Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition of the body in which the person feels a lot of pain; the pain can be dull or sharp. It is characterized by fatigue, sensitivity and headaches. Fibromyalgia is uncomfortable; treat it as soon as it is discovered. Fibromyalgia symptoms include pain in muscles and tendons along with stiff joints. Movement becomes painful and adds to the discomfort being experienced by the individual. Fibromyalgia does require proper medication and regular visits to the doctor. But it can also be cured in the comfort of your home; all you need are a few minutes to spare from your busy schedule.
An individual with fibromyalgia must exercise care within all things. The firbromyalgia pain can be widespread as well as localized. It requires a lifestyle change. 100% recovery is not guaranteed, a lot of patience is required. Home remedies do not have any side effects, they are easy and can be used as effective fibromyalgia treatment. Use home remedies to help your condition.
“Do you have fibromyalgia? You might want to try home remedies to help get rid of the pain, they are easy and will have you feeling better on no time at all.”
20. Vitamin D
Vitamin D is vital for the overall health of the body; it is needed by the bones to function. The body becomes weak and lethargic without it.
Vitamin D can be gained by soaking up the sun. If your body does not spend too much time in the open daylight then you can gain vitamin D through fatty fish, canned tuna fish, egg yolks, orange juice, fortified milk and cereal.
Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese practice that is very much in use nowadays. It helps treat chronic pain. Very thin needles are used to provide the body with ease and comfort. It is used as a well known fibromyalgia treatment in China.
A study was conducted between people who experienced fibromyalgia. People who got treated with acupunctured showed a lot of improvements in anxiety, fatigue and sleep.
A good massage can help your muscle pain to a great degree. Massage with warm oil as it helps provide more relief than regular massage. Regular massage can help decrease the pain in the long run. Do not apply too much pressure on your hands. Use soft and gentle hand motions. Apply pressure only on pressure points. Make sure to try this regularly if you’re feeling symptoms of fibromyalgia.
17. Heat Treatment
If you want to learn what is fibromyalgia and how you can successfully treat it using simple home remedies, you’ve come to the right place. Temperature can help relieve pain. Heat works to make stiff joints loose, it also releases the tension in the muscle fibers. Heat treatment has been used to treat pain of various types since the longest time. Heat also helps reduce inflammation and swelling.
Heating pads are easily available in the market, you can also make your own at home.
- Take a square piece of towel or ordinary cloth.
- Fold the towel both horizontally and vertically.
- Keep folding the towel or piece of cloth until it attains a size that fits the area where it will be applied.
- Turn your iron on medium to high setting.
- Iron your piece of cloth.
- Make sure that you do not burn the cloth in the process of heating it.
- Turn your iron off and place the heated cloth over your body.
Heat provides instant relief, it may usually be temporary but it works wonders.
16. Cold Compress
Cold treatment works just as well as heat treatment; the only difference is that one of the two works best for a certain amount of people. Therefore, one must try both treatments to figure out what works best for him or her. Do not apply the treatments one right after the other, as that may make the condition worse. Give your body time and treat it kindly. Follow these simple steps if you’re feeling fibromyalgia symptoms.
- You will need ice for cold compress.
- Take a clean piece of cloth and lay it out on a table.
- Place ice cubes or crushed ice in the middle of the cloth.
- Fold the remaining portions of the cloth in such a way that the ice does not escape.
- Place this ice bag over your skin.
- Do not apply ice directly over the skin.
Repeat this process a number of times a day.
15. Hot Bath
A hot bath is the cure to all problems related with muscles, joints and tendons. A nice long soak in a hot tub or bath can help relieve fibromyalgia pain and provide your body with the much needed relaxation. Make sure that the water is hot enough but not too hot. Extremes of temperature do not help the body, they make conditions worse.
- Fill in your bathtub with hot water.
- Add relaxing bath bombs or oils to the bath.
- Light a scented candle and place it a little away from the bath tub.
- Enjoy a good long soak in the bath tub.
Do not expose your body to the cold after a hot bath; make sure that your body is dry and covered.
