Nobody likes pain, while some pains are bearable and one can function with them going on, other pains, such as headaches, are intolerable. You just cannot seem to function normally when you are afflicted with a headache. Headache is a severe and intense pain and the reasons are varied, one can have headache due to stress, tension, and lack of sleep, fatigue, dehydration, migraine, sinus problems, and inflammation and over exhaustion. Although headaches are easily brought upon on courtesy our current lifestyle. They are not very easy to get rid of. Most counter pain killers don’t work effectively on headaches, and they take days to subside. But since one cannot bear constant throbbing pain for days, it is best to reach for home remedies that cure headaches in a jiffy. We give you 15 home cures to get rid of that horrible head ache.
“Headaches are nasty things which catch up with us for various reasons, most painkiller fail to work. Switch to our list of home cures to bring yourself immediate relief. We give 15 no fail home remedies to cure your headache.”
15. Flax Seeds
Learn how to get rid of a headache easily using flax seeds. Flax seeds are rich in omega 3. Some headaches are caused by inflammation and they can be treated by consuming omega 3 fatty acids. And flax seeds can be either consumed as a whole nut or be used as an oil to help you relieve and get rid of headache.
Buckwheat is rich in antioxidant properties and a flavonoid known as rutin. Both these elements have the ability to heal headaches that are caused by inflammation and other factors. Use buckwheat oil to massage, or eat a quarter of a teaspoon of buckwheat seeds to get rid of headache.
13. Betel Leaves
Betel leaves are loaded with analgesic and cooling properties, and these are very effective to reduce headache. Grind a few betel leaves into a smooth paste and apply on your forehead or chew 1 or 2 betel leaves to get instant headache relief.
Cinnamon has been long known for its healing and antioxidant properties. if you are truly looking for answers on how to get rid of headache than it is no surprise that cinnamon can cure headaches or migraine too. Here is an effective DIY trick to get benefit from cinnamon for your head ache.
Grind a cinnamon stick into fine powder and make a thick paste with the addition of little water. Apply this paste on your forehead and temples. Leave the paste on and lie down for 30 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water.
11. Eucalyptus Oil
It is the easy way if you’re wondering how to get rid of a headache quickly. Eucalyptus is enriched with pain relieving and anti-inflammatory properties. It brings a soothing effect and helps to relax tense muscles which are the cause of a headache.
Slowly massage your head and temples with eucalyptus oil using your fingertips, for 15-20 minutes and notice swift action and relief.
Ginger is loaded with anti-inflammatory properties that assist in easing the headache. Use of ginger helps relax the blood vessels in the brain, activate natural opiates which help decrease the pain and reduces swelling in the brain and provides head relief.
Quick link = Benefits of ginger
Brew a cup of ginger tea 2-3 times a day, and make sure to have it on the onset of a head ache. The quicker your start, the better the relief.
Peppermint is natural anti-oxidants, and is rich in soothing and calming properties. They can be used in 3 different ways to help you get rid of headache and migraine.
- Brew a cup of peppermint tea, using one teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves. Add them to a cup of boiling water, cover and steep for 5-8 minutes, so that the leaves get infused properly. Strain and sip.
- Massage your head, jaw, temple and the back of the head with peppermint oil for instant comfort.
- Inhale the steam of peppermint infused water to get rid of headache, nausea and vomiting.
As the old saying goes, an apple a day keeps the doctor away, proves to be right. Apple can help you get immediate ease with headache. Apples contain properties that help restore the acid alkaline balance in the body. It is said that smelling green apples can help reduce migraine related headaches.
An early morning headache can be cured by having a slice of apple sprinkled with salt, on an empty stomach. You can also use apple cider vinegar to remedy headache. Fill a large bowl with steaming water and add 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Hold a towel over your head, lean over the bowl and inhale the fumes. The apple infused steam will loosen the blood vessels and help the muscles to relax. So If any one asks you how to get rid of a headache easily at home, just suggest this effective apple remedy.
“Tired of constant headaches and no solution in sight? Worry not as we give a list of 15 home remedies to get rid of that nasty headache”
Lemon is packed with Vitamin C, anti-oxidants and healing properties that are really beneficial for health. Lemon also assists in maintaining the acid alkaline balance in the body. Here is how to get quick headache relief using lemons.
