Sometimes blisters filled with blood instead of fluids appear on the skin generally due to damage to the blood vessels under the skin. These blisters are not only painful but also look bad on the skin.
There are various causes of blood blisters the major ones include.
- Too much force exerted on body including pinching
- Burning of body part or even sunburns
- Reaction of chemical products
- Viral or fungal infections of skins
- Too much friction on certain body part
Blood blisters usually appear on the body when the blood could not find a way out after some injury and they mostly appear on foot and hand but could occasionally appear on other body parts as well.
Try to avoid blisters as much as you can as they are not only hurting, but could also reduce your working abilities if appear on the hand. However, once appeared you should try your best that it does not get burst and take proper care of it.
Although, these blisters does not require any special treatment and you do not need to see a doctor for it but there are certain home remedies that could be effective in such situation. They would not only reduce the sensation of pain but would also help to heal them quickly. More over these cures are easily available and because of the usage of natural products are free of risk of getting infection. After using these remedies, you would even forget that you ever had one blood blister.
So, let us learn some quick home remedies that could prove to be the best to get rid of your blood blisters.
Ice cube treatment is another effective DIY solution. The first immediate thing that you can do after the blood blister appear is to treat it with ice cubes. In case you do not have ice cubes or simple ice, a cold spoon can work. This would immediately stop bleeding and would help the vessels to get shrink. Very effective especially in treating blisters that are on visible places like blood blister on foot. The ice should not be directly applied on the blister and the right method to apply it is as follow:
- Take a plastic bag and put some ice cubes in it and then cover it with a small piece of cloth
- Then place this on the blister for at least 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes remove the bag from blister
- Repeat this step several times until the required results are obtained.
13. Witch Hazel
Witch-hazel is very effective in not only naturally drying the blister, but also very useful in reducing the pain caused due to it. It has strong tannins that help to lessen the burning sensation. Really effective especially for blisters on hands or blood blister on finger.
- Put a small quantity of witch hazel juice on blood blister and wait until it dries.
- For good results apply this remedy four times a day and continue this process for at least one or two weeks.
12. Cucumber Juice
Cucumber is a famous ingredient that is used to treat many skin related issues and it provides cool and soothing sensation. Applying cucumber juice will keep the skin together and would save you from trouble of swelling, pain, and inflammation. It naturally has silica in it that is very effective in strengthening the connective tissues of skin. You can also use it to treat blood blister in mouth.
- Cut a cucumber and make it ice cooled by keeping it in freezer for a little while
- Place this chilled piece on the blister for few minutes
- Repeat the same step several times a day and keep it using until you get rid of the blister
- Drinking fresh cucumber juice everyday could also be useful.
11. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is known for it amazing health benefits especially it has natural quality of healing the skin issues and is good for healing the inflammation. It creates cooling effect and brings relief from pain. Because of these qualities, Aloe Vera could rightly be used as a cure for blood blister. It also can be used to cure blood blister in mouth.
- Cut a piece of fresh Aloe Vera and apply its gel on the affected area having blood blister. If you do not have fresh Aloe Vera at your home, you can also use its juice that is easily available in market.
- Apply this gel or juice for few days until the blisters are gone
- Aloe Vera gel could also be mixed with vitamin E oil in equal ratios and could be applied on the blisters smoothly to get better results.
“These homemade remedies are better than going to the doctor. These blood blisters are not serious disease that needs special treatment but as it is a pain-causing problem so some treatment using the natural ingredients could be useful. In case you get blisters, try not to pop it yourself and make sure nothing else pops it either because it can then increase the chances of affected area being infected with some germs that are present in the air all the time. However, in case it pops up apply some antiseptic at once and start using the most easily available natural ingredient mentioned above. This would not only lower the healing timing which in general case is nearly 30-40 days but would also help lower your pain.”
To treat many skin related problems sandalwood paste has been used from centuries. It surely is effective to not only reduce the inflammation caused due to blood blisters but also helps in lowering the pain. If you need a speedy recovery of your blood blisters, you should apply sandalwood paste that would absorb the heat from blood blister and results in quick recovery. Try this paste on blood blister on foot or any other place on your body and It will provide instant relief.
- Add sandalwood paste in some rose water and make a thick paste
- Now apply this paste gently over the blisters and leave it there to dry
- On drying wash it with cold water
- Repeat this procedure for couple of times in a single day and continue using until the desired results.
Turmeric has a natural healing property and is used in treating the skin tanning and burns caused due to sun exposure for many years. It is a natural anti-septic and it is used in curing many skin infections. You can also use this treatment for blood blister in mouth. For effective application of turmeric on skin, the best way is to apply it in paste form
- Simply mix a small quantity of turmeric powder in rose water until a thick paste is made. You can also mix the powder with honey.
- Apply this paste on your affected area where blood blister has appeared and let it be there for half an hour or so and then wash it with cold water.
