The smelly scalp of yours can cause low confidence level and takes away the courage to move freely in your circle of friends and relatives and also among general people as well. They feel bad sitting among people and start refraining from gatherings and public meetings. In some people, this smell is so strong that they sometimes have the issue of flies buzzing over their heads. This pungent smell not only feels bad but also become unbearable in some cases. People often complain that they face the same problem even after taking showers. This means that the issue is not about the lack of hygiene, there are some other factors that get involved in producing such smell. They even try having shampoos of different fragrances just to avoid the smelly scalp but the result still remains the same.
In such cases, the question rises that what actually are the factors that cause this smell. As per some researchers who conducted researches to find out the reason behind smelly scalp, seborrhea dermatitis could be a major cause of smelly hairs. It is a condition when excessive oils and dirt combines on the scalp. Tired of this problem, most people go for the allopathic treatment by taking different medicines and medicated shampoos to get rid of it. Some people often try consulting some beauty experts but could not get the lifetime results and still remain stuck with the problem. Assuming that the issue could be because of some fungal or bacterial activity, people even opt for taking antibacterial and antifungal medication. In some cases, it proves to be useful but never always. Some products enriched with sulphur have the ability to control the oil of the scalp. This can control the growth of bacteria and fungi to some extent.
But in such situation home remedies have proved to be the most effective and lifetime cure for smelly hair problem. There are some ingredients from everyday use that could prove to be useful in treating the smelly scalp. Here are some of the most beneficial hair care and hair growth tips which will surely prove really very helpful:
20. Take Bath Regularly
Washing your hair on the regular basis removes the dirt and filth that could stick to the scalp hence resulting in the production of oils. This also clogs the pores of the scalp and hence, refrain it from getting oxygenated. Lack of supply of oxygen can cause dandruff and also promotes the secretion of hair oils. Thus, make it a habit to take the shower daily. This will not only remove any kind of residual of products left on your scalp after using hair sprays and gel or other hair cosmetics and would keep the pores open but will also remove the oily layer that is produced everyday on your scalp as well. So washing your hair and scalp is the best way to get rid of smelly hair problem.
19. Drink Plenty Of Water
Drinking a lot of fresh water is surely a cure and an effective DIY solution for many skin and hair related issues. Drinking at least 8-10 glass of fresh water everyday would not only keep you hydrated, but would also cleanse your skin and your scalp. The waste produced in the body can be passed out of the body by drinking plenty of water. Water also helps in getting this dirt and waste getting clogged in the scalp thus causing the scalp issue.
Quick Links = Learn How To Get Rid Of Eye Bags With Excessive Water Drinking Habits
18. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil has many advantages. It has not only proved to be really useful in treating the smelly scalp, but it also controls the itchy feeling that also comes with the smelly scalp. This oil should be applied in small quantity over the scalp after shampooing your hairs. It will bring comfort to your itchy scalp and will also control smell producing oils.
Quick Link = Best Foundation For Oily Skin
17. Olive Oil
Most of you will be aware of the advantages and benefits of using olive oil. It is good for your skin, nails and hairs as well. Olive oil is also one of the oils that could control the bad odors of your scalp.
- Massage your scalp with the small amount of olive oil before taking bath.
- For best results, the procedure should be repeated after taking a bath as well.
- Use olive oil for hair growth regularly and you will see miraculous effects . The issues like irritation and itching of the scalp could be reduced to a great extent by the regular use of olive oil.
16. Garlic Oil
Garlic is a very powerful agent to reduce any fungal activity. It has wonderful antifungal properties and reduces the growth of fungi. It has the ability to magically make your hairs free of smell. It attacks the root cause of smell by killing the bad odor-producing microorganisms. This oil is easily available in the market and could be purchased at a reasonable price. It can also be prepared at home. For getting rid of smelly hair problem, do this:
- Add two cloves of garlic in some regular oil and heat it
- After some time of heating, you will get homemade garlic oil.
