We have all been guilty of hoarding beauty products. Our vanities and shelves are always overflowing with half used jars of products for both skin and hair which were bought in the hope that they will turn out to be the next miracle thing. Unfortunately, these products hardly deliver what they claim! Personally, I always look for things which can serve multiple purposes. They are time, space and money savers. Up till now I have been able to find very few things which served all the purposes they claimed. Another thing I like to look in my hair and beauty products is ingredients which I can identify, chemicals whose names I can’t even pronounce scare me.
In search of all natural and multipurpose products I laid my hands on my first jar of coconut oil and I was completely swooned over by benefits of coconut oil and what wonders it did. A number of celebrities are already part of the coconut oil celebrity craze. They swear by several uses of coconut oil. After some research and trying coconut oil for skin and hair I too became a fan.
Coconut oil has been classified as cure-all for a number of skin and hair problems. It can moisturize, scrub, deodorize, cleanse and what not. It has been a beauty secret of people from Hawaii and other topical regions for ages. Coconut oil typically contains
- Saturated fats and some traces of mono-saturated fats
- Lauric acid
- Myristic acid
- Some traces of Vitamin A, C and E
“In search of all natural and multipurpose products I laid my hands on my first jar of coconut oil and I was completely swooned over by benefits of coconut oil and what wonders it did. A number of celebrities are already part of the coconut oil celebrity craze.”
Read on to find some amazing tricks and uses of coconut oil and get all your coconut-oil questions answered.
15. Coconut Oil As A Moisturizer
Is coconut oil good for skin? Yes, in fact it is one of the best natural moisturizers around. It is rich in fats and vitamin E. Due to these two properties some even say it has great anti-ageing properties. Usually wrinkles are caused by free radicals such as smoke, sun exposure and pollution. These tend to dry the skin and deprive it of natural collagen. Coconut oil keeps your skin well moisturized and supple. It keeps the wrinkles from forming and the ‘lauric acid’ which is an active ingredient in many beauty products helps fight against the damage caused by free radicals and the natural fats help in locking the moisture of your skin.
- Just take a dollop of coconut oil in the hand of your palm. It will start to melt with the heat of your body. Apply it on your legs and arms or wherever you have dry skin.
- For baby soft skin- apply coconut oil right after a shower on damp skin, you will not only be smelling divine but will also have an all over glow
- Since it is so rich in fatty acids, it makes an amazing foot cream as well. After soaking your feet in warm water, just apply coconut oil on your feet lavishly and wear cotton socks. Your cracked heels and calluses will be smooth in no time if you are facing some kind of corn on foot issues than they can also be resolved.
14. Coconut Oil As Sunburn Treatment
People living in tropical regions know well of the coconut oil skin benefits. It is the secret behind the beauty of women of these regions. Since they are exposed to the UV rays of the sun practically all year around; they use coconut oil profusely as a sunburn treatment. The natural fatty acids and vitamin E provide great relief against sunburn. So if you have been sunburned or are about to hit the beach you know exactly what to carry around.
- Remember never to use coconut oil right after sun exposure, as the high fat content in it can sometime prevent the heat from escaping your skin by creating a barrier. First let the skin cool down, or preferably take a cold shower than go for the coconut oil.
- For extra relief you can add a few drops essential oils such as lavender or tea tree oil for a soothing sunburn cure.
13. Coconut Oil For Nails & Cuticles
Another one of the coconut oil benefits is that it strengthens your nails and works as an emollient to soften your cuticles. Dry, brittle nails are impossible to grow and break easily. Sometimes wearing nail polish for too long keeps the oxygen from reaching your nails, this gives your nails a dull yellowish appearance. Coconut oil takes care of all these problems. You will find ingredients such as vitamin E and lauric acid in most of the hand and nail creams. Coconut oil happens to be a natural source of both these.
- To make your nails become strong and grow fast mix equal amounts of coconut oil and honey, add a few drop of rosemary oil to this. Soak your nails in this for about 20 minutes. This makes a great nail soak to strengthen weak nails.
