.
Honey is a natural healer for the skin, hair, respiratory tract and many other systems in the body.
- To treat a cold, add honey to green tea or simple water.
- Consume this in the morning before taking breakfast.
- Honey can be taken two or three times a day.
It will provide relief to the sore throat and will help you get rid of the cold quick.
Lemon is packed with acetic acid and Vitamin C. Vitamin C boosts the immune system and makes sure the body releases antibodies to combat a minor cold or any such ailment in the body.
Quick link = Benefits of lemon water
- Mix one lemon in a glass of water.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to this water.
- Drink it in the morning and evening.
13. Citrus fruits
Citrus fruits contain a lot of vitamin C and antioxidants. They help making the immune system strong and should be a part of your diet on a regular basis. Citrus fruits that should be eaten in a cold are
12. Chilli pepper
Chilli peppers boosts the metabolism and cause the mucous in the respiratory tract to dissolve and be excreted from the body through the nose or the stomach.
- Add chilli peppers in your lunch or dinner.
- You can also add a pinch of chilli pepper to a glass of water. Consume it every morning til your cold gets better.
Figs are full of Vitamin C and antioxidants. They contain anti allergens as well. The anti allergens cause the allergies and all sorts of infections to remain at bay.
- Add a glass of water to the blender.
- Add about 20 to 30 figs in the blender and blend the mixture.
- You can add a tablespoon of honey to the shake.
- Strain the mixture.
10. Vitamin D
Vitamin D is made by the skin from sunshine. If the skin is exposed to the sun, the skin contains a special molecule which converts the sunshine to Vitamin D. Vitamin D helps to strengthen the immune system, the bones and the respiratory tract as well.
- Expose yourself to sunlight in the morning and evening times
- Do not expose yourself for too long to the sun as it may cause sunburn or tan your skin.
Cinnamon has anti allergic properties and it also relaxes the muscles and the brain. When the muscles of the lungs are relaxed, the breathing is aided and the mucous is drawn out from the respiratory tract providing a relief to the colds and flu.
Quick link = Health benefits of cinnamon
- Take a pinch of cinnamon or take half a teaspoon if you can tolerate its taste.
- Add to hot water.
- Let it steep for one minute.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to the water.
- Drink when warm.
8. Brazilian Nuts
Brazilian nuts are rich in Vitamin A, B and E. They provide strength to the immune system. You can take a handful of Brazilian nuts. They look very much like almonds but are different from almonds. They help in getting rid of the mucous which is secreted by the respiratory tract as a counter effect of the cold.
Onion is a vegetable which has miraculous properties and is tested by me personally in the cold season.
- Chop an onion.
- Put the chopped onion in boiling water.
- Allow the water to boil for 5 more minutes.
- Strain the water.
- Add two tablespoons of honey to the water.
- Take this onion water thrice a day for two days.
- Your cold will get away, so will any cough if you have any.
6. Chicken soup or stock
Chicken soup or stock keeps the chest warm and opens any chest congestion and dissolves the mucous as well.
- Boil the chicken on low flame.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Do not add vinegar or any other sour tasting spice.
5. Red wine
Drinking red wine will cure the cold instantly. This is because of the antioxidants present in the wine. Plus the wine also has a large amount of vitamin C.
4. Black pepper
Black Pepper opens the respiratory tract and helps in getting the cold away from the bearer. You can add black pepper directly to your foods like eggs, curries etc.
- Add a pinch of black pepper to every food that you consume during the day.
- Another alternative is that you can add a dash of black pepper to a glass of warm water with honey.
- Drink it thrice a day to heal your cold.
3. Red grapes
Red grapes are rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants. It has Vitamin C, A and B in great amounts as well.
- Take a bunch of red grapes.
- Eat them the first thing in the morning to treat the cold.
Yoghurt contains antibacterial and antifungal properties. Eating yoghurt when you are healthy keeps you healthy and provides a great deal of energy. It can help heal the cold if you take it on an empty stomach and mix a teaspoon of honey. Please do not take cold yoghurt or yoghurt from the fridge. Consume yoghurt which is at room temperature, otherwise it may deteriorate the condition.
Mushrooms are a powerful secret to prevent colds and flu. They boost the immune system and have antiviral properties with fight against the foreign invaders which invade the body.
- Add mushrooms to your salads.
- You can cook the mushrooms with rice or eat them with your favorite sauce.
- If you choose a remedy, give it at least two and maximum four days to make the remedy work for you.
- Do follow the instructions in the article and do not make any changes on your own.
- Do take a sunbath daily, if you are suffering from cold for at least 15 minutes daily and a maximum of half an hour.
- Drink hot beverages to get relief from the cold.
- Don’t take sour foods if you have a cold or sore throat as this may worsen the condition.
- If your sneezes increase or if a fever develops, go and see your doctor and have the medicine he prescribes.
- Don’t take apple cider vinegar above the quantities mentioned above as it may cause acidity.
- Don’t go out in the cold uncovered. Wear a warm woolen cap, scarf to cover your nose and breathe through the scarf. Do not take cold air directly into your breathing system.
“The cold season is around and you must take preventive measures so that you get protected from the cold in time. You can try the foods that work for you in healing the cold.”
“If you are the person who is affected by cold as soon as winter starts you are at the right place. Through this article you can get