- Let it cool and apply it regularly in your hairs.
- This is a quick and easy way to get a clear and fragrant scalp.
15. Avoid Conditioner On The Scalp
While using conditioner, make sure that it should only be applied on the tips of the hair and should not be applied on the scalp. Applying conditioner on the smell activates the oil producing glands. The oily nature of conditioner, when combined with the secreted oil from the scalp, doubles the effect and hence resulting into smelly scalp. It also activates the growth of smell causing microorganisms.
14. Use Sulphur Rich Products
While choosing the shampoo for your hair, choose those that are rich in sulphur and salicylic acid. These two ingredients have the natural property of neutralizing microbial activity.
13. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has a natural property of cleaning the skin and making it free of microbes and other bacteria. For best results, tea tree oil could be mixed with other oils like jojoba or olive oil. The massage of the mixture of oil on the scalp will make it clean and pure. In fact, these oils are one of the best solutions for smelly scalp issue.
“For treating such kind of issues, prefer taking home remedies rather than relying on the medicines. These simple remedies are surely effective in solving your problem of itchy scalp and also control the factors responsible for producing bad smell in your hairs. These tips and techniques require only those products that are used in everyday life and are easy to find. These are also free from any kind of harmful after-effect. But these techniques should also not be followed blindly. The ingredients best suitable for your hairs should only be used as only using the right kind of products for your hair would bring positive results. After following these tips, you would once again be able to move confidently in your society and among your friends as these tips would have magical effect and would remove any kind of bad smell coming from your hairs.”
12. Apple Cider Vinegar
Mix apple cider vinegar in water in the ratio of 1:4 and wash your hairs with this water. It is a guaranteed tip to make your hairs smell free. The vinegar helps in removing the oily layer and helps in balancing the pH level of the scalp.
11. Lemon Juice
Before using any kind of oil in your hairs e.g. olive oil, jojoba oil etc. add few drops of lemon juice n it. Lemon has antibacterial properties naturally and the citrus present in the lemon helps to reduce the oils of the scalp. This would be really very beneficial in curing the smell of your hairs. A great technique to treat smelly hair and smelly scalp using lemon juice is as follows:
Quick link = Benefits of lemon water
- Squeeze some lemon juice in lavender or rosemary oil
- Gently massage your scalp and leave it on your scalp overnight
- This procedure should be repeated twice or thrice a week
- This is an effective remedy for longer time period.
10. Tomato Juice
Tomato juice has natural cleansing and balancing the pH properties. For this purpose:
- Take out the pulp of tomato and blend it to make a fine tomato juice
- Apply this juice on your scalp and gently massage it.
- Leave it there for about half an hour and then wash your hairs with shampoo.
- This would prevent your hairs from getting smelly fro few days.
9. Onion Juice
Onion juice is also one among many useful home remedies to cure a smelly scalp. Although onion juice is pungent, and applying it on the scalp for a longer period of time is not easy for many of you. But onion juice has some unique antiseptic properties that make it perfect for treating itchy and oily scalp and get rid of smelly hair problem.
- Apply some onion juice on your scalp and let it be there for about 30 minutes.
- Now rinse you hair thoroughly.
- This will not only control the smell but also reduce the stickiness in your hairs produced due to oil.
8. Baking Soda
Baking soda has an extraordinary neutralizing effect that is very useful for treating bad odor and excessive oil secretion.
- Add one portion of baking powder into three portions of water and blend it properly
- Make your hairs wet with water and then apply this mixture on your wet hairs.
- Leave it for about 5 minutes and then rinse it with plain water
- This procedure should be followed once in every week
7. Cinnamon Powder And Honey
Both these ingredients are proved to have resistance against bacterial and fungal activity. This helps a lot in keeping you away from different kind of infections that could be caused due to it. Try this simple remedy to effectively treat smelly scalp problem.
Quick link = Benefits of cinnamon
- Add one cup of boiling hot water in half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Let this mixture settle for about thirty minutes.
