The word Arthritis is derived from the Greek word Arthro-, joint + -itis, inflammation, generally speaking, it is a joint disorder, it causes sudden pain in joints like hands, knees, hips, shoulders, etc. It is basically a damaged joint because of wear and tear or stress on it which causes swelling or inflammation around the joint. The constant pain in the joints and bones can lead to discomfort or disability and can get worse in old age. There are more than 100 forms of Arthritis and joint diseases.
It can be Genetic/hereditary. The apparent symptoms of arthritis are
- Swelling around the joint.
And the joint may stop working properly.
Arthritis can lead to the following diseases
- Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Goutand pseudo-gout.
- Septic arthritis.
- Ankylosing spondylitis.
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis.
- Still’s disease.
15. Turmeric & Ginger Tea
Turmeric powder and ginger both work as an anti-inflammatory, and will be helpful for Oseto and Rheumatoid arthritis. Turmeric in particular has a lot of importance in herbals and it is called a natural antibiotic in many cultures. Its active ingredient is called Curcumin, which is a strong antioxidant. In addition, it helps in decreasing the levels of 2 enzymes which cause inflammation and it helps ease the discomfort and arthritis symptoms, it can be taken orally or like a nice cup of tea.
All you need to do is take:
- 2 cups of water.
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- Honey as per required for taste.
Boil 2 cups of water in a pan and add ½ teaspoon ground ginger and ground turmeric both to it. Reduce the flame to simmer and let it get warm for 10-15 minutes. Strain it so that the tea becomes clear, add honey to taste, and take it twice a day.
14. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in minerals it contains magnesium,calcium, phosphorus, and potassium. It helps in detoxifying the connective tissues and joints in the body and has proven to be a good pain killer for joints. You can use ACV as an effective remedy for arthritis treatment.
The method and items required for making this refreshing tea are following
- Take a cup of warm water.
- Add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and mix a spoon full of honey in it
Alkalizing effects of the drink are very beneficial if consumed first at the start of the day.
13. Have Ginger
Another ingredient which is easily available in a regular kitchen which can help, treat and cure arthritis is ginger, it is an anti-inflammatory and this property of ginger is very helpful to arthritis patients. It is also very effective in treating rheumatoid arthritis.
Easy and quick ways of consuming ginger are
- Make a mixture by grinding 6 teaspoons of dried ginger, 6 teaspoons of caraway and 3 teaspoons of black pepper. Take one teaspoon and mix it with water, have it two to three times a day.
- The oil massage of ginger is also very effective on the stiff area or around the joint on daily basis. It can decrease the intensity of pain, inflammation and stiffness.
- Ginger also helps in improving blood circulation so including raw ginger in your diet on a regular basis can prove to be very beneficial, what you can do is just peel off the outer-layer and slice the fresh ginger and eat it along with each meal of the day.
12. Mustard Oil Massage
Mustard oil is known to be a natural ointment which helps improve blood circulation.
Mustard oil massage is considered best for patients with arthritis pain and inflammation; it helps in increasing and stimulating the blood flow.
First heat the mustard oil slightly and massage the painful joint with a soft hand, if there is swelling on the affected area then add equal amount of onion juice in the mustard oil, after the application wrap the affected area; joint with plastic and cover it with warm towels. The same method is also effective for rheumatoid arthritis.
If this tip is followed daily and is done before bedtime, it can give fruitful results.
Eucalyptus oil and wintergreen oil massage are also beneficial to help ease inflammation.
Turmeric powder if taken in the form of capsules (500mg to 1000 mg) thrice a day can be very helpful. It is a magical herb that instantly ease arthritis symptoms.
- You should mix turmeric powder in warm milk and take it before sleeping or you can also take it in a fresh juice.
Having turmeric in your diet is very helpful in reducing the pain and inflammation of joints.
10. Epsom Salt
Magnesium can be obtained from Epsom salt, which keeps the ph. Level in the body in good order. It is absolutely important to adjust the ph. level in the body because if there is high acidity level in the body then it can cause inflammation and diseases. Here is how you can use Epsom salt as an effective arthritis treatment.
Ways of consuming salt
- Add equal amounts of Epsom salt and lemon juice to a half cup of warm water, it can be taken twice a day once in the morning and another at night.
- Epsom salt can also be used other than oral intake. It is very effective if you add two cups of Epsom salt to warm bath water and relax yourself in it.
Cinnamon can also be helpful in reducing the pain of joints because of its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It is also very helpful in treating rheumatoid arthritis.
Quick link = Benefits of cinnamon
- Drink every morning a warm cup of water mixed with one tablespoon of honey and half teaspoon of cinnamon powder for a week or so.
- Get a massage of cinnamon paste mixed with honey on the joints, it is very beneficial.
- You can also make a paste of cinnamon and honey and massage it gently on the joints.
8. Fish Oil (omega -3)
Include fish oil in your diet. It can greatly help in reducing the stiffness of your joints. The fish oil is rich in mega -3 fatty acids which have an anti-inflammatory effect on your body and helps in reducing pain in the joints.
- Consuming the supplement containing fish oil on an empty stomach early in the morning also helps in reducing the pain and stiffness.
- You can also take one or two teaspoons of fish oil daily if you’re feeling arthritis symptoms.
