Vitamin D, since the early childhood years we are hearing that for a better growth this vitamin is sufficiently required. Not only the edibles are required to fulfill this need but the sunlight does wonders too. Vitamin D basically helps the bones to absorb calcium effectively, avoiding any brittle bones and teeth. Some studies have even revealed a connection between depression and lower levels of vitamin D. So mild level of depressions could also be related to the lack of vitamin D. Severe deficiency of vitamin D in the body can be lead to osteomalacia in adults while rickets in the smaller individuals. Which is characterized by bone deformation along with muscle weakness and bone pain. An adult healthy individual should intake about 600 IU(International Units) per day from their diet, where as people older than 70 years should intake 800 IU(International Units) and the breastfed babies must intake about 400 IU(International Units) per day.
In this topic discussed below we will tell you many different and interesting ways to gain more vitamin D for your body.
“Do you wish to stay healthy and naturally increase your daily consumption of vitamin D? Read about different food items that can help you gain vitamin D.”
Exposure to sunlight is a very important factor for the conversion of vitamin D in the body. Following is the given procedure that is carried out in body in order to convert vitamin D.
- 7-dehydrocholestrol in the skin is converted to pr- vitamin D3 when the sunlight is absorbed by the skin.
- Pre-vitamin D3is rapidly converted to vitamin D3 which is then metabolized in the liver to 25-hydroxyvitamin D3.
- 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 is then converted to its active form 125-hydroxyvitamin D3 in the kidney.
This is the cycle which helps the body to have active vitamin D in the body, after the exposure of sunlight. A daily exposure of arms and legs for about 5-10 minutes is a healthy way to attain this cycle. Although a chronic exposure to sunlight can lead to the development of skin cancers in the body. A healthy exposure hence is very necessary for the body.
19. Fortified Milk
Dairy product with normal vitamin D is not much of a great source of it as compared to the vitamin D enriched fortified milk. As the former is the product of normal cow milk and the later is enriched with vitamin D.
- Calcium is important for healthy bones and teeth but it doesn’t work alone.
- For the absorption of calcium, body needs to have sufficient amount of vitamin D.
- Therefore, in order to get good amount of vitamin D one must take fortified milk products so that it gets more easier for the bones t absorb calcium properly.
18. Oily Fish
Oily fish are said so because they contain fatty tissues in their belly. These fish include:
- Herring, etc.
Oily fish is also good for the people with heart diseases because, it contains omega 3 fatty acids which are good for the cardiovascular system of the body. It also decreases the risk of dementia.
One should intake fish two times in a week, and that too preferably fatty fish. It will not only be good for the cardiovascular patients but would also be a source of vitamin D for the individuals.
17. Supplements Of Vitamin D
Vitamin D supplements are one of the most efficient ways to get vitamin D for the body. With vitamin D supplements one doesn’t need to care about the sunlight exposure or any issues regarding skin carcinomas.
- Like calcium one does not have to split up the dose of vitamin D and it could all be taken at once.
- Before starting with your vitamin D supplements one must concerned the doctor first as too much of vitamin D intake could be harmful for the body.
- For children aged 9 and older, the upper limit set by IOM is 4000 IUs. Hence always consult your doctor before taking any supplements.
16. Egg Yolks
Egg is supposed to be the first meal of the day. As it is a good source of nutrients so it should be opted as a part of daily diet. Not only it contains proteins and vitamin D but also it contains minerals such as copper, iron and zinc. It also friendly for the cardiovascular system as it helps to raise the levels of HDL (High Density Lipids) in the blood. People also prefer using it as face mask.
- The egg white is said to be rich in proteins
- While the egg yolk is supposed to be the source of vitamin D, hence in order to attain vitamin D from the egg it is important to include the egg yolk as well rather than just using the egg white.
- An egg yolk is supposed to contain about 40 IUs of vitamin D.
15. Orange Juice
Orange juice is a good source of vitamin C naturally. Whereas, vitamin D could be obtained in a fortified orange juice.
- About 8 ounces of fortified orange juice could provide around 100 IUs of vitamin D to the body.
- Orange juice also contains magnesium which is important for the absorption of calcium just like vitamin D is.
- Orange juice also contain mood vitamin that is vitamin B6, which is said to be a mood enhancer.
- Orange juice is supposed to reduce the blood pressure as it contains potassium and is sodium free.
“Vitamin D is an essential part of your diet so read about the food items stay focused on them in order to help you obtain vitamin D.”
14. Certain Category Of Mushrooms
Mushrooms need a dark environment for their growth. Like human body mushrooms also have the ability to produce vitamin D when exposed to sunlight. So in order to have vitamin enriched mushrooms certain brands are grown under the ultra violet rays of the sun to get such mushrooms.
- Mushrooms are also a good source of vitamin B2 and B3.
- It is found to be low in calories but rich in iron
- And mushrooms are also antioxidants in nature.
13. Fortified Cereals
There is a bunch of variety found when looking for cereals as different flavors and types are associated with different nutritional requirements. While some are just made to fulfill the weight reduction agenda and others are fortified containing good amount of balanced nutrients for the individuals.
- A bowl of fortified cereals that containing vitamin D is the best way to start your day with after a brisk walk under the sun.