- Now add one teaspoon of honey in this mixture and apply it over the scalp.
- After forty minutes wash your hairs and scalp with fresh water and then apply shampoo afterwards.
Cinnamon powder is easily available in the market and you can also prepare it at home using fresh cinnamon.
Another way to use cinnamon powder and honey is as follows
- Mix one tablespoon of honey and about quarter tablespoon of cinnamon powder
- Mix it properly until a paste is formed
- Applying this mixture regularly will not only make your hair look stronger and shiny but will also control the production of smell
Quick Link = Learn How To Get Rid Of Acne Scars Overnight
6. Grape Fruit Extract
It is also an easy and effective remedy. Before using shampoo add about eight to ten drops of grapefruit extracts in your regular shampoo and then massage it on your scalp properly and then wash it. This will certainly be beneficial.
5. Milk Of Magnesia
The excessive oils produced by the glands in the scalp could be controlled using milk of magnesia.
- It also has the property of controlling the bad smell from scalp and smelly hair problem.
- Apply small quantity of milk of magnesia on the scalp and then leave it there for an hour
- After an hour or so, wash your hairs thoroughly with shampoo.
4. Orange Juice And Peel
The unnecessary oil produced on the scalp and dandruff produced as a result of it could be controlled by orange juice. Orange peel has a magical impact on your hairs.
- Take an empty jar and clean it properly. Add some orange juice in it. Also add a small quantity of apple cider vinegar in it. Now keep it stored in cupboard for about 2 weeks
- Take this mixture out after two weeks and then add two tablespoons of this mixture in twelve to sixteen ounce of water.
- Then spray this water in your hairs and wash it after leaving fro few minutes
There is an alternative procedure that could be followed in case you do not want to apply orange juice. For this
- Add powder of orange peel in water and boil it
- Allow it to cool at room temperature for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Apply it directly on your hairs and after five minutes wash it away with simple water.
To clear the hair locks and to prevent the bad odor of scalp, vodka could be used as a cure. It can bring wonderful results.
- Add a small quantity about one tablespoon of vodka in a bottle of water.
- Use it as a shampoo but leave it there in your hairs.
- You do not need to wash them with water
- Follow this procedure once in a week.
2. Egg Yolk
Take a little amount of yogurt depending upon the length of your hairs as longer hairs will require more yogurt than the shorter ones. Try this egg recipe to avoid smelly hair problem and also to make your hair healthy and beautiful.
- Add one egg yolk in it and beat it properly until mixed.
- Apply this egg yolk hair mask mixture thoroughly on your scalp.
- After about twenty to twenty-five minutes when the mixture gets dried, rinse it thoroughly with cold water.
Thyme is a natural herb and is used as a remedy for many kinds of issues including the itchy feeling on the scalp and bad odor of hairs.
- Boil two cups of thymes in two liters of water for fifteen minutes.
- Cover it with a lid so that it could prevent it from getting evaporated.
- Allow this water to cool at room temperature.
- Once it gets cool, drain it.
- Use this water to wash your hairs.
This is very powerful herb and would immediately clear any kind of dirt or filth stick to your scalp and cause irritation.
- Regularly wash your hairs and keep the scalp clean
- Things like pillows, towels and hair brushes etc. should be replaced frequently at the right time
- Take healthy fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Drink a lot of water
- Use the right kind of products for your hair.
- Use shampoos rich in sulphur.
- Follow these remedies than taking any medications.
- If any kind of allergy appears after using these products, stop using them immediately.
- In case the condition gets worst, immediately consult a doctor.
- Do not eat too much oily or spicy food as it promotes oil secretion
- Do not leave the cosmetics like hair sprays, gel etc. and shampoos in your hairs for longer time
- Do not tie your hairs until dried properly
- Avoid apply too many products on your hairs especially the fragrant products
- Brush your hairs only when necessary. Over brushing your hairs also make them oily.