Acidity, also known as heart burn or Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GERD),is a common issue these days. If you are suffering from it there is nothing to freak out about. Join the club!
Just know one thing very clear, the only solution to GERD is the natural way out!
By putting in more medicines into your stomach, you will only further weaken your oesophageal sphincter muscle and stimulate it to produce more acid therefore more of those heart burning sensations. By curing it naturally you will be stressing much lesser on your oesophagus and there will be chances of recovering from it permanently. Also, natural remedies have no side effects so it is a win-win situation.
“15 home remedies to relieve you from acidity and acid reflux. Try them out and benefit from them to never be a victim of acidity ever again. Say goodbye to acid reflux with these very simple solutions and discover a happier you.”
15. Apple And Banana Are Your Best Friends
Banana and apple can be used as some effective acid reflux remedies. When there is increased acidity in your stomach, eating a banana acts as a buffer. Reaching in your oesophagus the antacids in the banana neutralize the pH by absorbing all the excess acid. Banana, also, has the quality of naturally soothing the skin when you apply it as a face pack. It does the same after reaching in your oesophagus, it soothes the oesophageal inner lining. It is highly recommended for stomach ulcer patients as well.Or if you don’t have bananas at the counter, go for an apple. Apple also does the job pretty well.
- Let the banana completely ripen and then eat it whole.
- Eat an apple a few hours prior going to bed.
14. Take Small Bites And Eat Slowly
If you’re wondering what causes acid reflux and how to prevent it, follow these suggestions. When you are having a meal, do not fill your whole mouth with food. The food is not running away from your plate neither will anybody steal it from there so have patience while you eat. Take smaller bites. When you take really large bites and east faster, you are stressing your stomach to produce more and more acid to digest it. Chances are you will end up with excess acid in your stomach and then experience heart burn.
- Take smaller bites.
- Chew your food properly so that the stomach has to do the least possible job.
- Eat slowly.
13. Eat A Few Hours Before You Sleep
One of the best home remedies for acid reflux is to eat several hours before you sleep. Eating just before you sleep can have consequences. When you sleep right after having dinner or some heavy food, it is left undigested in your stomach. In whatever position you sleep, gravity pulls the food in that particular direction and it stays there, undigested. To counteract this, your body produces excess acid which then causes heart burn the next morning.
- Eat a few hours before going to bed and walk after dinner to increase your metabolism.
- In case, you had to eat just before going to bed because of some reason. Sleep with your head high to help the food get digested over night.
12. Exercise Regularly
If you do not indulge in any physical activities and then wondering what causes acid reflux? You’re definitely not thinking right. Exercising has its own set of benefits. It is the solution to almost all of our health related problems today and simply the best way to start your day.Exercising helps you keep fit, it increases blood flow, it keeps you active and it increases metabolism. All of these factors help you fight acidity. Your food will get digested faster without your oesophagus having to produce excess of acid.
11. Brick For A Brick And Acid For Some Acid!
When your stomach is already producing an excess of acid, the intake of more acid must sound crazy but guess what, it works.I’ll tell you the logic behind it; when you intake acid it stimulates your oesophagus to stop producing any more of it.Another reason for this is that our body works on a negative feedback mechanism. When we feel cold, there is more blood flushed to the exposed areas to make us warm. When we drink less water, our body excretes more nutrients and less water. In the same way when we will intake a natural form of acid, the mind will send signals to the oesophagus to stop producing any more of acid. In fact this is one of the best home remedies for acid reflux you can find.
- Dilute 1 tablespoon of all natural apple cider vinegar (a form of acid) into 3/4th – 1 cup of water.
- Drink it.
- Do this before your meals.
10. Ginger Root Tea
This is one of those effective acid reflux remedies that will help you cure acid reflux quickly. Ginger is good for many of your stomach problems and GERD is just one of them. Ginger also has antibacterial properties that can help you treat your flu and cough naturally. To gain its benefits you can make its tea or consume it whole whatever you prefer. Here is a simple DIY remedy you can use for reducing acidity.
Quick link = Benefits of ginger
- Cut it julienne and eat it. If you do not like the taste, you can dip it in honey and eat.
- Cut it into small cubes and let it simmer in boiling water for 10-15 minutes.
- Sieve the tea and drink it hot.
- Drink it after your meals.
9. Mustard Paste
Mustard has a lot of minerals in it. It also has an alkalizing effect in it which can suffice in heart burn. Consuming it straight can sure be a tough job but trust me it is totally worthwhile. Whenever you feel a heart burn, consume mustards. Its alkaline effect will neutralize the acidic effects in your oesophagus and will make you feel better in a very less time.
- Eat them straight
- Make a paste out of it with some vinegar and eat 2 teaspoons of it.