- Fortified cereals (29 grams) combined with a glass of fortified milk you get around 90 IUs of vitamin D.
Hence, intake of fortified cereals is also an option for you to get vitamin D.
12. Beef Liver
Beef liver although high in cholesterol is a good source of vitamin A and vitamin B12. People with the deficiency of vitamin B12 are generally recommended to take beef liver as it is the best source to increase this vitamin in the body.
- 50 IUs of vitamin D is obtained from 30 ounce of cooked beef liver.
- It is also a source of iron for the body and trace minerals.
11. Cod Liver Oil
Cod liver oil initially was being used by the physicians to cure the diseases. It was even used by the farmers to cure old pains while fresh cod liver oil was used to make butter. Cod liver is a natural blood thinner hence it is good for the ones with cardio vascular disorders. It is also reported to lower down the blood cholesterol level.
- One table spoon of cod liver oil is supposed to provide with twice the recommended dietary allowance of vitamin D. as one table spoon provides 1,300 IUs of vitamin D.
- Cod liver comes in flavored forms like mint or citrus.
10. Ultraviolet Lamps And Bulbs
People living in the region where there is no sun shine available have a very good alternative now. Ultraviolet lamps and bulbs emit UV radiations which are similar to those radiated by the sun.
- UV lamps are similar to tanning beds but the dimensions are smaller.
- They carry the similar skin cancer risk like that given by the sun.
“A cause of depression can certainly be a lack of vitamin D in your body, get your vitamin D tested as you might be needing the vitamin rather than the anti-depressants.”
Tofu is supposed to be a good source vitamin D as it is fortified with calcium and vitamin D.
- Fortified tofu can provide with about 39 percent of the daily requirement of vitamin D.
- One cup serving is good enough per day plus it is also rich in protein. So the ones searching for protein can also go for it.
Shrimp being an amazing antioxidant is a very healthy seafood for us. It is also anti inflammatory in nature and is supposed to carry different minerals in it. It is an excellent source of selenium an antioxidant whose deficiency is found to cause some cardiovascular diseases as well as diabetes type 2 and depression too.
- Shrimps contain vitamin B12
- It is also a good source of proteins
- Vitamin D is also found in shrimps
- While copper and phosphorous also house within shrimps.
7. Soy Milk
As the name suggests soy milk is obtained from soy beans and is dense. A cup of soy milk daily contributes to about 17 per cent of the daily requirement of vitamin D in the body that is about 102 IU of vitamin D . Studies have found that soy milk reduces cholesterol and LDL in the body.
- Soy milk is a source of poly-unsaturated fatty acids and is a fee from cholesterol but containing good fats.
- It helps to lose weight.
- Promotes a healthy skin.
Oysters are exotic seafood with numerous health benefits. Apart from the pearl oysters that produce beautiful pearls, the nutritional oysters are used to provide with good amount of vitamin D. Six medium oysters would provide 67 percent of the daily requirement of vitamin D that is 269 IU.
- Oysters help in weight reduction.
- They help in the metabolic activities.
- Also help in tissue repair and wound healing.
- They reduce osteoporosis to increase the bone strength.
Oatmeal is a healthy way to start your day with. They are a rich source of nutrients and when taken with fruit, nuts and fortified make a complete full fledge breakfast, and a complete first meal to start the day with.
- One pack of fortified oatmeal would at least provide quarter requirement of daily vitamin D.
- It helps the body to reduce the blood pressure and helps the body prevent the absorption of bad cholesterol.
- Regulates the insulin of the body and sugar level.
A product of milk, hence it is a source of vitamin D. Although butter contains less amount of vitamin D, it still helps in absorbing the vitamin D obtained from other sources.
- 1 serving of butter would contain 9 IU of vitamin.
- Hence butter provides only about 2 percent of the vitamin D requirement.
- The calories gained would be 102 cal.
3. Goat Cheese
Cheese is a product of milk, hence goat cheese is obviously a product of goat milk. So people who in some cases cannot take cow’s milk can go for goat milk and its products.
- Goat cheese provides the body with proteins and along with that it also provides with vitamins like vitamin K, vitamin B and vitamin D.
- Goat cheese is supposed to be low in cholesterol and fats therefore it doesn’t really add up to the body weight.
- Apart from this it is also low in sodium.
- 1 ounce of goat cheese contains 6 IU of vitamin D that is just 1 percent of the daily requirement of it.
2. Sour Cream
Sour cream also considered to be unhealthy has got healthy benefits as well. It is supposed to contain different vitamins and minerals like:
- Vitamin A and vitamin D
- And minerals like calcium, potassium and also contain proteins in it.
1 tablespoon of sour cream contains 2 IU of vitamin D, which is just 1 percent of the daily requirement.
1. Milk Cream
Although vitamin D is not found much in milk cream but it contains calcium which is essential for the absorption of vitamin D in the body. People who do not prefer drinking milk can spread some milk cream on bread and have it.
- An early morning walk is a good way to start a healthy day, which would not only be refreshing but will also help obtain vitamin D for your body.
- Fatty fish is not only beneficial for the cardiac patients but also helps to gain vitamin D. So, take fish twice a week.
- Soy milk has many health benefits, so from now on you can replace your cow’s milk with soy milk to gain various benefits along with vitamin D.