To match the lifestyle of modern world, human became machines. Such machines, which have to work 18-20 hours a day without rest. In such busy routines, we (humans) sometimes do not get proper time to relax ourselves. Hands are the main components of human body that is always in action until a human is awake. So, hands are the first part of human body to get attach by arthritis.
For the people who do not know what is arthritis? What are its symptoms? Here is a quick review of the disease.
Arthritis means inflammation. It is joint disorder and swelling caused by inflammation. There are many different types of this disease with respect to the nature of its presence in different joints. The people having arthritis have constant pain in their joints and swelling. Other symptoms of this disease include muscle pains, stiffness and difficulty in movement.
‘Don’t worry if the doctor appointment is not set today, you can still reduce your joint pain and swelling by using these home remedies.’
Now suppose, you have an exam next day and caught by simple arthritis. Your hand is swelled and you cannot move it. Doctor appointment is set for next day and you know that he will prescribe you with rest of at least one week and will charge fee more than your per day income. You have no idea what to do in this case and you are depressed. Don’t worry we have a good news for you. Good news is that there is some natural home remedies exist to fight against arthritis and with their help you can also prevent arthritis in hands at first place. After these home remedies, you will not need any supplement or medicine. Let’s have a look to these home remedies.
12. Hand Exercises
One of the easy and less bothering ways to restore the flexibility of your joints and relieving pain in hands is hand exercises. There are so many exercises which we can add to our daily routines to avoid such things at first place. Some simple hand exercises for practice are as follow:
- Make a fist with your thumb inside the fingers. Open your hand with stretched fingers then. Repeat the same sequence for at least 10 minutes daily.
- Stretch your hand, bend your thumb inwards. Try to touch the bottom of your small figure with your bent thumb. Now return to the starting place i.e. stretched hand. Repeat this process for 10 minutes.
- This exercise requires some flat surface to use. Place your hand, palm down, on this flat surface. Slowly, lift your fingers (each one in sequence) up in air for two seconds and then put it back. Repeat the sequence for 10 minutes.
With help of these easy exercises, you can reduce you muscle pains related to arthritis in hands, recover your motion and improve the flexibility of your joints.
11. Heat And Cold
The use of heat i.e. heating pads, hot baths and use of warm wax by dipping hands in them can help reduce the pain and you will feel relief, temporarily. Similarly use of cold I.e. use of ice packs to the pain area can also relieve pain and reduce arthritic symptoms. Both of these remedies are commonly used in our daily routine for reducing inflammation and joint pains. Apply heat and cold moderately to avoid harsh circumstances.
Acupuncture is an old Chinese medicine mechanism for the treatment of pain. Through acupuncture, needles are inserted in the skin at some painful points. Several studies have also certified this procedure to get arthritis pain relief. The process is very simple:
- Choose a good acupuncture practitioner for the treatment.
- Take hair thin needles and find the painful (strategic) points on hand for treatment.
- Once a point is found, insert the needle to boost blood flow and change the attention of brain from pain to other activities.
- Practitioner may twirl or move the needle as part of the treatment.
- After 10 minutes, remove the needle and all you will feel is comfort and relaxation.
Practicing acupuncture can be a little risky at times because it contains a high risk of infections. The patience of diabetes can have bleeding disorders with this treatment so it is recommended that you choose this practice after a little consideration.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
Vinegar has anti-inflammatory properties to help reduce the pain in your hand, hence reduce the effects of arthritis. The taste of apple cider vinegar is sore that is why it needs to be diluted or mix with other ingredients for use. For instance relief from arthritis in hands follow this:
- Drink a glass of diluted apple cider vinegar with 1 tbsp of honey in it.
For improvement drink it daily.
Ginger is easily available at home as it is an important spice of our daily food. You can also take ginger tea, which is different in taste and has many health benefits like lessen arthritis pain. Ginger tea is available in market or you can also make it at home with help of a very simple recipe. It is an effective treatment to reduce arthritic symptoms.
Quick link = Health benefits of ginger
- Peel the ginger and slice it into pieces.
- Boil some water in a pot.
- Add ginger pieces to boiled water.
- After 5 minutes, pour tea in a cup and drink it.
- Its anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties will help fight pain in your hand.
Take tea at least twice a day for better results.
7. Honey And Vinnamon
Honey contains antioxidants and other health related properties whereas cinnamon is one of the oldest natural herb containing strong anti-inflammatory properties. Hence the combination of both has some extraordinary effects on human health. This combination has been used as ancient Chinese healing system and considered best remedy for arthritis.
