Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. It may be due to the attack by a bacteria, virus, fungi or parasites. Their destructive inhabitation causes inflammation in the lungs and the air sacs are filled with pus. The inflammation may target a single lung – the condition known as single pneumonia or both the lungs are targeted – a condition known as double pneumonia. Another type is known as walking pneumonia which is less serious than typical lung infection pneumonia. The body acts as a guard towards foreign invasions but at times the attack is more for it to bear. The infection then overpowers the immune system, thus generating symptoms of the existence of germs.
Whatever the case may be, it is essential that one consults the doctor immediately. This is because prompt treatment is required otherwise the condition would worsen. Home treatment should occur in conjunction to the recommended treatment by the doctor. Is pneumonia contagious? It depends on the type of pneumonia as some are less contagious and some are very high.
Quick link = How to get rid of a headache
Top 20 Remedies to Pneumonia
In this aspect, I have to say that rabbits are wiser than humans! They know how important carrots are and that’s why we would see a bunny nibbling on one too. These crisp textured orange colored root vegetables have immense associated health benefits. It helps in tackling pneumonia by providing the immune system with sufficient strength and energy. Also it possesses antiseptic qualities that promote the clearance of germs.
Carrots also have many other benefits. It promotes improved vision, cancer prevention and also acts as a natural detox. So eating carrots is recommended for prevention and also when you feel pneumonia symptoms.
They could be eaten raw or could be cooked. 1 to 2 carrots is a sufficient amount to be consumed a day. However when wanting to prepare a juice 3 to 4 medium sized carrots are required. You could also mix orange and lemon juice for enhanced flavour and added advantages.
Whenever one is searching for home remedies to a particular disease, turmeric finds its ways in one or the other. This is because of the immense health benefits associated with it. This is why it is also known as the medical herb. Turmeric works effectively against the germs ensuing their complete elimination from the body and promoting better health and a favorable internal environment. Just try this DIY solution when you feel symptoms of pneumonia and see the amazing benefits.
Quick link = Turmeric benefits
The preparation mode is as follow:
- Take a teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix it in a glass of warm water. Milk could also be used.
- Add a pinch of salt to the mixture.
- Drink turmeric milk/water every day, preferably before going to bed.
An alternative approach is as follow:
- Take a glass of water and warm it up.
- Add one quarter of a teaspoon of pepper powder.
- Add one teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Take it once a day till your time of recovery.
18. Parsnip Juice
Parsnip juice is very effective in dealing with pneumonia. This is because of the presence of high amounts of vitamins e.g potassium. Drink it every day for favorable results. It is better if it is made fresh.
Ginger can act both as a spice and a medicine. It is very effective in dealing with pneumonia.
- Take a piece of ginger and cut it into slivers.
- Put these slivers into a blending machine and blend till its juice is extracted completely.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Add few drops of lime juice.
- Blend again and the juice is prepared.
For effective results consume the juice once a day before going to bed. Make sure to do this when you’re healthy or feeling pneumonia symptoms.
Quick link = Benefits of ginger
Ginger also has many other advantages associated to it. It ensures normal blood circulation, improves absorption and stimulation of important nutrients around the body, helps in dealing with colon and ovarian cancer, strengthens immunity and combats morning sickness.
“The various remedial approaches are applicable on both adults and children. It is essential to know that one should not instantly indulge in medicines and cough syrups when few symptoms of pneumonia are apparent. It is wise to detect the problem prior to treatment. However, as the home remedial approaches pose no negative effects – these can be consumed.”
16. Salt Water
The approach of gargling with salt water is a very effective in dealing with pneumonia. Favourable outcomes are produced when taken thrice a day. Positive impact results because salt water helps in clearing up the respiratory tract. The tenacious period of coughing also wards off. It is especially found effective in walking pneumonia.
15. Baking Soda
Baking soda helps in the removal of toxins. Reducing the concentration of toxins helps in curing pneumonia.
- Warm a cup of water.
- Add one quarter tea spoon of baking soda into the water.
For most effective results it is recommended to consume it twice daily.