Eating cold-water fish and natural products like flax seeds which are high in omega-3 fatty acids are also helpful.
You can simply eat fish also like salmon, sardines, tuna, and herring for consuming omega 3-fatty acids which help in reducing inflammation and ease the pain in joints by stopping the reproduction of pro-inflammatory enzymes.
Alfalfa is the name of an herb that can be usedby arthritis patients. It is full of minerals which helps in the ph. Levels regulation.
- Tea made up of seeds of alfalfa is very healthy. Drinking this tea twice a day for a span of two to three weeks helps ease the inflammation.
- Add one teaspoon of alfalfa seeds to the boiling water, let it simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes with a lid on them and then strain it.
- Alfalfa capsules are also present in the market which can be taken daily for arthritis treatment.
They are a rich source of magnesium and potassium, which are useful for people suffering with arthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. Magnesium is a natural painkiller and potassium helps in reducing the inflammation.
- Canned, frozen or fresh cherries should be included in the daily routine diet
- Boil some cherries in water for a few minutes or until it becomes a syrup, which is sweet and strong in flavor. It can be very helpful if its use is continued for a few months.
Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries also contain these properties.
The borage seed oil also includes theanti-inflammatory property which is helpful for people suffering with arthritis.
- Massage borage seed oil on the joint which is affected, swollen or red.
- Borage seed oil is healthy and very safe, but do ingest its seeds or other parts of the plant.
- Take one teaspoon full of the oil for pain relief.
4. Green tea
Studies show that there is anantioxidant called epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) in green tea, which halts the production of particles that cause joint damage in people with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Researchers suggest arthritis patients to take full advantage of these health benefits of green tea by drinking two or three cups every day. It instantly and effectively reduce arthritis symptoms and provide relief.
Studies show that, certain strains of probiotic microscopic bacteria – “good” bacteria found in some foods like yogurt – significantly lessen the pain and disability in people suffering with rheumatoid arthritis. Though research is still being done, start eating yogurt for two or three months every day to see how much effective it is.
2. Green Vegetables
Include more greens to your diet. There are antioxidants present in bell peppers, green peas and broccoli, which helps in protecting the tissues around the joints from getting damaged. So make sure to use these natural vegetables in your diet for natural and effective arthritis treatment.
1. Most Important Is Massage
Gentle manipulation with moderate pressure has been shown to reduce joint pain and stiffness, and even improve range of motion. However, timing is important. Listen to your body. Massage may not be as helpful during a very active flare when joints are especially tender and sensitive.
Get an Ice massage: Simply rubbing an ice cube or a paper cup of frozen water in small circles over the painful area helps in reducing swelling, reduces the pain and hinders the generation of inflammatory and proactive chemicals. The American College of Rheumatology prescribes to do many times every day for about 5 to 10 minutes. It is very effective in reducing arthritis symptoms and providing relief.
- If you feel stiffness in the morning, take a long, warm bath to reduce it.
- Try utilizing a warm paraffin wax treatment;it is easily available at many beauty products-supply stores or drugstores.
- Relax yourself by taking a steaming shower or whirlpool.
- Buy moist heat pads from the drugstores, or make it at home by putting a wet cloth or towel in a freezer bag and heat it in the microwave for a minute. Now keep it on the affected area for 10 to 15 minutes.
- To soothe painful and stiff joints of your hands, apply some mineral oil on them, wear rubber dish washing gloves on hand and place your hands below a hot tap water for around 5 to 10 minutes. You will feel good.
- Incorporate other warming components in your day to day routines, such as warming your garments in the dryer before dressing, or utilizing an electric blanket and turning it off for a couple of minutes before getting up.
- Apply a pack of ice wrapped in a towel or a gel-filled cool pack from the drugstore to painful parts for about 15 minutes.
- Wrap a towel around a bag of frozen vegetables and keep it on sore joints for soothing pain.
Dos And Don’ts For Arthritis
Following are the Dos and Don’ts for an arthritis patient
- Go for a massage therapy.
- Use medication that is prescribed by doctors.
- Have a balanced diet: try and avoid over consumption of processed, oily, fried and half cooked, microwavable meals that are available in the stores, prepared meals, sweets and grilled food.
- Start eating vegetables instead of dairy products or meat.
- Try to avoid excess of salt.
- Make your life stress free and try to relax as much as you can. It will help in reducing the symptoms of arthritis and joint pain.
- Along with these simple home remedies which provide you relief from arthritis, start doing exercise and make it a part of your lifestyle for leading a healthy life ahead.
- Start going for a walk. Daily walk helps in reducing stiffness and pain in the body by building muscle around the joints which improves flexibility. Make a routine of going for a walk. Start it slowly as soon as you can and increase your walk duration to around 30 minutes per day.
Benefits of Exercise
- It reduces stiffness and makes your body flexible.
- Try to reduce wait gradually instead of sudden weight loss.
- If you work in an office, then stop sitting in one posture all day long, keep changing your postures and position.
Tilt stretch and bend your body daily!
Cure your arthritis by following these simple home remedies without consulting a doctor.
Do you want to know what arthritis is? What are its symptoms? And how can you take care of yourself and cure it without a doctor. Take a look at this article.