Yoga is a perfect DIY treatment for the mind and soul. It helps strengthen the body while providing it with a calmness that cannot be achieved by anything else. Yoga is good for those people whose movements are limited and for those who cannot jog or run for exercise purposes. So must use yoga if you’re feeling symptoms of fibromyalgia or want to prevent it.
- Pick a comfortable and clean spot in your house, where you will be undisturbed.
- You can learn a few yoga exercises and keep repeating them or you can download tutorials off of the internet.
- Free your soul and mind.
- Practice yoga daily in the morning.
Meditation can sound boring to some, but it is a heavenly experience for people who suffer from fibromyalgia. Meditation also helps improve breathing exercises. Your body and soul become one in the process. It truly is a most liberating and exhilarating experience that is very effective as fibromyalgia treatment.
You can practice meditation anywhere in your house; it can be outdoors as well as indoors. Some people find meditating outside in the open gardens to be better, it makes them appreciate nature. It also makes them aware about their surroundings. Meditation takes the mind away from the pain and makes your body tune in to itself.
No matter how old you are or what your condition is, exercise is important. The best part about exercising is that everyone has a different way to do it, which suits them. If your condition has limited your body movements you can practice low impact exercises. Doing something is better than nothing, and this will help you in the long run.
Walking is also a form of exercise that will help you if you’re experiencing symptoms of fibromyalgia.
11. Tai Chi
Tai Chi is an ancient physical exercise practiced by the Chinese. It requires you to move the body slowly and gently. It helps reduce the symptoms associated with Fibromyalgia.
A study was conducted between people who had fibromyalgia. Those that took part in tai chi class for a month showed improvements as compared to those who did not take part in the class.
“Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition in which the individual feels pain along with other symptoms. Here are a few home remedies that you can try to help your condition.”
Magnesium is vital for the body; it helps reduce muscle cramps and aches. Consult your family physician to find out if low levels of magnesium are the reason for your muscle pain. Make sure to increase magnesium intake if you’re feeling fibromyalgia symptoms.
Food sources of magnesium include almonds, spinach, cashews, peanuts, oatmeal, wheat bran and brown rice.
9. Weight Loss
Weight should be maintained within an individual’s BMI. There is no correct healthy weight for everyone, as height and bone mass contribute greatly to the required weight of an individual. Maintain a good healthy weight. Start a weight loss regimen if you are overweight or obese. Do not lose all the fat very fast; lose your weight gradually with time. Rapid weight loss will not help your case, it will make you weak.
- Start going to the gym.
- Take zumba classes or dance classes.
- You can practice weight loss in the comfort of your home as well.
- Continue working out; do not leave a routine mid way.
- Avoid food that will make you fat.
8. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea is very relaxing; it removes the tension from your muscle fibers. It soothes your body because of its calming properties. A cup of chamomile tea a day can keep the fibromyalgia pain away, and decrease its intensity significantly.
- Boil a cup of water on the stove.
- Pour the hot water into the cup and add a chamomile tea bag.
- Let the tea bag sit in the teacup for a minute or two.
- Drink chamomile tea daily to help relieve the pain.
7. Ginger Tea
Ginger is a very powerful anti-inflammatory agent. It helps reduce swelling and inflammation. It also works to lessen the intensity of the pain. Ginger can be ingested in the form of a hot cup of tea. It will provide your body a temporary respite from the pain. Follow these steps , If you’re feeling symptoms of fibromyalgia.
Quick link = Benefits of ginger
- Wash your ginger.
- Grate the ginger nicely.
- Boil a cup of water on the stove.
- Add 1 tablespoon of grated ginger to the boiling water.
- Let the tea boil a few seconds and then remove from heat.
- Let the tea steep for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Enjoy your cup of ginger tea.
- You can also add honey, if you like. This step is optional.
Drink a cup of ginger tea daily.
6. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is an ingredient used by women and men to help sooth cramped muscles since ancient times. It relieves the pains and helps to lose the tension in the muscle fibers. It is rich in magnesium; it was believed in ancient times that Epsom salt helped raise magnesium levels in the blood. So it is highly recommended if you’re feeling fibromyalgia symptoms.
Epsom salt has not got a lot of attention from researchers, but it has got plenty of attention from people with Fibromyalgia. This Epsom salt helps relieve sore muscles and relaxes them greatly. This causes the pain to decrease significantly.
