Dandruff is basically a scalp disorder that leaves you agitated and sheds dead skin cells from your scalp. It is scientifically known as seborrheic dermatitis. Dandruff occurs due oily scalp, dry scalp skin, because of fungus and bacteria grown on scalp, food disorder, inflammatory skin, and many other noticeable reasons.
Some people experience small flaking of dandruff which is normal, but others, however experiences a large amount that is later on followed by irritation and redness on the scalp. Almost half of the world’s population from any ethnicity and gender face this problem. It has become too common now and most people have stopped bothering about it. It usually causes itchiness along with some excess formation of dry white flakes peeping out of the hair.
Being a common problem you don’t need to go to a doctor and refer it until and unless the dandruff is extremely severe. There are many hair products available in the market that can help you out to reduce the adverse effects of dandruff. Along with these, you can try out some reliable and tested home remedies to get rid of the completely. You need to show some patience while trying these as they process slowly and show some good results.
We are going to discuss some very good and expert home remedies to get rid of dandruff problem. Just take out some time for yourself and try them out, you will surely see some difference.
Quick link = How to get rid of dandruff
Using mouthwash to prevent dandruff is one of the reliable methods. The chemical composition of mouthwash lets the dandruff walk away with less hassle and better results. The method is extremely simple, you just need to prepare a solution and have a wash. Follow the steps below to learn how to get rid of dandruff easily:
- Mix one part of your regular mouthwash with nine parts of water. For example, 1 liter of water with 100 ml of mouthwash.
- Shampoo your hair with your regular shampoo.
- Pour this mixture evenly on your scalp. Use your hand to firmly spread it.
- Do not rinse this mixture.
- Style your hair as usual; as more the mixture will remain on your scalp, the more it is going to work.
19. Fenugreek Sees (Meethi Seeds)
Fenugreek seeds are a nature’s gift that is used to cure many types of ailments. These seeds claim to be one of the best to control blood pressure, arthritis, kidney problems, inducing pregnancies, digestion issues, menopausal systems and many others. But this claim is true for dandruff also, the properties of fenugreek seeds weakens the dandruff and doesn’t let it stay for long. As always it is not applied straight but some helpful instructions have to be followed to get best results.
- Take about 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds and grind them. Try to do it with your hands roughly; do not use a grinding machine.
- Soak these ground seeds in 2 cups of water.
- Leave the mixture overnight.
- Strain the mixture and keep the water.
- Rinse your hair with this fenugreek seeds water.
Try this method twice a week; you will start noticing the results within a few days.
18. Cedarwood Oil
Cedarwood essential oil is well-known for its antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties. These properties of Cedarwood oil helps to maintain the reoccurrence of dandruff and controls its adverse effects. Cedarwood oil is obtained from Cedarwood tree through steam distillation process. These trees are native to cold areas and are found on high altitudes. Cedarwood is one of the best dandruff remedies to get rid of it. To eliminate dandruff from your scalp follow these essential steps:
- Mix seven drops of Cedarwood essential oil cypress and ten drops of juniper in 50ml of carrier oil.
- Rub this mixture gently on your scalp and leave it for an hour.
- To remove this, rub neatly, shampoo your hair and then wash with warm water.
- To maintain the scalp, use the above quantity in 600ml of water and give a final rinse.
17. Lemon Wash
Lemon being a citric fruit gives some amazing results. Its acidic property helps to fight germs and unwanted bacteria. Whenever it is used for some remedies, it gives a refreshing yet soothing feel to the body and mind. Lemon can be used to stop dandruff from the scalp. It reduces its occurrence and helps to maintain and re-growth of beautiful hair. Lemon wash is one of the best home remedies for dandruff to get rid of it. Try the following steps to have an amazing lemon wash.
Quick link = Benefits of lemon water
- Peel 3-4 lemons to be used in the lemon wash solution.
- Boil these peels in 4-5 cups of water for about 15-20 minutes.
- Cool the solution and use it to rinse your hair and scalp.
- For better result try this remedy twice a week.
NOTE: To get best results try to use fresh big sized lemons.
16. Egg Oil (Eyova)
Egg oil is an amazing and complete natural hair care solution. It is best for the treatments of hair fall, dandruff and early graying. It nourishes and moisturizes the scalp and help for the healthy hair growth. Egg oil is basically extracted from egg yolks that contain triglycerides having cholesterol and phospholipids. As cholesterol is good for our skin and hair, it also helps in treating many hair problems. The application of egg oil is just simple; you have to follow the following method:
- Gently massage your scalp with some good quality egg oil for 5-10 minutes.
- Leave the oil for overnight and wash it out next day with your regular shampoo.
Follicle cells of the hair are revitalized by long chained polyunsaturated Omega-3 fatty acids and cholesterol gives glow and shine to the hair, eliminating dandruff.
15. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is an essential oil that is best known for its aromatic odor and pale yellow color. Learn how to get rid of dandruff and have beautiful hair with tea tree hair. It is not just used for the curing of infections, but it is something more than that. It is one of the best antiseptic, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antifungal, antiviral and an excellent stimulant. As the name suggests that it might have been extracted from a drinking tree plant, which is wrong. It is basically extracted through steam distillation of branches and leaves of tea tree that has a botanical name Melaleuca Alternifolia. Shampoo containing tea tree oil must be used to fight dandruff or ordinary tea tree oil available in the market can be used with a massage of the scalp for good results.
14. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a multi-purpose plant that has originated from Africa. Its superb quality has made it a top ingredient in the home remedy solutions around the world. Because of its healing properties it has become one of the favorite organic solutions for external and internal use. Aloe Vera has a strong antiseptic and anti-bacterial property which lets us use it to cure many annoying physical problems. It can be used on daily basis to come over dandruff and make our hair manageable and beautiful. In dandruff remedies Aloe Vera is rated very high.
- Scrape out some Aloe Vera gel from the plant.
- Half an hour before a shower apply this gel on the scalp.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and wash it with your regular shampoo.
NOTE: Aloe Vera gel is easy available in the market but if it is from your backyard then the results can be outstanding.
13. Holy Basil (Tulsi)
Holy basil also knows as tulsi are leaves taken from the basil plant. Holy basil is considered a sacred plant in many religions and carries some divine properties. Home remedies for dandruff are incomplete without mentioning holy basil in it. It is best known for its healing powers and cures many unwanted problems and diseases. It is one of the best antiseptic, anti-bacterial, fungicidal, anti-biotic and germicides. Holy basil can be used to cure dandruff problems and it will certainly show some miracles on your head.
- Take some tulsi and amla powder and form a paste.
- Apply this paste on the scalp with a gentle massage.
- Leave the paste for and hour and then wash it thoroughly with water.
- Later do your regular shampoo.
Garlic is known for its bitter taste and stinky odor but the miracles it shows is one cannot imagine. Being commonly used in the kitchen it has some amazing properties. It is the number one ingredient that can control cholesterol and related problems. It can be used to lose weight and to strengthen your nails. It contains many compounds that give many health benefits. Using this to get rid of dandruff can be easy and one of the best solutions. Learn how to get rid of dandruff using this garlic treatment.
- Grind to cloves of garlic.
- Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and make a paste.
- Apply the paste on the scalp and leave it for an hour.
- Rinse it off thoroughly with shampoo and normal water.
NOTE: If the smell of garlic persists apply any regular hair oil.
11. Reetha (Soapnut)
Reetha is a well-known hair care ingredient that is taken from a Reetha tree. This tree is a medium size deciduous tree whose leaves have some amazing properties. Reetha is used as a main ingredient in many hair care products like soaps and shampoos. It is also called soapnut and considered best for health and cleanliness of hair. Reetha is also used to remove lice from hair as it has some effective insecticidal properties. It also functions well against dandruff. For a normal usage of this herb you are required to:
- Make a paste of Reetha powder with water.
- Apply that on the scalp while rubbing it.
- Keep it for few hours and rinse it thoroughly with shampoo and water.
- If used on regular basis, the results can be outstanding.
Aspirin being a pain killer has many other beneficial properties. It contains an acid called salicylic that stops dandruff and helps to control its occurrence. When applied it gently exfoliates the scalps and its main purpose is to cleanse and maintain the scalp thoroughly. The procedure to use it is simple and efficient, just follow the following steps the cure your dandruff issue.
- Crush 2-3 aspirins with a help of a hammer or heavy object.
- Rather then applying it directly, mix this powder with your regular shampoo.
- Wash your hair with this mixture. Massage with this mixture and leave it for few minutes.
- Again rinse your hair properly.
- You can also try applying a mixture of aspirin powder with vinegar.
- Apply it on the scalp and leave it for few hours.
- Rinse the mixture thoroughly from your hair and then do your regular shampoo.
9. Baby Oil
Baby oil has some very mild properties as it is being used for little babies. Baby oil is an ordinary mineral oil with some fragrance. It is not only used for babies but has some benefits beyond our thoughts. It can be used to soothe, condition, clean, soften and so many things. It can also be used to control dandruff, as being mild oil it can keep the scalp clean and will stop the growth of dandruff. In fact, it is one of the simplest dandruff remedies you can find. Follow us and we will let you know to how you should apply this.
- Take some baby oil and massage your scalp gently.
- Cover your head with a towel and keep it overnight.
- Rinse it out nest day with warm water and shampoo.
- The oil will condition the hair while you are sleeping.
NOTE: Don’t leave the oil for more than a day.
8. Coconut And Honey
Coconut and honey mixture can work wonders on your scalp. This mixture has proven to be one of the best home remedies for dandruff. Coconut oil being an excellent conditioner will condition and strengthen the hair while honey will try to eliminate dandruff from the scalp. We have to form a paste using coconut oil, yogurt, olive oil and honey. The ratio must be 2:3:2:2 to form a thick paste.
