Anxiety is a collective term used for several physical and mental disorders that may cause restlessness, nervousness, apprehension, fear, worrying and headache. These disorders affect the normal functionality of our behavior and thoughts, thus showing some physical symptoms as well. Severe anxiety can be extremely disturbing and can show some serious impact on the daily life while mild anxiety can be temporary and unsettling.
Read also = Get rid of headaches
People often face a usual phase of worry or tension before going through some challenging chores such as exams, tests, interviews or recitals. These feeling are usually formal and can be justified. Anxiety is referred to show some symptoms that interfere with someone’s physical abilities such as sleep and hunger. Anxiety occurs when the mental reaction is out of proportion from normal expectations. In simple words, when a person crosses the limit of any type of mental pressure.
Anxiety disorder is classified into several many types, but the most common are described below:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD): It is one of the chronic anxiety disorders that are characterized by the extreme, long-lasting anxiety and utmost worries. The anxiety is usually about life events, situation and most probably related to some objects. People suffering from this disorder often feel worried and afraid about family, money, health, school or work, but they often face difficulty in controlling the cause of tension.
- Panic Disorder: It is a type of anxiety disorders that has some sudden reactions. It is a kind of sudden attack caused by intense terror or some shocking news resulting in confusion, shaking, nausea, dizziness and difficulty in breathing. Panic attack occurs after a terrifying event or extreme anxiety. A panic attacks also lead to some future attacks which may cause some extreme behavioral changes and many other serious symptoms.
- Phobia: It is another form of anxiety caused by an irrational fear from an object or situation. Phobias are a bit different from general anxiety as it shows a terrifying response because of a specific cause; the fear might be unnecessary or irrational.
Anxiety can be caused by medical conditions, environmental factors, brain chemistry, genetics or a combination of all these. It is commonly triggered by the amount of stress in our lives. It is a response to many outside forces that attack out thoughts and brain functionality. The most common environmental factors that cause anxiety attack are:
- Stress at work.
- Stress at school.
- Stress from some natural disaster.
- Lack of oxygen.
- Stress about finance and money.
- Stress because of marriage, personal relationships, friendship and divorce.
- Trauma caused by events such as abuse, the death of loved one or victimization.
The most common medical factors that cause anxiety are:
- Side effects of some harsh medications.
- Stress from some serious medical illness.
- Symptoms of a medical ailment.
- Lack of oxygen because of a blood clot in brain or lungs.
Anxiety is most probably diagnosed by psychiatrists or clinical psychologists. They are entitled to diagnose the problem and look for their cause. The physicians will take a careful personal and medical history of the patient to diagnose the problem along with some physical examination. Some laboratory tests are also performed to confirm anxiety. These tests provide some useful information that will help to cure the problem of anxiety.
People suffering from anxiety show some variety of physical symptoms along with some non-physical entities that identifies the disorders such as excessive and unnecessary worrying. The physical symptoms are most common and similar to the person suffering from stroke, heart attack or general illness that tends to increase anxiety. The most common physical symptoms experienced till date are:
- Easily tired.
- Frequent urination.
- Easily startled.
- Muscle tension.
- Heart palpitation.
Anxiety can be easily handled at home. If you or any of your family member if facing this problem, some very good effective home remedies can surely overcome this problem. You just have to follow the some step by step solution. For your easiness, we have gathered some very effective remedies to eliminate anxiety from your life.
“Always keep yourself busy in order to fight against depression and anxiety.”
A hop is one the amazing herb that relaxes your brain cells and helps to reduce anxiety. It is a common ingredient in beer these days, but you will not get that tranquilizing benefits on consuming this. Hops contain a volatile oil that is a rich seductive compound, which is present in extracts and tinctures. It is also available in the form of aromatherapy pillow that helps to reduce many brain-related disorders. It is often used as a sleeping potion, often with another herb like valerian. Hop is very bitter in taste and that’s why it is not commonly seen as a tea until you mix it with chamomile or mint. Make sure to use this herb if you’re feeling anxiety symptoms.
- Mix together 1 teaspoon of dried hops and 1/2 teaspoon of chamomile tea.
- Add both of them in boiling water and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Strain and add honey for taste.
- Drink this tea on the regular basis if you are a constant patient of anxiety.
The little intoxicating but safe aroma of lavender can show some wonders in the treatment of anxiety. It is an emotional anti-inflammatory that helps to reduce mind inflammation and relaxes the cells. One of the studies has shown that the patients sitting in a hospital’s waiting room were less anxious as the room was sprayed with a lavender aroma. According to a German study, some special lavender pills showed an amazing result in reducing anxiety symptoms in people suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). In case of anxiety attack , you can use lavender as follows:
- Place an infuser in your room film with lavender oil.
