Herbs can be used for medical purposes, for flavorings in the foods, for many other daily routines. If grown in the house they do not cost you that much and if they are bought from an herbal store, they contain preservatives as well and are very costly. The preservatives affect the performance of these herbs in many conditions. You can use these herbs without any side effects and guaranteed results. Herbs have been used by many ancient civilizations since long to treat many medical conditions.
Here you have 19 foremost medicinal herbs with their properties that you can grow at your home.
“Growing herbs at your home is very easy and it can be much cheaper than buying them from the super Market or from somewhere else.”
Al-Fa-Fa “father of all foods” it has wide variety of medical usage, especially for patients of kidney and blood pressure. Many people use herbals not only for cooking and garnishing purposes but also use them to implement many effective home remedies on daily basis. Alfalfa has many nourishing properties and it is related to pea family. Alfalfa is used to reduce cholesterol and high blood pressure problems. It has iron, chlorine,sodium calcium and vitamin A, C and K .Due to its mild taste you can add them into your drinks to get refreshing taste. It is also used as an antioxidant because it has considerable amount of chlorophyll and dietary fibers. All these amazing benefits make it one of the best medicinal herbs you can find.
Parsley is often an afterthought – an additive used to enhance the flavor or presentation of an already existing dish. Growing parsley at your home is much easy and it has variety of health benefits. It prevents us from cancer and diabetes. Parsley has a large number of nutrients such as vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin K and many other minerals. Parsley and other green herbs are used to boost flavor.You can add some sprigs of parsley into your drinks.You can add them to salads and omelets as well, to get a rich taste. You can use parsley herbal remedies for following problems:
- Regular use of parsley can help you to control your blood pressure.
- It will help you out to reduce joint pain,
- Parsley regulates blood into body in proper way due to which your kidneys and stomach work properly.
This is an important herbal medicine and spice. Thyme belongs to mint family and it is used in many medicines and dishes such as pasta, egg, fish etc. to enrich taste and smell.
- It is used to get relief from dizziness and let you sleep in proper way.
- It is also used in many of home remedies for sore throat, cold and headache.
- It has impressive history of usage in past for antibacterial properties.
Thyme is found in AFGHANISTAN and PAKISTAN in bulk amounts.It produces positive effects because it affects your neuron activity and is regular by any means can let you feel fresh and good all the time.
Here you not heard of another highly beneficial herb that no one can ignore the significance of? Yes that is mint because of its extensive medical and nutritional uses .You can easily grow mint in your home garden and can get most of it. Mint is an important part of the medicinal herbs family.
Mint is also known as “Mentha” andis also popular as fresh and one of the healthiest herbs of the world. It has a wide range of vitamins and minerals which includes Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Calcium and it also has vitamin A and C in small amounts. Mint is use to solve of the health issues and it is common element which is used in most of the home remedies.
- As mint has cooling and calming effect its leaves can be used in tea.
- Due to its fresh fragrance it is used as quick remedy for nausea.
- Can be used in case you have common cold or you are some kind of allergy because it contains rosmarinic which is known as best antioxidant.
- In case of Asthma, dizziness and fatigue mint is naturally relaxing substance due to its fresh smell.
You need to pay little attention to grow it at home and after that mint is ready to solve lots of your problems.
It is the most popular herb among girls, known for its smell and long lasting odor. Oil is extracted from rosemary to make medicines. It is an important part of many herbal remedies.
- Rosemary is said to aid digestion problems like gas, heartburn and loss of appetite etcetera.
- It is also used for cough, headache and memory loss in later age.
- It can be applied topically to treat eczema, baldness and many other skin complications.
14. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera can be grown by just planting one leaf from any other plant and watering it daily. Once it starts growing, you do not even need to water it daily. Aloe Vera is packed with many healthy enzymes and is used in a wide variety of medicines. Because of its amazing health benefits, It is used to provide effective DIY remedies for many diseases and problems. It is used as an important herbal medicine to combat:
- Any skin conditions like dryness, itchiness, burning etcetera.
- It can be used as an instant relief to treat burns.
13. Lemon Balm
Lemon Balm is another fruitful herb that is packed with Vitamins and chlorophyll. It can be used in teas and foods. It can also be consumed directly or applied on skin by making a paste in the mortar and pestle. It is an important member of medicinal herbs family because of its amazing qualities.
- It can be used to treat colds and flu as it strengthens the immune system.
- It can be applied topically on the skin to treat oily skin and combat itchiness.
- It can also be used to treat sleep disorders.
Cardomom is another herb that is used widely in Asian countries for cooking as well as medicinal purposes. It is said to possess cooling properties and is very good for the liver. Some of the herbal remedies and treatments using cardamom are:
- It is used in mouth sores.
