Head lice are basically parasites that house on the human head. It is a very tiny brown-grey parasitic insect that affect only humans. These small wingless insects suck blood from the scalp and make the person uneasy. They are not easy to catch and usually do not pass on to the animals. Tiny white specks that are stuck on the base of the hair are the eggs of head lice and are usually called Nits.
An infestation or we can say severe problem of head lice is called pediculosis capitis. Pediculosis capitis is the second most disease that is common among children after the common cold and its reactions are rally worse. Around the world, it is commonly known as a disease caused by unhygienic and dirty environment or negligence of the parents. But the case is different; parents should not feel embarrassed or guilty about it.
Lice eggs take about 7-10 days to hatch and 14 days to get mature. A grown up louse is about 2-3 mm in size and in 14 days it is ready to reproduce. The head lice infestation usually doesn’t show any significant symptoms but the most common signs they throw are:
- You can see tiny little red bumps on the scalp, shoulder and neck.
- Too much itching on the scalp. It is basically the reaction of saliva that lice leave while feeding.
- On checking somebody’s head, you will find nits on the base of roots and when combed over a piece of cloth, you may also find some mature lice crawling around.
- The base of the hair may carry some white pinhead nits that are sometimes mistakenly taken as dandruff. Dandruff can be easily brushed out whereas nits cannot be.
- Lice can sometimes be spotted at the back of the neck or ears which are their favorite places to hide.
Along with the some symptoms explained above, there are many circumstances that cause the production and transfer of head lice:Head-t-Head contact: This stubborn disease can be transferred from person to person by close hair contact. Lice usually walk from one hair to another as they cannot jump, fly or swim like fleas.Sharing furniture and some personal items: Lice can also get transferred in case you use someone’s personal stuff or furniture that may also include clothing etc.
- Hair accessories.
- Hats or caps.
- Upholstered furniture.
After the production of nits, lice usually glue these nits to the base shaft of the hair. Eggs found above the scalp have either hatched or they will not, so finding nits on the hair doesn’t mean that there is an infestation on the head. Even if you find them attached to the base shaft you may always suspect the formation of infestation, but still you cannot be sure. Nits are always visible to the naked eye, but you can make it more convenient by using a magnifying glass.
Excessive itching may signal you the formation of lice on your head especially your children, so it is always recommended to check your children’s hair regularly. Many people sometimes do not itch even if they are having this infestation. Itching is usually not caused by lice bite, but it is the allergic reaction that is caused by louse saliva. Sometimes itching may not emerge until three months of infestation.
The problem of head lice can be easily cured at home by following some very effective, old and famous home remedies. You just have to keep a check and whenever you find them crawling around the head then always go for some home-based solution. In extreme and severe cases, it is advised to see a doctor as soon as possible.
“To fight against head lice, it is always advised to follow some natural home remedies at the first place.”
15. Petroleum Jelly
Some studies have found that petroleum jelly works well for the elimination of head lice. But somewhat it is hard to remove it from the head. The content of the petroleum jelly gives a stifling effect to the roaming and running around lice, thus making one’s job easier to exclude them from the hair on time. You can use this head lice treatment using petroleum jelly this way.
- All you have to do is apply a thick layer of petroleum jelly on your head that is deep inside the scalp and covering the hair.
- Make sure you do it before going to bed.
- Tightly cover your head with a towel or a shower cap and leave it overnight.
- Next day in the morning use some baby oil to remove petroleum jelly from the hair.
- Comb your hair thoroughly to remove the lice and nits.
- Repeat this procedure for several nights.
14. Hair Dryer
Studies have shown that hot air can show some wonders in the treatment of head lice. Hot-air methods have proved their highly effective success in killing nits and lice. Blow drying using direct hit kills almost 98% of nits and lice. Because of this accuracy it is one of the most effective home remedies for head lice. The method to follow is just simple, you need a good brand hair dryer that can effectively do the work.
- Shampoo and thoroughly wash your hair.
- First completely blow-dry your hair.
- Section your hair where you find nits and lice.
- Throw some direct heat from the dryer to effect the nits and lice.
- Keep of brushing and combing to eliminate them from your hair.