14. Lemon Juice
The juice of lemon if packed with vitamins and minerals – essential for smooth functionality of the body. It has an antibacterial action because of the presence of Vitamin C. In case of high temperature, the lemon juice helps in stabilizing the bodily temperature to ensure normal homeostasis. This also helps in the regulation of chemical activities occurring in the body. The immune system is also boosted as a result of lemon juice consumption. As a result it is better able to tackle with the invasive germs occupying the body and causing destructive effects. Highly recommended if you’re suffering from walking pneumonia.
Quick link = Benefits of lemon water
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon.
- Pour the juice in warm water.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt.
For most effective results it is recommended to drink this juice every day.
13. Black Tea
For all the tea lovers – here is a treat for you; not only will you enjoy your favorite beverage but it is also accompanied with health related benefits. Black tea gives you a soothing feeling when you’re feeling pneumonia symptoms.
- Make a cup of black tea as per your choice.
- Add 3 teaspoons of fenugreek seed powder.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of honey. (you could also use sugar instead of honey)
- Mix the resulting mixture well.
It is recommended to drink this black tea once a day on a regular basis. It is essential that you do not increase the intake more than that is recommended. This is to ensure that negative effects do not appear.
Garlic helps in clearing the chest and lungs. Since it is very hot, it helps in reducing the body temperature. It might leave you with a bad breath; but come on you can brush your teeth one extra time!
- Peel 2 to 3 cloves of garlic.
- Make a fine paste of the peeled garlic.
- Rub the resulting paste onto your feet.
- Put on the socks and then go off to sleep.
- Add one quarter of milk to three quarters of water.
- Add one and a half teaspoon of garlic paste.
- Blend the resulting mixture.
- Boil the mixture till it reduces to one quarter of its original amount.
Have this drink thrice a day for most effective results if you’re feeling symptoms of pneumonia.
A different approach
- Garlic chutney could also be prepared. This could either be sweet or sour.
- Crush 2 to 3 cloves of garlic.
- Add few drops of lemon.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Mix the entire mixture well.
This mixture could be stored if prepared in large amounts. 1 teaspoon of such a mixture must be consumed on daily basis.
11. Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds have a miraculous impact upon the health of the body. It successfully deals with pneumonia.
- Add one teaspoon of sesame seeds to a cup of boiling water.
- Leave sesame seeds in boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes until they soften entirely.
- Then add 1 tablespoon of flax seeds.
- Boil the entire mixture for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Add half a teaspoon of honey. This also brings a pleasant taste to the drink.
Drink this mixture once a day. It is most effective if consumed early in the morning with an empty stomach. Highly recommended in all kinds of pneumonia especially for a quick relief in walking pneumonia.
10. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is very effective in dealing with pneumonia. This is because it stimulates the release of mucous. With the removal of mucous from the respiratory tract, ease in breathing occurs.
- Fill the jug with water (the water needs not to be of elevated temperature).
- Add juice of two lemons into the jug of water.
- Sprinkle cayenne pepper.
Drink this mixture three to five times a day to successfully get rid of pneumonia symptoms.
9. Steam Bath
Steam bath is a very effective way for dealing with the problem of pneumonia. It not only produces comforting effects but enhanced levels of relaxation is also attained. Simply fill up your bath tub with hot water. Pour in a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Inhale the vapors for 10 to 15 minutes while sitting in the bath tub.
A remedial approach involves placing hot water into a bucket and leaning over the bucket to inhale the uprising vapors while covering the head with a towel. This is a faster approach to fulfilling the purpose of this remedy as few vapors are capable of escaping and majority gets its way into the nasal passage and the lung cavity to target positively the affected areas. Breathing is greatly improved as a result and coughing seizes.
“This article would have certainly brought you some comfort if your loved one was fighting from pneumonia. It is an easy approach and does not require any hard work on your part. Effective results are produces in a matter of days.”
8. Vegetable Juice
The essence of vegetables (vegetable juice) is like stealing the power packed nutritional content from the vegetables. It has innumerable advantages for the body.
This is why the habit of eating vegetables is imposed by parents to their children.