- Fifteen minutes before taking a shower apply coconut oil to your cuticles. After a warm shower your cuticles will be very soft and easy to remove
- Another great way to use coconut oil which strengthens the nails and whitens dark knuckles is that in about two tablespoons of coconut oil, mix 1/4th teaspoon of sugar and few drops of lemon juice. Scrub your hands gently with this homemade scrub and rinse off. This DIY sugar scrub exfoliates while moisturizing.
“Coconut oil keeps your skin well moisturized and supple. It keeps the wrinkles from forming and the ‘lauric acid’ which is an active ingredient in many beauty products helps fight against the damage caused by free radicals.”
12. Coconut Oil For Face
Famous beauties like Gisele Bundchen and Jennifer Aniston who are known for their glowing dewy skins endorse coconut oil for skin. Coconut oil makes an amazing overnight mask and nighttime moisturizer. Coconut oil keeps wrinkles from forming and its beneficial nutrients give a boost to your collagen production. You can apply coconut oil whenever you want to for a glowing face and it works great as an under makeup primer as well. Just make sure you go a little easy on it when using it as a primer. Here the key is less is more. You can also try these amazing face masks for your face
- For that golden glow, mix ½ a teaspoon of turmeric in about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Add a few drops of lemon juice to this. Apply this mask all over, and then rub in circular motions. Let this mask dry and wash off. This will make your skin soft, supple and give you a healthy glow
- For very dry skin combine equal amounts of honey and coconut oil. You could add a few drops of your favorite essential oils such as lavender or even almond oil to this. Leave on skin for fifteen to twenty minutes. This mask is for intense moisturizing and is great for ageing skin
- Oil cleansing method recently became very popular. If you are ready to ditch your face wash try mixing equal amounts of coconut oil, olive oil and almond oil (about 4 tablespoons of each) To this add 1 tablespoon of lavender oil, and a few drops of tea tree and rosemary oil. You have your own oil cleanser ready.
11. Coconut Oil For Scars And Acne
Next time you get a pimple, do not reach for that acne treatment cream which is chemical laden and sometimes disturb the natural pH level of your skin. Instead, opt for coconut oil. Coconut oil is rich is antibacterial properties and a source of vitamin A, prime ingredient in many acne treatment creams and face washes. Coconut oil gently seeps into your pores and help in pulling the impurities out and vitamin E and lauric acid help in fading away any marks. You can use coconut oil for treating acne and scars in two ways.
- Just apply coconut oil all over face. Cover with a warm wash cloth or towel. This works just like steam cleansing method. After 15 minutes remove towel and wash off with warm water. Do not use cold water as it will further clog your pores.
- For spot treatment you can add few drops of essential rosemary or lavender oil to about 3 oz. coconut oil. Fill this in a dropper bottle and apply directly over your zit. Leave this on overnight for utmost benefits.
10. Coconut Oil As A Makeup Remover
Coconut oil as a makeup remover wins hands down in this category. There are a number of makeup removers available. Experts say a big no to the makeup wipes as they are damaging for the skin and recommend creamy or oil based makeup removers. Coconut oil wipes off even the most daring Smokey eyes or the strongest of waterproof mascaras with very little effort. It removes makeup and gunk from your skin and moisturizes while leaving your skin baby soft. To use coconut oil as a makeup remover:
- Take some coconut oil in your hands and rub it between the palms of your hands so it becomes slightly warm. Then cover your whole face with this. If your eyes are heavily done and you have thick coats of mascaras, take some more of it in between your fingers and apply some more over your lids and the lashes.
- Let it sit on your face for 2-3 minutes or longer if you can.
- Then gently wipe off with cotton balls or a washcloth soaked in warm water.
9. Coconut Oil For Oral Health
Coconut oil is also great for oral health. It can be safely and easily used for oil pulling. Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic treatment for all oral problems such as cavity and tartar buildup and also detoxification. It uses natural oils to pull out the fungus, and harmful bacteria buildup from your tongue, teeth, gums, mouth and even throat. Regular oil pulling whitens teeth and removes stains. It is also very beneficial for those who are suffering from bad breath. How to use coconut oil for oil pulling? Simply take 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and start swishing it around in your mouth. Ideally you are supposed to continue doing this for at least 20 minutes, but it might be a bit difficult to do so in the beginning. You might start from 5-7 minutes and slowly build it up. Do it at least once a day. Oil pulling with coconut oil will
- Whiten your teeth
- Protect you against bleeding gums and other diseases such as gingivitis
- Prevent against bad breath
- Prevents against dry lips, throat and mouth.
