When you have been together with your partner for quite some time often you don’t get the time to be as romantic as you would like to. We start taking our partners for granted. We start thinking ‘oh he/she knows I love them” and usually our partners think the same. The romance is often restricted to special occasions such as birthdays and anniversaries. However, there is one more day when everyone seems to be under the spark of romance and love “St. Valentine’s Day”. This day is celebrated on the 14th of February every month. Even, if you have been too busy with life, work and kids this is one day to show your special someone what they mean to you.
Remember, it is very important to prioritize your relationship no matter for how long the two of you have known each other. Healthy relationships require constant effort from both the partners if you want to keep the relationship alive.
- Sometimes it is more important for couples who have been together for a long time to celebrate this day than those who got together recently.
- If you want to stay together and be happy do not limit your romance to this one day.
- A good relationship is made of the little things you do for each other on a day to day basis, and the big things just support it.
15. Have Breakfast In Bed
Kick start your romance with starting your day with breakfast in bed. Serve your sweetie his favorite breakfast in bed. This is one of my favorite things to do and this is something which should be done more than once a year. It is a great way to start your day and a brilliant Valentine’s Day idea.
- You could make some crepes, a nice fruit cocktail and maybe some poached eggs?
- Another thing which is simple is put some croissants and buns in a basket and serves with some of your favorite jams and spreads. You could add some fresh juice or coffee too
- Cereals and pancakes with some fruit also is a nice idea.
- Just don’t forget to add a red rose or any other flowers fresh from your garden to the tray.
14. Leave A Trail Of Love Notes
Surprise your sweetheart by creating multiple love notes and leave a trail of them at different places where he might find them from time to time. When writing these love notes, it is OK to get a little carried away. They can be silly, romantic even tell some of your future aspirations. You never know your man hone would be so moved that he may just surprise you. This is a cute and fun idea and will give your relationship a breath of fresh air.
- You could also have a grand finale of your trail. That is when your Valentine reaches the end of the trail place you Valentine’s Day gift with it.
- Valentine’s Day gift ideas: How about a picture collage or an album which takes you down memory lane. You could also buy plane tickets to their favorite destinations!
13. Sing To Your Valentine
Bring your creative side out and write your Valentine a song and pour your heart out to them this Valentine’s Day. Don’t be shy to profess your love to them. Music speaks to the soul and it doesn’t matter if you don’t have the vocals of Taylor Swift, this is just you and your sweetheart. If you think you can’t rite you can even perform a song which you find really romantic and one which reflects your true feelings. If you can play an instrument, go ahead if you can’t, you can take help from a friend.
- If you are good at this stuff how about you write this song and record it on a CD. That way your sweetie can listen to it whenever they want to. This is sure to bring a smile on their faces each time.
- If you think you can’t do that how about giving them a one to one performance using a Karaoke machine. Common don’t be shy you can do that.
12. Candle Lit Dinner
Nothing beats the romance of a candle lit dinner. When we suggest this we are not referring to a cliqued exuberant dinner at some fancy restaurant which would be overflowing with couples. We are referring to a candle lit dinner for two. This is simple but very sweet. It is moments like these in which you create memories to last a lifetime.
- You can cook something nice for the two of you, put some flowers on the table, dim all the lights and strategically place Christmas stringy lights around the room and a few candles on the dining table. You can also play your favorite music in the background.
- There is another way to do this too, but it requires some planning. How about you ask your friends or someone to set a table for the two of you at a secluded spot on the beach. You could even ask help from a caterer for this one. Imagine the surprise on his face when you take your sweetheart for stroll on the beach and you come across a nicely decorated table for two!
11. Candle Lit Bath
This is something along the same lines. The whole idea of romance is just the two of you spending time with each other; it could be doing absolutely nothing or even doing anything that you love. So if you want to get intimate it is best to stay indoors and do something where you would not be disturbed. How about soaking in a nice hot bath on the eve of Valentine’s?
