Canker sores or more commonly known as Mouth Ulcers are accompanied by pain, irritation, annoyance and lot of uncomfortable feelings. These sores are found to appear on the tongue, on the gums, inside cheeks and lips. They are comprised of an immense burning sensation that almost makes it impossible for an individual to enjoy having a bite or a sip out of anything. The first signs of having a mouth ulcer is not the actual ulcer appearance but the sense and feeling of something tingling at the place where the ulcers are about to appear. These ulcers are yellow in color with a sharp pink or red outline. The time period for these ulcers to vanish is between a week to almost 10 days. The intensity goes on becoming less painful towards the end till they vanish. Mouth ulcers are found to appear either alone or in groups.
There are a number of reasons for people to suffer from Mouth Ulcers and a few of them are due to some major kind of nutritional deficiencies, most of the time after a Doctor’s consultation most people are only suggested to have Folic acid tablets and are asked to relax as these ulcers take their own time to leave. There are some cases where poor dental hygiene might lead to mouth ulcers; there can be hormonal changes/imbalances or some kind of bowel infections where the reaction tends to show mouth ulcers as one of the sign. Most of the time women even get mouth ulcers as a week before their menstruation, which is like their alarm to settle them for the date. Stress too is another major factor that again leads to hormonal imbalances and ends up in certain kind of skin outbreaks. There is no definite permanent cure for the mouth ulcer but there are a number of useful home remedies that do minimize the pain and help you feel less irritated.
15. Eucalyptus And Peppermint Spray
There are a number of ways to suppress the pain that is caused by the canker sores because that is the only huge issue attached with the mouth ulcers. Here we can use the antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties of both eucalyptus and peppermint essential oils that can help clear up the area around the ulcers as well and may also act like antimicrobial agents to lay away any signs of further expansion of the ulcers. Eucalyptus and Peppermint oils are also to known have some numbing properties and this actually relieves the pain from the affected area. Here are some tips to use these for ulcers in mouth.
- Get yourself a glass mister bottle.
- Add in the bottle about 10 drops of peppermint oil
- Then add 8 drops of eucalyptus oil.
- And then add 2 drops of olive oil.
- After adding the oils, cover the bottle and shake well before every use.
- You are to apply the mixture directly at the ulcer points.
14. Using Chamomile Tea Bags Or Leaves
Chamomile is basically a plant that is consisting of flowers that look like daisies. In herbal terminology Chamomile has several properties that help reduce inflammation in infected areas and also has smoothening effects. If you have chamomile based tea bags available at home or you can instead find yourself raw Chamomile leaves these can be used as an excellent source of reducing pain and irritation from the mouth ulcers and mouth sores. These leaves and flowers are known to have antiseptic abilities that reduce the chances of ulcers spreading in different areas.
- Use a chamomile tea bag or wrap a bunch of chamomile flowers in cheesecloth.
- Dip the teabag or the cloth in warm water for about a minute and then let it rest to cool.
- Later on press the tea bag against the mouth ulcers and keep it there for 5-10minutes.
- You can repeat this activity twice or thrice in a day.
13. Think Of Sage
Sage is what we know as the herb that has a connection somewhere with the mint dynasty. This herb has been a part of culinary usage as well as homeopathic medicines for centuries and has always been known to have several curative abilities. People in the long lost years were assumed to be using sage leaves and its water as a best way to remove oral infections and to soothe the oral pain and canker sore. Hence what we know about sage is that this is just another amazing way to get rid of the ulcers and the dreadful pain.
- What you basically need is a handful of the leaves or you can even use the dried form about 2-3 tablespoons and some fresh water
- In case of the dried form you better infuse the herb into the water for a minute or so and then once it comes at room temperature simply swish the water inside the mouth and carefully move it through the areas that have the ulcers.
12. When In Doubt Use Coconut Oil
It is actually hard to understand that what isn’t actually there that cannot be cured with the help of coconut oil? This is just miracle oil that treats hair loss, mental disorders, bowel infections and the list simply goes on. Mother Nature sure has its ways to save our pockets from unnecessary medication load and instead gives us cheap and reliable means to not only benefit from but to stick with for the rest of our lives. This is just another source of getting rid of the inflammation and has abilities to hinder any kind of microbial growth and mouth ulcer.
- You just require some coconut oil.
- Take a generous amount on the finger and cover the ulcer.
- Don’t take a small amount because it is known to melt and a small amount will simply vanish and fly away.
11. Make A Cotton Ball Of Clove Oil
There have been many remedies where oils have been used in means of applying them over cotton balls and then pressing them against the affected areas. These remedies have known to work the best when repeated a number of times in a day. Here clove oil composed of Eugenol is basically a known and an effective painkiller. This is also used at times of excessive pain in the gums. There are though pure extracts of Eugenol oil available in the market but mostly people still prefer using clove oil for many purposes especially for ulcers in mouth.
- You have to mix up about half teaspoon of olive oil with 4-5 drops of clove oil.
- To prep up the place simply wash your mouth with clear and cold water.
- Then take cotton ball and dip it into the mixture and damp it nicely.
- Apply the cotton ball onto the ulcer and press it for a good 5-8 minutes to give you that numbing feeling that is known to relieve the pain.
10. Mixing Up A Honey Rub
Pure and organic honey is naturally a remedy for a number of problems itself. It has that relaxing and soothing effect on infectious surfaces because it is based to provide anti-inflammatory along with antibacterial services to avoid any kind of spread of the infection from the infected area. Honey is especially found to be effective for mouth sores. The thick consistency of the honey makes it easier to cover the ulcerated areas and the best time to cover it up is before going to sleep.