“For an instant Kylie Jenner kind of pout, in a pea sized amount of coconut oil add 1/4th teaspoon of sugar, mix well. Apply on lips and gently scrub.”
8. Coconut Oil For Hair
If you are asking is coconut oil good for hair, we will say no, it’s simply amazing! Coconut oil is great in antioxidant properties, reduces damage caused by water loss, restores protein balance, the fats in coconut oil are fat soluble and penetrate deep into the scalp and you’re your shaft. It gives you hair an instant shine and is equally great for deep conditioning. You can use coconut oil for hair in the following ways
- For deep conditioning your hair take a dollop size of coconut oil brush it through your hair and leave it for at least 30 minutes. For that just stepped out of a saloon look leave it in your hair overnight. In the morning after you wash your hair it will be shiny, soft bouncy and will smell simply divine.
- Instead of using hair gel you can also use coconut oil to tame fly away hair when you style it into a bun or a high pony.
7. Coconut Oil For Eyebrows And Lashes
Did you know that one of the many uses of coconut oil is that it can be used as an eye lash and eye brow serum? If your eyebrows have been over plucked or if you want long thick lashes simply coat your eye lashes and brows in the night with a thin layer of coconut oil and watch the magic happen within 6-8 weeks. It is great for filling any gaps in your eyebrows. It can be used as an eyebrow tamer as well. For one of those days when you are wearing little to no makeup and don’t feel like wearing mascara just dab your index finger in jar of coconut oil and run it over your lashes. Lashes will instantly look shinier and thicker. You can make this amazing serum for your lashes and brows as well
- In 1/4th cup of coconut oil mix about 2 tablespoons of castor oil and 1 tablespoon of almond oil. Fill it in a small bottle.
- You could use an old mascara wand to apply this serum on your lashes or use an eye brow brush on your eye brows, apply it before bed and wash it off in the morning.
- You will have longer, fuller lashes and eye brows within 6-8 weeks.
6. Coconut Oil As A leave In Conditioner
Leave in conditioners are great for hair but sometimes the commercial leave-in conditioners can be a bit heavy and leave your hair limp and flat. Instead of bottled leave-in conditioners use coconut oil for hair. It will protect your hair against sun damage, keep the moisture locked in and condition your hair while it smells great. This is one of the best leave in conditioners for color treated and bleached hair. It will keep the color from fading when going out in the sun or going for swimming. Coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner can be used in two ways.
- Simply take pea-sized amount of coconut oil, rub it well between the palms of your hair and fingers and run your hands through wet strands. Make sure you cover all the way to the ends of your hair.
- Another way can be you mix equal amounts of water and coconut oil. Fill it up in a spray bottle and spray onto your hair after shower. Then comb it through your hair to make sure it is equally distributed. Just make sure you shake the bottle well before every spray.
5. Coconut Oil For Lips
Who doesn’t want soft, plump lips? Coconut oil is the answer to just that. It makes one of the best lip balms ever. I personally like it better than most lip balms, and this is what I put on my lips every night. If you have dry, chapped lips within one week’s regular use of coconut oil as a lip balm, you will see the difference.
- For soft pink lips, mix equal amounts of 2 tablespoons each of coconut oil and glycerin. To this add few drops of lemon juice. Mix this well and refrigerate. Apply it every night before going to bed
- For an instant Kylie Jenner kind of pout, in a pea sized amount of coconut oil add 1/4th teaspoon of sugar, mix well. Apply on lips and gently scrub. This will take away all the dead skin, exfoliate your lips very gently and add an instantly give you fuller and plumper lips!
4. Coconut Oil As An Under-Eye Treatment
Your eyes show signs of ageing before any other part of your face. They are the windows to your health. The under eye skin is very sensitive and can get dark circles, fine lines and wrinkles very easily. Lack of sleep, spending too much time in front of the computer and even sun exposure can give us dark circles and crow’s feet. Most of the eye serums and under eye creams you will see have Vitamin E and cocoa butter as a common ingredient along with other ingredients. They are both very beneficial to maintain the youthful appearance of skin around eyes. We are giving you an amazing under eye cream recipe. This will banish dark circles, keep fine lines from appearing and even help in minimizing wrinkles to an extent.
