As soon as the hustle and bustle of wedding day gets over, newlyweds start looking for honeymoon destinations. It is a time to steal the love of your life away from world. Honeymoons are meant to be restful, relaxing, matchless and memorable. Even though you have known your new life-partner for quite some time, but this is the time you get to know each other in a new light, a time whose fond memories last a lifetime.
Every couple wants their honeymoon to be an unforgettable one. It can be quite a daunting task looking for affordable honeymoon destinations when you want your honeymoon to be absolutely the best and you have already spent quite a bit of your savings on the wedding, and setting up a new place. Not everyone has a limitless budget when it comes to honeymoon, but that shouldn’t keep you from having a fabulous time. So whether, you are looking for cheap honeymoon destinations or want the absolute best honeymoon destinations with money not being an issue, these 25 honeymoon ideas will help you kick-start your marriage for sure.
“What makes Cape Town one of the best honeymoon destinations? It is practically the only place in the world which offers scenic beaches, cosmopolitan buzz, wild landscapes, exotic safaris and access to some of the world’s finest wines.”
25. The Lagoons Of Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Without a doubt, Bora Bora, located in French Polynesia is one of the world’s most romantic destinations. It was voted as the number one choice by honeymooners in 2015. The settlements range from resorts, small lodgings to guest houses. This gateway to heaven will give you access to tropical islands with endless shorelines, fascinating lagoons, immense waterfalls, rocky backcountry and both black and white sand beaches with the clearest waters you’ve ever seen. If you can’t get enough of the beaches and would like to relax in one of the world’s most breathtaking and hushed places, Bora Bora is the place to go. Wouldn’t you just love to wake up in a private hut with a view of the amazing coral reef enclosing turquoise lagoon? Some of the other activities you can enjoy on the island include:
- Scuba diving
- 4 wheel drives
- Helicopter rides to neighboring islands where you can take a tour of the famous black pearl farms
24. Warmth Of Bali, Indonesia
Bali has been nicknamed “Isle of the Gods”, and once you see its mesmerizing temples with breathtaking mountain backdrops and the vivid lifestyle, you will know why. The island has been attracting romance seekers for the longest time, probably why it was chosen as a location for one of the recent seasons of ABC’s “The Bachelor”. Bali is a lot more than just the pristine white sandy beaches; there are still spectacular black volcanic beaches with active volcanoes on the island. If you want to completely forget the worries of your everyday life and unwind Bali is the place to go. Bali is an amalgam of culture, art, tradition and nature’s scenic views. Some of the other things you can do here:
- Dolphin watching
- Trip to Pura Luhur Uluwatu Temple, with its unforgettable sunset view
- Visit the bamboo chocolate factory
23. Cozyness Of Sonoma County, California
If you are looking for honeymoon destinations in U.S. and want one where you can just elope and forget about everything except each other, Sonoma County is the place to go. The place is famous for its unconventional fun-loving reputation. The county’s rivers, valleys, world-famous vineyards, mountains, oceans and its redwoods offer the most diverse scenery you will ever see in one place. World-renowned wines, luscious food variety and unrivaled natural beauty make Sonoma one of the best honeymoon destinations in U.S. You can choose to stay at one of the cozy farmhouse inns. Most of the barns are eccentrically chic. Some of the inns give you exclusive tours of the wineries, which may not be open to public, make sure to check for those when booking for your hotel. Other attractions in Sonoma County:
- Redwood Armstrong woods, for those who would like to see nature a bit more closely
- Bike rides to the wineries with wine tasting
- Hot air balloon festival
- Farmer’s market
- Sonoma coast view, along with enjoying the view you can indulge in activities such as paragliding
- Harvest fair, where you can enjoy from the harvest to the table with everything being completely organic
- Grape stomping festival
22. The Romance Of Venice, Italy
Tourists and honeymooners alike have been flocking to Venice since the 18th century, when it was included as a pivotal destination of ‘The Grand Tour’. The city’s beauty, lagoon, breathtaking cityscape, unique architecture, flowing music and cultural heritage still make it one of the best honey moon destinations in the world. There is simply no other place like Venice, with its Gondola tours and numerous churches. Venice might seem a bit daunting or overcrowded at first, but its magnificent buildings, water, bridges and ceaseless moving canvases will envelope you in its magic in no time. There are many comfortable chic hotels spread all over the city, and you can find accommodation to suit any budget. Some of the must visit spots in Venice are:
- Piazza San Marco
- Doge’s Palace
- Torre dell’Orologio
- The Campanile, which is the tallest building in the city towering to 99 meters. You can catch a bird’s eye view of Venice, its lagoon and, if you are lucky enough even the Dolomites on a bright sunny day.
