Gastroenteritis is a severe case of food poising and causes some well-known unpleasant and sudden symptoms. With some people, the condition may resolve without medical services but in severe cases the patient has to seek a medical help. It can be a worse case of dehydration that has caused this problem.
If you feel a sudden attack of vomit and diarrhea and your stomach starts aching. It is no other than the problem of Stomach Flu. It is the infection of stomach and intestine that can cause real time pain. It is the virus that causes this infection but sometimes bacteria can be the trouble maker too. The sickness can prolong for more than 10 days without any use of medication. The first few days of this disease tend to be quite severe but with little medications and home remedies you can control this problem.
Gastroenteritis is basically the inflammation within the lining of the gut, which is in the stomach and small and large intestines. The inflammation is due to the virus and bacteria as we have talked about it before and if it is caused by contaminated food then it is so called food poisoning. It is also well-known as “Gastric Flu”.
There is a list of micro-organisms that are responsible for this kind of ailment. There are three groups of infectious agents that are a big cause of gastroenteritis.
The viruses that commonly attack are:
- Rotavirus – The most common virus that attack children.
- Norovirus – Virus common in adults.
The least effective virus is astrovirus that usually attacks children in the winter, whereas adenovirus mostly affects infants. Also, gastroenteritis affects those patients who have compromised immunity and become exposed to viruses such as cytomegalovirus and enterovirus. The bacteria that commonly cause gastroenteritis are:
- Escherichia coli.
- Clostridium difficile.
The most common well-known symptoms of a typical gastroenteritis are:
- Nausea (vomit feeling).
- Diarrhea (loose stool).
- Vomiting (Throwing up).
- Abdominal pain (Stomach ache).
These symptoms usually occur suddenly and cause a sudden drench to your health. The symptoms can vary depending on the severity of the disease. The symptoms usually occur after eating contaminated food and would appear within few ours. Any vomiting because of contaminated food can prolong for a day or two while diarrhea may last for more than 2 days. In addition to the above disturbing symptoms, gastroenteritis may also bring:
- Weight loss.
- Loss of appetite.
- High fever and chills.
- Too much muscle pain.
The best treatment of gastroenteritis or stomach flu is to hydrate yourself and rest as much as you can. There is a sufficient loss of fluids from the body due to diarrhea and vomiting caused by this disease. This leads to excess dehydration of the body that will affect the normal functionality of the body. Proper healthy food and liquids along with some home remedies can bring upon recovery, natural treatment of this ailment can be very effective, as we have gathered some amazing home remedies that will help you to treat this contagious disease just sitting at home.
“Gastroenteritis is becoming extremely common these days; you just have to try some effective home remedies to overcome this problem.”
15. Hydrate Yourself
A very common cause of gastroenteritis is dehydration that is lack of fluids in the body. You have to make sure that you take at least 3 liters of water per day which is necessary for men and 2.2 liters for women, in order to keep yourself completely hydrated. It really helps in reducing the gastroenteritis symptoms effectively.
- Drink water that is enhanced with some important electrolytes such as Pedialyte, Powerade, Gatorade or coconut water, especially at the time of vomiting and diarrhea. This will help you to regain vitamins and mineral that you might have lost in this disease.
- You can take some oral rehydration salts dissolved in water. This contains all the important minerals, salts and glucose that are lost during gastro.
- Avoid drinking fruit juices or milk if you have this issue. Concentrate on drinking fresh and clean drinking water.
14. Eat Ice Chips
Chop up some ice made with drinking water in a plastic bag with a hammer or meat mallet until it forms little chips, you can also crush the ice in a blender. Suck and lick these small ice chips in order to rehydrate your body. This will bring your body temperature down and will soothe your stomach. You can use this simple gastroenteritis treatment this way:
- Crush ice in a plastic bag or blender.
- Sprinkle some salt and sugar just to add taste and some important minerals.
- You can also add some lime juice so that it can provide important vitamin C to the body.
- Make a snow cone and suck the flavored ice.
13. Brat Diet
Whenever you encounter gastroenteritis, your immediate reaction would be having a BRAT diet. This diet is usually composed of bananas, rice, mashed apples and toasts, this diet is recommended to be taken for about 2 days or until your gastro is cured. It is found to be really helpful especially in viral gastroenteritis.
