Morning sickness is one form of health issue that is also known as nausea gravidarum, emesis gravidarum, nausea/vomiting of pregnancy (NVP) or kind of pregnancy sickness. It is a condition that affects almost 60% of the pregnant women. In this condition woman feels vomiting and nausea. She also feels tired and dull almost all the time. Ladies who use contraceptive pills might also face this kind of sickness.
A typical morning sickness happens early in the morning and slowly improves in the coming hours. As compared to its name, many experts say that it can occur at any time of the day. The form of nausea can be mild or severe to induce vomiting. Some symptoms of this sickness get so severe that the woman feels dehydrated, alkalosis (Blood acidity level drops), will lose weight and hypokalemia (Blood potassium drops). When symptoms get severe the condition is called hyperemesis gravidarum and develops in 1% of pregnant ladies. According to a study, 28% of women may feel nausea without vomiting.
This sickness happens latest in the 6th week of pregnancy, but in some cases it may occur even before that. For many ladies, these symptoms can be the very first symptom of being pregnant. Studies have shown that morning sickness comes to an end after 12 week but for some women the symptoms of morning sickness persist for the whole pregnancy.
Morning sickness symptoms are something that a patient reports and feel while a sign is something that other people notice. The most common symptoms of morning symptoms are:
- Severe nausea and vomiting.
- Passing little amount of urine.
- Cannot keep away from the liquid.
- Urine is darker in color.
- Feeling fatigue.
- May vomit blood.
- May faint when stand up.
- Heart palpitation.
A pregnant woman is so likely to develop the problem of morning sickness. However, the risk factor may get severe:
- The woman has experienced morning sickness in her previous pregnancy.
- Before her pregnancy, the woman has gone through nausea or vomiting due to motion sickness, annoying smells, migraines or birth control pills.
- The woman is expecting a surprising twin, triplets, quads etc.
Studies have not shown any specific factor that causes morning sickness. Most experts agree that hormonal changes are the most common factor that causes morning sickness.
- Estrogen Level: Morning sickness may occur due to the increase in the circulatory level of estrogen hormone. Estrogen levels in a pregnant woman increases 100 times as compare to a normal woman.
- Hypoglycemia: When the placenta is draining energy from mother’s body the blood sugar drops and causes morning sickness.
- Progesterone Level: While a woman is pregnant her progesterone level also increases. Increased level of this hormone relaxes the muscles of uterus and controls early childbirth. Its increased level may also cause this kind of sickness.
- Sense of Smell: During pregnancy a woman’s sense of smell increase and sometimes annoy her lot that may cause nausea and vomiting.
These factors usually cause sickness that disturbs the health and environment of a pregnant lady. The treatment for pregnant ladies is usually very limited, as she cannot take a lot of medications. But a few worth health tips morning sickness remedies must be tried to get rid of this problem:
- Rest – The most important factor that has to be followed to eliminate nausea and vomiting, so get plenty of rest.
- Food – Eat healthy and natural. Avoid food high is sugar and oil as they may cause health issues.
- Liquids – Liquids should be taken in fewer amounts but frequently. This may help reduce the problem of vomiting and nausea.
- Stomach – Pregnant ladies should always avoid being an empty stomach.
- Home Remedies – There are a few very effective home remedies that can be followed carefully to get rid of this annoying problem during pregnancy.
Let us have a look at some amazing and effective natural home remedies that cause no side effect and you can surely combat the problem of morning sickness.
Crackers are one amazing food that is light on the stomach and they are very helpful in eliminating the feeling of nausea or vomiting. It is a very useful day to start your day with a consumption of 2-3 crackers during the first few months of your pregnancy. Eat a few crackers throughout the day to combat the problem of morning sickness and also before going to bed.
Make a habit of keeping crackers, salty biscuits, popcorns or whole wheat crackers beside your bed or in your purse, as you need them on a frequent basis and will be quite handy.
14. Potato Chips
Potato chips are usually considered as house fat and carbs but for pregnant women it is just one perfect solution of morning sickness. They should not feel guilty while having them. Their craving for potato chips should be entertained anytime. Eating a few potato chips can be easy on your stomach and really help if you’re feeling nauseous.
Consumption of potato chips can lessen the problem of nausea due to some over-production of saliva. The salt present in the chips helps dry and reduce the saliva that causes vomiting and nausea. Do not over indulge your craving; take a few chips to help keep the sickness away. If you are diet conscious you can have some non-fat variety of chips.
13. Fennel Seeds
The aromatic fragrance of fennel seeds can calm the uneasiness of stomach. It has licorice taste that reduces the problem of nausea and vomiting and gives a fast and effective relief from morning sickness. Its anesthetic property helps reduce nausea and calms down dizziness. So don’t hesitate to use fennel seeds if you’re feeling morning sickness symptoms.
- Take one teaspoon of fennel seeds and chew them raw after every meal. This will help in the digestion process of pregnant ladies.
- You can also try some fennel seed tea. Take about one cup of boiling water and add a teaspoon of fennel seeds.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, strain and drink.
- Mix honey to add flavor.
- Drink this tea whenever you are feeling uncomfortable due to sickness.