- Rialto Bridge with its famous market, the Bridge of Sighs, the Grand Canal itself and the numerous churches are also popular.
- The Venice Carnival
- For art lovers Venice offers Gallerie dell’Accademia, The Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Palazzo Grassi , Puntana della Dogana and Museo Correr.
- Venice’s Museo Storico Navale (Naval Museum) is another popular spot
21. The Love In The Air Of Paris, France
Paris the city of love, Parisian history and fragrances is synonymous with romance. It is the French culture, their cuisine, the art and architecture of the city that makes it so special. It is impossible to be in Paris and not be under the love spell of the city. There are a number of guided tours you can take in the city as there is a lot to see, but remember it is the time you have stolen your sweetheart away, so don’t get too carried away with them. Now it is discouraged to put a lock on the renowned Pont des Art bridge, due to the weight but don’t forget to tie a ribbon around it to symbolize your love. It is a good idea to stat at one of the holiday apartments, instead of a hotel. You can find many with the majestic view of the Eiffel tower. Your romantic tour will be incomplete without visiting the following places in Paris:
- The Eiffel Tower being the most obvious. There is something about the environment which adds love in the air. You will find many lovers sitting there, holding hands. Don’t forget to visit it after the sun goes down as the surroundings of the tower take new dimensions
- Au Bon Accueil
- Brasserie de l’Isle Saint-Loui
- Le Violon d’Ingres
- Louvre Museum with treasures from Egyptians, Greeks, Etruscans, Middle Eastern, Romans, and great Islamic cultures on display, it is a must visit.
- For art lovers you will find masterpieces from maestros such as Picasso, Musee d’orsay, Monet, Delacroix, Raphael, and Rodin in museums in Paris
- Seine River
“You will feel as if you are walking on a movie set on the streets of Marrakesh with snake charmers, horse-drawn carriages, belly dancers and open air maze of traditional markets.”
20. The Valleys Of Orkney, Scotland
Did you know Orkney has been named as the UK’s most romantic destination by publishers Mills and Boon according to BBC, UK? This is a dream come true, this little piece of heaven with its green-topped islands and sandy cliffs is sure to take your breath away. The northern archipelago is straight out of Downtown Abbey romance novels. There are a number of affordable options available here with some looking over the historic harbor of Kirkwall. Shopping is also just a few steps away.
- Don’t forget to visit the Neolithic Ring of Brodgar, the ancient eerie ring of stones. Its mystery still remains unsolved but the stones sure are a sight to see
- You can have a taste of art and culture of the place as you will see live bands playing in the backdrop of many pubs
- Orkney’s natural scenic beauty hasn’t been industrialized. It seems preserved in time. It is a place to go if you want to be close to nature and away from everyday monotony
19. The Rawness Of Harbor Islands, Bahamas
Bahamas is heaven for honeymooners and the islands have a wide variety of offerings to go well with whatever you are looking for. The pink sand beaches can be your perfect romantic getaways or you can party all night in one of the up-all nightclubs and casinos. Harbor Islands have been favored as perfect get away by celebrities such as Ellie MacPherson, Mick Jaggers and Bill Gates so there must be something special about them for sure! What makes it one of the best honeymoon destinations? Well to begin with the pink sand beaches are for those who want minimum distractions on their holidays. The resorts there offer everything from fine romantic dining, infinity pools, private beaches, couple massages and much more.