Note: Avoid blow drying after applying any lice chemicals that might be flammable.
13. Nit Picking And Combing
The very old and standard technique of removing head lice is the picking and combing method. This method works in conjunction with other home remedies and thus gives some very successful results. This is a work for a person with clear and accurate vision in order to successfully remove the problem makers.
- Comb your hair properly and section them.
- Take the special nit comb and began combing your hair section by section.
- Keep on picking nits and lice and always remember to dispose them off.
- Repeat this procedure whenever you wash your hair.
- Apply some baby oil on your scalp for relaxation, as excessive combing may cause little irritation.
12. Alcohol And Essential Oil Spray
This is another simple remedy if you want to learn how to get rid of lice easily. Alcohol can be very effective for the treatment of nits and lice. When combined with some essential oil it will show some amazing results. The chemical is basically benzyl alcohol that shows some amazing result. This chemical is easily available in the market and you just have to fill it in a spray bottle. Just follow these steps to try this simple but effective DIY remedy.
- Mix half a cup of benzyl alcohol and add some essential oil such as olive or coconut oil.
- Mix it well and fill it in a spray bottle.
- Spray your complete hair and scalp with this spray and keep it for about 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse it off thoroughly with fresh water.
- Use nit comb to remove lice and nits, as the spray will make the process easier.
Permethrin is an active ingredient in many over-the-counter products use to control and kill lice. It is a kind of an insecticide and the synthetic version of pyrethrum and it works the same way as permethrin, just to attack and kill lice. But reports have also found that lice can get resistant to this chemical and may cause some allergic reaction.
- Shampoo your hair and pat them dry.
- Saturate your head with this chemical mixed with some water.
- Leave it for 10 minutes and then rinse.
- Use this procedure for about 7 days.
10. Sesame Seed Oil
Being a good source of antifungal, antibacterial and insecticidal properties, sesame seed oil can also be used properly to overcome the problem of head lice. Its insecticidal property will kill the lice and nits on the head and will help you to remove them easily. To use this amazing head lice treatment you need to follow these steps.
- Take 1/4 cup of sesame seed oil; add 1/8 cup of Neem oil, one teaspoon tea tree oil, 1 1/2 teaspoon eucalyptus or rosemary oil and 10 drops of lavender essential oil.
- Mix well all the ingredients.
- Properly rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar and allow them to dry.
- Apply the above solution in a way it spreads all over your hair and scalp.
- Cover your head with a shower cap or towel and keep it overnight.
- Next morning, comb your hair to remove lice and nits.
- Later on shampoo and rinse properly.
- Repeat the method for 2 weeks.
9. Shrink Wrap Method
Shrink wrapping is basically suffocation the lice present on the head. Rather than its name there is no involvement of plastic wrap in any of the procedure. It involves the application of a gentle skin cleanser known as Cetaphil to the dry hair.
- Apply the Cetaphil spray n the hair and scalp.
- Comb out as much as possible to remove nits and lice.
- Later on wash you hair and pat them dry.
- Repeat this 3 times in a week.
Studies have shown that use of this method has killed and eliminated about 96% lice and nits from the patient’s head.
“Essential oils work best for the treatment of nits and head lice. You just have to follow the methods properly.”
Mayonnaise can also be used as an effective head lice treatment. Mayonnaise has some high content of oil and has a thick viscosity that helps to suffocate live head lice and helps to remove them efficiently.
- Generously apply full fat mayonnaise on your head and scalp.
- Cover your hair with shower cap or towel and leave it overnight.
- Shampoo and then comb your hair for any remaining lice.
- Repeat this method daily in case of severe head lice.
7. Coconut Oil
The very lubricating and slippery texture of coconut oil will not let the lice run away and move freely. Thus, it prevents them from multiplying and causing more severe problems. Its effectiveness in removing lice make it one of the best home remedies for lice.
- First wash your hair thoroughly with apple cider vinegar and dry them completely.
- Apply coconut oil completely on the head covering hair and scalp.
- Cover your head with towel or shower cap and leave it overnight.
- Next morning, comb your hair and shampoo later on.
- Repeat this procedure every day for complete care.