- Massage this mixture evenly on the scalp from the roots to the tips.
- This will open up the pores on the scalp and will increase the blood circulation.
- Leave it for about an hour.
- Try to stay at humid place or use a hair steamer.
- Wash your hair thoroughly with water and shampoo.
7. Banana And Vinegar
Banana works as an amazing natural moisturizer. The vitamin A present in the banana helps restore moisture and repairs any sort of damage and dullness. It can be used as a best ingredient to kill dandruff and condition your hair. When mixed with vinegar it can show some amazing results. Here you’ll learn how to get rid of dandruff using banana and vinegar. To make a banana and vinegar hair you follow these few simple steps.
- Take a ripped banana and peel it off.
- Mix it with about 2 cups of vinegar.
- Stir thoroughly to form a firm paste.
- Apply the pack on the scalp covering the hair completely.
- Leave it for an hour and rinse it thoroughly.
- Repeat this on daily basis for few days to see some amazing results.
6. Neem And Olive Oil
Neem being a natural antiseptic and anti-bacterial can show some outstanding results on your scalp. It is used worldwide in many medicines, dandruff remedies and skin care products. This plant can be very helpful to get rid of dandruff completely. If mixed with any kind of oil and apply to hair it will help clean the hair and scalp along with conditioning it. It will also prevent any kind of dirt and bacteria from the scalp. In dandruff remedies this is also considered one of the best one. To use it properly kindly follow these easy instructions.
- Take a tablespoon of dried Neem and mix it with some olive oil.
- Apply the mixture on scalp. You might feel little itching but that can be normal.
- Leave it for an hour and rinse thoroughly.
- Repeat the procedure as required.
5. Lemon Juice And Curd
Lemon juice and curd when mixed together can show some amazing results on the scalp. Both being acidic in nature can fight perfectly against dandruff. Applying a mixture of one lemon juice in a bowl of curd on the hair can eliminate dandruff along with conditioning your hair. It can give a soothing and refreshing experience in summers if the mixture in applied a little cold on the head. Massaging the mixture can make the results more appreciable. Try to leave the mixture on the scalp for an hour, do not exceed the time. Later wash your hair thoroughly with water and shampoo. Their ability of providing instant relief from dandruff makes them of the best home remedies for dandruff.
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda can be a very helpful ingredient in curing dandruff problem. Being a natural exfoliant, baking soda helps to remove unwanted dead skin cells from the scalp and absorbs excess oil from it. It also balances the pH level of the scalp and tries to reduce the fungus that causes dandruff.
Quick link = How to get rid of toenail fungus
- Take a hand full of baking soda and apply it on wet hair.
- Keep it for 20-25 minutes and rinse with water.
- Repeat the method once or twice a week for better results.
NOTE: No need to shampoo after this hair treatment.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Treating your scalp with apple cider vinegar can be very effective. It can completely treat dandruff and will clean and condition your hair as well. It also maintains the pH level of scalp and helps it to clean blocked pores and hair follicles. Go through the following method to learn how to get rid of dandruff using apple cider vinegar.
- Take about two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Add an equally amount of water and few drops of tea tree oil.
- Apply this solution equally onto your scalp and massage.
- Leave it for few minutes and rinse.
- Follow the method two to three times in a week.
2. White Vinegar
The easiest and natural way to treat dandruff is white vinegar. Being an acetic acid, it prevents the growth of fungus on the scalp and reduces itchiness. It will make your hair feel better and manageable. It will also cleanse your hair deeply and will give a softer look and feel. In home remedies for dandruff and hair care, vinegar is really effective. You just have to take one and a half cup of vinegar and mix it with two cups of water. Rinse you hair with this solution after a good shampoo. You can also try another mixture of vinegar and olive oil. This can also be applied and rinsed off. Try out this method tree times a week and you will see a good result.
Being an excellent conditioner, yogurt can show some amazing miracles. It is beneficial for the stronger scalp and healthier hair. Yogurt contains lactic acid that is best for skin and hair care. It is one of the effective remedies to fight dandruff. It hydrates your scalp and removes dead skin cells called dandruff. The protein element of yogurt will nourish your hair and strengthen the roots. You just have to apply it along with some other important steps. Here is how to get rid of dandruff using yogurt effectively.
- Apply plain yogurt onto your scalp and rub gentle.
- Keep it for an hour and wash your hair.
- To make it more effective use a mixture of thyme, nettle and sage in two tablespoons of vinegar.
- Boil this mixture and simmer it for a while.
- Rinse your hair with this solution.
- This will give a wonderful glow and shine to your hair.
- Never leave any sort of oil overnight; this may clog your scalp pores.
- Always use a shampoo where required, this will eliminate the residue of mixtures from your hair.
- Try to use from products for better results.
- Drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated as it will nourish and moisture your scalp and hair as well.
- Use essential oils in pure form, try not to use any sort of oil mixtures.
- To get rid of odor you notice from your hair after a treatment, apply few drops of baby oil to reduce the smell.