One of the most highly infectious disease, chickenpox, starts with skin rashes turning into itchy red spots or blisters all over the body. The common disease can affect anyone but most probably, children under age 12 are the common victims. It is caused by the virus called Varicella Zoster Virus (VZV).
Chicken pox are extremely infectious in nature, if your one child gets chickenpox, there are 90% chances that the other children get it too as the children are in contact with each other. Infants, children, pregnant women, teenage who has low immune system are quickly trapped with chickenpox.
Quick link = How to get rid of a headache
As the child is infected with one red spot of chickenpox, it takes 1 or 2 days for red spots to go through other stages like blistering, turns into bursting, drying and finally crusted over. The infection requires 10 days for red spots have crusted over and your child is ready to go school with good health and bright aims.
“Every child, now or later, is getting affected with the ugly chicken pox. Chicken pox is a common disease, those results in small red spots and blisters around body parts. The disease is caused by Varicella zoster virus (VZV) and can take days to disappear.”
A loving mom is in search of effective home remedies to provide relief and comfort from irritating chickenpox, let us follow the easy steps;
One of the nature great blessings is sweet honey. The thickening texture of honey is of multiple benefits in health, skin and hair problems. It is anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties are enough to heal the irritation. The use of honey is said to be very effective in treating itchiness and inflammations on the skin. One of the major symptoms of chicken pox are itching and burning, honey can work perfect for it. It is equally effective for adult chicken pox as well as for children. To get relief from itchiness on red bumps, it is right choice to use honey as a home remedy.
- Wherever you find red spots or blisters on your body parts, apply a thin layer of honey.
- Leave it to rest for 1o to 15 minutes.
- Wash it with warm water.
- Repeat the process for two times a day.
14. Neem Leaves
The other name for neem leaves is Margosa leaves or Indian Lilac. It is very effective against chicken pox virus. Neem leaves have antiviral properties that has the capacity to fight varicella zoster virus. The properties of neem leaves are helpful in reducing the itchiness and burning sensations caused during chicken pox. With the use of neem leaves, blister’s fluid can easily be dried out.
- Crush a paste from neem leaves and apply it to affected areas.
- Soaking and having a bath in neem leaves can also reduce the extent of fever.
- Fan the affected child with neem fronds.
Precaution: Neem leaves may cause harm to children. Be careful.
13. Baking Soda
One of the most common remedy is use of baking soda. This common remedy works best for treating irritation and itchiness on the skin. The presence of anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties in the white powdered, baking soda can provide great relaxation from the burning sensation. Did you know a cooking ingredient can be so beneficial in treating your child illness? Time to forget the worries. Make sure to use the following method to reduce the chicken pox symptoms.
- Mix a tablespoon or two in glass water.
- Stir the ingredients well.
- Dip a washcloth and apply it on the affected areas gently.
- Allow it to dry for few minutes.
- Wash it with warm water.
12. Oatmeal Bath
For seeking relief and relaxation from chickenpox, oatmeal is a suggested remedy. Children or adults that are infected with chicken pox get different small red spots, turned into blisters, on several parts on the body and at times, it causes pain. To cure the itching pains, oatmeal bath is recommended by many experts, as it has no other side effects.
Jump into the bath to cure irritation and reduce chicken pox symptoms.
- Take 2 cups of oatmeal and blend it to get powder.
- Pour the powder into the bathing tub.
- Soak yourself into the tub.
- Oatmeal bath can reduce your scars and itchiness.
- You may get powder on your body, which you can clean it up.
11. Epsom Salt
You might get confused with the name, but it is not a salt. Epsom salt is pure mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate. Epsom salt has great benefits for soothing and relaxing skin. It is helpful in relieving pain and muscle cramps, thus effective in curing from itchiness and redness of red blisters, caused by chickenpox. The minerals present in Epsom salt provide soothing effect to red spots on the affected areas of the skin. It is also found really effective against adult chicken pox.
- Mix 2 cups of Epsom salt into 2.5 liters water gallon.
- Stir it well and absorb a washcloth in to the solution.
- Apply it on the affected area.
- Repeat the process several times, it gives relaxation.
10. Sandalwood Oil
The use of sandalwood oil is a natural remedy to cure from scars and irritation. Chickenpox also causes severe discomfort as the patient is asked to sit at home in order to not infect others. Sandalwood oil is known for its antibacterial and antiviral properties. Which means it is very effective in providing defence against chicken pox virus. The oil has also calming effect on the affected skin area.
- Take 3 to 5 tablespoon of sandalwood oil into bowl.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder.
- Mix well both ingredients.
- Allow it to rest on scars and blisters.
- Wash off the areas gently.
9. Aleo Vera Gel
The effect of aloe Vera gel is soothing and calming. However, chicken pox does not cause harm to your health conditions, but treatment has to be taken to quickly cure the disease. The white gel from aloe Vera is used effectively for reducing red scars or blisters on the body. Even the gel has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that lessen the burning sensations on the skin. Follow these suggestion to reduce the chicken pox symptoms effectively.
- Extract fresh aloe Vera gel from aloe Vera plant.
- Apply the gel on the surface of the skin, which is affected.
- Leave it for few minutes on the skin.
- Wash it with warm water.
