It appears mostly on the head scalp but can also attack on face and other parts of the body in which they experience an oily and greasy dandruff like substance appeared on the skin.
Cradle cap is a common skin issue but the good news is that it is not too much harmful infect it is harmless and it is said to be temporary especially when it appears in children. The problem with Cradle cap is that it looks very bad and a person feels very bad about it, you couldn’t go for the family photo shot or your little baby’s head will look ugly having a scaly and oily yellow surface. Sometimes it can produce inflammation and slightly itching. It can bring hair fall in adults. Cradle cap can grow around the eye brows also.
Cradle cap also known as seborrheic dermatitis is a normal type of dandruff and this is not infectious. There are so many causes such as oily skin, hormonal mis balances, various types of skin allergies and problems, transformation from parents as a hereditary problem, being dirty by the skin, use of drugs or medicines during pregnancy, puberty and hormonal changes, stress and depression, emotional hurt and by the growth of fungi. You can use some simple, natural but effective ways if you want to know how to get rid of cradle cap.
Although this problem is not a serious issue but it can treated at home using some natural remedies such as:
“Cradle cap is not a very harming disorder but it demands some attention. This develops when the oil glands produce excessive amount of oil especially in the scalp. One should not be confuse with one another skin problem called eczema which is having a very similar outer look but it is too uncomfortable.”
According to the doctors oil produced in the body is main cause of Cradle cap although it needs more specification and there may be other causes. To prevent from Cradle cap it is necessary to wash the baby’s head with a specific shampoo made for baby. This happens when the dead skin remains stick to the oily scalp. One should take care while shampooing their child as their skin is too sensitive. This DIY remedy should be done in the way described here:
- Take some water that should be normal because too warm can hurt the baby skin.
- Now sock your baby’s head in the water.
- Apply the shampoo with the help of your hand.
- Rub gently.
- You can use soft rubbing hair brush for this.
- After a while wash it off.
- One should repeat this twice to thrice in a week for better results.
Vaseline which we can call petroleum jelly has various functions. People have been using it to beat many skin problems. This is a fast working remedy for Cradle cap. This cradle cap treatment should be used in the way described below:
- Take some Vaseline.
- Apply this using your hands on the scalp.
- Try to make a thick.
- Use this remedy at night before going to sleep.
- Leave it there until morning.
- At morning wipe it with a soft cloth and no need of washing etc.
Oils are enjoying a great role in skin issues and moreover these are easily available. There are various such oils which should be used to treat Cradle cap. Some oils are useful in avoiding inflammation and itching caused by Cradle cap. You can remedies from several oils by mixing them or you can use it with some other ingredients. Some of the oils recommended by doctors are listed below:
- Fish oil is the most effective and it is present in many baby products. Use this for some days.
- Put some vegetable oil on the affected area and give a slow massage.
- Coconut oil is also beneficial as this removes the yellow scales produced by Cradle cap.
- Apply some amount of coconut oil and leave it for around the day.
- Wash it off and rub the greasy area while washing.
- A brush can also be used for this.
- Beside this jojoba oil also works in the treatment of Cradle cap.
- One another method of using oil for babies is putting some any recognized baby oil on the affected area and covers the scalp. This will remove the Cradle cap easily.
- Almond oil is best for new born babies as this not harmful and doesn’t has side effects. Beside this almond oil is truly natural and easy to use as it effectively helps get rid of seborrheic dermatitis.
9. Soda Solution
Many people have been using baking soda for the treatment of Cradle cap. Baking soda doesn’t works only for baking but it is more a natural remedy for various diseases. It is a proven homemade remedy in curing Cradle cap. A large number of people have liked the use of baking soda for treating Cradle cap on a registered site. It can be used in different ways as described below as an effective cradle cap treatment:
- Take some amount of normal warm water.
- Mix some baking soda and make a solution.
- Now apply this to the affected area.
- Second method of using baking soda is to put some amount of it on the baby’s wet scalp during giving a bath.
- Leave it for a while.
- Now wash it off and give a regular comb while washing.
8. Antimicrobial Soap
You can learn how to get rid of cradle cap using these special soups. When dust like particles interact with the oil produced by the scalp, there the chances of Cradle cap grows. Here the scalp needs to be very much clean. Commercially available antibacterial soaps may have side effects and can harm the sensitive skin and that’s why it is easy to your own antimicrobial soap to avoid germ and infection. This soap is pure and it contains natural remedies. These all products are available at home or in your nearest market. One should take care while using it because its overuse can kill the essential microbes in the body because some function of our immune system needs some good microbe during actions. The method of making this antimicrobial soap is here:
- Get some essential oil in a bowl for which almond and vegetable oil will be good.
- Coconut oil can also be used as an alternative to it.
- Now extract some grapefruit seed.
- Crush them well and make a powder form.
- Now mix this into the oil.