- Turn on hot tap water within the bath tub.
- Add 2 cups of Epsom salt to the warm water.
- Use your hands to mix in the salt.
- Have a good long soak in the bath tub.
- Repeat this process daily before going to sleep at night.
5. Calcium Intake
Calcium intake is very important as it is required for almost everything occurring inside the body. It is an important chemical element and dietary supplement. Required by the body in normal amounts, calcium is important for the health of the bones. Muscle function is near to impossible without calcium. Survival is impossible without it as all bodily functions and mechanisms need it to be present. The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) varies with age.
Rich sources of calcium include milk, yogurt and cheese. Make sure to increase calcium intake to reduce fibromyalgia pain.
- Drink a glass of milk in breakfast.
- Add different flavored syrups such as chocolate and strawberry to the milk, this will make the taste more agreeable.
- Cold milk or warm milk is a personal preference, both works just as well.
4. Deep Breathing
Like yoga, deep breathing is a very effective fibromyalgia treatment. Deep breathing can be very helpful for those who panic when experiencing pain. Deep breathing helps the mind to focus on something other than the pain. Anxiety plays a huge roll in exaggerating the intensity of the pain; this can be minimized and somewhat controlled by exercising deep breathing techniques. Shallow and quick breathing triggers the autonomic system for a fight and flight response. Deep breathing helps the mind to relax.
- Sit in a comfortable area away from distractions.
- Close your eyes.
- Take slow deep breathes.
- Focus on not moving your shoulders.
- The breathing technique should be focused below your ribs, on your diaphragm.
A healthy toxin free body can help make fibromyalgia much easier to deal with. Toxins are present everywhere; they are all around us. It is important that our body flush our harmful substances and toxins from the system before they cause harm. Maintain a clean and hygienic environment.
Steam baths and low impact exercises can help the body produce sweat, and this functions to eliminate toxins from the body. It is highly recommended to reduce fibromyalgia pain.
- Drink lot of water, at least 10 glasses per day.
- Drink green tea, as it has detoxification properties.
- Try steam baths.
- Do low impact exercises.
- Check the chemicals and ingredients listed over each cosmetic or skin-care product.
A healthy body is capable of fighting off various diseases and harmful conditions. However, a weak body does not stand a chance against such threats. Diet is the most important thing for your health. All that you eat or do not eat contributes greatly to the overall health of the body.
If your muscles, tendons or ligaments are not strong there is little else that will work for you. Your body needs to be strong and fit; this can be achieved by a proper diet.
- Maintain a diet rich in vitamins, minerals and nutrients.
- Substitute junk food with fruits and vegetables.
- Drink lots of water.
- Drink green juices in the morning for a fresh start.
Tired of working the whole day? So is your body. Exhaustion occurs when the body has been over worked; this affects both the brain and the muscles. Your limbs start to feel heavy and even a short walk to the bed seems miles long. All muscles in your body, except that of the heart require rest. So make sure to give your body proper rest as this is also an important fibromyalgia treatment.
Rest is essential; the body cannot work without it. Your body needs to recharge its batteries and this is done while resting. Rest does not necessarily have to be only of the physical form, it should be of the mental form as well. Fatigue is psychological, it requires sleep. Sleep is the only thing that helps calm the body and mind.
- Lie down on your clean and comfortable bed.
- Dim the lights or close them.
- Wear comfortable night clothes.
- Close your eyes and fall asleep.
Try sleeping early for a longer period of time, if you are an early bird.
- Follow a good diet plan.
- Increase the amount of vitamin D in your body.
- Drink chamomile tea and ginger tea
- Do low impact exercises along with yoga and meditation.
- Apply heating pad or a cold compress to provide pain relief.
- Use soft and gentle hand motions for massaging the area causing pain.
- Consult your doctor if the condition becomes worse.
- Don’t apply too much pressure on your hands while massaging.
- Don’t take a bath in extremely hot water.
- Don’t apply ice directly over the skin.
- Stop the use of home remedies if your condition does not improve.
- Avoid high impact exercises.
- Don’t overwork your body.