8. Chewing Gums Help
This is probably one of the simplest acid reflux remedies you can find. Chewing gums can keep you busy and keep the acid reflux at bay. The logic is; when you chew gums, it stimulates your mouth to produce saliva. Saliva contains a lot of ions and digestive enzymes, altogether they form a pH of 7.4 therefore when it goes into your stomach it acts as a buffer neutralizing the effect of stomach acid.
- Keep extra gums in handy to fight acidity.
- Chew them whenever needed.
“Get to know all about acidity, its preventions and cure and how to keep acidity at bay without having to ingest harmful chemicals in the form of medicines. Switch to a more natural and organic lifestyle.”
7. Aloe Vera Juice
Home remedies for acid reflux are incomplete without Aloe Vera. Aloe vera juice has many benefits when applied externally and has even more benefits when ingested. Its soothing properties are usually underrated, we should give it more acknowledgement. It helps reduce inflammation and helps heal wounds naturally faster which means it works against bloating as well as stomach ulcers. Acidity can usually cause thinning of your oesophageal sphincter muscle or even ulcers. Aloe Vera can help it heal and make you feel relieved from heartburns.
- Always keep an aloe Vera plant at home, even if you do not have acidity.
- Cut a fresh aloe Vera leaf from the plant.
- Cut the leaf open.
- Extract the juice of it. Drink it.
- Or simply eat the inner white area of the aloe Vera leaf.
6. Almonds Help Too
Almonds are known as “super-food” for being so small in size and yet packed with so many nutrients. It is one of the most nourishing foods in all its forms. Another of their amazing quality is that of neutralizing the excess acid produced in the body. All you need to do is;
- Munch on 3-4 almonds after every meal.
- Chop them and add them to your salad.
5. Keep A Check On What You Are Eating!
Junk and unprocessed foods are the main reasons of “what causes acid reflux”. Junk food aka fast food is a very bad idea if you want to stay away from acidity.Fast food is usually made from a lot of oils. Oils are a form of fats and fats require a lot of time and energy to be digested. To digest such foods, your oesophagus is induced to produce more acid. Also, if you eat such foods for dinner you are doomed to suffer from heart burns throughout the night.
- Switch to healthy food.
- Never eat fast food for dinner if you experience heart burns frequently.
- Say no to fast food to get relieved from heart burns.
4. Fennel Tea
Fennel seeds is among those acid reflux remedies that provide immediate relief. Fennel seeds help you soothe your system. They are refreshing when you chew them raw and they are soothing when you consume it in the form of a tea.
- Simply take a teaspoonful of fennel seeds and chew them. You will feel the difference, the heart burn will be gradually gone.
- Crush the seeds in a blender.
- Add 1-2 tsp of fennel seed powder into bowling water.
- Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes until all the benefits are completely extracted into the water.
- Sieve and drink.
3. Chamomile Tea
This tea is a pleasant addition in home remedies for acid reflux or acidity. Chamomile has a soothing effect on the mind and body. When ingested it also has antioxidants that are beneficial for us.One of the reasons behind acid reflux can be stress. Stress induces the body to secrete more than usual acid. Chamomile tea helps reduce stress. To make it;
- Put one cup of water on a stove to boil.
- Add dried chamomile leaves into it and let it simmer.
- Or insert your teabags into the boiling water.
- Sieve and drink it hot.
This is not very well known but one of the most effective home remedies for acid reflux. Jaggery is a form of brown sugar. It feeds your sweet tooth cravings and relieves you from heart burns. When consumed as it is, it has alkaline effects on your oesophageal environment and neutralizes the acidic conditions in it.
- Break the jaggery into little blocks and consume those little blocks after every meal.
- Do not chew the block, suck it.
Nothing can be better than water for a disturbed stomach. Water acts as a buffering tonic during acidity and neutralizes the acidic conditions in the stomach, relieving you from heart burns. Make sure to follow these suggestions to use this simplest of the acid reflux remedies.
- Drink at least eight glasses(4-5 liters) of water every day to keep acid reflux at bay.
- Do not drink a glass full of water exactly after the meal. It promotes acid reflux. If you are thirsty after having a meal, take ONLY a few sips of water.
- Drink your tea hot. It soothes your body and releases the day’s stress.
- Munch on fennel seeds to freshen your breath.
- Have patience for the remedies to work.
- Practice 2-3 remedies at a time.
- Always keep fennel seeds with you in a little bottle to prevent acid reflux.
- Do not wait for your tea to cool down completely.
- Never sleep immediately after eating, it is like inviting acidity.
- No matter how yummy the food is, do not over eat.
- Try and avoid medicines, especially aspirin. They induce acid reflux.
- Do not intake jaggery if you are diabetic.