- Some of the resorts will offer you your private patio with your cottages, perfect for evening lounging or catching some early morning sun
- You can book a private cabana for private cocktails and canoodling
- If you want to completely unwind, you will find some of the best spas in the world in this area with topical treatments and massages
- You can also take bike rides around to explore the Island
- The island also offers an remarkable night life with some of the world’s largest casinos
18. Exotic Waves Of Cape Town, South Africa
What makes Cape Town one of the best honeymoon destinations? It is practically the only place in the world which offers scenic beaches, cosmopolitan buzz, wild landscapes, exotic safaris and access to some of the world’s finest wines. What more could you ask for when looking for honeymoon ideas? The accommodation is very reasonable too, with some uber chic resorts offering you private wooden decks which open to picturesque beaches. What more can you do?
- Visit the nearby cape of Good Hope and Cape Agulhas
- Visit the Boulders beach
- Go see the farmed colonies of warm-weather penguins for an unforgettable experience
- Cape Town is the place to go if you enjoy spa treatments, personalized dining and the exclusivity of private reserves
17. The Peace Of Santroini, Greece
Santorini is mystique and romantic and it is impossible not be charmed by the small island’s striking sunsets and the pristine whitewashed villas. The most popular resort on the volcanic island being Mystique Resort, it is a complex of eighteen suites and villas located on the Islan. It is not opulent and is a perfect fusion of the exotic landscape of the place; structural design fits in perfectly with the natural cascading landscape of the Greek paradise. What more can you do on you Santorini?
- Take a scooter ride to one of the red and black sand beaches
- Go on a romantic cruise
- Visit the unexplored ancient sites such as the ‘Minoan Pompeii’
- Go for wine tasting at the local wineries
- Go for hiking
16. The Party Of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
If you want something exotic and want to get best of both worlds; there is nothing like Dubai. You can enjoy the glamorous city life and when you want some tranquility head out to the desert. Dubai is one of the most popular tourist destinations for a number of reasons. You can shop, eat, enjoy the inimitable buzz of the cosmopolitan and feel transformed into another era once you leave for the desert. Dubai boosts some of the world’s tallest buildings and biggest malls. From the traditional souks to the world’s high-end designer outlets can be found in Dubai.
- Depending upon your budget you could stay at one of the luxury desert resorts, where you can stay in your ultra luxurious tents which all come with private pools and decks.
- You could take camel rides or go for desert safari
- You could enjoy champagne, fresh fruits and snacks as you watch the sunset in crest of dunes
- If you find Dubai’s heat a bit too much, there are water parks and indoor theme parks too where you could go to cool off
15. The Culture Of Marrakesh, Morocco
Talking of exotic places Marrakesh happens to one of the best honeymoon destinations in the world. Designers and musicians have been flying off to Marrakesh for decades to find inspiration. Yves-Saint Laurent’s former residence is still there. The sprawling home and gardens and Galerie “love”, where designer’s collage posters are on display is a must visit. You will feel as if you are walking on a movie set on the streets of Marrakesh with snake charmers, horse-drawn carriages, belly dancers and open air maze of traditional markets. The bright colored handicrafts, hand-woven fabrics, leather goods, brass and copper jewelry and aromas from the spice markets will charm you for sure. Marrakesh will indeed be an unforgettable cultural experience. You can:
- Visit the Fantasia show where you can see folklore and enjoy live Moroccan music with jugglers, belly dancing and the flying carpet.
- This ‘Southern pearl’ will make you travel through history with historical sites such as Koutoubia Mosque, with its 77m high minaret, Djemaa el-Fna, the UNESCO World Heritage Site
- You can also spend a day going on tour of the Atlas Mountains. The best way to do this is either go on foot or take a mule ride to enjoy the scenic landscape to the fullest
- Don’t forget to visit Essaouria, the old town. Here you will see everything is still preserved and untouched. The nearby beach is a popular windsurfing spot in Morocco
“Glamping is one of the recent trends for those who just can’t get enough of the outdoors and instead of staying in a room you book a honeymoon tent, Yes, a tent.”