Quick links = Benefits of lemon water
To reduce the intensity of a headache, mix in freshly squeezed juice of one and half lemon in a glass of warm water and sip it. Alternatively you can crush lemon crusts and rind, and apply them on the forehead for immediate relief and to get rid of headache fast.
6. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil has soothing and healing properties which prove beneficial in getting rid of headaches and migraine. Lavender oil can either be inhaled or used externally. 2-4 drops of this therapeutic oil in a bowl of hot water are good enough for inhaling steam and relieving yourself of the pain. You can also massage your forehead and temples with Lavender Oil.Caution- Lavender oil should not be consumed by mouth or nose, it is strictly for topical use.
Learn how to get rid of a headache using almonds. Almonds are super rich in many nutrients, minerals and vitamins. Also almonds are loaded with salicin, which works as a natural pain reliever. So it is no surprise that they curb headaches too. Instead of popping on pills, grab a handful of these virtuous nuts and chew them slowly.
Caution- People suffering from migraines should be careful of almonds, as they may find almonds a triggering food.
Fever-few as the name suggests is the natural antidote for fever and pain. It is believed that fever-few has been used since 1800 for its medicinal and healing properties. Fever-few contains parthenolide, which works as a swift painkiller sans the side effects. Research has shown that it helps relax the tense and constricted blood vessels, easing the pressure. It also helps to reduce inflammation.
To benefit from fever-few, simply brew a cup of fever-few tea, using an ounce of dried fever-few flowers. Add these to a pint of boiling water. Cover and let it steep for 10-15 minutes, can add honey to adjust the taste. Drink a cup daily as and when needed.
3. Fish Oil
Drink Fish oil! Yes you read it right, fish oil. As mentioned before, foods that are rich in omega 3 fatty acids, help in getting rid of headaches. Fish oil are loaded with omega 3. And they help reduce inflammation, blood clotting, lower blood pressure and steady heart rhythm. For an effective headache relief, make sure to use it regularly.
Dissolve a teaspoon of fish oil in a glass of orange juice and drink up.
Keep yourself hydrated. Seems like a surprising cure? Well here is why-On an average we do not hydrate our bodies sufficiently, that is a major cause for constant headaches. Our regular intake of alcohol, sugary drinks, tea, and coffee dehydrates our body. So a simple solution is to keep our body replenished with plenty of water. And have a glass water when the headache starts. Keeping yourself hydrated also helps you get rid of migraine.
A wonderful herb used for its aroma and smell is useful to get rid of headaches in a jiffy. Basil is enriched with healing and soothing properties and basil oil is a natural muscle relaxant. It works wonders for headaches caused by tension and tight muscles. Follow these suggestion for an instant headache relief.
Massage your forehead, back of the neck and temple with two or three drops of basil oil.
- Do yoga- practicing yoga stretches our muscles and eases our tension knots.
- Ice pack- a cold compress on your forehead will numb the pain, help shrink the blood vessels and improve blood circulation to the area.
- Hot compress- A warmed towel on the back of your head will bring you immediate relief.
- Avoid MSG- intake of mono-sodium glutamate can trigger headaches in people suffering from migraines.
- Improve your posture- A straight back, with relaxed upright shoulders will help ease the headache, as it instantly relaxes the muscles.
- Imagine!!- Yes just use your imagination to divert your attention. Recent studies have shown that change of imagination helps curb the headache. So think of all that can, let your imagination run wild, and all to cure your headache.
- Eat less chocolate- milky chocolate and low quality available chocolate contains caffeine which can trigger headaches.
- Hold that pencil- just hold that pencil, don’t bite it. Holding the pencil can help a tension headache disappear. The physical action of holding the pencil between your teeth, relaxes your jaw and eases the headache gradually.
- Breathe- Often while headaches occur, our breaths become slow and shallow, thus brain does not receives the adequate amount of oxygen. Make sure to take deep, full breaths that fill up our lungs.
- Get moving- lying down and staying dull won’t relieve you of your ache, but moving out and taking in fresh air, surely will. Divert your attention, go out and have fun. This activity will revitalize your body and ease your pain.
- Exercise- Exercise releases the happy hormone in our body known as endorphins. Endorphins curb the uncomfortable sensation caused by headaches.