- Mix well and make a solution which is your homemade antimicrobial soap without any side effects.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
The vinegar has acidic properties which can easily remove Cradle cap from the scalp. This also works for infants suffering from Cradle cap. This fights with the dead skin and removes it which can create Cradle cap. This first removes the smell produced by the disorder. This cradle cap treatment can be used in two different ways as described below:
- Take some pure apple cider vinegar.
- Make a small cotton ball if you are using this for the little baby to avoid hurting.
- Apply this vinegar twice in a day before giving a bath.
- Use this remedy twice in a week.
Another method of using organic apple cider vinegar is in a way:
- Take some water in a container.
- Now add vinegar into it which should be half of the water that is in a ratio of 1:2.
- Mix them well.
- Now use this remedy to massage on the affected area.
- Leave the skin with this remedy for around 10 minutes and then wash it off.
“There are various herbs and oils which can be used in the treatment of Cradle cap but one should know his skin type. Some herbs or oils can give side effects if the person is having any allergic issue or any other skin problem. Some remedies can’t work for you and at that time you should consult the doctor if it is going bigger.”
A sweet drink called coffee which is liked by many people. Some mothers have found coffee a remedy for Cradle cap but not the hot one. For treating Cradle cap or seborrheic dermatitis, some amount of cold coffee is workable and helpful. Coffee also can’t work for everyone but is a curing agent for so many people who has recommended it to use. It is easy to use and harmless for children’s skin. Try using coffee in the following way:
- Put some black wet coffee on the affected area.
- Wash it off after some time.
- Or make some liquid coffee and cool it.
- Now apply this directly on the Cradle cap.
- Allow it there for some time and then wash it.
If you want to know how to get rid of cradle cap naturally and quickly this treatment is perfect for you. Kombucha is an acidic which also carries probiotic properties. Accidentally it was found as the curing agent in the treatment of Cradle cap. It is a quick and fast remedy who finishes the smell and the inflammation caused by Cradle cap. This stops the secretions secreted by Cradle cap. It should be used in a way shown below:
- First of all give your baby a bath and clean the Cradle cap area well.
- Now put some kumbucha scoby on the affected area.
- Let it there for around fifteen minutes.
- Now rinse the head with water.
- This can be used for some days but if it is according to your skin, it will give a quick result may be in the first use.
4. Olive Oil And Herbs
Olive oil along with some other herbs are very beneficial to avoid itching which disturbs a baby a lot and make him to scratch his head all the day. This is not a harmful remedy like anti-dandruff shampoos because it is totally natural and is baby friendly. Make sure to use this simple but effective cradle cap treatment for good results. To make solution of olive oil with some herbs you will have to follow the below shown method:
Quick link = Home remedies for dandruff
- Boil some water and cool it down.
- Now add some olive oil and almond oil.
- Mix this mixture well.
- Now add the herbs which are rosemary and thyme.
- Now leave this solution to infuse with one another.
- Use this as a shampoo.
- You can store it in a bottle for next use according to the need.
3. Using Tea Tree Oil
Although tea tree oil is a toxic one but it can remove the Cradle cap easily. People have been using it for making of different remedies for a number of skin problems. This oil can be harmful for infants if touched by the baby and get into the eyes; one should take care during using it. To use tea tree oil to remove seborrheic dermatitis, it should be mixed with some other stuff and the procedure is described below:
- First of all do dilute the tea tree oil to minimize its toxicity.
- Take some almond oil in a bowl.
- Now add few drops of tea tree oil into it.
- Mix them all very well.
- Apply this onto baby’s head or where necessary.
- Leave it for around fifteen minutes.
- Now remove it with a gentle comb. You can also wash it and can also use a shampoo for wash.
Sometimes Cradle cap can do occur due to dryness and because of that you need to be moistened. Moistening body can be in many different ways. This prevents the Cradle cap to develop. Beside all its properties this is a very simple and harmless treatment and purely natural. A simple cradle cap treatment method recommended is here below:
- Give your baby a bath first.
- Use any moisturizing soap for the bath.
- Now dry the head partially and let it half wet.
- This will leave the skin moisten.
- Now apply some amount of emollient cream over affected area.
- Let the cream to seal in the light drops of water left after bath.
- Beside this drinking water also hydrates the body and prevents from many health problems.
1. Cocoa Butter
Cradle cap when develops on the scalp, it takes only some time to be dry and becomes very hard to remove. In this you need something which should soften the Cradle cap and give a quick result. How to use this remedy to get rid of seborrheic dermatitis is described below:
- To use cocoa butter apply some of it on the affected area.
- Leave it there until you are feeling that it has softened the Cradle cap.
- Now brush this.
- You should do a massage during shampooing.
- Use good oil which suits you the best.
- Choose a mild shampoo for the baby and be careful while buying the baby products.
- Give natural food to the baby as much as possible which includes minerals.
- Use a soft comb or brush.
- Do not use any remedy if you are having any allergy.
- Avoid using more than one remedy at a time.