- Dim the lighting, and instead lit up the bathroom with scented candles.
- You can put some essential oils such as Lavender in the bath water. Lavender is very relaxing and would do wonders to tired aching muscles.
- You could even sprinkle some rose petals in the water to give your candle lit bath an extra oomph.
- Hey 1 don’t forget some vine or champagne whichever you prefer.
“When writing these love notes, it is OK to get a little carried away. They can be silly, romantic even tell some of your future aspirations. You never know your man hone would be so moved that he may just surprise you.”
10. Get Shooting
Photographs are one of the best ways to celebrate valentines day and capture any moment. There is so much you could do with them! So, how about this Valentine’s day you get a professional photo shoot done. There is so much that you can do with it. You can have a romantic one or a cute one or it could even revolve around a common interest or how about you go the place where you first met? If this seems a bit heavy on the pocket, that’s all right, you can also
- Go through some of the old photographs you have or if you have those digital ones you can even get them printed. You can turn them into a collage.
- The photographs can also be turned into some other personalized gift such as your personal calendar, wall murals or even mugs or T-shirts. You can find a number of websites online who make such gifts at very reasonable prices. All you have to do is send them your picture, browse through their gallery of ideas and there you have your memories preserved.
9. Have A Spa Day At Home
Who doesn’t like going and spending a day at the spa and getting all pampered. However, this Valentine we suggest that you bring the spa at home. If we see some eye brows raising let us explain ladies. Off course your man wouldn’t want to get all the other fancy treatments, but how about you give him a nice massage and follow it with a nice hot shower.
- Get your hands on some massage oils, preferably one which have soothe and relax the muscles.
- You don’t have to be conscious about being as good as the masseuse; he will just appreciate your hands on his body. But off course it doesn’t hurt to do a bit of research and get familiarized with some pressure points on his body.
- If you have a bath, add some relaxing soak and bath salts to it and let him sit there afterwards. Off course you can join in the fun too!
8. Recreate Your First Date
What was your first date like? Were you shy, being too conscious or did the two of you just hit it off the moment you started talking? First dates are different for everyone but no one can forget them. How about this Valentine’s Day you take a walk down the memory lane and recreate just that? Yes, relive those moments. We are often nostalgic about the past and how good things were. Recreating your first date is like a refresher and after spending some careless time like this where you are not talking about the mundane things will want to make you do all those things all over again
- Pretend that you really don’t know each other. Be inquisitive, ask questions. This is your chance to rediscover your partner in a new light.
- Go to the same place that you went the first time you were out.
- Get their separately
- Try to ask all the same questions that you did
- Your guy will surely be impressed by how much you remember. This show how important that time was.
“You can cook something nice for the two of you, put some flowers on the table, dim all the lights and strategically place Christmas stringy lights around the room and a few candles on the dining table.”
7. Make A Time Capsule
Make him a time capsule on Valentine’s Day. Yes, you read it right, one of those things which enables you to travel through time. Not in the literal sense off course! Simply write him a bunch of letter or maybe your wishes or aspirations. You can put all these papers in a bottle or even a box. On valentine’s Day hand it over to them but tell him he can’t open it till a certain date or maybe even till you get married or if you are married may be ill you two achieve any next relationship milestone you might have set or yourself.
- This incredibly sweet gesture is the perfect way to show your love and it also shows how serious you are about this relationship.
- Your guy would be curious as to what is in that box. His mind would keep on going back to it from time to time and eventually towards you aren’t that just what we want?
6. Dress Up
Everything you get on Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be for him solely. We suggest you invest a little on yourself and buy a nice dress and some sexy lingerie for yourself as well. When your man sees you have bought something special and you are all dressed up just for him, he is sure to appreciate it. When couples have been together for too long, they often become so comfortable with each other that they are simply not bothered by their appearance when around each other. Though it is a positive thing but sometimes your partner can also feel unimportant because of this.