14. The Wilderness Of Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka happens to be Asia’s hidden treasures, making it one of the affordable honeymoon destinations. It is also ideal for those who don’t like crowds and want to enjoy each other’s company in serenity and peace. It came under the spotlight quite recently and there are still very few spots which are crowded so you and your sweetheart can easily romance in seclusion. Since the island is fairly small within a few days you can enjoy mellow villages, rainforests, beaches and a lot of atmospheric temples and shrines. Marco Polo described Sri Lanka as one of the world’s finest islands of its size and the world finally seems to catch up. Some of the places to visit include:
- Yala National Park, where you can enjoy the Sri Lanka’s wildlife
- Adam’s Peak, it is widely believed this is the place where Adam descended on Earth
- Temple of the Tooth & Kelaniya Temple, if you want to get a feel of the Buddhist traditions
- Sri Lanka also has some of the world’s finest tea fields
13. The Clear Water Of Maldives
This exotic mini paradise will greet you with white-sand beaches, crystal clear water, atolls and its secluded resorts make it one of the best romantic getaways in the world. This Indian Ocean archipelago has been a popular choice for honeymooners for decades, but its hotel villas and resorts are made in such a way that you will at no point feel your privacy is being intruded upon. Most of the resorts have their private beaches and you will have your private see-facing wooden decks. Some of the rooms even offer private Jacuzzis which just the two of you can enjoy. Some of the other high-lights of Maldives:
- Coral nursery
- Underwater nightclub
- Exotic spas for couple relaxation
- Snorkel tours, including a nighttime tour where you can watch corals catching plankton and see the micro marine life glow in the dark.
- There are also a number of other water activities for adventure lovers
12. The Diversity Of Cappadocia, Turkey
Turkey’s beauty, culture, architecture and blend of modernity are truly mesmerizing. It has become one of the most popular tourist destinations recently but if you are on your honeymoon and want some seclusion Cappadocia is the place to go! The wind-carved landscapes of this buried city are an out of this world experience. The city is included on the sites of an ancient monastery with resorts boosting rooms restored from underground caves and tunnels. City is located just four hours from the capital, Istanbul which is more crowded. Here you can:
- Take hot air balloon rides to get a bird’s eye view of the city
- Take horse rides to explore magical valleys and rock formation
- Enjoy the traditional Turkish hammams for an outwardly spa experience
- Take a day tour of Istanbul to see some of the world’s finest museums and architectural sites
- The traditional bazaars are also a must visit for traditional Turkish jewelry and lamps
11. The Underwater Wonders Of Galapagos, Ecuador
If you and your sweetheart are looking for an adventurous trip to kick-start your new life the pastoral Galapagos Islands of Ecuador would be one of your dream honeymoon ideas. This is the place to go if you aren’t just looking for relaxation and candle light dinners. The islands are home to some of animals and plants found nowhere else in the world. You can find a number of honeymoon packages for Galapagos. Most of these are exploration packages which will take you on guided tours of the wildlife exclusive to this part of the world. You can:
- Visit the giant tortoise reserve, a leisurely stroll around the grounds will bring you face to face with giant tortoises
- You can go Island hoping on the yachts to explore neighboring islands
- Don’t forget to go scuba diving in Galapagos as it is one of the seven underwater wonders of the world
10. The Temples Of Mayanmar
Until recently Myanmar was closed to outside tourists and remains one of the most untouched, authentic and intact places in the world. Trip to this golden land will be an outwardly spiritual experience for the two of you. It has been home to Buddhist civilization for almost 2,500 years, and it will be almost impossible to see all the pagodas, temples and historical sites in a single visit. The country still sees very few foreign tourists and you can enjoy a truly meditating experience while getting to experience the Buddhist culture more closely. There is a lot to do in Myanmar
- Go trekking on Kalaw mountains
- Go on pilgrimage tours of Bagan
- There are biking tours available too especially if you want to catch the sunset over vestige at Mandalay
- There are also luxury river cruises and hot air balloon trips for sightseeing over Bagan plains
9. The Beaches Of Phuket, Thailand
Why Thailand? Because you get emerald colored water, white-sand beaches, numerous water activities and much more and it happens to be one of the world’s most affordable honeymoon destinations. Also there are a number of close-by islands which you can explore such as the Koh Tao, James Bond Island and many more. The place also has a happening night-life and very cheap shopping.
