PCOS can occur as result of both genetic and environmental factors. It is an endocrine disorder that mostly occurs to women between the ages of 18 and 44. The diagnosis of such a syndrome can be done on the basis of ovarian cyst formation, no ovulation and presence of high levels of androgen in the blood. It’s a syndrome in which women’s hormones are out of balance. Under normal conditions the ovaries produce a small amount of androgen (male sex hormone), but when enfaced with such a disorder; androgen production enhances.This results in physical changes e.g:
- facial hair
- Problems with menstruation and pregnancy may also result.
- The body also finds difficulty in using the insulin – a condition known as insulin resistance.
- Most women may also grow a small cyst on their ovaries – the very origin from where the name Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is derived from.
If untreated for a long time it may cause heart problems and diabetes.
Top 15 Remedies to PCOS
15. Weight Reduction
Obesity paves way for a lot of problems. Thus it is essential that you measure your weight immediately! People do not realize that they are fat until the weighing machine represents a frightening number. Well, you need not to be worried at this stage. Awareness about a problem is the first step towards its solution. Make sure to follow these steps to avoid polycystic ovarian syndrome.
- Make a diet plan and follow it. It may seem difficult at first, but then you will get use to the routine.
- Your diet plan needs not to be strict but should cut down carbs as it is a major source of weight gain.
- Fruits and vegetables should become your staple diet.
- Apart from this it is essential that you involve yourself in bodily exertion to burn off the extra fat. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a couple of boring hours spent in the gym but you can indulge in activities that you really enjoy. This may include playing:
- Going for a swim, and the list goes on endlessly.
As a result both your androgen and insulin levels would be normalized and ovulation would be restored. You could also consult a dietician to advise you more regarding your diet plan.
14. Quit Smoking
“Smoking is injurious to health” – This sentence may have become cliché but holds truth down to this day. Smoking is like sailing on a sinking boat – you know you are going to drown but you hop on for the ride anyway. Apart from an array of life threatening outcomes, it also aggregates PCOS. The androgen level goes high up as a result of smoking. So if you are smoking right down, then it would be wise to press the stud onto the ashtray and promise yourself never to hold it again. Life comes only once, so why not make it somewhere near to perfection. This would be the first step towards it!
13. Take Care of the Liver
Your liver is already loaded with a lot of responsibilities. All you could do is to take care of it a little bit.Liver is responsible for removing old and excess hormones out of the body, so it’s our job to look after it since it’s involved in a very important task.
- Avoid consumption of foods that are processed.
- The same goes for the sugary stuff.
This is because you would be piling the liver with greater work load and it would not be able to meet the deadline. As a result the unwanted hormones would stay in our body for a longer period of time. Eat garlic, lemon, and beets as they have a positive impact upon the liver. These things will help you avoid PCOS symptoms.
12. Avoid Preservatives
Preservatives that are added in food to enhance its taste or for the purpose of its preservation, are extremely harmful for one’s heath especially for people suffering from PCOS. Preservatives hamper with insulin production and also reduce the liver’s ability to work to its maximum capacity.It could be said that preservatives act as a barrier towards the smooth functionality of the liver. Thus under such circumstances, the symptoms of PCOS would be aggregated.
11. Take Good Fats
No matter how attractive the bad fats look – don’t be tempted! They are extremely dangerous for your body.The intake of good fats is essential for our normal bodily functions. The presence of fats in our body not only produces hormones but also plays in a part in its maintenance. For example progesterone can only be produced in the presence of cholesterol. While our body does make a small quantity of cholesterol; its consumption is also necessary to bring it up to the required optimal amount. Whenever we are talking about good fats we are referring to those that are not highly processed. These would therefore include:
- Butter from cows feeding on pasture is good fat. It is rich in vitamins that are fat soluble.
- Coconut oil also fits the category of good fat. The presence of fatty acids in it makes it good for storing food. Large amounts of energy is also stored in it. Best results are produced if it’s only slightly heated since it has a high smoking point.
- Extra virgin olive oil is also a very good choice. It has a strong taste. This oil could be used for the dressing of your favourite Sunday salad or for making any of your other dishes. It is also very beneficial for the heart. Make sure to use it to avoid polycystic ovary syndrome.
- It’s best to stay away from vegetable oil, corn oil, soybean oil and canola since they are highly processed versions of oil.
10. Get Enough Magnesium
The intake of magnesium is immensely important. It plays a vital role in improving insulin sensitivity – a factor contributing to PCOS and even type 2 diabetes. Make sure to increase its use in your diet to avoid polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Below are some foods that contain the dietary supplement (magnesium).
- leafy greens
- dark chocolate
On the other hand one could also get supplementary pills. They would be easily available at a nearby pharmacy of yours. However caution must be taken as too much intake of magnesium can cause diarrhea because the body is in the process of eliminating the excess.
9. Increase Chromium Intake
Chromium is an essential mineral that needs to be consumed for insulin and blood sugar level regulation. Hence a daily intake is vital in order to curb any disorder. For this purpose chromium supplements could be consumed especially if you’re feeling PCOS symptoms.