- Wear something that will not only make you feel good, but he also feels good when he looks at you.
- He will enjoy looking at you as you just pop out of the bathroom looking like a total stunner.
5. Be Kind & Spread Some Joy
A random act of kindness goes a long way. This Valentine’s Day why don’t the two of you set out to do some random act of kindness and spread some joy and love around? Do either of you have a cause or charity that you support? You two are together which means your day is already special, so why don’t you go out and make someone else’s day special too.
- If you have been together for let’s say four years, just make a list of four random acts of kindness and do them whenever you get a chance
- Is there an orphanage or an old age house nearby? Why don’t you go there with some chocolates and balloons and spend some time there.
- As you leave your house try to share some coffee or a sandwich with a homeless person.
- Do these things as a couple or make a list and the two of you just try to do whatever you can and just keep on checking the things done out.
“We are often nostalgic about the past and how good things were. Recreating your first date is like a refresher and after spending some careless time like this where you are not talking about the mundane things will want to make you do all those things all over again.”
4. A Weekend Getaway
Valentine’s Day 2016 happens to be on a Sunday. This means you can extend the celebration to the whole weekend. Just start early. Who doesn’t love an occasional weekend getaway? This Valentine’s Day gives you a chance to do just that. You don’t have to go overboard or anything. Remember, it is about spending quality time together and not money. You can also try to visit one of your favorite honeymoon destinations to revise the whole experience on this special day. It is a good idea to start looking for options from now and book yourself a place early.
- You could go to a nearby camping site. Be close to the nature and away from the technology. This getaway is perfect if you need sometime all by yourself.
- Another good option is a beach or if you like some time on a secluded ranch at a countryside.
3. Make Them A Coupon Book
Now this is one of the sweetest gifts in my opinion. Simply because it allows you to show your love to your special someone not just on this one day but making a love coupon shows you are available to drop everything and fulfill one of the wishes whenever they ask you to. The coupons can be fun, cute or even sexy. Some ideas:
- Breakfast in bed
- Free back rub
- Foot massage
- Restaurant of your choice
- You pick the next movie
2. Make A Video
This Valentine’s day pour your heart out to them by making a video just for them. We can often not say the things we want to when the person is in front of us. Sit down make a list of all those things, tell them why they are so special to you. What is it that makes you want to spend the rest of your life with them? Make a short video say all these things to them and show it to them on Valentine’s Day.
- You can make this video using a camera or even the camera on your phone.
- You could even ask their friends and family to record a short video message for them and then combine it into one video.
- Another idea is that you start by saying a little something and then combine some of your favorite pictures into this video. You can easily add a nice romantic track in the background.
- There are a number of video editing apps available for the phone and online, so you don’t have to be a pro at this stuff to surprise your honey.
“A random act of kindness goes a long way. This Valentine’s Day why don’t the two of you set out to do some random act of kindness and spread some joy and love around?”
1. Say Your Vows
You don’t have to get married to say your vows. Whichever phase your relationship is in take it a step further this day. You know deep down inside when you find the one, if you are lucky enough to have found that person make a list of vows about how you want to treat them and say it to them on Valentine’s day. This sweet gesture will make them feel loved.
- If you are married, what better day to renew your vows
- If you have been going out for a while, write down things such as how you will take care of them and read it out to them on this special day
- This is also a great day to propose to your sweetheart. If you have been thinking of doing it for a while what better day than this?
Ways To Keep A Relationship Working
Although Valentine’s Day is a special day to declare and express your love, but remember to keep a relationship working you should not just limits yourself to this day. There are some rules which you should always remember.
- Successful relationships take work.
- You can only change yourself, not your partner. Accept them for who they are and any change you want to bring in them bring it by your own behavior and not by asking them to change.
- Honor each other in some way every day.
- Give what you want to get be it time, respect or trust.
- Be your partner’s best friend.