- Spray your room with lavender fragrance.
- Safe lavender pills can also be taken to reduce anxiety.
The universal truth about relaxation is to have loads of chocolates. Consumption of chocolates relaxes the brain muscles and help to reduce stress and anxiety. Whenever people have an anxiety attack, it means their blood sugar dropping and taking something sweet might solve their problem. Coco contains some mind relaxing enzymes that helps stimulate the brain cells and reduces anxiety disorder. It is advised to keep some candies or chocolate for the people who are constant patients of anxiety. Works great in all kinds of anxiety disorders.
- Try out some desserts made with chocolate.
- You can also try some raw sweetened or unsweetened chocolates.
- Mix chocolate with cold mix and enjoy a glass of coco milk.
12. Good Breakfast
For an energetic and healthy start of the day, it is always advised to start you day with a healthy and proper breakfast. As a proper breakfast provide energy along with some extra oxygen to the brain that reduces any type of stress and anxiety. As advised by many doctors, people have to stop starving in order to lead a healthy and enjoyable life. An empty stomach can lead to many health and mental issues, as less oxygen is transferred to the brain that can be one of the causes of stress and anxiety. So make sure to have a healthy breakfast everyday to avoid anxiety symptoms. Everyday healthy breakfast should contain:
- Eggs that provide proteins.
The above foods should be consumed for a healthy start and to reduce suffocation of mind that is the cause of anxiety.
11. Eat Omega-3
Anxiety patients are always advised to eat Omega-3 enriched foods to reduce their problem. Fish oil is very best for the heart and it also reduces depression and anxiety. Experts recommend getting omega-3 from natural foods such as fish, peanut butter, walnut, flax seeds, eggs, avocado and many others. Adding these foods in your daily meal can surely help you out in eliminating anxiety from your life. Omega-3 also provides an effective defence against anxiety attack. Oily cold-water salmon are one of the best sources of Omega-3 fatty acids and its consumption can reduce the problem of stress and anxiety for sure.
Chamomile is one of the effective herbs to reduce stress and anxiety. Its natural contents calms and soothes the central nervous system and provides a seductive effect that helps in reducing the anxiety and stress in the body. It also helps relaxing the muscles and reduces tension in the body by promoting better sleep. It is found really effective in all kinds anxiety disorders. At least 4 cups of chamomile tea must be consumed in a day to fight anxiety.
- Add 2 teaspoons of chamomile tea in a cup of hot boiling water.
- Cover the pot and steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add honey for flavor.
- Chamomile flowers or essence oil can also be added to a bath tube filled with warm water to have a relaxing bath.
- Chamomile is also available in the form of supplements but must be consumed after doctor’s recommendation.
9. Green Tea
Green tea is an amazing herb drink that is rich in antioxidant properties. You can just reduce your anxiety with a few sips of green tea. Benefits of Green tea contain amino acids and L-theanine that helps to promote Alpha brain waves and these waves stimulates the brain cells by reducing stress, anxiety, improves focus, encourages body relaxation and provides goodnight sleep. Drinking green tea regularly also prevents anxiety symptoms.
- Add 2 teaspoon of green tea in a cup of boiling water.
- Simmer for few minutes and strain.
- Add honey for good taste.
- Consume at least 3-4 cups of tea per day for a relaxed feeling.
“A healthy breakfast every morning can boost your energy and will help you to eliminate anxiety from your life.”
Exercise and yoga work as an amazing stress reliever. Whether it is yoga, aerobics, moderate or intense exercise, this activity will surely help to reduce stress and depression from life. Exercise helps reduce the stress hormones that cause anxiety in the mind and body. It also generates the “good hormones” that make you happy and relaxes your body and soul. In addition, it improves your daily routine chores and pampers your mood. It is really effective in preventing anxiety attack.
Try to take out some time for different kind of exercise that can help you reduce your stress and mind pressure. Go for a small walk or do some cardiovascular exercise to pump fresh blood towards your heart and brain. Some interested mild sports can also lead to happy and healthier life.
7. Vitamin B
In order to prevent anxiety and enhance your mood, start taking vitamin B. the 8 vitamin B contents such as B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9 and B12 promote superb functioning of brain cells and nervous system, thus they help relaxing the muscles and improves stress and fatigue. The deficiency of vitamin B in the body can cause unnecessary irritation, stress, depression and apathy. So it is recommended to take lots of vitamin B when you are stressed out as its deficiency can cause all kinds of anxiety disorders.
- Vitamin B enriches foods include beans, whole grains, peas, kale, spinach, peanuts, eggs, avocado, molasses, blackstrap and dairy products.