- Boil some water; add 2tbsp honey and 1tbsp cinnamon powder in it, pour the tea in a cup.
- Consume this mixture with empty stomach for several weeks for arthritis pain relief.
Tea with honey and cinnamon can also releases pain in joints.
6. Olive Oil
According to research sources olive oil contains a compound named oleocanthal which, at first place, prevents inflammatory enzymes COX-1 and COX-2 from production. The way the parts of a car engine needs oiling (lubrication) after some time, human joints also needs to be oiled for their betterment. So olive oil acts as a lubricant for your joints and comforts your muscles from pain.
- Take 2-3 tbsp of olive oil and rub it to your painful joints.
- Massage your hand gently for 5 minutes.
- Repeat the process daily for better results and relief from arthritis in hands.
Use olive oil in your daily cooking to avoid arthritis at first place.
5. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is a rich source of magnesium. Magnesium has many health benefits including reduce inflammation and help muscles in their normal functions. It also contains important bone minerals and prevents demineralization in bones. Due to all these health benefits Epsom salt is a good remedy for reducing the pain in muscles and reducing stiffness caused by arthritis.
- Take warm water in an open pot.
- Add 1 cup of Epsom salt and stir it.
- Dip your hands in this mixture for 20 minutes to ease arthritic symptoms.
Repeat the same process thrice a week to get satisfactory results.
Like garlic, turmeric is also a spice. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory medicine. Turmeric reduces pain in body parts and reduces stiffness. It is also very useful in digestive problems and fight against ulcer. Keep in mind that its excessive use can cause side effects. 500mg turmeric is enough for a human to consume per day. Turmeric is easily accessible in powder and tea form, or you can make tea at home for arthritis pain relief.
Quick link = Turmeric health benefits
- Peel turmeric and grind it till powder.
- Boil 1 cup water in a pot.
- Add half tablespoon of turmeric powder in it.
- Boil it for other 15 minutes.
- Pour the tea in a cup and consume it.
- For sweet taste you can add honey in it.
Take tea twice a day and you will feel relax.
Anti-inflammatory properties of garlic can help reduce pain in arthritis in the hands. It is also helpful to reduce swelling in joints. To get health benefits from garlic, add garlic as a must ingredient in daily cooking or eat it raw.
- Chop two garlic pieces and fry their powder.
- Add 2 tbsp of mustard oil in it and then let the oil cool at room temperature.
- Apply the oil gently to your hand and massage the painful areas of hand.
Repeat the process twice a day to remove swelling and pain related to arthritis in hands.
2. Castor Oil
Castor Oil is oil extracted from castor seeds. Castor oil is also anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory oil which makes it suitable for healing arthritis in hands. It has also been used for other health benefit for centuries. The method of use is simple and same as of olive oil let me repeat it for you again:
- Take castor oil on your finger and rub it to your painful joints.
- Massage your hand gently for 5 minutes to ease arthritic symptoms.
Repeat the process daily for better results.
1. Avocado And Soybean
Another wonder combination of two rich health ingredients Avocado and soybean prevents the production of inflammatory chemicals in body. Inflammatory chemicals are the main cause of arthritis in body so this combination helps reduces the effect of arthritis at first place. There are different studies and health articles that support this claim. Doctors also recommend soybean oil for daily cooking because of its health benefit. Different supplements containing these two are also available in market that helps prevent arthritis and its effects.
- Mash avocado and make a paste of it.
- Add soybean oil to this paste.
- Apply this paste to the affected areas on your hand and massage for 5 minutes.
- Remove the paste gently with help of a towel and get instant arthritis pain relief.
Other anti-inflammatory ingredients available in nature are peppermint oil, grape juice and grape oil which can also help fighting against arthritis in hands. While adopting some of the home remedies remember some Do’s and Don’ts to avoid more stiffness and pain in your joints. Remember, arthritis can lead to different disabilities in human bodies so take it seriously. It can take weeks to get satisfactory results if you have arthritis in hands so have patience while using some of these listed remedies. Following some Do’s of Don’ts for your consideration that will help you understand the best and worst practices for fighting against arthritis in hands.
Quick link = Health benefits of Avocado
- Talk to your doctor about arthritis and give him complete information about your symptoms. Follow doctors’ advice.
- Adjust and change your hand positions if you’re suffering from arthritis in hands.
- Manage weight and get rid of extra fats.
- Take exercise daily.
- Avoid smoking.
- Avoid excessive use of medicines for pain.