People don’t often take out time to work properly on their oral hygiene. Most of the world’s population sleeps without brushing their teeth because they believe in doing it early in the morning. However, this leads to a lot of oral hygiene problems. One major problem being dirt and food particles remaining inside the mouth for far too long, most often these particles start decomposing stuck between the teeth and this results in bad breath the next morning. Often people want to know how to get rid of gingivitis or some other gum disease but don’t take care of oral hygiene.
Gingivitis is specifically disease of the gums where the gums become sore, swollen and often bleed profusely while brushing or flossing. This is an extremely painful condition and more often people usually neglect this situation. The initial symptoms are quite mild that confuse the people for mild irritation. The main reason of gingivitis is the presence of bacteria and food particles inside the mouth that is not looked after. These particles together in the warmth of the mouth work together towards building up plaque layers. These layers slowly and gradually start irritating and affecting the gums. There are plenty of ingredients present inside the home that can help you get rid of gingivitis quickly and easily by applying some of these remedies.
15. Use Of Salt
Salt is one effective way to get rid of gingivitis because salt is a good source to inhibit the environment that is effective for bacterial growth. Salt is both antiseptic and antibacterial thus it is perfect to completely shut down the growth of further bacteria. In case of any bleeding and abscesses it works to clear out bacterial involvement from that particular area as well. Here is how you can use this effective gingivitis treatment.
- The simplest way to treat gingivitis is to make a homemade saline solution composed of about 1½ teaspoon of salt in a glass of water and use it as a mouthwash 2-3 times in a day.
- One can also work up a paste by mixing a teaspoon of salt with a bit of mustard oil and rub it into a paste form then apply this paste on the gums in a circular motion.
14. The Ancient Healer Turmeric
Learn how to get rid of gingivitis using healing powers of turmeric. Turmeric is like a go to spice in order to work on any emergency cuts, wounds and bleeding areas and this spice is known to work on the mess and provide instant relief. Adding turmeric on a bleeding wound reduces the bleeding to upto 50%. This spice has been the living soul of herbalists for centuries because of its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Just try this simple DIY remedy and see the magical result.
Quick link = Turmeric health benefits
- Circumin that is a substance found in turmeric is known to reduce signs of swelling, pain, plaque and bleeding from the affected gums.
- A massage treatment for the gums includes a teaspoon of turmeric powder, a pinch of salt and some mustard oil to create a paste. Simply, massage this paste on to the gums 2-3 times in a day.
- A brushing paste includes taking a teaspoon of turmeric on your palm and then wetting your toothbrush enough to pick up some powder from the palm and then using it to gently clean the gums and the teeth. You can repeat this technique twice a day.
13. Sipping On Some Green Tea
Green tea is a natural detoxifying drink that takes away all the excess and harmful toxins from the body. Now it isn’t necessary to find the toxins only in the gut or the blood streams, unfortunately quite a few toxins don’t even get to leave the environment of our very own mouth. Green tea can be used as an excellent gingivitis treatment. The tea is used to soothe out any kind of inflammation that is developed over the gums.
- You can use quite a few techniques to relieve pain caused by gingivitis one is that you can use a cup of freshly brewed green tea as a mouth wash. Holding up the sip on the affected area for about 5 minutes helps soothe the pain remarkably.
- Or you can also make up a thick paste like mixture out of the green tea herbs with a small amount of water to use it as a paste to brush over the gums.
12. Use Of Oil As A Cure
Most people wouldn’t even have thought of this remedy before and still would not consider the use of oil as a remedy for oral diseases. But the fact is we can use the age old Ayurvedic technique of oil pulling in order to get rid of tiny particles that might be residing inside the mouth despite of all the efforts that would have been put of getting rid of them. This method is very effective in preventing and curing gingivitis or any other gum disease.
- You can use a small amount of either sesame oil or coconut oil and use it to swish inside the mouth.
- You are supposed to keep swishing it inside for about 10-15 minutes.