- These four foods are a rich source of fiber and are easy to eat and digest.
- This diet must be followed proper to cure gastroenteritis as early as possible.
- Some variation can also be added such as yogurt and tea.
- You can also take some soft mashed rice with a flavor of yellow lentils that will help you to retain your help and will provide you energy.
12. Lie Down And Cover Your Tummy
Other than medications and home remedies a quick solution of gastroenteritis is to lie down and curl in a fetal position. Another way is to cover your tummy with a heavy flat sheet or blanket to get relief in stomach flu. This will suppress the pain occurring in the stomach and will ease the patient from getting constant pain intervals. Following these methods the patient will feel quite comfortable whenever they are experiencing this problem.
- Lay down with your tummy towards the ground and push yourself towards it.
- Cover your abdomen with a heavy cloth.
- Massage your abdomen with olive oil in the circular motion.
These amazing methods are quite effective and can be tried on young kids as well as adults. Always try this method even for severe abdominal pain.
11. Green Tea
For some quick and effective results, you can also try some green tea shot. Being an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, it will help you to flush out all sorts of toxins in terms of virus and bacteria out of your body and will ease the pain in your abdomen. This makes it really helpful in healing viral gastroenteritis. This soothing tea is light on your stomach and also helps to reduce the duration of vomiting and stools. It also has anti-nausea properties which help to prevent any kind of morning sickness. Just try this effective DIY remedy and see the results for yourself.
- Take 1 cup of boiling water and add about a teaspoon of green tea.
- Steep it for about 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink the tea.
- Take at least 3 cups a day to get rid of gastroenteritis.
Bananas, both raw and ripe are very effective for the treatment of gastroenteritis. Because of the high content of amylase-resistant starch, bananas help reduce the symptoms of gastroenteritis. They provide some necessary minerals to the body that retains energy and good health.
Bananas are also rich in potassium and magnesium that are two kinds of electrolytes which are required for the non-stop functioning of the digestive system. It is also a kind of bland food that is very easy to digest and helps in the recovery of the body. Make sure to eat banana if you’re feeling gastroenteritis symptoms.
- Slice a medium sized banana and add it to a cup of yogurt.
- Take this meal 2-3 times a day to get essential energy.
- You can also eat ripped bananas or try some raw banana soup.
Probiotics, the well-known good bacteria is an amazing agent to cure gastroenteritis. To kill the bad bacteria present in the digestive tract and replace it with some amazing good bacteria it is always recommended to start eating probiotics. Probiotics helps to bring your digestive system back on track effectively and gives you a big relief from vomiting, loose stool, nausea and abdominal pain. Yogurt and kefir are some rich source of probiotics that help you to gain your energy and reduces the symptoms of gastroenteritis. You can use this effective gastroenteritis treatment this way:
- Take a cup of cold yogurt and add a tablespoon of Psyllium husk.
- Eat this mixture twice daily for some quick and effective results.
- You can also take some probiotics supplements for quick relief.
Peppermint is one of the amazing herbs that help in recovering from many stomach problems. It has effective antispasmodic and antimicrobial properties that help relieve bloating, gas, nausea, upset stomach, abdominal pain and intestinal cramps. All these health benefits make it really effective for treating stomach flu.
- Add about 1 teaspoon of dried peppermint powder in a cup of boiling water.
- Cover and steep it for about 10 minutes.
- Strain and add some honey for flavor.
- Drink this amazing herbal tea 3 times daily between different meals.
- Sugar-free peppermint gums can also be chewed to calm the stomach pain.
“Always go for a BRAT diet whenever you face the problem of having gastroenteritis.”
Chamomile is one of the effective home remedy for gastroenteritis disease because of its antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and carminative properties. It is really an effective gastroenteritis treatment if used regularly. These properties play an important role in soothing the functionality of your digestive system. It can relieve the chronic symptoms like abdominal cramps, gas, nausea, diarrhea and bloating.
- Take one cup of boiling water and add a teaspoon of dried or fresh chamomile flowers.
- Cover and steep for about 10 minutes.
- Strain and add a teaspoon of honey for flavor.
- Drink this effective tea 2-3 times daily for few days.