- Use this paste three times or more every day.
- Turmeric powder mixed with warm milk also has great healing powers and has proved to be very effective in case of any internal or external injury. For curing blood, blisters drink warm milk in which turmeric powder is mixed.
8. Tea Tree Oil
This tea tree oil has been proved useful for many medical issues and certainly is one of the best remedies for treating blood blisters. Its natural properties of being anti-inflammatory, antifungal, and antiseptic will help a quick recovery of blisters by drying them. If you do not have pure form of Tea Tree oil, there are many ointments, soaps, creams, and lotions easily available in the market that could be used as alternatives. If you have blood blister on finger or hands, apply tea tree oil directly for immediate relief. It is strong antiseptic and is generally not recommended for pregnant women or those breastfeeding their children. In case you have Tea Tree Oil, the following process would be useful
- Add few drops of oil in warm water to make it thin.
- Then apply this oil on the blister and let it dry for at least 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes clean the area with cold water, repeat this process twice or thrice every day, and use this process until your skin gets free of the blister.
7. Epsom Salt
Among many natural products that have properties of reducing pain and inflammation of skin, Epsom salt is also one very helpful for this purpose. As Epsom, salt is mixed in warm water it increases its effectiveness as the warm water has a property of naturally popping up the blisters. If you have blood blister on foot, just soak your feet in Epsom salt water for an immediate relief.
- Mix small quantity of Epsom salt in Luke warm water
- Wash the blisters with this water
- Use this solution two to three times daily.
- This mixture can cure the blister within no time.
6. Garlic Oil
Garlic is a very beneficial natural ingredient. It not only helps in thinning of blood but is also a strong disinfectant for germs. Really effective if you have blisters on hands or have blood blister on finger. For effective usage of garlic for removing blood blister, use its oil.
- Heat up garlic oil for few minutes and then allow it to cool at normal temperature
- Rub this oil slowly on the area
- Let this oil be on the skin for at least 30 minutes till it completely gets absorbed in the skin
- Then wash that area with either cold water or use cleanser for this purpose
- Repeat the step three or four times daily.
Some people may be allergic to the garlic oil and their skin gets swelled or irritating. In that case, stop using this oil at once as it could lead to severe issues.
Ginger is a natural cure of many natural skin diseases. It has many qualities that help to cure the skin related issues besides having other medicinal values. Ginger juice is also available easily in markets in case you cannot extract ginger juice directly yourself. It is really effective if you’ve blood blister in mouth.
Quick link = Benefits of ginger
- Extract ginger juice from a fresh ginger.
- Apply this juice on the blisters gently
- Repeat the same process about five or six time daily.
Using ginger juice would help reduce the burning sensation and would heal the blisters quickly.
“Hope this article would be the answer to you all questions regarding the cure of blood blisters and would prove to be effective in curing your blisters. So, use these simple and easy remedies for yourself and for your loved ones as well.”
4. Tea Bags
Using tea bags on affected area is also one of the easiest and useful remedy for blood blisters. Tea has certain acids that speed up healing process of bloody blisters. It would not only help in healing but would also stop the condition to get worst. Chilled tea bag is effective in this regard. For this purpose
- After using a tea bag place it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes until it gets ice cold.
- Now take it out of refrigerator and place it directly on the blister for some time.
- This moistened tea bag should be used twice or thrice daily and the results would be obtained within two to three weeks depending upon the extent of damage.
A good antiseptic mouthwash is also a good cure for the blisters in case it burst. Some mouthwashes also have antibacterial qualities because of which they could be applied on the affected area and would help preventing any kind of infection or fungal attack.
Besides these quick remedies, there are some other tips that you could utilize in case you are having blood blisters.
2. Stay Away From Spicy and Salty Food
Blood blisters can never be cured in a single day but require couple of days to get vanish. During that period try using as much of citrus fruits and fresh leafy green vegetables and try to avoid too much spicy and salty food as it would extend the healing time and you would suffer more. Eating fresh vegetables and fruits increase natural immunity and help the blisters to heal quickly.
1. Stop Smoking
Smoking, anyways, has adverse effects on your body and doctors always recommend you to stay away from smoking. But in case you have blood blisters you should specially try to stay away from smoking as smoking increase the body temperature by producing excessive heat in the body and this would extend the healing duration and it would take longer to get rid of your blisters.
There are certain dos and don’ts that you should keep in mind relevant to blood blisters. They would prove to be useful for you.
- Keep your blisters covered with bandage
- In case blister burst keep it sterilized
- Use the remedies as per directions for effective results.
- Remove any pressure applied on blister
- Avoid any situations causing blisters
- Immediately start curing it
- Consult a doctor immediately if the condition gets worse
- Do not pop a blister yourself
- Do not remove the skin in case it pops as it would increase chances of infection
- If any ingredient mentioned above is causing any kind of allergy stop using it at once
- Do not ignore a blood blister at first spot