- Covering and rubbing against all the affected areas.
- Then simply throw the oil out and thoroughly rinse the inside with warm water.
- This technique is suggested to be done everyday even for healthy people, before brushing the teeth.
Tip: Completely avoid swallowing the oil or taking it up as gargles.
11. Consuming Cranberry Juice
People would mostly love this remedy but the drawback that comes along with this one is that you are supposed to use the unsweetened and raw version of cranberry juice. This version is apparently too sour for the people’s likes and it is recommended so because sugar will not just add more to the misery but it will actually provide an even healthier environment for the bacteria to grow. Make sure to stay away from all kinds of sweetened stuff when you start feeling irritation in your gum because this way you can prevent the disease from spreading to different parts of the mouth.
- You can happily consume a glass full of raw and unsweetened cranberry juice to get rid of all kinds of bacterial and microbial growth inside the mouth.
10. The Benificient Caking Soda
Baking soda is the go to home based chemical that is superb for the oral hygiene. You can easily get whitened and stronger teeth and reduced plaque with weekly applications of this substance. Plus it is also great to reduce the amount of bacteria and any kind of bacterial growth.
- Add up a quarter teaspoon of baking soda with just a dash of water in order to form a paste.
- You can then apply this paste on to the affected gums and keep it there for a good 2-3 minutes.
- After that simply rinse your mouth with some warm water.
- You can happily use this technique 2-3 times in a day.
9. Aloe Vera The Medicinal Plant
If someone asks you how to get rid of gingivitis using some simple natural way, Aloe Vera is the perfect solution. Aloe Vera is like the charm that works wonders on almost every little and bigger problem. From skin and hair care, to internal organ issues, every cure seems to be hidden inside this miracle plant. Easily available in gel form over the counter and one can even grow it with ease in the backyard, this plant is an effective solution to reduce inflammation from the gums and help stop receding gums.
- You can simply extract gel from the Aloe Vera plant and use it directly on to the affected gums.
- Keep the gel on for about 5 minutes and then thoroughly rinse it with water.
- Use of Aloe Vera gel 2-3 times in a day has no harmful effects whatsoever.
8. Lemon Juice
Lemon is a rich source of Vitamin C that itself is a good way to reduce any signs of inflammation in the body. The anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties help reduce all kinds of swelling and irritation from the affected gums. The Vitamin C present inside lemons also help fight against the infection caused by the bacteria. Here is how you can use it to cure any gum disease.
Quick link = Benefits of lemon water
- The criterion is almost similar to the rest which is to mix small amount of lemon juice with water to make a mouthwash.
- Use it to swish inside the mouth nicely and thoroughly.
- Or you can also add a small amount of lemon juice on a teaspoon of salt to make a paste.
- Apply this paste in the affected gums and leave it for about 10 minutes, rinse afterwards.
- This method can be used up to 5 times a day to see visible improvement.
7. Use Of Guava Leaves
Guava is definitely one of the tastiest fruits of the summer and probably one of the favorites for majority of the bird species. The plant comprised of the fruit and the leaves is an excellent source to provide relieve from all kinds of oral problems. Guajiveran is the substance found inside the guava fruit leaves and this is one substance that helps fight plaque deposits inside the mouth. Here is how you can use it as an effective gingivitis treatment.
- The leaves are a great source of anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-microbial as well as antioxidant properties.
- You can do is collect a number of guava leaves and then wash them off thoroughly.
- Chew these leaves and nicely grind them between the teeth to bring out the essence.
- Spit the residue out and wash the mouth thoroughly.
6. The Power Of Clove
Clove has been read and tested as a good cure of many oral problems. You can treat a number of oral issues with the help of cloves; toothaches, sore gums and even gingivitis is one of the few problems that use clove as an instant pain reliever. It is a strong antiseptic agent, full of anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties which makes it an effective gingivitis treatment.
- You can easily chew a number of 2-3 cloves in a day to get instant relief from the pain.