- You can rent a yacht for an exclusive experience or rent a motorbike and go exploring for your favorite beech with your partner on your own
- There is an exclusive adult-only resort at Koh Tao with just over a dozen Bamboo huts. Some of the huts come with private Jacuzzi and swimming pool perched on the edge of the sea
- There is a certified dive centre, where you can learn and then test your newly acquired skills and go for scuba diving in the emerald waters.
“This is one of the oldest cities of North America founded by the French; you will feel you are walking in the streets of Paris by the similarity between cobblestone streets and fashionable boutiques of the two cities.”
8. The Woods Of Greenough, Montana
For the outdoorsy couples Greenough, Montana is one of the best honeymoon destinations in U.S. The pristine wilderness of Montana will swoon you over surely. If you are still unfamiliar with ‘glamping’ or have heard about it and want to try it, Greenough is the place to go! Glamping is one of the recent trends for those who just can’t get enough of the outdoors and instead of staying in a room you book a honeymoon tent, Yes, a tent! These tents are pretty luxurious, as you can see in the picture above, with a view to die for. Open the doors and you will be greeted by the fresh mountain air! Some of these tents even come with copper tubs for a romantic indulgent soak.
- You can have private candlelit picnic dinners by the Cliffside
- Go canoeing in the Blackfoot River
- Spend time at the stables
- There are plenty of lodging options available at Greenough, with scenic view of the mountains
7. The Paradise Of St. Lucia
This is another spot for the adventure loving spouses. This Caribbean paradise offers slightly different beaches than most places, it is a mountainous region covered with rain forest and the south-west corners have green and precipitous volcanic cones of the Petit Piton and Gros Piton rising out of a blue ocean. The beaches are golden on the northern part of the island and cascades towards silverfish as you head southward. It is a good choice for those looking for secluded and luxurious romantic getaways.
- Your hotel room might come with outdoor garden shower, private pool, Jacuzzi and hammocks to soak in the sun within the privacy of your hotel room
- If you want to party the night away Rodney Bay Village, the island’s only resort would be the place to go
- Did you know some of the upscale hotels in St. Lucia offer you pre-crafted customized beds! You can get your initial carved in the bed, and take a piece of your honeymoon home with you. The beds can be pre-ordered and will be in your suite the day you arrive and shipped to your home the day you leave!
6. The Nature Of English Countryside
The English countryside came under the spotlight ever since George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin decided to retire in a manor house after their wedding there last year. Their chosen spot is in the county of Berkshire. The county is just on an hour and a half drive from the happening London, with its serene beauty and breathtaking green fields. You can enjoy English tea and feel pampered by the royal treatment as you unwind surrounded by nature. Some of the places you can visit:
- Windsor castle, one of England’s most popular sights and residence to the Royal family is in this county
- The elite premises of Eton is located here
- You could visit Highclere Castle and Downtown Abbey where guided tours are allowed on public opening days
- You could also visit the Cliveden House for an extraordinary dining experience, where the every British monarch from George I to Winston Churchill has dined.
5. The Lifestyle Of Milan, Italy
Milan is perfect for couples who are fashion-forward, have a taste for food and culture and appreciate opera. The cosmopolitan is always a buzz with something or the other happening. This year Milan will be hosting World Expo 2015, which will end just in time for winter. The expo’s main focus will be food and nutrition, where world-renowned chefs from all corners of the world will be displaying their culinary skills. Milan also houses some of the best fashion brands; therefore the fashion scene is also never dull there both on the catwalks and on the streets.