- Cardamom aids digestion as well.
- Aids in asthmatic conditions.
Tansy is another very useful herb that is a must to have if you have someone at home who is having skin infections off and on.
- It is very useful against insect bites and skin irritations resulting from it.
- Do not take this herb if you are pregnant as it may cause harm to the unborn fetus.
“Herbs are not only used for producing rich aroma and taste but also used for garnishing purposes, you can use them to get immediate solution of many of the common health issues and can get rid from many other skin ,hair problems etc.”
Stevia plant has glycoside in it. It also contains vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It is a sweet tasting herb. It was used by ancient civilizations as an alternative to sugar and also as an effective herbal medicine.
- It is commonly used to treat wounds and inflammation.
- It is also good if taken in diabetes.
- It is also used as a tonic to treat depression.
Cilantro can be mistaken with coriander but it is different from coriander. It has a unique odor and taste and is used in flavorings of foods.
- This herb is low in calories and is very useful in reducing cholesterol levels.
- It is rich in antioxidants and many forms of vitamins including Vitamin A, K, B6 and C.
- Cilantro is also rich in vital nutrients including folic-acid, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin-A, beta carotene, vitamin-C, which are essential for optimum health.
Basil is also called the king of herbs. It is also called holy herb in many cultures. In medicinal herbs it is at the top of the list because of its amazing health benefits.
- It can medically be used to treat many skin ailments.
- Vitamin K in basil is essential for production of clotting factors in the blood and plays a vital role in the bone strengthening and mineralization.
- It also contains a great amount of Vitamin A which is essential for vision. It is also required for maintaining healthy mucosa and skin. Consumption of natural foods rich in vitamin-A has been found to help the body protect from lung and oral cavity cancers.
Herbal remedies are incomplete without mentioning peppermint. Peppermint can also be confused from mint leaves mentioned earlier in the article. But it is a different species. Peppermint is a hybrid mint which is obtained when a cross is made between water mint and spear mint. It is known worldwide because of its oil.
- Peppermint oil is used to treat dandruff.
- It can be used when you experience headache and can also soothe migraine.
Salvia is one of the plants which are a must to have in your kitchen garden.
- This herb is a rich source of folic acid, thiamin, pyridoxine and riboflavin many times higher than the recommended daily levels.
- Fresh leaves can be used in stuffing in season sausages, poultry and fish.
Catnip is a must to have in home if you have a cat as a pet. The cats love this plant and they eat it. It is a drug to them and is kept in homes for calming very naughty cats. It can be used for humans as well as an effective herbal medicine:
- If you have an upset stomach
- It can help with sleep if you suffer from insomnia.
- It can also be used to treat high fever.
- It can be used to ease the pain in cuts and wounds.
Comfrey if planted at home must be taken a lot of care of. The reason is that the plant contains poisonous substances and the leaf, stem and its roots are used in manufacturing of certain medicines. It is one of the most important medicinal herbs you can grow at home.
- It is used as tea in heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Bloody urine.
- Persistent cough.
Dandelion is a plant that releases milk of white color from within. It is used as a food in many regions of the world. Young leaves of dandelion are cooked and boiled just like spinach and are taken with salt and pepper. It is used as an essential part in many herbal remedies.
- It is used widely in Asia for liver complaints.
- Dandelion is made into many medicines and spirits which are used for many skin ailments etcetera.
2. Sweet Cicely
Sweet Cicely is another herb which can be a part of your garden and can be easily planted. It is a known herbal medicine for many ailments.
- It is well known for its digestive properties.
- It is also used in treating infections.
- It is also used in flavorings of many soups and curries.
Chamomile is used for ages to treat obesity and many other problems in women. It can be used as herbal medicine to:
- Balance hormones.
- Treat indigestion.
- Colic problems in babies.
- Skin inflammations and irritations.
- If you have infants and toddlers at home, take very good care that they do not go near those herbs which you have planted. Otherwise they might eat them and this may become hazardous to their health.
- If you have a certain condition which is not being improved by the herbs that you have grown at home, then do visit a doctor for professional health assistance.
- Not all herbs are to be ingested directly, as they are very strong. Instead they are taken in the form of teas.
- When growing herbs at home, make sure that there are no wasps or bees or bugs that harm the herbs around. Spray with a special pesticide that does not harm the herbs and kill the pests only.
- Have your herbs checked and supervised by a gardener who is experienced in herbs.
- If you intend to plant comfrey, keep the pets and children away from the herb as some parts of it are poisonous.
- Do not remain on herbal remedies if you have a certain medical condition and a proper medical assistance is required.