Basil is a natural herb that has some amazing antispasmodic properties. It prevents contagious gastric spasm and is also a very good home remedy for gastroenteritis. It makes your stomach stronger, helps it to function properly and prevents the symptoms of gastroenteritis.
- Mix some equal amounts of ginger and basil juice and have it at least 2-3 times a day.
- This mixture prevents gastroenteritis symptoms and also eases the stomach pain.
- Boil about 10-15 leaves of basil in fresh water.
- Drink this tea with a pinch of rock salt twice daily.
- You can also try basil tea with honey for some effective results for stomach flu.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can also help out in relieving the major symptoms of gastroenteritis. It will balance the proper pH level of the stomach and will remove the harmful toxins out of the body. Being high in pectin , apple cider vinegar will help soothe stomach cramps and reduces gas, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. You can use it as an effective treatment to cure viral gastroenteritis.
- Add about 1 teaspoon of non-filtered, organic and raw apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this mixture 30 minutes before eating your meal. Follow this method regularly until you feel better.
- You can also try another method where you can add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of grape juice and drink it twice a day.
4. Baking Soda
Being one of the natural antacid, baking soda can perfectly neutralize the amount of acid in the stomach. It will help in reducing heartburn and sour stomach symptoms of gastroenteritis. It is also known in reducing diarrhea and vomiting, easing the pain and trouble in the stomach. Use the following remedy if you’re feeling gastroenteritis symptoms.
- Mix half teaspoon of baking soda, half teaspoon of salt and 4 tablespoons pf sugar in about 1 quart of water.
- Drink this mixture 2-3 times daily until you feel better.
Note: people having blood pressure avoid taking baking soda with sodium.
Ginger is another very effective home treatment for gastroenteritis because of it antiviral, antibacterial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It can also treat and prevent chronic stomach infections and will also reduce the frequent symptom of gastroenteritis such as vomiting, gas, nausea, diarrhea and bloating. It is especially effective in providing relief in viral gastroenteritis.
Quick link = Health benefits of ginger
- Add one teaspoon of freshly grated ginger into a cup of boiling water.
- Cover and steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add honey for flavor.
- Drink this ginger tea 2-3 times daily or until you feel good.
- You can also prepare fresh ginger ale and drink it whole day.
- You can also chew some fresh ginger, as its juices will soothe the stomach pain.
Note: People with high blood pressure should avoid trying this remedy.
Asafoetida is a spice that is rich in antioxidants, antiviral and antibacterial properties. It can also combat disease-causing viruses and bacteria and helps to eliminate the chronic symptoms of gastroenteritis effectively and more quickly. This spice will also improve the digestive system and will strengthen the poor digestive tract. Use this simple remedy if you’re experiencing gastroenteritis symptoms.
- Add half a teaspoon of asafoetida powder to a glass of fresh water.
- Stir well and drink it 2-3 times daily for quick relief.
- You can also sprinkle this spice over curries and foods on regular basis.
Salt is a source of sodium which is an excellent electrolyte. It can be added to water to eliminate dehydration caused by excess vomiting and diarrhea. Also, intake of salt will kill infection and balance the pH level of the digestive tract. Use this amazing remedy as an effective gastroenteritis treatment for quick relief.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to about 1 litre of fresh and filtered water.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sugar and mix well.
- You can add some lemon juice for fresh flavour.
- Drink this refreshing solution with constant intervals throughout the day.
Note: Avoid this salt remedy if you have high blood pressure.
- Avoid any kind of uncooked and raw foods.
- Avoid hard and solid foods.
- Wash your fruits and vegetables thoroughly before use.
- Take at least 8-10 glasses of filtered fresh water daily.
- Avoid milk and other milk-based products during the disease phase.
- For quick recovery take complete sleep and rest.
- Eat light and home cooked meals for the week or until the illness ends.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol during gastroenteritis.
- Follow a proper BRAT diet that may include bananas, apples, mashed rice and toast.
- Avoid having drinks that have a high content of acid such as orange or lime juice.
- Carbonated and caffeinated drinks should also be avoided.
- You can also try aromatherapy, acupressure and acupuncture for the treatment of gastroenteritis.
- Apply a heavy cloth or warm water bag on the stomach to reduce cramping and pain.