6. Baby Oil
This is a simple but effective method for those who want to know how to get rid of head lice without any fuss. For another easiest and reliable treatment of lice is the use of baby oil. It is also believed that baby oil also helps to suffocate the head lice.
- Apply baby oil on your hair and scalp.
- Start combing to dig out lice and nits and dispose them off.
- Wash your hair with shampoo and hot water.
- Before going to bed apply some apple cider vinegar and wear a towel or shower cap and leave it overnight.
- Next morning, wash your hair properly.
- Repeat the procedure as desired.
5. White Vinegar
Another very safe and natural treatment of head lice is the use of white vinegar. This method eliminates head lice and prevents your hair from getting more in the future. Because of the acetic nature of vinegar it helps well in removing this problem. In some of the best home remedies for head lice, this method is really effective.
- Dilute equal amount of water and white vinegar.
- Apply it on your hair and scalp and leave it for 2-3 hours.
- Section your hair and comb them dipped in white vinegar to take out the lice and nits.
- You can also try rinsing your hair with white vinegar before and after shampooing.
4. Tree Tea Oil
Tea tree essential oil is one of the amazing and natural insecticide that makes the treatment of head lice effective and worth trying. This oil is easily available in the market and it’s completely non-toxic. Here we’ll teach you how to get rid of head lice using using tea tree oil.
- Take 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil, one ounce of shampoo and 3 tablespoons of coconut oil and mix them together.
- Apply this mixture on your scalp and hair rubbing all over.
- Cover your head with a shower cap or towel for half an hour and then rinse it thoroughly.
- Comb through your hair while they are wet to take out dead lice.
Note: Do not apply tea tree oil directly on the scalp.
3. Olive Oil
Application of olive oil on your head and scalp will make your hair smoother and shinier, along with a complete treatment of head lice. Olive oil is very effective for your hair health. The procedure to use olive oil for this head lice treatment is very easy.
- Generously apply olive oil onto the hair and scalp before going to bed.
- Cover it with shower cap or towel and keep it overnight.
- Next morning, comb your hair to take out parasites and then wash your hair with an herbal oil containing tea tree oil.
- Another very effective option is to mix half a cup of olive, half a cup of conditioner and some liquid soap.
- Apply this t your hair and keep it for an hour. Later rinse your hair thoroughly.
- Use a nit comb to take out dead nits and lice
- Repeat both the methods twice a week.
Salt can also be used in treating stubborn head lice. It is used to kill head lice through desiccation. The procedure has to be followed carefully and properly to eliminate the head lice completely.
- Mix well one-quarter cup of salt and one-quarter cup of vinegar.
- Spray your hair and scalp with this solution, just to make it wet.
- Cover your hair with shower cap or towel and leave it for 2 hours.
- Then thoroughly wash and condition your hair.
- Repeat this method 3 times in a week to see some positive results.
The strong and powerful essence of garlic can surely suffocate lice, resulting in killing them completely. This natural product has many other benefits along with making your hair beautiful and healthy. Garlic is one of those amazing home remedies for head lice that you can easily try any time.
- Make a paste of 10-12 cloves of garlic and 2-3 teaspoons of lime juice.
- Apple the paste thoroughly on the scalp and hair and leave it for 1 hour.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with hot water.
- Comb your hair for further removal of nits and eggs.
- Repeat this method 3 times a week.
Note: to eliminate the smell of garlic, wash your hair with apple cider vinegar.
Some Quick Facts About Head Lice
- Head lice can pertain in any type of hair type, regardless of how clean they are or not and length of the hair.
- Head lice cannot be transferred from family pets like gods, cats or birds.
- Primary school children are most likely to get this annoying problem.
- You can get head lice when you are in a close contact with people having this problem.
- Women get affected by stubborn head lice more often than men.
- Never use any type of medicated lotions, creams or shampoo as one of the preventive measures. Try to use natural home remedies for best and safe results.
- Following proper steps and methods one can get rid of this infestation more efficiently.
- It should be always kept in mind that the person with the cleanest head may also grab the problem of head lice.
- It is very difficult to prevent from head lice until and unless your lock up the person in the room and start doing the procedures to prevent this issue.
- Always have a close look for your children’s head hygiene, as they might get the problem of nits and head lice.