- Take 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel, mix 1 tablespoon each of almond oil and coconut oil to this and add the contents of a vitamin E capsule (the highest potency you can find). Mix it all well and apply overnight.
- With this under eye treatment great lashes come as a bonus!
“Coconut oil is great in antioxidant properties, reduces damage caused by water loss, restores protein balance, the fats in coconut oil are fat soluble and penetrate deep into the scalp and you’re your shaft.”
3. Coconut Oil Body Scrub
Who doesn’t love a good body scrub? It is not always possible to go to the spa but if you want to invigorate your skin and reveal fresh silky smooth skin you can easily use coconut oil for skin rejuvenation. We are giving you two very simple DIY body scrub recipes using coconut oil.
- Mix together 1 cup of coffee grounds, ½ a cup of brown sugar, 1 cup or coconut oil and a few drops of vanilla extract to it. This scrub is great for eliminating cellulite and moisturizing your skin.
- Mix together 1 cup granulated sugar, juice of one lemon, 1 cup of coconut oil, 2-3 tablespoons of almond oil and few drops of lavender oil. This scrub will remove dead skin and moisturize your skin at the same time.
2. Coconut Oil As A Shaving Cream
Shaving your legs can be a pain. Sometimes you are left with tiny hair or a nasty razor burn which just doesn’t look ugly but burns like anything. Coconut oil has essential fatty acids and natural lubricant. It soothes and moisturizes your skin. Next time you want a close shave and those silky smooth legs just soak in a hot bath for a couple of minutes. Then apply coconut oil lavishly all over your legs and shave away. Afterwards wash your razor with warm water so there is no oil residue left behind. You could also make this amazing DIY shaving cream which is very soothing.
- Mix together 1/4th cup of Shea butter, 1/4th cup of coconut oil, 5-6 drops of peppermint oil and 5-6 drops of sandalwood oil. You might need an electric whisk to blend these together well, mix till all the ingredients are combined and become thick like cream. Store in an airtight jar. Use it in place of your regular shaving cream anytime for silky smooth legs.
1. Coconut Oil DIY Deodorant
Over the past few years the usage of chemical laden commercially available deodorants has become a bit controversial. Some say that ingredients such as aluminum and titanium which are common in these deodorants are responsible for high rates of breast cancer. A lot of women have switched to all natural deodorants for this reason. If you are one of those who prefer a holistic approach you will totally fall in love with this amazing DIY deodorant using coconut oil
- Mix together 4 tablespoons of arrowroot powder and 4 tablespoons of baking soda in a bowl. After you have mixed the two dry ingredients well slowly add 6 tablespoons of coconut oil to this while you are stirring. You might adjust the ratios of the ingredients according to your desired consistency. It should form a thick creamy paste.
- You could add a few drops of essential oil such as lavender or vanilla to this for fragrance but this is optional.
- Store in an airtight container and use it as an alternate to deodorant.
We are sure after reading all these coconut oil uses and how beneficial coconut oil is, you too will be ditching a lot of your other beauty products and just start using coconut oil for skin and hair.
Coconut Oil Celebrity Beauty Secrets
A number of celebrities whose beauty and style we have admired over the years are avid coconut oil users. Some of them have been endorsing coconut oil openly. Here are some fun celebrity coconut oil beauty secrets.
- Jillian Michaels, the celebrity trainer and weight loss expert loves cooking in extra virgin coconut oil. She claims it boosts metabolism and is good for weight loss and immunity.
- Kourtney Kardashian claims the coconut oil is the secret behind her luscious shiny hair.
- Gwyneth Paltrow uses only coconut oil for moisturizing her skin
- Gisele Bundechen the gorgeous supermodel who now has her own brand of all natural beauty products uses coconut oil for cleansing and moisturizing her skin
- Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Aniston and Miranda Kerr are also coconut oil diet devotees and use coconut oil for weight loss and giving a boost to their metabolisms.