- Simply swish your mouth with some warm water, this is done to cleanse it off of any impurities that might be there.
- Then on to your finger and apply it on the ulcers.
9. Creating A Wax Cap
Having mouth ulcers during the time when you have got your braces done and tightened is most common, maybe because there is way too much happening inside with the wires and brackets. Tragedy is that these happen to irritate and rub against the mouth ulcers over and over again and whatever remedy you seem to be doing for a long while ends up getting to the drain. Beeswax however is known to be the right solution for people who are dealing it along with either braces or dentures. Here how you can use it effectively for canker sore.
- Grab a tablespoon of beeswax and 2 teaspoons of coconut oil.
- Just melt both the things together and allow them to cool.
- When they are finally cool just grab and mould a cap to place on top of the bracket that seems to be constantly rubbing the sore.
- Cover it up nicely and you are good to go for a long while.
8. Trust Us With Cayenne
This might sound like the most ridiculous of all the home remedies that we would have discussed in this entire article. But trust us when we say that the substance capsaicin present inside Cayenne pepper is what we are looking out for. The same substance known to create heat factor also has the ability to suppress a Substance P known to signal painful emotions. This when applied to the ulcers actually suppresses the pain which does sound like an entirely opposite journey.
- You need cayenne pepper (of course), water and some cotton balls.
- You just need to mix the two in order to form a thick paste which then can be picked up from the cotton ball and applied right on to the ulcers.
- Repeat this method about 2-3 times in the day to get relief from mouth ulcer.
7. Using Aloe Vera Rinse
Aloe Vera is one life saving plant that won’t ever leave your home and will rather fill it with a hundred different kinds of home remedies to brighten and tighten your skin, thicken and bring shine to your hair, and improve your overall health, while these are just a few examples of what aloe vera is actually capable of. This plant is known as the soothing king. It is advised that to use the natural gel coming out from the plant rather than the extract for ulcers in mouty.
- You will be using aloe vera gel with the water.
- Mix the gel with water and use it to swish inside the mouth and repeat this about 2-3 times daily to soothe out the pain.
6. Add Yogurt To The Diet
Yogurt is one healthy and delicious dairy product that is known to soothe out anything harsh in the belly. Yogurt is formed by the fermentation of milk, meaning bacteria are used to convert the milk into yogurt. There’s no need to be disgusted about it because these are all good bacteria known to convert the rich goodness of milk in to creamy yogurt. This is why yogurt is recommended to treat mouth sores or canker sores because having yogurt 2-3 times in a day actually balances the bacterial level inside the mouth. Sometimes it is because of such imbalances that ulcers usually break out.
Quick link = Canker sore treatment
5. To Do Salt Water Gargles
Dentists always recommend doing salt water gargles whenever you have gotten a tooth out by either a surgery or simply getting it plucked out. Salt water seems to have numbing properties that also help to balance out water levels inside the cells through osmosis. Sometimes your canker sore is far swollen and red than usual in that case the salt helps reduce the painful swelling like what it is known to do with sore throats. Warm water is used to create a soothing effect to relieve the pain and to also keep the affected area clean.
- Add a teaspoon of salt to warm water
- Mix it up well and gargle it for good 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat this procedure 3-4 times in a day.
4. Neutralizing With Baking Soda
Baking soda commonly called as Bicarbonate soda is used to balance out any acidity that is present inside the mouth caused by excessive intake of acidic foods and beverages. Its main task is to neutralize the acid ratio and reduce inflammation along with controlling germs in the infected areas. It does give a mild to strong burning sensation but the pain seems to get you numb after a while.
- You need to mix a tablespoon or two with just a small amount of water to convert it into a thick paste.
- Take a small amount of the paste and apply it on to the ulcers.
- Otherwise, if you feel you are strong enough you can directly sprinkle some baking soda directly on to the ulcers.
3. Effectiveness Of Licorice Root
We have mentioned the use of licorice root at the time of fever blisters; canker sores too are found to be on the same line but are however formed inside the mouth. Anyway, licorice root can be used in almost the exact manner to get rid of any inflammation or pain caused by the mouth ulcers.
- Add licorice root in to some water and let it rest for good 3-4 hours.
- Later, use this water to swish and cleanse the inside of your mouth.
2. Coriander Seeds
Coriander seeds are basically a heavy part of most Ayurvedic remedies. The plant is good at reducing any signs of inflammation caused by the pain inside the ulcers.
- Boil about a teaspoon full of coriander seeds in water and strain it in a cup.
- Let the cooked water cool for a while
- Use the water to cleanse the mouth and repeat the procedure 2-3 times in a day.
1. Chewing Celery
This home remedy is as easy as it sounds. Chewing on a fresh stalk of celery can actually help you soothe out the pain in your ulcers. Celery is rich in folic acid and vitamins B2, B6, B1 and C. Simply chew onto some celery and try to keep some chewed on pulp over the ulcer affected area. This home remedy will not only kill the ulcer pain but will also get rid of any bad breath that might have been a nuisance.
Try These Out
- You are meant to avoid all kinds of spice based foods, acidic beverages, also foods that are either too hot or too salty.
- Do not go after tobacco or any kind of alcohol.
- Make gargling with salted warm water a daily ritual.
- Go for cold, ice based foods, like ice pops, fresh ice, cold shakes and sherbets.
- Do not pick or press on to the ulcers at any cost.