- The accommodation options range from upscale hotels to holiday apartments and suites
- Visit to the La Scala famous opera is a must
- Recent developments have introduced arrays of shops, restaurants, social and cultural centers so it is impossible to not find something happening in the city at all times of the year
4. The Secrets Of Ibiza, Spain
Honeymooners, Ibiza is a lot more than those wild all night parties! You can find sleeping serene hill villages just a few miles from the city. It’s a fusion of modern Italy and the Italian culture the country has been known for. There is so much to explore in Ibiza. Some of the attractions include:
- Lush forests with secret trails
- Rolling orchids and chic farmhouses for those who want to relax in the Italian country
- You can also stay on the palm-fringed beaches and along with the sun enjoy the spa experience
- You can also take a 30 minute boat ride to Formentera Islands with some of the most untouched, natural beaches with turquoise waters
3. The Clamness Of Iceland
This largely uninhibited country will mesmerize you with its ever changing scenery. The country has everything from grassy highlands to low landscapes, soaring geysers to towering waterfalls to blue lagoon hot springs! It is nature’s wonderland with a lot to offer. You can catch the beautiful Northern lights if you chose to stay at one of the remote hotels. Other thing Iceland offers include:
- Snaefellsjökull National Park with animposing glacier at the center, this is the same spot which is called “gateway to center of the earth” as depicted in the famous book by Jules Verne
- Close by you can see two massive lava formations and secluded waterfalls
- Blue Lagoon is another must pit stop where you can dip in and out of the various pools and hot springs with your sweetheart
- You can also get an in-water couple’s massage here if you’re in mood for mixing some romance with adventure
2. The Cold Of Quebec City, Canada
Quebec City has been voted as one of the happiest cities to live in Canada. This is one of the oldest cities of North America founded by the French; you will feel you are walking in the streets of Paris by the similarity between cobblestone streets and fashionable boutiques of the two cities. The romantic cozy cafes are another similarity, minus the international airfare. So if you are looking for cheap honeymoon destinations you must consider this city for sure. The city will enrich you and your sweetheart with happiness and joy. The old part of the city is so beautifully preserved to this day, that you will feel yourself walking into another era. There’s a lot you can do here.
- You could go visit the old city, and your hotel will arrange for a professional photographer who can take portraits and later convert them into an album
- Ride Old Québec’s Funicular, only one of its kinds in North America
- Discover the history behind the founding of Québec City at the Musée Du Fort or Musée de la Civilisation
- Take in the city’s stunning skyline from aboard a ferry
1. The Blue Waters Of Tulum, Mexico
If you have already strained your budget on the wedding and are looking for affordable honeymoon destinations Tulum in Mexico is the place to go. The place has so much to offer that you will be sure to thank us! This ancient Mayan village is a tropical paradise with a history and an eccentric twist in a good way. There are a number of very affordable hotels; you can chose between see facing or jungle view hotels. The white sand beaches with a number of water activities and the white sands are another bonus. What more can you do?
- There are ruins of pre-Columbian Maya walled city. Tulum began as a city atop a 39 foot high cliff. A staircase leads to the ruins of the castle. Make sure you bring your bathing suit along as it is situated just by the sea.
- Explore the Cenotes Sac Actun caves and steal your sweetheart away from the tourists. You can even go snorkeling in these caves
- As you head southward from the main beach, there is another beach which is sort of hidden. This is called ‘Playa Paraiso’ meaning, ‘piece of paradise’. One look at the clear blue waters and you will know why it is called that.
A Few More Tips For Honeymooners
We have given you plenty of honeymoon ideas to choose from; whether you are looking for romantic getaways or affordable honeymoon ideas or if you have an endless budget, you will find something of your liking in both honeymoon destinations in U.S. and abroad. Just a few helpful tips
- If you plan to travel abroad, make sure you check the validity of your passport and other documents before time
- Some countries have additional visa requirements such as vaccinations or other documents, check that before applying for visa
- Also check which months are most suitable to visit that country
- It’s also a good idea to familiarize yourself with the custom or etiquettes of an country as you would not want to offend the locals
- Lastly, this is one of the most carefree and intimate time you will ever get to spend with your spouse, make it as memorable as possible.