Vegetables such as spinach, beets, carrots and cucumbers help boost up the immune system – making it stronger to fight against the deleterious germs inhabiting inside our body. The vegetables in themselves also act as detoxifying agents – ensuring the exit of germs from our body and prompting greater health. This is highly recommended for all kinds of pneumonia including walking pneumonia.
- Take 1 cucumber.
- Take 1 beetroot.
- Take three carrots.
- Put all of the vegetables into a blender and blend until juice is generated.
- Add a pinch of salt for taste.
Best results are shown if this juice is consumed thrice a day. You may exceed the recommended amount. It is also helpful for those individuals that are seeking methods for reducing excessive weight.
7. Turpentine And Camphor Massage
There are people who love massages. Well, one source of joy even when you are sick!
Mix camphor and turpentine in a bowl. Mix them well together. Gently rub in on your chest. Immediately put on a sweater after applying the oil. This method is effective in both adults and children. Desired positive results occur after a small span of time.
6. Pumpkin Leaf
Pumpkin leaves are very effective in producing relief from pneumonia. This is because of the soothing sensation it generates. Make sure to use it when you first feel pneumonia symptoms.
- Put on a frying pan on a stove and warm it up slightly.
- Put in a splash of olive oil.
- Stir fry pumpkin leaves. (a bunch would be more than enough for a single serving)
- Take the leaves out after they have decolorized a little. (This may take 30 to 40 seconds)
- Cool the leaves for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Make a paste of the leaves.
- Passage the resulting paste over the chest.
This helps in the attainment of relief from the pain generated as a result of pneumonia.
5. Mustard Pack
Mustard is an anti-oxidant and is successful in opening up the pores of the skin.
- Add half a cup of mustard pack.
- Add half a cup of wheat flour.
- Add one egg.
- Add water.
- Then blend the entire mixture together.
Massage the resulting mixture onto the chest. Leave it for a time span of 20 minutes. For effective results apply the pack twice a week.
4. Oregano Oil
I have to admit that oregano is my favorite herb; the same goes for many other people. One of the many negative aspect of an illness is that you never get to eat anything you like. But, here is an opportunity for the oregano lovers to consume it in the form of oil. It has an intense flavor and tantalizes your taste buds.
- Take 2 to three teaspoons of oregano oil and place it in warm water.
- For most effective results drink it once daily.
- It can also be added to any of your favorite drink.
3. Homemade Cough Syrup
Who says that only pharmacists are capable of making medicinal syrups? You are equally capable of making one for yourself. It does not even require strenuous effort and all the ingredients involved in its preparation could be easily found in your pantry.
- Get some water in a saucepan.
- Add 2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder.
- Add 2 teaspoons of ginger powder.
- Add 2 teaspoons of dried mullein leaves.
- Add 2 teaspoons of dried rosemary leaves.
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Boil the entire mixture.
- Simmer it for 20 to 30 minutes until half of the original amount is left.
- Pour the mixture into a container by straining it.
- Allow it to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then place in the refrigerator.
Most effective results are produced when half a teaspoon of the syrup is consumed at two-hour interval.
2. Avoid The Use Of Alcohol
Alcohol consumption should be kept at a minimum. Increased intake would only make the existing condition worse.
1. Get Plenty Of Rest
Under normal conditions, the body needs rest. When confronted with such an illness as pneumonia increased demand of rest is required. It is essential that one covers the normal sleeping hours and also takes additional rest. This could occur at any hour of the day. This is to ensure that we are not driving the body towards fatigue – a condition that could be easily approached when one is suffering from pneumonia.
- Place a hand over your mouth while sneezing or coughing. This is to ensure that the infection does not get transmitted to another person.
- Wash your hands frequently – a safety measure to prevent others from catching the illness.
- Drink plenty of water and juices. This is to ensure that the body at all times is fully hydrated.
- Parents suffering from pneumonia should instantly quit smoking as it would only aggregate the existing situation. It also causes breathing to be a strenuous process as further blockage of the air sacs occur as a result of contamination from nicotine, tar and carbon monoxide – ingredients present in the cigarette.
- Do not exceed from the recommended amount.