Precaution: Apply the gel on a part of your hand, to check if plant is allergic to you or not.
8. Improve Diet
With the application of natural and home remedies, it is very important to keep an eye on diet plan. One can go for dietary changes, if required. Noticing a change in your diet can actually speed up the recovery process and make you feel strong to fight against any disease.
Make sure to add citrus fruits in your diet plan as intake of vitamin C are very important. It also strengthens the immune system of the sufferer. Take a glass of fresh orange juice daily. Healthy diet is very important in curing chicken pox in children and also for adult chicken pox.
- Vegetable juices can also provide sufficient benefits to your health conditions.
- Other foods like garlic, ginger, egg, nuts, blueberry and carrots should also be added in your diet plan.
- Add those foods that are filled with excess water consistency, as it works best for hydrating.
- Heavy meals cannot work for the health condition. Try to avoid intake of junk food, meat and dairy products.
“Children or affected patient may also suffer with chicken pox symptoms like fever, minor cough, itchiness and headache. Some effective home remedies are best treatments to get relief from itchiness, scars and pain.”
7. Brown Vinegar
Before we highlight the importance of brown sugar to our health condition, it can work great for treating chicken pox. The use of brown vinegar has been adopted from long times for curing several skin and health conditions. The vinegar is filled with starch that works for providing relief to itching and irritation. It also has acetic acid that kills the prevailing harmful bacteria, which is active, in chicken pox. It also boost immune system against chicken pox virus.
- When you for a daily warm bath, add a cup of brown vinegar to the bathing tub.
- Soak yourself or Have vinegar bath.
- The bath has no harmful effects; you can take it twice in a day.
6. Marigold Flowers
The other name for marigold flowers is calendula flowers. The marigold flowers are effective in curing the symptoms of chicken pox. It has antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and astringent properties, which make the flowers more effective for skin disorders. In order to overcome the itchiness and redness of spots on the skin, use of calendula oil is recommended. It is really effective for relieving chicken pox symptoms.
Marigold flowers are healing salve; it is used in forming various soothing lotions that works for bruises, irritation, scars, itching and blisters.
- Take equal quantity of marigold flowers and witch hazel.
- Soak both dried leaves in water overnight.
- On next morning, blend the leaves with the same water and get a paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected areas to get comfort.
5. Herbal Tea
You can only obtain speedy recovery with any disease, if you have strong immune system. In that case, herbal tea works wonders for you. Sitting at home with stress in your head, will not take away your illness. It needs to be treated with an herbal tea. The tea is of great benefits due to its beneficial properties, present in the herb. It is highly suggested for the treatment of adult chicken pox.
The sufferer can use following herbs and get them into tea and enjoy it.
- Burdock roots
- Lemon balm
- Calendula flower(marigold flowers)
- Holy basil
- You can take mixture of herbs as lemon balm, basil leaves, chamomile flowers and marigold.
- Put in a pan of boiling water.
- Let it steep and strain the tea.
- Add drops of lemon juice or honey into tea to sweeten the taste.
- Enjoy the beneficial drink.
Whether the affected person is suffering with health conditions or skin disease, it is important to keep your body hydrated. Dehydration is another cause that gives birth to many diseases. Water is the basic need of your body and it has to be taken in sufficient amount. Ignorance of water might lead in disturbance of the disease. In chickenpox, body needs excess amount of water for better functioning as it keeps hydrating the body.
- The idea is to have plenty of water to overcome chickenpox and chicken pox symptoms.
- Make it a routine to daily intake 12 glass of water.
3. Soft Clothing
With many small red blisters on your body, it keeps the body uncomfortable and annoying. It is not about a part; chicken pox can be spread all over the body. Sometimes, it also results in painful blisters with severe itchiness and irritation. The easiest relief one can get is with soft and cooling clothes.
Changing clothes twice a day is also suggested. Dress your children bodies with light weighted and soft clothes.
Make sure the fabric is soft and it does not provide any discomfort to your body.
2. Soothing Creams
Homemade lotions and easily available lotions at medical store can give relief from itchiness. The application of creams on the affected areas will provide soothing and cooling effect on the different body parts. Herbal experts and physicians to apply calamine lotion to the affected skin often suggest it. As the soothing lotion has property to stop infection and dry out the fluids from blisters.
1. Apply Vitamin E Oil
No worries, vitamin E oil is available in medical stores or in form vitamin E capsules. The ingredients in vitamin E oil quickly weaken the scars and the symptoms of itching. The oil also has antioxidant, which keeps it effecting in healing spots and blisters from the affected areas. Vitamin E oil helps in rejuvenating the skin and increases growth of new cells in the body. It also boost immunity of the body against chicken pox virus.
- Vitamin E oil when mixed with aloe Vera gel, also gives quick healing of scars and stops itching.
- You can also extract the oil from vitamin E capsules.
- Take lots of water in your body.
- Make proper dietary changes, including healthy diet.
- Take warm baths, as required.
- Relax yourself and seek comfort at home.
- Apply ice packs to cool down your body and provide a relief.
- Avoid eating heavy meals, carbonated beverages and fatty acids.
- Never squeeze any pimple or blister; it will be crusted over eventually with time.
- Avoid scratching on your affected areas.
- Never give aspirin to your children; it might result in give birth to some other diseases.