Sources of chromium:
- dairy products
- chicken breast
- sea food
Omega-3 fatty acids are found in fish. It’s a polyunsaturated fat that has numerous benefits. It is really effective against polycystic ovary syndrome.
- They are helpful in reducing androgen level in women suffering from PCOS.
- According to a study women who consumed 3 mg of omega-3s once a day for a time span of 2 months had lower concentrations of testosterone and as a result had regular periods as compared to participants who had a placebo.
7. Vitamin D and Calcium
We all have been hearing since childhood that consumption of Vitamin D and calcium is crucial for normal growth and development. Well, the same stands true during adulthood as well as old age. It is important throughout our years of growth and development, however the quantity needs to be controlled with age to avoid any adverse effects. Make sure to use these in proper amount to avoid polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Women who were infertile with PCOS under a case study were given a daily intake of 1500mg of metformin along with calcium and Vitamin D. Radical improvements in their menstrual cycle and BMI occurred.
Sources of calcium:
Sources of vitamin D:
- Fatty fish
- beef liver
It should be noted here that consumption of such foods should be controlled as it can lead to obesity.
6. Increased Water Intake
It is essential for the body to be regularly flushed out of the unwanted and harmful substances.
- For this, water intake should be around 8 to 11 glasses per day to decrease PCOS symptoms.
Radicals and other toxic substances are also essential to be removed because they can cause hormonal imbalance leading to PCOS in women.
- Consuming loads of juicy fruits and vegetables can also be a source of enhancing level of water in your body. Apart from this water has multifold advantages.
This is a very effective technique. It involves sleeping in complete darkness with a break of three days along the row. It is essential that one is deprived of any source of light during their sleeping hours. This is because there is a strong link between darkness and hormone production. Make sure to use this effective technique to get rid of polycystic ovarian syndrome.
- Any sourceof light, may it be of an alarm clock, street lights or a night light – can disrupt the production of hormones in the body.
- Hence in order to practice lunaception, one can draw their curtains and keep all sources of light that may turn on during the night away from where you would be asleep.
- Continue this process until day 13.
- On the 13th day you would use a dim light while you are asleep.
- This should only be continued for three days, after which the same routine would be repeated until day 13.
This method helps in the process of ovulation and menstrual cycles get more regular and stabilized in women suffering from PCOS.
Cinnamon is very effective in women suffering from PCOS. Cinnamon supplementation is successful in putting regularity to the menstrual cycles in patients suffering from this disorder. This herb also produces positive results to the condition – insulin resistance. Make sure to use it every day for polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Quick link = Benefits of cinnamon
- Cinnamon drink
It tastes lovely! This could easily be prepared by mixing one teaspoon of cinnamon powder into a glass of warm water. Drink it daily and continue it for a few months, until desired results are attained.
- Herb Supplement
Cinnamon capsules are also easily available. It is required that you consult your doctor for this purpose. The doctors usually recommend cinnamon capsules of strength 1000mg to be taken thrice a day for a time span that may vary from patient to patient.
- As a spice
It could be added as a spicy ingredient to your daily meals. You can sprinkle it on top of chicken curry, lentils, salad, yogurt and even a sandwich.
Note however that if you are taking cinnamon to curb insulin resistance, then do not exceed two teaspoons a day as it can cause lowering of the blood sugar level.
Flaxseeds are very effective in controlling the quantity of androgen produced in our body. The concentration of SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin) is enhanced as a result of lignans – found in flaxseeds, which are responsible for sticking together testosterone in the blood thus protecting the body from a whole lot of chaos. Experts rate it very high for decreasing PCOS symptoms.
2. Spearmint Tea
Spearmint tea is very effective and helps dealing with patients suffering from PCOS. This is because it possesses anti – androgenic properties. It is capable of reducing testosterone level in the body and enhances levels of LH (luteinizing hormone) and FSH (follicle stimulating hormone). As a result it helps in reducing hirsutism or excess body hair. So it is highly recommended to use against polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Procedure for making spearmint tea:
- Pour a cup of water in a pan and bring it to a boil.
- Add one teaspoon of dried spearmint leaves in the boiling water.
- Leave it to simmer for 9 – 11 minutes by placing a lid on top.
- Strain the tea and drink it twice during the day for a couple of weeks.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has a direct impact upon controlling the blood sugar level in patients suffering from PCOS. It also ensures that not too much insulin is produced and hence less testosterone production would occur. This is because insulin stimulates the production of testosterone in our body. It’s also beneficial in reducing the body weight.
- It is extremely simple.
- Add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
- Drink it with an empty stomach in the morning and also before meals.
- Continue it for several weeks until results become apparent.
- Proceed with the remedies in a continued pattern for effective results.
- In extreme cases consult a doctor.
- Take dietary supplements under the supervision of a doctor
- Do not proceed with the remedies if allergic reactions appear with any of them.
- Do not exceed the quantity or frequency of any of the remedies.