- Vitamin B supplements can also be taken after doctor’s prescription.
6. Passion Flower
Another effective remedy for stress and anxiety relief is the use of passionflower. Intake of passionflower can increase the GABA level in the brain that results in reduced anxiety and panic attack. Follow these suggestions to use this amazing herb if you’re feeling anxiety symptoms.
- Add one teaspoon of dried passionflower herb in one cup of boiling water.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink tea while it is still warm.
- Passionflower can also be taken as a supplement or an extract with doctor’s recommendation.
Note: Pregnant ladies and small children should avoid taking this herb.
5. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is another successful solution for anxiety and depression. This remedy helps you calm down when you go through nervous tension. When a person is in stress his magnesium level drops in the body and increases the level of adrenaline.
Epsom salt carries high magnesium, which increases the mood-enhancing chemical known as serotonin in the brain. Thuis in another way helps reducing anxiety, depression, insomnia and tension in nerves and muscles. So make sure to take Epsom salt to avoid anxiety attack.
- Add about 1 cup of Epsom salt and few drops of essential oil in a bath tub containing warm water.
- Mix until the granules dissolve.
- Soak yourself in the solution for about 20 minutes.
- Enjoy and relax with this soothing bath 2-3 times a week.
4. Deep And Slow Breathing
Breathing exercises can help you ease and reduce your stress level. With slow and deep breathing, excess oxygen is transferred to the heart and the brain, which has a soothing and calm effect on the body and mind. About 20-30 minutes of breathing exercise daily can eliminate stress and anxiety from your life. This is really effective in avoiding all kinds of anxiety disorders. It can also help you think more clearly so that you can fight with anxiety more easily. Just try this simple DIY exercise and see the positive results:
- When you are going through the anxiety phase, lie down in a quite, dark and comfortable place.
- Close your eyes and start taking a deep breath from your nose, counting till 5.
- Hold your breath for 5 seconds and then exhale slowly.
- Repeat 5-6 times or until you feel relaxed.
A good body massage can help out in reducing stress and excess depression which we call anxiety. According to an old Chinese medication, massage help opens the pressure in veins and arteries, thus helping fresh oxygen to be transferred to brain and heart.
A warm and soothing oil massage on hands, feet, head or back relaxes the tension in muscles, fights anxiety and improves circulation. For a relaxing massage, you can use sesame seed oil, coconut oil or olive oil to reduce anxiety symptoms.
- Slightly warm up the essential oil.
- Use this oil to gently massage your feet, hands, head, back and other parts of the body.
- Use circular motion whole doing a massage.
- Take a warm bath after 2 hours.
- Massage your body daily to get rid of anxiety and stress.
2. Holy Basil
Holy basil is another Ayurvedic herb that is used to fight stress and depression. It works as one of the natural stress busters and being an adaptogenic herb, it enhances the mood and stress of the body. Also, it improves the functionality of the body during stress and depression. Holy basil also protects one from chronic stress-induced–changes that can be very dangerous.
- Chew 10-12 raw leaves of holy basil twice daily.
- A cup of basil tea can also help reduce anxiety. Take 1 tablespoon of dried basil leaves and pour in a cup of hot water.
- Steep for 5 minutes and strain.
- Sip and drink this tea twice daily to keep yourself happy.
Ashwagandha which is also known as Indian ginseng is an effective herb for stress and anxiety relief. According to a study, Ashwagandha roots are very helpful in reducing the anxiety of any kind by lowering the level of cortisol that is one of the stress producing hormones. It also controls the excitement of this hormone thus resulting in better lifestyle. This herb also strengthens the nervous system and boosts your energy along with some good quality sleep.
- Take half a teaspoon of dried roots of Ashwagandha and mix it in a cup of warm milk.
- Drink this milk before going to bed to have a sound and relaxed sleep.
Note: Children and pregnant women should avoid taking this herb.
Some Important Tips To Remember
- Always enjoy a walk for 30-40 minutes at least 5 times a week.
- Limit intake of caffeine, alcohol and sugar.
- Quit smoking and relax.
- Listen to some soothing music like symphonies to get rid of stress and anxiety.
- Go for some aromatherapy that will help you fight this problem in less time. As it builds your focus and concentration.
- Try to involve yourself in activities like puzzles, knitting, sewing, reading or singing to keep you away from anxiety.
- Include fresh fruits filled with vitamin C in your diet that will suppress the stress producing hormones.
- Get proper sleep as sleep is a natural stress buster.
- Keep yourself and your stuff organized to enjoy a peace of mind and self-control.
- Play with your children and be their friends.
- Limit your phone and the internet so that you can give more time to your family and friends.