- Plus there is clove oil easily available in the market that can be rubbed on the affected gums directly to reduce the pain.
- You can use this same extract to prepare a mouthwash by adding 2-3 drops in warm water and use it to swish around the mouth.
- Clove is a tried and tested remedy to get rid of all kinds of oral issues.
Tip: Pregnant women are advised not to use either cloves or clove oil as a remedy.
5. Effects Of Peppermint
Plant extracts that are readily available is like a blessing since these plants provide cure to a number of diseases that either do not have a definite cure and take ages to go away on their own. The use of peppermint extract or oil helps visibly reduce the signs of inflammation from the affected gums and also hinders any further bacterial growth between the gums. All these qualities make peppermint an effective treatment for gum disease.
- You can use peppermint leaves in two ways possible. One way is to soak about 10-15 peppermint leaves in water for 30-45 minutes and then use this soaked water as a mouth wash.
- The second method that works as a charm is to brew tea out of fresh peppermint leaves and cool it down to the point where you can use it as a mouth wash.
- The key is to gently rub the water against the affected gums to relieve the pain and stop bacterial growth.
4. Applying Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is also known as an effective gingivitis treatment. Tea tree oil is basically the best cure to treat chronic gingivitis. The extract has strong antiseptic, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce all kinds of infection causing bacteria from the affected gums. It is also a best source to provide instant relief to swollen gums.
- Use tea tree oil based toothpaste daily to brushing your teeth.
- In case you fail to find tea tree based toothpaste, add a few drops of the extract on your regular toothpaste and use that instead.
- But make sure of one thing; don’t swallow some of the extract as tea tree oil is known to upset the stomach.
3. Power Of Ginger
Ginger has the power to reduce all signs of inflammation, thus ginger mixed with a combination of chamomile and cinnamon brings forth a great home remedy that treats all signs of gingivitis. Chamomile is known to increase the oral health while cinnamon reduces the infection from the areas due to its anti-septic properties. Follow the given steps to get rid of gingivitis or any other gum disease effectively.
Quick link = Ginger benefits
- You can make a great cup of tea based on a dash of ginger, chamomile leaves and some cinnamon.
- Use this tea throughout the day or you can even use it as a mouthwash after cooling it down to a bearable temperature.
2. Massage Your Gums
Most of the issues that are quite often caused are due to the hindered flow of blood from the affected areas. People cry about poor skin and scalp health that results in dry hair, or excessive hair fall. But what people do not understand is their lack of ability to soothe out the flow of blood from major parts of their body. People who tend to be on the laziest side of the scale often cry about sore muscles and bone issues, the one thing they need is a good and proper massage. Likewise in terms of our oral hygiene there are many things that we miss out on and one of them is massaging our gums. By gently massaging our gums we can see that it smoothes the flow of blood, causing a noticeable reduction of swelling from the affected areas.
1. Do Regular Flossing
It is most often that we neglect the basic rules of personal hygiene all because of our laziness and lethargic habits. It does not take more than 5 minutes of your daily life routine to go to the washroom and after you are done with the rituals, you come out after you have thoroughly brushed and flossed your teeth.
- Sleeping with dirty teeth results in increased amount of plaque buildup.
- The bacteria gets an overnight warm environment to create all kinds of mess within the teeth and the gums
- Make sure to make it a habit to go for floss before you hit the bed.
- Floss helps get rid of any food particles that maybe stuck between the teeth where the brush fails to reach.
What To Look Out For
- Make sure you are in the habit to replace your toothbrush after every 3 months.
- Instead of using a hard bristled brush, use the one with soft bristles.
- Always go to sleep after you have carefully brushed and flossed your teeth.
- Avoid the use of excessive sugar based foods because these are the main causes of oral diseases.
- Add on a good antibacterial mouthwash which will help enhance your oral health.
- Load up on Vitamin C that is a rich source of antioxidants.
- Do not hesitate to visit your doctor when you feel the problem is persisting and the pain is getting unbearable.